Why do people take opiates?
    EyeOnPrize is offline New Member

Default Why do people take opiates?

I'm having a lot of bottled up confusion now that I have quit taking percocets.

What is it about us as addicts to why we get in this predicament I'm the first place?

They are depressants, yet we think we are taking them for a high?
    what were we really doing too ourselves?

Why is it that when a favorite TV show of my would come on I would want to take a little extra? Is It from being in such a good mood and I'm really just trying to bring myself down a little to balance myself out?

But I would also have a horrible day and I felt I had to take more to escape my problems. Was I just making excuses for myself?

I think this would help me very much with my recovery process If I had some answers for myself.

Thanks

OXYmom is offline Member

Default Why?

Quote Originally Posted by EyeOnPrize View Post
    I'm having a lot of bottled up confusion now that I have quit taking percocets.

What is it about us as addicts to why we get in this predicament I'm the first place?

They are depressants, yet we think we are taking them for a high?
    what were we really doing too ourselves?

Why is it that when a favorite TV show of my would come on I would want to take a little extra? Is It from being in such a good mood and I'm really just trying to bring myself down a little to balance myself out?

But I would also have a horrible day and I felt I had to take more to escape my problems. Was I just making excuses for myself?

I think this would help me very much with my recovery process If I had some answers for myself.

Thanks
    It's interesting that I have had these same thoughts and feelings. Does it depend on WHY you started taking them, I wonder? For example, I got mine from the doctor and TRULY had no idea how addictive they would become for me nor did I realize I had an addictive personilty. Does this matter? The end result was the same as if I had been getting them off the street.
    The thing about the tv show and just taking one more....me too. I don't know why I did that. Stressful day at work, check. Fight with husband, check. There were not any situations, really that didn't warrant another pill for me. I even popped them in front of my boss one day during a long meeting. I can't believe I couldn't wait! For me personally, I was making excuses to take another and another all day every day!
    These are just my thoughts, but I too am curious what others might say. And the part you ask about the depressant factor- why do we take them. It is for the euphoric effect it has on our brain chemistry. Makes us feel better and better, superhuman. Or at least it did that for me.

Jonesing is offline Junior Member

For me personally, I took pills to escape reality. The toughest part of being sober now is living life on lifes terms, not using pills to cope with life like I did before. If you find the magic answer please let me know !

Good Luck!

J

PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member

When I was given opiates post-surgery, (Percocet) they made me feel SOOOOOOO GOOOOOOD!

It was a sensory experience that was second to none. It was better than (keeping this G-Rated) you know what. However, the withdrawal was more awful than the high was wonderful.

I know what the allure is, opiates make us escape pain and give a sense of euphoria and a false sense of contentment.

But do not be fooled! It is a cruel, temporary illusion!!!
    Peter