Adderall questions
    greenday is offline Member

Default Adderall questions

OK so it's been 6 days on 30mg of adderall. Day 1, 2 and 3 were super charged. Had trouble sleeping and felt jittery. Day 4 was a little better. Day 5 it was like the bottom dropped out. I hardly felt anything at all. Today (day 6) has been the same. Don't get me wrong, I am almost relieved to not be wired, but I don't feel like I am getting much benefit from it either. The worst thing is I feel the adderall is triggering my RLS at night and if that is the case I am in big trouble. Another thing, first few days I had no appetite. Last couple of days I am eating like normal.

Any words of wisdom here? Is this not the medication for me? I don't want to take something so strong if it's not going to work (for focusing). What do you guys think?

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Default Hi greenday

Quote Originally Posted by greenday View Post
    OK so it's been 6 days on 30mg of adderall. Day 1, 2 and 3 were super charged. Had trouble sleeping and felt jittery. Day 4 was a little better. Day 5 it was like the bottom dropped out. I hardly felt anything at all. Today (day 6) has been the same. Don't get me wrong, I am almost relieved to not be wired, but I don't feel like I am getting much benefit from it either. The worst thing is I feel the adderall is triggering my RLS at night and if that is the case I am in big trouble. Another thing, first few days I had no appetite. Last couple of days I am eating like normal.

Any words of wisdom here? Is this not the medication for me? I don't want to take something so strong if it's not going to work (for focusing). What do you guys think?

The bottom fell out because you were wired for days and then it wore off. You were tired! Adderall helps some people and I hate to say it isn't helping you. But I think amphetamines are bad news for the most part, but that's just me. Our hearts only beat so many times in one lifetime. I have used them, tons of them many years ago, but man ... I'm glad I don't have to grind my teeth anymore. It's not a good sign if it's triggering your RLS. Maybe the dose is too high??? Loss of appetite is common to any amphetamine. There are less radical medications one can take for attention deficit. I would ask about other medications besides adderall if it were me and I was reacting the way you are.

not me is offline New Member

Default adderal

i have been on it. didn't like much eather. there is a new add-adhd med it is called vyvanse i like much better. ask your dr about it

greenday is offline Member

That post was when I first got on the adderall. It's all good now. Just took a good 4-5 days to get adjusted. Thanks for the repy. I might ask about the med you recommended. It's always good to hear from people who have had success.

Adderall XR did the same thing to me. I finally got tired of all the side effects and not being able to sleep and quit the drug. I am now on Vyvanse 70 mg, 1x daily and I have noticed the differences! Vyvanse does exactly what it's supposed to and lasts alot longer than the Adderall did. Just w/o out the weird side effects.

brainiacthemaniac is offline New Member

It takes about 30 to 60 days to adjust to the medication. There are a great deal of side effects with this medication, and it is due to the levo enantiomer of amphetamine that is part of the four different salts this drug is comprised of. Vyvanse® is more closely relative to the dextro enantiomer thus having less of the para sympathetic stimulating effects that so many complain about. I have never tried straight dextroamphetamine, but I have tried methylphenidate and found it to be useless. Just a quick question, why are you taking this substance? Have you been properly diagnosed and evaluated, or did you just take some? This is not a drug to just play around with, it has very serious side effects and consequences attached with it, hence its regulation as a Schedule Two drug. If it is truly something you feel will help you in your life, then give it a shot, but it sounds like your dose is way too high. You are not supposed to feel "wired" if that is the case try lowering the dosage and see what happens.

Lurker is offline New Member

I just started Strattera, the drug isn't scheduled and so far after 3 days of use I have much more focus than before. I am in my 30's and after a psychiatrist visit she made the Dx after testing me, so these drugs are new to me. I have to say it also keeps me awake longer. Good luck.

ADDGuy12345 is offline New Member

Default hehe

but man ... I'm glad I don't have to grind my teeth anymore.

That is what i'm saying haha
    I'm still on it, and thats the only thing i hate................. finnaly get to sleep wake up with bites on my tounge.Also my jaw hurts like CRAZY!!!!!........... But i love the effect it has on me when it comes to school work or any kind of focusing activity(Go into the zone )

empty1965 is offline New Member

Default Adderall

I have several other drugs and I am here to tell you that Adderall has changed my life. It is a totall new world out there and I am now able to not only face it but deal with all of the situations that I run into; instead of running from.

my son has been on every ADHD med out there except that new patch. they all seem to wear off in 90-120 days the psych.says this is common w/ADHD exsiting along with a mood disorder.(diagnosed mood disorder aug 08 4th grade)before that we seemed to just be spinning our whells, h**l we may still be. I fought any meds till 1st grade the school said he wouldnt make it w/o them. they did an Autism test on him in 2nd grade, he had just about 0 social skills and only had 1 friend who is also"weird" the test showed he was well within the range for high functioning Autism. but he has compassion for others which doesnt fit with Autism. he repeated the 2nd grade due to not being socially ready to move on. after 4years of meds, his med list is 2+ pages now,he was dignosed w/severe anxiety a problem(caused ulcer) that has gotten worse over the years,most likely due to stimulants. over this past summer I took him off all stimutants to help the anxiety and to help his appitiete, he was very thin and never wanted to eat. he packed on 35lbs from june until sept. school started and they wanted his meds back and I dont really blame them. over the summer he could run wild nothing really to focus on. He is REALLY hyper w/o them. he went to his psych. and he put him on double the amount of adderall 30mg,which seems crazy oh you have anxiety due to this med lets double it!, 500mg depekote, and 5mg of abilify. he is oldschool and pretty much says its his way or the highway we dont have many options on state aid. so I break the 30mg adderall in half giving him 15mg a day, I stopped the depekote after 2wks he seemed comatosed, left the abilify alone but it scares me to death because it is so new and they are trying it on my 10yr old. I want depreatly to help my boy, my love but everything so far has just lead to another treament with more side effects. also I am scared to death because i have heard from many medical sites that early use of stimulants greatly increases the chances of being a drug addict as an adult which with his family history it seems enevitable!! ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS WELCOME thanks

janmarbol is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by learning_to_be_free View Post
    my son has been on every ADHD med out there except that new patch. they all seem to wear off in 90-120 days the psych.says this is common w/ADHD exsiting along with a mood disorder.(diagnosed mood disorder aug 08 4th grade)before that we seemed to just be spinning our whells, h**l we may still be. I fought any meds till 1st grade the school said he wouldnt make it w/o them. they did an Autism test on him in 2nd grade, he had just about 0 social skills and only had 1 friend who is also"weird" the test showed he was well within the range for high functioning Autism. but he has compassion for others which doesnt fit with Autism. he repeated the 2nd grade due to not being socially ready to move on. after 4years of meds, his med list is 2+ pages now,he was dignosed w/severe anxiety a problem(caused ulcer) that has gotten worse over the years,most likely due to stimulants. over this past summer I took him off all stimutants to help the anxiety and to help his appitiete, he was very thin and never wanted to eat. he packed on 35lbs from june until sept. school started and they wanted his meds back and I dont really blame them. over the summer he could run wild nothing really to focus on. He is REALLY hyper w/o them. he went to his psych. and he put him on double the amount of adderall 30mg,which seems crazy oh you have anxiety due to this med lets double it!, 500mg depekote, and 5mg of abilify. he is oldschool and pretty much says its his way or the highway we dont have many options on state aid. so I break the 30mg adderall in half giving him 15mg a day, I stopped the depekote after 2wks he seemed comatosed, left the abilify alone but it scares me to death because it is so new and they are trying it on my 10yr old. I want depreatly to help my boy, my love but everything so far has just lead to another treament with more side effects. also I am scared to death because i have heard from many medical sites that early use of stimulants greatly increases the chances of being a drug addict as an adult which with his family history it seems enevitable!! ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS WELCOME thanks

Well, this is an old posting you did in 2008, I sure hope your son is doing much better!!

By my own personal experience i can say that taking loads of drugs (and docs love to prescribe many at a time) is never good! I don't know why they do this. It baffles me.

I am now only taking Adderall XR 20 mg and it seems to work fine for me. Have they tried the XR formula on your son?

I took depakote when I had depression and I hated it. I hate ALL antidepressants, and I tried a lot of them because none of them were working (in fact because my thryoid was off, they would never work but I didn't know this at the time).

All antidepressants do is make you into a zombie with no feelings (I never cried a tear while on them, that's true) and have terrible side effects from seizures to nightmares to sweating to sleeping all day, etc... I never heard a "happy" story about them. I still ask myself why they continue to prescribe them.

Good thing my doctor eventually listened to me when I told him (for the 10th time) about my ADHD since I was little. Of course, by then my severe depression was gone (mine was due to a combination of a PTSD and thyroid)

I stopped taking all kinds of meds for almost two years and put up with 'sad' days until I got my thyroid meds and that took my lingering depression away for good. Now, with just the thyroid meds and XR (Adderall) I am doing very well.

Good luck! Would be nice to hear from you and see how your son is doing now. Again, I hope he's much better.

Take care

kc10 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by brainiacthemaniac View Post
    It takes about 30 to 60 days to adjust to the medication. There are a great deal of side effects with this medication, and it is due to the levo enantiomer of amphetamine that is part of the four different salts this drug is comprised of. Vyvanse® is more closely relative to the dextro enantiomer thus having less of the para sympathetic stimulating effects that so many complain about. I have never tried straight dextroamphetamine, but I have tried methylphenidate and found it to be useless. Just a quick question, why are you taking this substance? Have you been properly diagnosed and evaluated, or did you just take some? This is not a drug to just play around with, it has very serious side effects and consequences attached with it, hence its regulation as a Schedule Two drug. If it is truly something you feel will help you in your life, then give it a shot, but it sounds like your dose is way too high. You are not supposed to feel "wired" if that is the case try lowering the dosage and see what happens.

Wow, ok, someone's taking organic chemistry. For the rest of the world, enantiomer refers to two different versions of the compound that are very similar, almost the same in fact, but one gives the benefits of the drug, and the other can't be processed by the body, causing side effects.

Unfortunately, the compounds are so similar that they either can't be separated or its too expensive. Vyvanse is closely related to the 'good' compound, not quite the same but easier to get in its pure form, so fewer side effects. Shows how amazingly sophisticated our bodies are, and how far science still needs to go!