Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By shane_1993
  • 1 Post By mareke
  • 1 Post By mareke
  • 1 Post By RoxieKitty
Tramadol addiction
    shane_1993 is offline New Member

Default Tramadol addiction

Hi so I would like to tell you my story and my side of my tramadol addiction. Im 20 years old and have been using tramadol everyday for 5+ years. I picked up the prescription when I was 15. The reason why I picked up the prescription was because I had sleep anxiety(hated sleeping pills because they gave me the worst feeling the next day). My brother was on tramadol so he let me try a few and bam, because instantly attached and felt like I couldn't go on without them. As I knew Tramadol was for pain, I managed to convince my doctor I needed these for sleep(which I actually really did). Tramadol did help me sleep. It slowed my mind down from racing and it relaxed me.

After around 6 months of taking tramadol I felt like I couldn't go through a day without it. I had a prescription of 240 50mg pills per month(which was a mistake on his part, I was supposed to get 120 per month). I took around 7-8 everyday. After my 6 months use, tramadol started to change me, I was happy at times when I peaked it but I because depressed when times Im not on it for a few hours. After the 6 months my doctor found out he was giving me 240/month and lowered the amount to 120/month. Im able to manage with 4/day but Im no longer using tramadol for sleep, because ive taken them so much and gotten used to it that it actually had a reverse effect and kept me from sleeping. So now I get depressed weekly, always have a messed up sleeping schedule and im still addicted.

My point is I want to stop. As hard as it seems I want to get off of tramadol after 5 years of everyday use. It will take me a long time to slsowly lower my dosage to go from 3,2,1 per day. Im concerned that my Depression will act up even more when im off of this. Im scared that my sleep anxiety will increase when im off of it. Ive grown so fondly of tramadol that its changed me on how I react to things and how I get excited, depressed or concerned over things. I feel like I need to get off of it and start fresh and move on. I would need some sort of alterations on medication if I did. Does any1 have any concers or comments or suggestions for me? Thank you for taking the time to read this.
    Lennon Marley likes this.

mareke is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by shane_1993 View Post
    Hi so I would like to tell you my story and my side of my tramadol addiction. Im 20 years old and have been using tramadol everyday for 5+ years. I picked up the prescription when I was 15. The reason why I picked up the prescription was because I had sleep anxiety(hated sleeping pills because they gave me the worst feeling the next day). My brother was on tramadol so he let me try a few and bam, because instantly attached and felt like I couldn't go on without them. As I knew Tramadol was for pain, I managed to convince my doctor I needed these for sleep(which I actually really did). Tramadol did help me sleep. It slowed my mind down from racing and it relaxed me.

After around 6 months of taking tramadol I felt like I couldn't go through a day without it. I had a prescription of 240 50mg pills per month(which was a mistake on his part, I was supposed to get 120 per month). I took around 7-8 everyday. After my 6 months use, tramadol started to change me, I was happy at times when I peaked it but I because depressed when times Im not on it for a few hours. After the 6 months my doctor found out he was giving me 240/month and lowered the amount to 120/month. Im able to manage with 4/day but Im no longer using tramadol for sleep, because ive taken them so much and gotten used to it that it actually had a reverse effect and kept me from sleeping. So now I get depressed weekly, always have a messed up sleeping schedule and im still addicted.

My point is I want to stop. As hard as it seems I want to get off of tramadol after 5 years of everyday use. It will take me a long time to slsowly lower my dosage to go from 3,2,1 per day. Im concerned that my Depression will act up even more when im off of this. Im scared that my sleep anxiety will increase when im off of it. Ive grown so fondly of tramadol that its changed me on how I react to things and how I get excited, depressed or concerned over things. I feel like I need to get off of it and start fresh and move on. I would need some sort of alterations on medication if I did. Does any1 have any concers or comments or suggestions for me? Thank you for taking the time to read this.
    If you are currently taking 200 mg a day you should be able to taper down and stop within a week without too much drama if you are willing to put up with a few unpleasant (but bearable) withdrawal symptoms like feeling tired and psychologically insecure and vulnerable for a few days (typically 4 days). I stopped cold turkey (without tapering down) after taking 400 mg daily for longer than you and while withdrawal was unpleasant it was bearable and after 4 days I felt much better and within several weeks I was free of any cravings for the stuff.

Withdrawal symptoms like feeling low on energy can be countered by drinking energy drinks (I prefer the sugar free variety to avoid weight gain). Energy drinks compensate for the depleted state you feel for about 4 days after stopping tramadol.

If you keep any tramadol around 'just in case' by the way you are likely to take it again in a moment of weakness. If I'd had any around while going through the worst of the withdrawal symptoms I'd have taken the stuff and you are likely to do the same so I wouldn't try to stop if you have a lot left and intend to keep it around as a form of 'security' in case things don't go to plan.

As far as fearing that you might feel depressed on stopping any low period you go through normally passes after the first 4 days off the stuff. If anything once you are through the 4 days of feeling below par after stopping you are more likely to feel good rather than depressed. If you do feel depressed instead of good after weaning yourself off it then consider seeing a doctor about it. Tramadol by the way shouldn't be mixed with antidepressants and treating yourself for depression by taking the stuff is a slippery slope.

I still occasionally take tramadol (for joint pain) in the same dose as you are currently taking but I've been on and off the stuff so many times the process of stopping it is predictable and familiar to me while to you after being continually on it for 5 years it must appear pretty daunting. If you are currently only taking 200 mg daily you aren't far off being able to stop taking it for good. A few days on 100 mg and then stopping is no more difficult in my experience than coming down to 50 mg before stopping. If anything I prefer to stop after tapering down to 100 mg because the whole thing is over quicker whereas a long slow taper just prolongs the whole process. I hope my post has helped a little and good luck coming off it.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-28-2013 at 09:36 AM.
    shane_1993 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mareke View Post
    If you are currently taking 200 mg a day you should be able to taper down and stop within a week without too much drama if you are willing to put up with a few unpleasant (but bearable) withdrawal symptoms like feeling tired and psychologically insecure and vulnerable for a few days (typically 4 days). I stopped cold turkey (without tapering down) after taking 400 mg daily for longer than you and while withdrawal was unpleasant it was bearable and after 4 days I felt much better and within several weeks I was free of any cravings for the stuff.

Withdrawal symptoms like feeling low on energy can be countered by drinking energy drinks (I prefer the sugar free variety to avoid weight gain). Energy drinks compensate for the depleted state you feel for about 4 days after stopping tramadol.

If you keep any tramadol around 'just in case' by the way you are likely to take it again in a moment of weakness. If I'd had any around while going through the worst of the withdrawal symptoms I'd have taken the stuff and you are likely to do the same so I wouldn't try to stop if you have a lot left and intend to keep it around as a form of 'security' in case things don't go to plan.

As far as fearing that you might feel depressed on stopping any low period you go through normally passes after the first 4 days off the stuff. If anything once you are through the 4 days of feeling below par after stopping you are more likely to feel good rather than depressed. If you do feel depressed instead of good after weaning yourself off it then consider seeing a doctor about it. Tramadol by the way shouldn't be mixed with antidepressants and treating yourself for depression by taking the stuff is a slippery slope.

I still occasionally take tramadol (for joint pain) in the same dose as you are currently taking but I've been on and off the stuff so many times the process of stopping it is predictable and familiar to me while to you after being continually on it for 5 years it must appear pretty daunting. If you are currently only taking 200 mg daily you aren't far off being able to stop taking it for good. A few days on 100 mg and then stopping is no more difficult in my experience than coming down to 50 mg before stopping. If anything I prefer to stop after tapering down to 100 mg because the whole thing is over quicker whereas a long slow taper just prolongs the whole process. I hope my post has helped a little and good luck coming off it.
    Thank you a ton for your input... actually if im even take 3 a day instead of 4-5(which is what i usually take) i can feel the difference by a good amount. I think ill go down from 4, to 3 for a week then 3 to 2 for a week and so on... im just really worried about when im completely off of it if i will still have that edge to get my prescription going again becuase like I said i love the way tramadol makes me feel and it helps me sleep. its almost like an anti depressant for me it chills my mind and keeps me calm. I guess i need to find another medicine to substitute it that is non addictive.

Thank you a ton for your input... actually if im even take 3 a day instead of 4-5(which is what i usually take) i can feel the difference by a good amount. I think ill go down from 4, to 3 for a week then 3 to 2 for a week and so on... im just really worried about when im completely off of it if i will still have that edge to get my prescription going again becuase like I said i love the way tramadol makes me feel and it helps me sleep. its almost like an anti depressant for me it chills my mind and keeps me calm. I guess i need to find another medicine to substitute it that is non addictive.
    Tramadol if taken in the morning can help you sleep at night (taken too close to bedtime it can have the opposite effect) but once off the stuff and back to normal you should be able to sleep without resorting to taking tramadol. It can also have an anti-depressant action and a pleasant relaxing effect but unless you have major issues with anxiety and depression it is a poor way of feeling relaxed and of dealing with depression because you come to rely on it without learning coping skills.

I initially took tramadol after seeing a doctor about ongoing arthritic pain that was becoming so bad that I felt that I would not be able to keep working in my stressful job for much longer unless I got relief from the pain. After being prescribed tramadol in place of the anti inflammatory drug I had been taking I discovered to my pleasant surprise that tramadol not only relieved my arthritic pain but also my stress and it gave me a mood lift as well which made it seem like a wander drug just like it must seem to you. I learned however through long experience that the pleasant feeling that tramadol gives you comes at a substantial price which you are only aware of once you wean yourself off it.

When I take the stuff it makes me feel good just like it does you and I can get lots of things done but if I take tramadol for more than a couple of days I start to feel I need it to cope. After stopping and getting back to normal this feeling of needing it to cope goes away and I happily live without it and I am glad to have my natural self confidence and brain clarity back instead of living in a drug haze. You would most likely find the same thing after your brain clarity, normal healthy emotions and natural self confidence returned after being off the drug for several weeks.

Most of your difficulty weaning yourself off it is not the physical discomfort that results from stopping it but rather the psychological hurdle of giving up a drug that you have spent a quarter of your life taking so you have forgotten what it is like to live without it. After weaning yourself off it slowly (or doing it quickly like I suggested in my previous post) you are likely to find as I did that having your brain clarity and self confidence back more than compensates for giving up the artificial feeling of calm and the mood lift the drug produces.Tramadol can make you feel relaxed but so can other things like exercise and there are also other ways of dealing with issues like depression and having trouble sleeping.

Someone your age should be at the peak of your physical and mental powers rather than taking a drug that robs you of your self confidence and makes you a slave to the drug. For someone that has been taking it as long as you have for the reasons you have given you may need to consider seeking help to get off the stuff and help you to deal with your reasons for taking it. I eventually learned better ways of dealing with my arthritic pain, stress and low moods other than taking tramadol but to do this I had to first stop taking the stuff as an easy way of dealing with these issues.

See how you go tapering down and if issues like anxiety and depression become worse rather than better then seek help because you can't spend the rest of your life continually on a drug like tramadol without it having major impacts on your physical and mental health. One example is libido (sex drive). When I first took tramadol in my late 40s my libido all but disappeared. After stopping taking it years later my libido returned and I learned that tramadol was responsible. My confidence also returned. I also learned better ways of dealing with stress and I learned to deal with low moods.

There other drugs that may help with things like anxiety and depression but they all have side effects and problems so you need to see how you go without tramadol and you may be pleasantly surprised that many of your issues with anxiety, depression and inability to sleep were made worse by tramadol rather than better. When I gave up tramadol cold turkey after taking 400 mg daily for years I began to enjoy feeling back to my old self again and dealing with problems using my own resources and I discovered that I didn't need tramadol like I thought I did. You might find the same.

The doctor that prescribes the stuff is not typical of most doctors because from what you described he should not have given it to you. That doctor is not going to be around for the rest of your life so I would be trying to rid myself of your dependence on the stuff now while you are still young and can start life fresh without it. Good luck.
    shane_1993 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mareke View Post
    Tramadol if taken in the morning can help you sleep at night (taken too close to bedtime it can have the opposite effect) but once off the stuff and back to normal you should be able to sleep without resorting to taking tramadol. It can also have an anti-depressant action and a pleasant relaxing effect but unless you have major issues with anxiety and depression it is a poor way of feeling relaxed and of dealing with depression because you come to rely on it without learning coping skills.

I initially took tramadol after seeing a doctor about ongoing arthritic pain that was becoming so bad that I felt that I would not be able to keep working in my stressful job for much longer unless I got relief from the pain. After being prescribed tramadol in place of the anti inflammatory drug I had been taking I discovered to my pleasant surprise that tramadol not only relieved my arthritic pain but also my stress and it gave me a mood lift as well which made it seem like a wander drug just like it must seem to you. I learned however through long experience that the pleasant feeling that tramadol gives you comes at a substantial price which you are only aware of once you wean yourself off it.

When I take the stuff it makes me feel good just like it does you and I can get lots of things done but if I take tramadol for more than a couple of days I start to feel I need it to cope. After stopping and getting back to normal this feeling of needing it to cope goes away and I happily live without it and I am glad to have my natural self confidence and brain clarity back instead of living in a drug haze. You would most likely find the same thing after your brain clarity, normal healthy emotions and natural self confidence returned after being off the drug for several weeks.

Most of your difficulty weaning yourself off it is not the physical discomfort that results from stopping it but rather the psychological hurdle of giving up a drug that you have spent a quarter of your life taking so you have forgotten what it is like to live without it. After weaning yourself off it slowly (or doing it quickly like I suggested in my previous post) you are likely to find as I did that having your brain clarity and self confidence back more than compensates for giving up the artificial feeling of calm and the mood lift the drug produces.Tramadol can make you feel relaxed but so can other things like exercise and there are also other ways of dealing with issues like depression and having trouble sleeping.

Someone your age should be at the peak of your physical and mental powers rather than taking a drug that robs you of your self confidence and makes you a slave to the drug. For someone that has been taking it as long as you have for the reasons you have given you may need to consider seeking help to get off the stuff and help you to deal with your reasons for taking it. I eventually learned better ways of dealing with my arthritic pain, stress and low moods other than taking tramadol but to do this I had to first stop taking the stuff as an easy way of dealing with these issues.

See how you go tapering down and if issues like anxiety and depression become worse rather than better then seek help because you can't spend the rest of your life continually on a drug like tramadol without it having major impacts on your physical and mental health. One example is libido (sex drive). When I first took tramadol in my late 40s my libido all but disappeared. After stopping taking it years later my libido returned and I learned that tramadol was responsible. My confidence also returned. I also learned better ways of dealing with stress and I learned to deal with low moods.

There other drugs that may help with things like anxiety and depression but they all have side effects and problems so you need to see how you go without tramadol and you may be pleasantly surprised that many of your issues with anxiety, depression and inability to sleep were made worse by tramadol rather than better. When I gave up tramadol cold turkey after taking 400 mg daily for years I began to enjoy feeling back to my old self again and dealing with problems using my own resources and I discovered that I didn't need tramadol like I thought I did. You might find the same.

The doctor that prescribes the stuff is not typical of most doctors because from what you described he should not have given it to you. That doctor is not going to be around for the rest of your life so I would be trying to rid myself of your dependence on the stuff now while you are still young and can start life fresh without it. Good luck.
    Wow some of the best advice ive gotten in literally anything. I think too that once I am off of it for good that I will be/feel ok. Its almost like tramadol has had a reverse effect on me like you said. It calms me down but sort of messed with my mind and its not natural. If i'm off of it my mind and body will become natural and i'll feel better/have more confidence. Also going to the gym and working out is a great way to relieve stress I will look into that, thank you a bunch.

Wow some of the best advice ive gotten in literally anything. I think too that once I am off of it for good that I will be/feel ok. Its almost like tramadol has had a reverse effect on me like you said. It calms me down but sort of messed with my mind and its not natural. If i'm off of it my mind and body will become natural and i'll feel better/have more confidence. Also going to the gym and working out is a great way to relieve stress I will look into that, thank you a bunch.
    That's exactly what should happen unless perhaps you have underlying issues that the drug masks but even then you are arguably better off not taking it. After stopping your mind and body will return to their natural state and you should feel better and more confident as a result. When you are on the stuff continually like you have been you quickly forget what it was like to be your natural self and how you handled problems and you start to believe that you need tramadol to cope. On tramadol you are probably 70% of the person you naturally are when drug free so you start to believe that you can't do things without it. Once you are off it and your body and brain return to normal (typically on the fifth day without it) you have all of your natural latent coping abilities back and you find that you can handle life's challenges better without the stuff because your natural abilities are no longer blunted.

Tramadol works partly by muting the nervous system like alcohol does so it relieves pain and anxiety but it also has a pleasant stimulant action (probably increasing the amount of serotonin in your brain) which results in it acting like an anti-depressant and it also makes you feel like you have boundless energy. Any drug that does that is bound to be attractive (and addictive) for a lot of people. One reason that doctors freely prescribe it is because while it can be addictive (something which many doctors are either unaware of or play down) it can be stopped without resulting in horrendous withdrawal symptoms the way that stronger drugs do. Even after taking 400 mg daily for years I was able to stop cold turkey without needing to get help to do so. The only thing I needed to stop it was the willpower to do it and the willingness to put up with moderate but bearable discomfort of the withdrawal symptoms for four days.

After stopping you will continue to feel better the longer you stay off it peaking at around the 3 week mark based on my experience by which time you'll hopefully start to feel so good that you won't want to take tramadol except possibly in times of extreme stress when the memory of how it relieved anxiety by muting your nervous system and making you feel good might tempt you to take it again. If you do take it again for more than a couple of days you'll be hooked again and want to keep taking it because of the way the drug changes your perceptions and to avoid the letdown (typically lasting around 4 days) that always occurs when you stop.

You can confirm if I'm right by stopping but not telling your doctor and continuing to get it until you are sure you are better off without it (however this has its dangers in that having it around means you could take it in a moment of weakness and undo all the good work of coming off it). After I stopped I told my doctor I'd stopped and he was pleased but a year and a half later after the pain from my arthritis continued to be a problem my doctor suggested I try going back on it taking a moderate dose occasionally when my pain is bad and ongoing and I agreed.

I still take tramadol occasionally but instead of taking 120 50 mg capsules per month like you and being on it continually I take 120 50 mg capsules per year (I'm only on it 10% of the time rather than 100% of the time like you are) taking it selectively. I take it when my arthritic pain is bad and ongoing but I only take it for a day or two at the most and then I stop even though I'm tempted to continue to take it. For me stopping is a predictable process that holds no fears because I've been through it many times.

Tramadol makes everything including exercise easier for me (while you are still on it try exercising regularly and continuing the habit after stopping) but because of the substantial downside in taking it I only take it occasionally. If I was to compare being on the stuff and off it and which state I prefer being off it is far better because I'm my natural self with all of my natural abilities and personality. Being on the stuff however has some advantages but only as long as I am on it for brief periods. I'm now less inclined to take it than ever because I know the downside of taking it too well to be fooled into thinking that it's a great drug because it enables me to get lots done while feeling less pain.

I'd hate to be dependant on the stuff the way you are because if your doctor suddenly moved and you had to find another one willing to prescribe the stuff you might very well find you can't get any more of the stuff. If that happens you'll have no choice but to go cold turkey once you run out (and that will make you feel like you are facing a crisis). In your case taking a drug that's meant to be taken as a painkiller (it's not even a particularly good painkiller) when pain isn't an issue is a foolish thing to do and the sooner you are off it for good and back to living life without it with all of its ups and downs the better. Five years is a long time for someone your age to be on it. Now is a good time to put it behind you while you still have your best years in front of you.

Terryinraleigh is offline New Member

I'm coming off about eight months of being on Trams. If God made a drug just for me, this is it. It makes me feel relaxed, confident, bold, cocky and sleep like a baby. My terrible back pain melted away. I had the perfect job interview. I was calm, smart and focused and won out over many other candidates.
    I have succeeded at my new job with flying colors.
    I tried to taper off this stuff and three days after my last crumb I fell off a cliff. It was like someone picked me up and tossed me into a terrifying black hole. I cried for no reason for hours. I had to leave work in the middle of the day and not explain why.
    Depressed?? um yes. Anxiety? >>>> yes.
    I started Zoloft and Tranzene yesterday. I also have some Xanax for really bad moments.
    I want to get high so bad I cant put it into words.
    I know things will get better.
    The dam has broken many years too soon and my head is exploding with dark forbodings.
    But there is a light, a tiny photon of it, at the end of the tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by Terryinraleigh View Post
    I'm coming off about eight months of being on Trams. If God made a drug just for me, this is it. It makes me feel relaxed, confident, bold, cocky and sleep like a baby. My terrible back pain melted away. I had the perfect job interview. I was calm, smart and focused and won out over many other candidates.
    I tried to taper off this stuff and three days after my last crumb I fell off a cliff. It was like someone picked me up and tossed me into a terrifying black hole. I cried for no reason for hours. I had to leave work in the middle of the day and not explain why.
    I started Zoloft and Tranzene yesterday. I also have some Xanax for really bad moments.
    The dam has broken many years too soon and my head is exploding with dark forbodings.
    Stopping it the way you have while working makes it tough. The ideal way to stop it is when you have no commitments and can rest while going through the low period lasting 4 days before you typically start to feel better on day 5. For anyone that’s been on it for 8 months having several weeks off while transitioning back to normal would be ideal.

Use the tranzene and xanax to help you get through until your body and brain have returned to normal and after two or three weeks you may be surprised that it feels good not to be on the stuff. If you use the tranzene and xanax longer than that then they’ll become a substitute for the tramadol and just as big a problem. I can’t speak for the anti-depressant as the only time a doctor prescribed me an anti-depressant it made me feel ghastly so I stopped taking it and refused to take another.

Don’t sell yourself short thinking that you won’t be able to cope without it. In time you will realise that you can function well off it and perhaps better off it than on it if my experience is anything to go by. The person that you felt did so well in the job interview is still there. You weren't chosen just because you looked relaxed and confident during the interview but also because of the things you said that indicated that you could do the job. When you did the job all the tramadol did was make you feel good while doing it. The tramadol didn’t do the job for you. You did the job and you can still do it or other jobs without it even if you don’t feel as relaxed, calm, cocky etc. Feelings are just feelings and they don’t run our lives.

Right now while transitioning back to normal you won’t realise the above is true but if you wait and give it a chance you’ll find that being off the stuff has its compensations that can more than make up for the pleasant feelings that you now miss.

When I take the stuff I feel just like you described-more relaxed, calmer, more confident, more sociable etc. That doesn’t mean I’m better able to deal with life’s challenges. All it means is that I feel better thanks to a drug. When I have my brain clarity back after stopping I find there are compensations that make up for those pleasant feelings but I have to wait out the transition back to normal just like you are going through now and then I’m always glad to be off the stuff again.

Tramadol mutes everything not just unpleasant things like anxiety, stress, pain etc. It also mutes brain clarity that once you have back will make you better able to see different ways of solving problems.

That light at the end of the tunnel you wrote of isn’t as far off as it now seems. In a couple of weeks as your old natural self returns you may realise that it wasn’t the great drug you thought it was. Good luck.

johnnythejet is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Terryinraleigh View Post
    I just came off trams (200mg/day) after 3+ years. It was the perfect drug for me as well and so easy to attain. Had I known what it would end up doing to me though, I’d have never touched the stuff. About 4 weeks ago I took my last crumb after weaning down over the course of a few months. On the 4th day I had a complete melt down and cried uncontrollably for the better part of an hour. Some people can stop Tram with little problem but people like you and I are different. Thanks to some great advice I opted out of trying anti-depressents and just concentrated on staying active and exercising as much as possible. For me, that did the trick and I stand here today feeling great with 95% of the nasty WD symptoms behind me. I still get familiar aches when I sit on the couch for too long, but my overall health and well-being is much improved. I certainly don’t need any anti-depressents but a couple months ago I was all but 100% sure I did. After taking my last crumb, I flushed the remaining tram down the toilet otherwise I might have given in. Yes, there is light at the end of the tunnel…..and not just a tiny photon. You’re almost there. Hang in there!

RoxieKitty is offline Junior Member

I'd like to represent the MANY who have had and are still having the horrible detox process of going off Tramadol. Those who have had "no problem" coming off this drug must indeed have angels sitting on their shoulders. It's been since Sept. the 12th going c/t for me after 2-3 years of use & I'm still having very bad symptoms of w/d. Maybe by going c/t it made a difference to the length the symptoms last but after reading other posts, Tramadol is a real BI**H to come off of. I just want to let people know that it is NOT normally easy to get clean from & I DO NOT recommend its use. That's my personal experience anyways. If anyone is still struggling after a couple of months, please post your experience. Thank you
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

crysome is offline New Member

Hi,I was wondering if anyone else was going through what I have.I was taking 15 50mg a day for about 15 years. My doctor told me that I couldn't get addicted so I didn't worry. I went off them ct September 2 and I feel like I have no energy and so depressed I don't want to get out of bed in the morning..... I dont know what to do but I can't stand feeling this way☺

RoxieKitty is offline Junior Member

I truly feel for you. I've been clean since Sept 12th & am still feeling horrible. Depressed, fits of anger, no energy, often nauseous, pains in legs & feet, heart palpitations & insomnia. I don't understand how some people can get over the detoxing so easily; it seems. My new doctor says its quite normal to feel awful for many months. Depressing but apparently the par for such an evil drug. I'm ust praying lots & trying to leave in the Lords hands. Staying hydrated is important & exercise; even if you don't feel like it. Try & stay positive; although that's the hardest thing for me when you're feeling so lousy

sawtooth is offline New Member

Default Dosage and management.

I have a hard time relating to the problems most of you are having with Tramadol. I don't mean to minimize the problems any of you are going through, and don't by no means am I dismissing your issues, but my experience has been much different. I was prescribed 50mg 4/day for a knee injury 6 years ago. I also suffer from bi-polar and had tried several medications/anti-depressants and refused to take all of them because of the feelings/side effects. However, after the pain subsided from the initial knee injury I noticed how much better my moods and feelings were. How much more clarity of thought and how much less anxiety I felt.
    I continue to take Tramadol to this day. However, I do not take it every day and never take more than 2 50mg in a day(one in the morning and one around 4pm). When I start feeling depressed, anxious, manic, etc I can take it for 2 to 5 days and then stop. It keeps me from cycling through the manic/depressed phases and allows me to function normally.
    I think that if I took it every day in the dosages that many of you are mentioning, I might have the same problems. As in all things, I believe that moderation, management and communication with your doctor are key. I have gone as long as two months without taking it and never take more than 5 days in a row. This keeps the addition monkey at bay in my opinion and allows me to utilize this amazing drug to function normally when needed. With the correct dosage and management I think this drug can help a lot of bi-polar sufferers like myself have completely normal lives (whatever that means).

Scarletmyst86 is offline New Member

I am going through the same thing right now shane, and i've realized that when I was taking my higher doses of tramadol, instead of feeling good/energetic..I started getting really crabby and rude. snappy- like when I was watching tv and my mother interrupted I would sigh, roll my eyes, or get an attitude. That is not how I was in the beginning-only after it became a problem. I can't handle that, because its not me.
    I wish you the best of luck and please keep in touch and let us know how you are! Since I'm going through the same thing, I would like us to help each other.

Vicky

Hogweed is offline New Member

I have suffered from lifelong, intractable, anxiety and depression. I have tried pretty much every medication out there, and none has been AT ALL helpful, and all have had unpleasant side-effects. I’ve also had many kinds of “therapy”, from analysis to CBT etc – useless.

A few months ago, I was prescribed Tramadol for bad neck pain (broken, motorbike, 40 years ago). I discovered that, if I took anything like the maximum dose (400mg a day, 2 x 50mg every 4 hours), I was pole-axed for a whole day – dreamy, euphoric, happy but completely lacking in ability (or interest) in doing anything. I listened to classical music for 13 hours, and I don’t even LIKE classical music. You could have drilled holes in my teeth and I wouldn't have cared too much.

Some months later, my anxiety/depression was crippling – normally, I reserve a few diazepam for emergencies, but this time I decided to see what 100mg of Tramadol would do.

Put it like this – it took them a couple of hours to work, then the sun came out inside my poor, tortured brain. Several times that day, I cried with happiness – I just felt NORMAL. Not euphoric, not high, just **** normal! Don’t ask me how I know what normal is – believe me, when you're not, you’ll know. But (eg) I reacted to stimuli the same way average people do – I laughed at jokes, I didn't find people particularly irritating, I didn’t lose my temper at small things etc etc etc. You wouldn’t want to know me normally.

I decided to take 100mg in the morning on Saturdays and Sundays, which are my worst days, as there’s no work to distract me. Wonderful, wonderful. Problem solved after 60 years.

Then, one Saturday, I decided that, if 100mg was good, 200 might be better – so I took two more tabs about 2:00 – and better it was. I was able to do really boring things happily, and sped around my house like Superman, vacuuming, tidying, ironing shirts etc – all hated jobs, now accompanied by whistling. I did the same on Sunday.

Unfortunately, on the Monday, I suffered a day-long panic attack of the worst kind; still had some of it on Tuesday. Did the same next weekend; same results all round. I haven’t taken any for maybe 3 weeks now, and am back to my normal unhappy self. This weekend, I intend to try again with just 100mg on Sat, same on Sun, and see if I still feel suicidal on Monday.

The leaflet that came with my tablets (here in the UK) said that fewer than 1/1000 people will experience any kind of euphoria etc – clearly I’m one of those “special” people, but which also probably means that I’m the 1/1000 who will suffer severe withdrawal symptoms after only 400mg over an entire weekend… so I guess a few of you will find this problem, and most won’t.

I have a friend with bad pain (damaged nerve) who eats Tramadol in handfuls when he gets a bad attack, then suffers no withdrawal whatsoever – but he doesn't get any kind of high off them either.

I’ll report back after I’ve tried the new regime…
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-23-2015 at 06:31 AM.

ROD530 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hogweed View Post
    I have suffered from lifelong, intractable, anxiety and depression. I have tried pretty much every medication out there, and none has been AT ALL helpful, and all have had unpleasant side-effects. I’ve also had many kinds of “therapy”, from analysis to CBT etc – useless.

A few months ago, I was prescribed Tramadol for bad neck pain (broken, motorbike, 40 years ago). I discovered that, if I took anything like the maximum dose (400mg a day, 2 x 50mg every 4 hours), I was pole-axed for a whole day – dreamy, euphoric, happy but completely lacking in ability (or interest) in doing anything. I listened to classical music for 13 hours, and I don’t even LIKE classical music. You could have drilled holes in my teeth and I wouldn't have cared too much.

Some months later, my anxiety/depression was crippling – normally, I reserve a few diazepam for emergencies, but this time I decided to see what 100mg of Tramadol would do.

Put it like this – it took them a couple of hours to work, then the sun came out inside my poor, tortured brain. Several times that day, I cried with happiness – I just felt NORMAL. Not euphoric, not high, just **** normal! Don’t ask me how I know what normal is – believe me, when you're not, you’ll know. But (eg) I reacted to stimuli the same way average people do – I laughed at jokes, I didn't find people particularly irritating, I didn’t lose my temper at small things etc etc etc. You wouldn’t want to know me normally.

I decided to take 100mg in the morning on Saturdays and Sundays, which are my worst days, as there’s no work to distract me. Wonderful, wonderful. Problem solved after 60 years.

Then, one Saturday, I decided that, if 100mg was good, 200 might be better – so I took two more tabs about 2:00 – and better it was. I was able to do really boring things happily, and sped around my house like Superman, vacuuming, tidying, ironing shirts etc – all hated jobs, now accompanied by whistling. I did the same on Sunday.

Unfortunately, on the Monday, I suffered a day-long panic attack of the worst kind; still had some of it on Tuesday. Did the same next weekend; same results all round. I haven’t taken any for maybe 3 weeks now, and am back to my normal unhappy self. This weekend, I intend to try again with just 100mg on Sat, same on Sun, and see if I still feel suicidal on Monday.

The leaflet that came with my tablets (here in the UK) said that fewer than 1/1000 people will experience any kind of euphoria etc – clearly I’m one of those “special” people, but which also probably means that I’m the 1/1000 who will suffer severe withdrawal symptoms after only 400mg over an entire weekend… so I guess a few of you will find this problem, and most won’t.

I have a friend with bad pain (damaged nerve) who eats Tramadol in handfuls when he gets a bad attack, then suffers no withdrawal whatsoever – but he doesn't get any kind of high off them either.

I’ll report back after I’ve tried the new regime…
    Well I can tell you this, from being an addict for more than 5 in a half years drugs pretty much have ruined everything good for me. My mother was a drug addict pretty much my whole childhood, she did any drug you can think of when she was pregnant with me so I was born dependent. My father died when I was 16 an my mom Juss had neck surgery an was prescribed any an all the drugs she wanted. From everything me an her have been through, seeing her bearing to life, overdosing an me having to call the ambulance I snapped. I have up an lost interest in everything but drugs. In high school I went to school everyday high. Whether it be Xanax, norco, Vicodin, alcohol, ecstasy, or all of the above. I was in a bad spot, I knew one thing an that was to prove everyone that doubted me wrong to get my diploma, so I did, but I was high everyday. Today, I an 7 days clean off of everything but marijuana. I started working construction about six months ago an found that trimadol or norco make work enjoyable. Regardless if I had anything for work I still work my ass off. That's one thing I have done my life. I started with nothing so everything I have is all earned from hard work, an I'm not one to boast but I am doing a lot better than any 21 year old I know. I am Juss an addict an will always be one, I am over depending on a drug to make me happy though. It's all superficial an everything I own could go down the drain Juss because of my addiction. On my 7th day off of everything my spirits are really high but I'm still experiencing a bit of w/d. I am excessively sweating but it does get better. Anyway, my advice to you is to Juss quit takin anything all together. Nothing else is better than creating happiness for you than yourself!!

Sharpschruter is offline New Member

Default Help is available

Tramadol controlled my life for 3 years. I ramped up to so much my prescription didn't cut it and I started ordering it online. I had to constantly adjust my dosage to achieve the desired effect (happy, calm, GREAT sleep, confidence, but later agitation and a lousy attitude) and when I took 32 fifty mg pills in a day, I knew it was time to quit and I'm surprised I'm still alive.

Withdrawal is different for everyone, but for me and the high dosage I was on, it required medical intervention. I had a 3 day detox at the hospital (they kept me comfortable) and it took about a month before I felt completely back to my old self. I was uncomfortable for a week and panicky, couldn't sleep, was weak, got depressed, and that was all after a mostly pain free inpatient detox so if you are doing it on your own, I salute you. The effect of the drug for me was loss of appetite so I gained quite a bit of weight in the year I have been sober from it. Be aware of that.

You can taper slowly but if you have been taking it for a long time, you're going to have some kind of withdrawL. There's no shame in seeking help. I'm finally free from worrying if I'm going to run out, free from wondering how im going to manage to pay for the large quantities I bought monthly, and overal FREE!!! It's a great feeling. Good luck!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-10-2015 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Typo

Well, I tried it – it only took 2-4 capsules a day to transform my life. I’m a recovering alcoholic, and I never thought I’d hear myself say that something was at least as good as drink… it appears that maybe 1 in 2-5000 people are extraordinarily sensitive to T, and get that kind of perfection.

Unfortunately, what I also discovered was that my two days in Heaven (Saturday and Sunday) were followed by 2 days in Hell – Monday and Tuesday. I got horrendous withdrawal symptoms, off only a small dose, for only two days… panic, terror, appallingly stressed… just awful.

I destroyed my stash of something like 500 tablets. Never again.

Anonymous Guest

Default Serious addiction

Hi guys, struggled to make a fresh post so just replying here.

Just read everyones storys above since 2013.
    And i wouldnt usually comment but its made me worried.
    People talking about 200mg a day and trying to taper..
    I find 200mg lying around the house and eat them like sweets.

Ive got tramadol 200mg big reds.
    Im taking 2.5,2.5,2.5,2 a day
    Just under 2000mg.

This built up from when i used to get the little yellow and green ones from the doc.
    I used to take 100mg a day.

Anyway.
    Its been 9 years.

The main reasons i want to stop are we cant go on holiday, we rarley have sex, ive got a sinus infection from it and it stinks, when i wake in the morning unless i have some tram next to my bed i literally crawl to find them i have no energy and feel dizzy and like i cant function.
    Its really messed up.
    Other issues, cant go to the toilet, weight gain, lazy, dont want to go out as getting all my stimulation from the pills, driving gf mad.

Ive tried tapering, soon as something stressful comes up i up my dose,

Im affraid if i go CT ill have heart problems.
    Some people having stroke going CT off tram, my hearts already dicky, have to sleep on my right side.

I need advice what to do, what supplements i need to stock up on, im sure my body will hammer its natural supplys of this n that if i go CT i want to have the best chance, ive got a crate of energy drinks, i can book 2 weeks off work, but what else?

On a side note
    If ur reading this and ur on 300-400mg a day trying to quit, i WISH i could go bk to that dose as >> do it right away, theres no future for u on tram, it only gets worse, u dont want to end up like me,
    Seriously, taper for a week and be free before its too late. Ur dose WILL increase, even if u think u have it under control,
    Its not about will power, addiction is the devil, itll drag u down when ur not paying attention, im 6ft5, 24stone, ex body builder,ex navy, i HAVE will power, i have strength, but i cant beat this, its made a mockery of everything i am, if it can take me down it can take anyone.
    Dont think u have it under control. Just stop NOW.

Addiction is the only prison where the bars are in your mind...

Default Addiction

Quote Originally Posted by Lomax111 View Post
    Addiction is the only prison where the bars are in your mind...
    My friend, I am a recovering alcoholic, with 8 years’ sobriety, and I feel your pain. Your will power and strength (which sound considerable) are of little use when it comes to addiction, in my experience. I am an extraordinarily strong-willed person, but tried EVERYTHING to stop drinking for about 13 years before I managed it with the help of Alcoholics Anonymous, which is now a regular (happy) part of my life.

My personal experience and opinion only, do with it what you will, but I feel you’re backing a loser if you try to do it alone. I don’t have any first hand experience of Narcotics Anonymous, but I understand it’s based on AA, which is a serious recommendation in my book. And it’ll work just as well for legal drugs as the other kind ;-)

Best wishes
    Roger