Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sickofthem
  • 1 Post By iloerose
What happens???
    sickofthem is offline New Member

Question What happens???

Hi,
    I am new to this! I have a lot of questions about suboxone. My boyfriend was on Vicodin for 2 years and then off and on suboxone for 5 years! He weened off of the suboxone and has been clean for about 17 days now. He just told me this about a week after he stopped taking them. For a few years he was taking 1mg in morning and 1mg around 3pm. I guess my questions are when he was taking them, what did it do for him, how did it make him feel? Now that he is off of them he is having trouble with sleeping and depression, energy (probably caused by withdrawal?). How long is it going to be until he is back to normal and when he is what should I expect. He tells me that when he was on them it "masked" his issues like his crazy ex girlfriend who he has twins with or just dealing with stuff he didn't want to. Even in our relationship he showed emotions but he tells me that he will be able to show and tell me a lot more emotional stuff with me. I have tried to research this drug but still don't understand it. Also might sound like a stupid question, but does taking the suboxone make you gain weight and what are if any long term side effects?
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

JordanJones5 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by sickofthem View Post
    Hi,
    I am new to this! I have a lot of questions about suboxone. My boyfriend was on Vicodin for 2 years and then off and on suboxone for 5 years! He weened off of the suboxone and has been clean for about 17 days now. He just told me this about a week after he stopped taking them. For a few years he was taking 1mg in morning and 1mg around 3pm. I guess my questions are when he was taking them, what did it do for him, how did it make him feel? Now that he is off of them he is having trouble with sleeping and depression, energy (probably caused by withdrawal?). How long is it going to be until he is back to normal and when he is what should I expect. He tells me that when he was on them it "masked" his issues like his crazy ex girlfriend who he has twins with or just dealing with stuff he didn't want to. Even in our relationship he showed emotions but he tells me that he will be able to show and tell me a lot more emotional stuff with me. I have tried to research this drug but still don't understand it. Also might sound like a stupid question, but does taking the suboxone make you gain weight and what are if any long term side effects?

Now that your boyfriend is off suboxone, he might soon be out of it. Suboxene does not cause weight gain.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Your boyfriend is an addict who has been clean for only 17 days in over 7 years. No, he will never be the person he was before he became an addict. No, he will not get better overnight. One thing he must get past is this stage of depression, sometimes anxiety, sometimes feeling lost and this is normal when we haven't been been producing our own endorphines and other chemicals that balance our emotions: we have been pretty dead to the world for the whole time we were on the drugs. He is going to be normal when his brain chemistry stabilizes, exercise helps. He is going to have to learn what the new normal is and that is drug free, if he gets depressed and starts to get frustrated there is a great chance for relapse. He has to want to be clean from all drugs more than he wants anything else in his life. I would really suggest NA as a help to get him back into the world of the "new normal" of being clean. We are sooo not used to feeling: but non-addicts are depressed, anxious have good days and bad days. I'm saying that your bf is at a very dangerous place right now. He needs NA, not many people make it: it's very difficult negotiating the clean world for an addict.

Subs do not cause weight gain. Long term side effects are not known, but it can take a whole lot of time for someone to learn to negotiate the world and it's pitfalls clean. Time, time and exercise.

Peace,

Iloerose
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.