Withdrawing from hydrocodone...26th day...is anyone out there at the same place?
    jujuh is offline Junior Member

Question Withdrawing from hydrocodone...26th day...is anyone out there at the same place?

I've completed 25 days with absolutely no drugs (other than Advil for headaches) and my blood pressure medicine. I was taking 70 mg. hydrocodone daily. I began abusing eight years ago taking 1 or 2 on the weekends, and progressing to 7 10mg. daily. I think almost all of the physical withdrawals have gone. I think the biggest problem I'm having right now is trying to learn how to live again. I still feel lost without that old routine. I'm desperately trying to feel "happy" again, but it's not easy. I'm definitely happy that I'm no longer throwing away money on pills, and that I'm not destroying my liver, but still haven't gotten back to where I used to be before the pills. I would love to hear from someone who is about the same place I am, or a little further, who can tell me if they feel back to "normal" again yet. Sometimes I feel so down and depressed, but I'm still fighting. I won't give up.

donedidit is offline New Member

Default Hi

I'm fairly new around here but, I can tell you that IT DOES GET BETTER! It takes time and more time. Have had some of those days myself.

"Normal" WILL COME

Thanks for answering. If you don't mind me asking...how long have you been off the pills, and about how long did it take before you felt like yourself again?

lawyer100 is offline Junior Member

Default Been there too

Quote Originally Posted by jujuh View Post
    I've completed 25 days with absolutely no drugs (other than Advil for headaches) and my blood pressure medicine. I was taking 70 mg. hydrocodone daily. I began abusing eight years ago taking 1 or 2 on the weekends, and progressing to 7 10mg. daily. I think almost all of the physical withdrawals have gone. I think the biggest problem I'm having right now is trying to learn how to live again. I still feel lost without that old routine. I'm desperately trying to feel "happy" again, but it's not easy. I'm definitely happy that I'm no longer throwing away money on pills, and that I'm not destroying my liver, but still haven't gotten back to where I used to be before the pills. I would love to hear from someone who is about the same place I am, or a little further, who can tell me if they feel back to "normal" again yet. Sometimes I feel so down and depressed, but I'm still fighting. I won't give up.
    I've been off pain pills for about a year or so, maybe longer now. I was taking up to 225 mg of hydrocodone a day, and then moved onto MS Contin and oxymorphone. The withdrawal was a nightmare...I was literally sick for a week, couldn't do anything. I used for about 2 or 3 years. I relapsed shortly after withdrawing b/c I couldn't take the depression. So I found a good psychiatrist that specialized in addiction and Suboxone. So I have been on subs for a year or so. They have made a huge difference...my cravings for opiates are pretty much not there and I feel closer to being normal than I did w/o the subs. I hate to give bad news, but even now I still don't feel like myself before using. I did mess up my liver b/c of all the acetamenophin I was using but thankfully my liver tests have come back normal now. The depression has been awful. This is the hardest part-the psychological withdrawal. I'm not sure how long it normally lasts, if it ever even ends. I still don't feel "normal" which makes me very sad and depressed. I look at other people and wonder "why can't I be like that? why can't I just be happy with life without drugs?". I currently take Cymbalta, Wellbutrin, Seroquel and the Suboxone. My doc also gave me Xanax for a short time and now Adderall to help with my extreme fatigue, and they think I'm ADHD. I can tell you that even with the anti-depressants I still am depressed. If I were you, I'd find a good psych doc that specializes in addiction, and addiction to opiates if possible. Start going to meetings and meet people-I prefer AA meetings over NA. I can't give an answer as to when you'll feel "normal" again, it's different for everyone. But you are ahead of the curve being at 25 days, which is great! I've also recently relapsed on street drugs, so I'm in an even worse state now.

It's going to be hard but you can do it. Time will help, and things should get better with time. But I'd seriously consider trying an anti-depressant. I've dealt with addiction issues all my life, about 20 years. I also suffer major depressive disorder, PTSD, ADHD and bipolar, so my state of mind may be a little worse than yours!! But give it time, and just take it day by day....I think you will start to feel better in time, but you really should get some sort of help to deal with it. I wish you luck and hope you start to feel better in time.

Hi lawyer. Thanks for the information. Just to give you a little more detail: my husband and I both were addicted. He was up to about 120-140 mg. daily. He quit about 2 or 3 weeks before I did, and we've done it by leaning on each other, and on God. The withdrawals were terrible for both of us, but his had to be worse considering he was taking about twice what I was. I can't imagine what you went through withdrawing from 225 mg. My goal is to stay off all meds except maybe my blood pressure medicine, and hopefully I can get off that now that I'm off the pain pills. I've heard they can increase blood pressure. We both went through a lot of the same symptoms (flu-like, diarrhea, insomnia, etc.), but he had things like RLS, whereas I've had tingling in my hands. He tells me that he is feeling pretty much like his old self again (and I'm soooo happy that he is), but I don't feel that way yet. I'm still depressed, unmotivated, feeling kind of lost and alone. I guess that's why I'm here looking for others who still feel like I do. It sounds like you've had a lot on your plate. I'm so sorry you're still battling with your addictions. It's a terrible sickness that absolutely takes over your life. I've known that for a long time, but just couldn't seem to do anything about it. I'll keep you in my prayers. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I can relate to so many of the things you said, especially looking at other people and seeing how happy they are without drugs. I used to be that way, and I'm determined I will be again. Don't ever give up!

Hi lawyer. Thanks for the information. Just to give you a little more detail: my husband and I both were addicted. He was up to about 120-140 mg. daily. He quit about 2 or 3 weeks before I did, and we've done it by leaning on each other, and on God. The withdrawals were terrible for both of us, but his had to be worse considering he was taking about twice what I was. I can't imagine what you went through withdrawing from 225 mg. My goal is to stay off all meds except maybe my blood pressure medicine, and hopefully I can get off that now that I'm off the pain pills. I've heard they can increase blood pressure. We both went through a lot of the same symptoms (flu-like, diarrhea, insomnia, etc.), but he had things like RLS, whereas I've had tingling in my hands. He tells me that he is feeling pretty much like his old self again (and I'm soooo happy that he is), but I don't feel that way yet. I'm still depressed, unmotivated, feeling kind of lost and alone. I guess that's why I'm here looking for others who still feel like I do. It sounds like you've had a lot on your plate. I'm so sorry you're still battling with your addictions. It's a terrible sickness that absolutely takes over your life. I've known that for a long time, but just couldn't seem to do anything about it. I'll keep you in my prayers. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I can relate to so many of the things you said, especially looking at other people and seeing how happy they are without drugs. I used to be that way, and I'm determined I will be again. Don't ever give up!
    Thanks for your response. Boy your husband is lucky that he is feeling his old self again. But I would have to say that is not the norm for people coming off of pain meds/opiates. I've talke to a lot of users of opiates and they always say the depression is the worst part after detoxing. I'm glad I found such a good psych doc-I don't think I'd be doing as well as I am without the medications. Although I find myself very depressed lately...I don't think my meds are working as good anymore. So I'm going to call and get an appointment with my doc soon. But don't feel like you're not normal or that you should be feeling like your old self by now because it can take a long time to get back to that feeling, and some of us never get back to our baseline selves. Yeah I have RLS as it is, and take Requip for it, so the detox was hell on my legs!! But definitely think about getting a therapist or psychiatrist and maybe trying some meds to help you feel better. There are so many good meds out there, and I've not had any side effects from all that I've tried. Detoxing off opiates definitely raises your blood pressure, but now that they're out of your system, keep getting regular checks of your blood pressure and talk to your doc before stopping your med for that. It kind of sounds like you want to stay away from taking any medication, but you really should consider something to help the depression. Like I said there are so many new drugs today that are very safe. Well take care and I hope you start feeling better (you will with time)...keep posting so I know how you're doing...

cferd is offline Member

I wasn't aware that there were meds that help with depression caused by opiate wd. I've always been told that time is the only cure for that. I think it's the depression that causes most relapses.

Well, this is my 27th day, and I'm still here. I know everyone has to handle things in the way that works best for them. I guess the trick is figuring out what that is. I am definitely determined to do this without substitute meds, anti-depressants, or psychiatrists/therapists. I never had trouble with depression before the pill addiction, so I'm just going to tough this out on my own. Lawyer, I hope what you're doing will help you feel better, and one day, make you drug free. I've read so many different ways that people get clean. Each person will have to figure that out for themselves, I guess. I chose to come here and read posts and listen to what others who have been through the same type thing have to say. It certainly helps to obtain a variety of information, and then try and do what seems right for me. I appreciate all the replies, and will continue to check for updates on your situation. Cferd, I think I agree that time is going to be what it takes for me to recover. It's really hard right now, but I do believe that it will get better. Thanks, everyone. God bless!

Thumbs up

Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm starting to feel more like my old self again. April 16th was the last day I took any pills, and it was definitely a rough road for the first month. I'm slowly beginning to modify my daily routine. I actually got outside a couple of days ago and washed my truck. I have been a prisoner in my home for years due to pain pill addiction, and I'm finally beginning my escape back into real life. I know I'm not 100% yet, but I'm getting there. I just wanted to share that with all those who are wondering if it's possible to undo the years of damage that have been done due to addiction. I did this without any other drugs, rehab or therapy, so those of you who, like me, don't feel comfortable with those routes, just know that it's possible to kick the addiction in other ways. I did it with the help of my husband (who's been clean two weeks longer than I have from an even higher mg. addiction), sheer determination to get my life back, the information and support I received from this site, and mostly, the help and strength I received from God. I pray daily for all on this site, and appreciate any prayers I receive. Thank you all for taking the time to support all those here who are trying to reclaim their lives.

Default Good to hear!

I'm so glad to hear that you are doing so good! I mean that's great you did it all on your own, I sure wish I could've had the inner strength like you did to kick the addiction without any rehab or other meds. Getting past the detox and staying clean now for a couple of weeks, you should be well on your way to recovery. It's still going to be hard for a while, it was for me, but it will only get better with time. People like you are an inspiration to all the addicts out there that they can get clean! And that's great your husband is staying clean as well. That must've been hard both of you being addicted to pain meds. So I guess he got clean first and then you followed in getting clean? I know how bad it was on my husband when I detoxed, I can't imagine if he was getting clean as well. And I had to detox a couple of times because of relapse. And I'm grateful for the drug Suboxone, but now I'm in the same boat in that I have to start weaning off of this wonderful drug (a little sarcasm b/c I've heard people talk about how hard it is getting off of the subs). Anyway, just wanted to say congrats and just stay positive...you're over the hardest part, so I know you'll stay clean! Take care.

Thanks for the encouragement. It's been about six weeks since I had a pain pill. I kept up with it daily for the first month, but then just wrote my first clean day (4/17) on the memo board to remember. I've been out of one of my blood pressure medicines for over a month, but was scared to go to the doctor since I knew I would be allowed to refill my hydrocodone. I finally went this past Tuesday. He asked me what I needed refills on, and believe me, it was extremely difficult to omit the hydrocodone, but I did. When I got home, my husband had a bit of a hard time when I told him I didn't get the hydrocodone refilled. We talked about it for awhile, knowing that all I had to do was call the doc and tell him I forgot to ask him for it, but we managed to fight down the urge. It was extremely difficult, which is one thing that convinced us how susceptible we still were to the addiction. We had to itemize all the problems we've incurred due to the pills, and face the fact that if we got them (under the guise of just taking a couple on the weekends) we'd be back in the same state that we've fought so hard to escape. Yes, we tried several times to kick the habit, but had always done it at the same time, and had always failed. This last time, my husband went first, while I weaned down (under his control after he'd been off them for about two weeks), and then I quit. Some days are worse than others, and the temptation is always there. We've had friends, some of whom we hadn't seen in months, stop by and offer us some of their pills. We've successfully turned them all down. I will pray that you will be able to get of the sub without going through such terrible w/ds. As I said before, everyone is different, and I guess we all have to find whatever way works for us. You should be proud of yourself for not giving up, and for all the accomplishments you've already achieved. Also, it sounds as if you have a great husband who loves you very much. I'm sure he's been suffering right along with you. Don't let him or yourself down! You WILL make it! I still check in on this forum on a regular basis, so if you need to talk, I'm here. I'm sure there will still be many times when I need to ask for support as I still have some really bad days. Another thing that happened to me during my 8-year addiction, is that I gained an enormous amount of weight. I used to way around 120 lbs., but I probably gained about 80 lbs. (maybe more...I won't get on the scales). I suppose a lot of that had to do with me becoming a couch potato while taking my pain pills. When I went to the doctor Tuesday, he told me I'd lost 11 pounds. That made me feel a little better, and I'm hoping it will give me the momentum and drive I need to continue getting back to my old self. Stay strong, and know that you have many people praying for you.

Hello, everyone. I just thought I'd stop by and let y'all know that I've been clean for well over two months now. It's getting better and better. I no longer dwell on how much I miss the pills. I still think about it, but not nearly as much. I've lost about 15 pounds since I stopped taking them, and am starting to feel more like myself again. My husband is doing great, also. I still check in here from time to time just to see how others are doing. I know it encouraged me to see that people do actually get through this ordeal, so I'm hoping this will provide the same encouragement for someone else.

ComingHome is offline Senior Member

Hello, everyone. I just thought I'd stop by and let y'all know that I've been clean for well over two months now. It's getting better and better. I no longer dwell on how much I miss the pills. I still think about it, but not nearly as much. I've lost about 15 pounds since I stopped taking them, and am starting to feel more like myself again. My husband is doing great, also. I still check in here from time to time just to see how others are doing. I know it encouraged me to see that people do actually get through this ordeal, so I'm hoping this will provide the same encouragement for someone else.
    First off, congrats on 2 months - that is huge! Tell us more about how you are getting through the cravings and mind tricks.
    There is ALWAYS hope

Clean from painkillers and all mind altering substances since 4/25/2013

Thanks for the congrats. Actually, my body doesn't seem to crave them anymore at all. It's mostly the mind thing...old routines, habits, that chilled out feeling, that still haunt me at times. God got me off these things, and I have no intention of letting Him down. Also, my husband and I have fought so hard to finally get this far, I refuse to let us go back down into the hell of addiction. One thing that helps keep me going is letting myself remember how much money we threw away on the pills. We're now struggling to avoid bankruptcy and keep our credit intact; all because of the pills. It makes us sick to think of how much better off we would be if we'd never started taking painkillers. I have no doubt in my mind that the worst is over, but there will still be times when we get weak. There are always temptations...friends and relatives who might innocently offer me a pain pill when I have a migraine, old "friends" who come around or call to try and get us back into the habit, my doctor or dentist who would easily prescribe hydrocodone for migraines or toothaches. But, one thing I can say for myself...I'm stubborn. Once I've made up my mind, there's no going back. So, to answer your question, I guess this would be the answer: God, my husband, the painful knowledge of what our lives were like when we were using and the difficult situation we find ourselves in now because of it, and my own will power (which is coming back stronger after being absent for so many years). I pray for all those on this site and everywhere who are trying to break away from their addiction. I hope you're doing okay and if there's anything else you want to know about our ordeal, please feel free to ask. I don't mind sharing details of the agony of withdrawals, etc., but don't want to bore anyone. It sounds like most people here already know what it's like. However, some of them don't know what it feels like to get through to the other side, so I just wanted to share this: even with all our financial problems, it feels great!

AddictionSux is offline New Member

Juju-
    I just finished reading this thread and would like to ask you a question. If you don't mind?
    First off I'll tell you I was taking Oxycontin (3-80's three times/day=720mg total/day) and Hydrocodone (10-10/325mg/day) for over 5 years. It was scripts from my Dr but at the end of May he said he wouldn't fill them anymore because Valium showed up in my random urinalysis. My husband has back issues and was on the same amount of Oxy's as I but not on the Hydrocodone. Since he gave me one of his valium the Dr told both of us he was done .
    Anyway, on May 26th I began my withdrawal process cold turkey without any medical help. My husband started 2 days before me. It has now been 5 1/2 weeks for me and I'm so happy to say I did IT! The absolute worst was days 1-4 because I couldn't eat anything. However, I lost 15 pounds in those days and am continuing to lose even more now because I'm active. We have 2 young daughter's and Thank God my brother & his wife watched them for that first week.
    Ok, now to my question...I know my emotions are still wacked to some extent but I'm really afraid my husband has gotten a script from his new Dr and is using again. I've approached him about this and he says it's not true but I've found blue shavings from scraping the time-release coating off to crush up and snort. This is how he's always done his meds. I haven't! I always took them as directed. Since I've read you and your husband did this together, as I thought my husband and I did...would you give me some advice? What would you do if you found out your hubby was still using behind your back? I'm really fearful that if I find pills I'll ruin my own sobreity!! I hated the withdrawals and told myself there is NO way I could ever make myself go thru it again. I'm lucky to have made it out alive this time. I seriously wanted to die!! Please help me and tell me what you would do!!
    Thanks!

You need to put YOUR recovery first. Partners have a lot harder time getting clean "together" than one person alone, because (from my experience) almost always one of them relapses. Take steps to protect yourself to not use NO MATTER WHAT. Be ready and have a plan for situations that you might fall into that will tempt you. For example, have a plan if you find a pill laying around to flush it or do whatever... If you don't have a plan, it will catch you off guard, and you will probably use. Obviously, you can't have a plan for every potential situation, but you can have "general" plans.

I recommend getting help from a support group, especially in the situation you are in. We can't control our partners actions, but we CAN control our own. So, focus on yourself. If your husband has relapsed, you will not be able to save him most likely, but you CAN save yourself. You have to be ready and prepared to accept any consequences of protecting yourself and putting your recovery first. Without your own recovery, you are of no use to anyone else anyway.

A support group can be of tremendous value in these type of situations. In my case, they helped me take the steps that guided me out of the abyss. I lost a relationship in the meantime, but I GAINED MYSELF.

Good luck - hope that helps.

Coming Home

Quote Originally Posted by AddictionSux View Post
    Juju-
    I just finished reading this thread and would like to ask you a question. If you don't mind?
    First off I'll tell you I was taking Oxycontin (3-80's three times/day=720mg total/day) and Hydrocodone (10-10/325mg/day) for over 5 years. It was scripts from my Dr but at the end of May he said he wouldn't fill them anymore because Valium showed up in my random urinalysis. My husband has back issues and was on the same amount of Oxy's as I but not on the Hydrocodone. Since he gave me one of his valium the Dr told both of us he was done .
    Anyway, on May 26th I began my withdrawal process cold turkey without any medical help. My husband started 2 days before me. It has now been 5 1/2 weeks for me and I'm so happy to say I did IT! The absolute worst was days 1-4 because I couldn't eat anything. However, I lost 15 pounds in those days and am continuing to lose even more now because I'm active. We have 2 young daughter's and Thank God my brother & his wife watched them for that first week.
    Ok, now to my question...I know my emotions are still wacked to some extent but I'm really afraid my husband has gotten a script from his new Dr and is using again. I've approached him about this and he says it's not true but I've found blue shavings from scraping the time-release coating off to crush up and snort. This is how he's always done his meds. I haven't! I always took them as directed. Since I've read you and your husband did this together, as I thought my husband and I did...would you give me some advice? What would you do if you found out your hubby was still using behind your back? I'm really fearful that if I find pills I'll ruin my own sobreity!! I hated the withdrawals and told myself there is NO way I could ever make myself go thru it again. I'm lucky to have made it out alive this time. I seriously wanted to die!! Please help me and tell me what you would do!!
    Thanks!
    There is ALWAYS hope

Hello ASUX,

I truly feel for what you're going through. I think the most important thing right now is to continue to focus on YOUR accomplishment. You've been through hell and you have every right to be proud of yourself for stopping cold turkey. I never took oxycontin, but I was definitely a slave to the hydrocodone. As far as your question, well, I'll be honest and say that I really don't know what I'd do if I found out my husband was using again. I can tell you this...I've seen/helped him through kicking a marijuana habit, followed by a few months of him using cocaine. This was right after we got married. I knew nothing about drug addiction then, so it was an extremely rough time. However, he's told me that stopping pot and coke were nothing compared to getting off these pills. I guess, in all honesty, he was the reason I got involved with the pain pills. I'm not blaming him, he certainly didn't force me, but I guess I thought that taking a prescribed medicine couldn't be that big of a deal. He had that mentality of needing some kind of high, and I guess I let that rub off on me. With what we've been through because of those pills, I know I'll never take another one. I don't think he would, but who knows? I continue to pray that we both stay clean and never do anything so stupid again. As ComingHome said, you can't control what someone else does, you can only control what you do. Whether or not your husband uses again, you have to concentrate on yourself. Make sure YOU don't mess up. Staying clean is certainly the right thing to do for you and for your husband. You'll be no good for/to him if you start taking pills again. You have to be the strong one. You can't make him not use, but you can do everything you can to help him. The longer you go without pills, the stronger you will get. The stronger you are, the more you can help him. How long do you stick around if he insists on using....I don't know. That's something you'll have to figure out on your own. I do know this...you don't need to jeapordize your sobriety/life. If you can't deal with him without getting sucked back into addiction, then get out, or make him get out. Life on drugs is not living, not for you, and not for your kids. It affects every aspect of your life and of the lives of those who love you and depend on you to be YOU! I know when my husband was on cocaine, I did everything I could to help...N.A. meetings, counseling, etc. Nothing worked. I told him he had to leave...I refused to live that way and especially refused to have my son around that type of behavior. I called his mother and told her I had done all I knew to do, and that he would have to decide what kind of life he wanted. He chose me over the cocaine. But, it was HIS choice. I couldn't make him quit. All I could control was whether or not to live my life with someone who used drugs. That's really what it boils down to...the addict has to decide to change his own life. Until he's had enough, and is really ready to quit, there's absolutely nothing you can do. I know that from my husband's experience, and from my own. We both got so sick of being controlled by pills, we finally, with God's help, were able to stop. We're broke, but we're clean. He's been off them for close to four months, and I'm over 2 1/2 months now. We're continuing to feel better and stronger each day. We tried several times stopping at the same time, but that never worked. He had the strength to go first, and then was able to deal with me when I started w/d. It wasn't easy, but we got through it. But as I said before, you have to really want it, no half-way attempts will work. I know you said you've lost weight. I think that's one of the things that has made me feel like I'm really getting back to normal and has also helped alleviate some of the depression. I'm so sick of being a fat recluse. I'm beginning to get out more and be more active. That's got to be a good thing! I don't know about you, but I was actually not just fat, but swollen. I haven't mentioned it before, because maybe I'm just an isolated, weird case, but my legs were so tight and swollen (fluid?) while I was taking the hydrocodone, my skin would feel like it would crack when I would bend down. I have no idea why, but as soon as I quit the pills, I started losing weight. I guess a lot of it was fluid, because my legs are normal again. I'm still a lot bigger than my normal size, but losing twenty pounds in less than three months is a pretty good start. My doctor has done blood work a couple of times, and everything came back okay (except my sugar is a little high). It was such a relief to know I didn't ruin my liver. He doesn't know anything about me being addicted to the hydrocodone, so he did more blood work last week since I was losing so much weight. He wants to make sure I don't have diabetes. I couldn't tell him the real reason I was losing weight, so I let him do the labs. At least, I hope there's nothing else wrong. I always get nervous waiting on the lab results. Anyway, I guess I'm rambling. I hope some of what I said helps you, but unfortunately, you're ultimately the one who will have to make some hard decisions if your husband has decided to use again. I'll keep you in my prayers, and if there are any other questions you have that I might be able to answer, just ask. And if you just need to talk, I'll be around.

This is to AddictionSux: I'm just trying to find out how you're doing. I've been thinking about you since you posted, and I truly feel for what you're going through. Please, when you get a chance, let me know how you're doing. I tried to find a way to send you a private message, but got a message that administrator had disabled private messaging. Maybe I just haven't figured out how to do it right. Anyway, just checking on you.

Default Just checking in

[deleted - swearing]
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-14-2010 at 12:35 AM.

Lawyer, huge red flags popping up all over the place with the new relationship you are in. Through experience, I've learned to not ignore the red flags. Red flags are a sign that you are probably only seeing the tip of the iceberg of what is going on with a person. Yes, I agree, you do need to focus on yourself and your recovery. Hanging out in a relationship like that is begging for trouble and relapse IMO. If we hang out in a barber shop, sooner or later we are going to get a haircut.

Otherwise, good job with your efforts. Just be careful....

Coming Home
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-14-2010 at 12:35 AM.
    There is ALWAYS hope

Default Getting sober

Oops...didn't know I put swearing in my reply post! Sorry about that. Thanks ComingHome for your post, you said what I have been thinking! I am on day 4 of being sober!! And I'm actually doing pretty good, even though I am having so many problems financially right now. The guy I'm with has actually quit using as well, we both started on the same day. He's not having as easy of a time as I am, but he's going. He is very cranky and very tired and just physically doesn't feel well. I told him to hang in there that the physical withdrawals would pass soon enough. But I told him he needs to get to a psychiatrist to help with the psychological part and he agreed. So I'm going to help him find a doctor and go with him to make sure that he doesn't get a bad doc or a doc that tries prescribing him meds that he doesn't need or are known to have lots of side effects. I've had great luck with the meds I'm on, so I suggested that he might bring that up to the doctor. I agree that hanging out with someone who uses will lead to relapse and that's what I told him. He has been wanting to get clean for some time, so I think the support from me and me getting clean showed him that it can be done. I told him though that he can't keep hanging around his friends that use though because that is going to lead to relapse...but he is an adult, all's I can do is give him advice from my experiences with addiction and relapses. We threw out all our pipes, etc. as well. And I've told him I will NOT be put in situations where people are using, so that I had to sever the ties with the friends I have made that are his friends...we'll see how that goes. But I'm focusing on my sobriety and staying away from triggers and coming up with solutions for when I get the urge to use because I'm having a bad day, etc. I think it's very important to have a plan/solution when problems arise. But anyhow I'm moving along one day at a time!

DoingItRight is offline New Member

I had been on 5i0mg for 6 years. Finally came to where at Christmas I paid for the pills when I had to sacrifice one gift for my son. And
    I said this is it you have to stop. I was tired of looking at checking account to see how much I can afford. Tired of the who has some to get from and what I am gonna do if I can't find any. The driving to get them hour each way. Tired of worrying when I for down to 20 I had to get on the mission to see can I find then not to worry of withdrawl. And now I was like this is it. I want my dependent person on greatness back, not dependent person on pills They had opposite effect
    For me then what some of you mentioned. I lost weight and had amazing energy. I am self withdrawing and am on day 14. Still shaky of I can regress but know that weeding down to 3 a day right now is a huge accomplishment. I did start with Suboxxone for 5 days and that was awesome. So then after a day of nothing I was down to 3 7.5 to take edge off and yet some went cold turkey. There was no way
    I could. My body aches, burned, I want to punch windows and just so anxious But now weaning half my dose in / weeks has been up lifting I feel like the whale on my back is rising a little at a time. I have gained 10lbs as opposed to losing, as I had set
    Times of days I would "pop" a pill and now I am popping in my mouth popcorn and piece of hard candy. Something to get my habit of a
    Pill out of my routine. I will be going down to 2 7.5s Monday. And hopefully by day 30. I will be off. I do highly recommend Suboxxone for the major jitters and caves. Instantly takes away. And I can have a 10mg last me 4 days. Bad thing is ears ring mom stop and my heart feel like BP is
    Higher them normal. So I don't take more then 4 days. I am ready to spend my money to show for sow thing then struggling to cut back on this or that to get the pills. Like I said very fragile still. And even reading these post make me anxious. But I am so set on doing this to get this secret and clutch out of my life. Celexa and lorezapem helped with anxiety greatly. When I get those middle of the
    Night urge when my body's clock is saying it's been more then 5 hours wake up and take me. No more at night due to that meds too. I wish all y'all good luck. And truly does suck it is something we all are
    Coping with. Truly forever. Wish me luck. Tomorrow day. 15. Half way there !!

DoingItRight is offline New Member

them normal. So I don't take more then 4 days. I am ready to spend my money to show for show thing then struggling to cut back on this or that to get the pills. Like I said very fragile still. And even reading these post make me anxious. But I am so set on doing this to get this secret and clutch out of my life. Celexa and lorezapem helped with anxiety greatly. When I get those middle of the
    Night urge when my body's clock is saying it's been more then 5 hours wake up and take me. No more at night due to the celexa and lorazepam They settle me. I wish all y'all good luck. And truly does suck it is something we all are
    Coping with. Truly forever. Wish me luck. Tomorrow day. 15. Half way there ! They settle me. I wish all y'all good luck. And truly does suck it is something we all are
    Coping with. Truly forever. Wish me luck. Tomorrow day. 15. Half way there !!

Iwant2help is offline Junior Member

Hey jujuh!
    My use had spiraled out of control to the point of eating 350-400 norco 10/325 a month depending on availability.I made my mind up I was quitting and did so over two months.At the end of the first week I joined a gym and started simple on a treadmill.Simple to the ordinary person but people like us walking ten feet during withdrawals is harder than a normal person running a marathon.I did this to push myself and my body thinking if I did it long enough natural endorphins would kick off and help with withdrawals.It was a big help.No matter how bad you don't want to do it you need to get up at least once a day and push your body.In my first week of hell I exercised very hard,in my mind,by walking to the mailbox and back.There was no way this pill was going to beat me.I quit with pills left over and kept those pills in plain sight for two weeks to prove I was in control.Exercise,exercise,exercise.Best of luck

justkeeptrying is offline New Member

Default Any advise?

Hi, I am looking for some insight. My husband has been off pain pills for 1 month after 2 1/2 addiction after a serious injury. His Dr. has prescribed him Seroquel and Suboxone to help with the depression and withdraws. I am freaking out a little because the symptoms sometimes mimic the pain pill symptoms. Lethargic, tired and nodding out. I know that he is clean. I just need to know if this is normal and how long will it last. How long before i get the real guy back? I have never been through anything like this, so I don't know what to expect.

ScottAaddict2 is offline New Member

I think your doing very well. Please don't start taking Sub. It's hardest to get off of. Keep up great work

ScottAaddict2 is offline New Member

Suboxin is worse than any pain pill. It's twice as hard to get off of, and your not clean if your taking them.