Xanax v.s. Ativan
    Chaschata is offline New Member

Default Xanax v.s. Ativan

I have COPD and my doctor put me on Xanax 1mg - 3 times a day or as needed about 1-1/2 years ago because I was waking up in the middle of the night gasping for air even though I am on oxygen. Then about 9 months later, I was hospitalized and the hospital doctor changed me over to Ativan
    2mg - 3 times a day or as needed. I stayed on the Ativan for about 3 months and requested to go back on the Xanax. The effects I felt between the two medications is opposite of what I have been reading on this forum. The Xanax seems to last longer than the Ativan. I take a Xanax before going to bed and do not wake up gasping for air. Where as with the Ativan I would wake up gasping for air take an Ativan and go back to sleep in 10 or 15 minutes. It seemed to me the Ativan hit faster and did not last as long. While on Xanax I only take 1 pill at night never the 3 a day as prescribed, with the Ativan I would take 1 pill before going to bed and then another if I woke up gasping for air --- it did not happen every night. I have never been diagnosed with panic attacks or an anxiety but the my doctor said people with COPD sometimes become air starved, not literally but air starved none the less, i.e. in their mind they are not getting enough air. Have I misunderstood what I have been reading or maybe I just have it in my head that Xanax works longer than the Ativan and therefore it does.

Cats Meow is offline Platinum Member

Have a look at this site, it should explain it. Mostly it has to do with the drugs half life, and dosage equivalencies.
    http://www.benzo.org.uk/bzequiv.htm

Audriana is offline New Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Chaschata View Post
    I have COPD and my doctor put me on Xanax 1mg - 3 times a day or as needed about 1-1/2 years ago because I was waking up in the middle of the night gasping for air even though I am on oxygen. Then about 9 months later, I was hospitalized and the hospital doctor changed me over to Ativan
    2mg - 3 times a day or as needed. I stayed on the Ativan for about 3 months and requested to go back on the Xanax. The effects I felt between the two medications is opposite of what I have been reading on this forum. The Xanax seems to last longer than the Ativan. I take a Xanax before going to bed and do not wake up gasping for air. Where as with the Ativan I would wake up gasping for air take an Ativan and go back to sleep in 10 or 15 minutes. It seemed to me the Ativan hit faster and did not last as long. While on Xanax I only take 1 pill at night never the 3 a day as prescribed, with the Ativan I would take 1 pill before going to bed and then another if I woke up gasping for air --- it did not happen every night. I have never been diagnosed with panic attacks or an anxiety but the my doctor said people with COPD sometimes become air starved, not literally but air starved none the less, i.e. in their mind they are not getting enough air. Have I misunderstood what I have been reading or maybe I just have it in my head that Xanax works longer than the Ativan and therefore it does.
    Well I used to take Xanies and I liked them, they really worked for my anxiety but they are horrible to come off of.
    The doctor i'm currently seeing now refuses to prescribe xanax which is ok, but last time i saw him he switched me to ativan from klonopin (which i am not liking). So PERSONALLY, I feel that xanax does last longer than ativan and is faster acting as well.