Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Adderall Side effects
    Anonymous Guest

Default gday!

greenday - aint that the truth. just got my prescription refilled today, was out for about 4 days, and wow, I saw a difference. Just wasnt feeling it, and dragging. But now we're back on and life is good....
    As for our new member - (sorry, forgot your handle) - I wouldnt be too worried. i only just started on the same adderall less than a month ago, and its definitely going to take some time for you, in regards for getting used to it. But dont worry, there are all sorts of side effects, thus this forum. Its alot, from depression, cold shivers, jittery feelings in the legs and arms, etc. Also, youll find the ramp up into your system is really obvious at first, and then later it, as someone else said in here earlier, "just works".

but a word of warning - stay as far away as possible from caffenine for the first two weeks or so while on it. its murder trying to catch your breath. And if any of the symptoms dont generally disappear after two weeks, than call the doc.

As far as the depression, my doc actually said that people with ADHD are prone to depression, and this stuff is really meant to help.
    I find it just balances my moods better, which makes me more social and relaxed in general.

What are you other guys in here thinking? Am I entirely off the mark, or are you guys experiencing similar things?

greenday is offline Member

hey guys, sorry but been gone last week or so and haven't been able to get to the computer...
    update on me: still doing great on the adderall. I was upped last visit from 3 10mg a day to 4 10 mg a day. Well, I RARELY take 4 which is a good sign as I always worry about getting addicted to anything. Plus last week I took a three day vacation from it. I felt no withdrawal or anything even close. I think my plan is to take a "vacation" every 3-4 weeks for a few days just to keep it all in check.
    The side effects that were troubling at first have now completely gone away. My appetite is normal, despite having lost it for a few weeks. No sleep problems. It helps SO much with my focusing and accomplishing tasks during the day. I am so happy to have this medication.

I hope everyone will check in. I am always wondering how my friends on the forum are doing.

KyndDave is offline New Member

Smile multiple doses?

Hey swimmer and greenday, thanks for the tips. The side effects have settled down a bit but it's been an adjustment going of the antidpressant and onto the adderall. It helps a lot though.

I'm curious on taking multiple lower doses throughout the day as greenday mentioned. My doc has me taking 20mg of adderall and has suggested a small amphetamine salt at about 3 pm to help with the "crash". Has anyone else done this?

What's everybody's experience with the "crash" in the late afternoon? I'm hesitant to up the the XR dose as the effect is pretty strong first thing...

I didn't want the XR because it is harder to control (at least for my lifestyle). I have never been a fan of extended release. For some reason, I have never noticed the "crash" everyone talks about. For example, if I know I am going to be working late at night, I will skip my afternoon dose while I rest, and then take my last pill around 5PM.

Anonymous Guest

Default hey forum people! Please help! Any advice, very appreciated!

Hullo my fellow Adhd'ers...
    Another day, another post. Well, not really, since I havent posted in at least a week or two. Hope everything is going well in everyone's world.
    Ive been working on avoiding a tolerance to Adderall... and I spose this is where I need to fall back on everyone else's experience, since Im still a bit of a newbie.

So I started on 40mg a day, about two months ago. This lasted for about a week. By the end of that, I was up to about 60-80mg/daily. Now Im at 120mg/daily.

Im not feeling the effects as strongly as I did when I first started, about two months ago. But when I dont take at least 60/daily, I get grouchy, totally losing my immunity to sickness, and plus I get insanely stressed, and I break out. Although the breakouts were more from stress and lack of sleep than Adderall, I think.

So about a week ago, I started weaning off, from the full 120mg/daily to about 20-40mg/daily. I did this for about a week, and it seems to be helping. But does anyone have any advice for other ways of avoiding tolerance? I looked for Magnesium Taurate (I heard it helped keep tolerance low) today at GNC, but couldnt find any. Have you guys tried this stuff? Does the Magnesium Asparate help as much or not?

I also started taking 5-htp today. No idea of the effect so far, will keep y'all posted on that.

Ok! Long post, but anything you guys could throw my way would def be appreciated. Websites help, but actual personal experience is more valuable to me.
    Thanks!

Swimmerfishie

hey guys!
    swimmerfish, sorry to hear you are battling a tolerance issue. I have no desire to take more than prescribed. I can't explain it. Still on 10mg 4 times a day. I don't see what people get out of adderall. It doesn't make me feel "good" or "high" (wish it did-LOL). Maybe I haven't been on it long enough to be tempted with that problem. I guess I have been on it around 3 months or so. I wonder sometimes if this is a life long drug for me. I wonder if there are a lot of bad long term health problems associated with it.
    I wonder if your tolerance issue could be related to the summer heat. I have noticed if I take it and go outside and exercise in the heat, it's almost like you sweat it out. (sorry, didn't mean to be gross-LOL). I am outside all the time so I notice that happening to me. Just a thought. Keep posting and let me know how you are doing!!!!

swimmerfish,
    how ya doing?

Anonymous Guest

Default yo

not bad. hows you, my hyper comrade in arms?

Hanging in there, swimmerfish...it's been so hot here. Working long hours in the heat, but I love it! I was turned loose for 3 months by my psych dr. Don't go back till Oct. I guess that's a good sign. How is the adderall doing for you?

Anonymous Guest

Default morning forum people

hey guys,
    so two months into my absolute love affair with adderall, im throwing my hat over the wall cuz I need to take a holiday from it/drastic weaning off period. Its terrible for the skin, sleeping patterns and dependency.

Im on 120/mg daily. Im going to taper off over the next two weeks by taking as few as possible (ya, this doesnt sound at all nuts eh) with the goal of needing only 60mg daily. Then reasses from there.

Seriously, advice? I mean anything, I hate not taking my doses so I know these two weeks will suck, so lemme know any tricks you guys have come across with.

aloha!

swimmer

inhalexhale is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daigaisai_Taren View Post
    I get symptoms like that if I take adderall for to many days in a row, without sleeping enough (which I don't have time to do, drugs or no drugs). I'm only on 7.5 mgs though, and it's not my scrip. I'd honestly recommend that you try different meds, even I can take that much without problems (5'2", female, 102lbs), even when I haven't taken it in a while. There are so many other meds out there these days, unless you've tried everything else, one of them might be a better fir for you. There's a recent new one that I don't remember the name of, it's another amphetamine, but it still might be better.
    You're probably thinking about Vyvanse. It's Lisdexamfetamine; Supposed to be a pro- drug stimulant ...Which is supposed to mean that it isn't addictive, which isn't true. You just can't snort Vyvanse because it's metabolized in the GI Tract. It sin't water soluble and they only sell it in XR capsules.
    I used to like it a lot, but being on stimulants for a year screwed with my head too much. I don't have ADHD, but it was prescribed to me because I was lazy and didn't like homework.
    I liked Vyvanse better than Adderall. It's really just Dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine). Diet drug from the 70's!

emb4lmer is offline New Member

Default Need Some Info

Okay this is a long story and I'm sorry if it's a read for you guys but I need some personal opinions from various sources that know more than the neurologist I am seeing.

Five years ago I was diagnosed with ADD. I was taking Adderall 30mg xr 2/times daily. I was on it for a couple years with no side effects to my knowledge. I went off of it cold turkey after 2 years and was fine without it to my knowledge as well. A year and a half ago I started smoking pot heavily. I gave it up about 6 months ago and have felt like my concentration has severely decreased. I recently have gone back to a neurologist who said that my concentration is okay but my memory is at 86% which is low for my age. I'm 22. He prescribed me Adderall XR 30mg once daily to possibly help with my concentration and memory. I've been on it for about a week and within the first 2 hours of me taking it, once it starts kicking in, my eyes get very heavy and I feel very tired (but still can't fall asleep). I also get irritable and agitated very very easily(for the first 2 hours). During the middle of the day I start to get more mellow and level headed (the results I would like to have all the time). Then once it starts wearing off I feel tired again with the heavy eyes and the emotionless state, but not as aggitated or irritable. I wanted to know if this could be of me being overdosed. I tried talking to my doctor to lower the dosage to possibly 15mg xr once daily, but he told me to give it time for the adderall to get into my system(it's been over a week and a half now). The side effects I'm experiencing are really over whelming to me and I do not like them what so ever. If you guys need any information regarding me to get a better view on things please ask and I will be happy to do so.

I appreciate whoever dedicated their time to read this. I am a man in need of some assistance.

inhalexhale is offline New Member

Adderall is good for memory?! What??? I don't remember my entire Senior year due to a very similar med (Vyvanse; Another amphetamine used to treat ADHD/ADD). Seriously.. Senior year's like one weird blurr.

Symptoms of overdose (for me) were frantic freaking out (crazed anxiety) and a nasty headache.

I have absolutely no authority to tell you this, but if it were me...I would break those doses in half and try it. It sounds like 60mg is a lot to start with. I started with 30mg (10mg three times a day) and it was PLENTY. In fact the first week or so I only took half pills (15mg total) because I was having a hard time adjusting. Once the first week was over it was going better for me and I slowly went back up to the 30mg a day. I am in no way involved in the medical field so take it for what it's worth. I have been very pleased with adderall. It's helped me a lot. There are times it seems to make me tired, but I don't know if it's the adderall or just me being tired. It's not often and I dont' think much of it as I work pretty long hours. As far as the memory goes...that first week I notice my brain being a little "fuzzy". After the first couple of weeks that went away. I hope this helps. Seriously, if I had taken the full 30mg that first week I would NOT have stayed on it. Good luck!

swimmer...how's it going?...a little worried about you and this tolerance thing! Hang in there. Need you around! You're my ADD/Adderall buddy!!! lol

Anonymous Guest

Default yo

Hey Greenday

I saw someone in another thread say something along the lines of how the only way they were able to manage their detox was because of the great comments and people on this site. And man its true, especially with all the support Ive gotten from you
    The thing is, the dosage, sadly enough, is perfect for what my screwed up wired head. But I hate how my skin has gone from damn near perfect to an absolute mess, its ultra sensitive now. And I know its because I upped the dosage - well, the doc upped the dosage. So ya, my goal is to keep the dose prescribed from my doc the same, but to kick it down a notch in reality.
    Yesterday I slept a ton, so going cold turkey wasnt that bad. Today I only took a third of the daily amount and I wanted to kill everyone. Lol.

Sigh. I hope this gets easier. I really am doing well on this stuff. I have no idea how I was productive before.
    And hey - on this stuff, I finally dropped down to the weight I always wanted to be. So its done amazing things for my self esteem, which is really cool.

Greenday - do you have AIM?

Swimmer in the ocean

hey there swimmer! As far as the skin stuff goes, I haven't noticed any problems except can I say that chap stick is my new best friend? lol I know you are trying hard to get your dose down and that must be really tough. The human body is so full of flaws especially the way it has NO control over itself. Free will is a bummer, right? Animals have it lucky, they just get what we feed them.

I have an AIM-instant messaging, right?. I am so computer dumb I have no idea how to send it to you. Do I just post my email? Just tell me and I will do it. I know everyone in the world knows this stuff but me!

Anonymous Guest

Default stupid free will. free my butt...

Awesome - Ive had AIM since I was in 8th grade, and Ive totally stopped using it, so its good that ill finally be getting some use outta it. My sn is ozspeeddemo395, so drop a line wheneverz!
    and since ive been taking less these past 3 days and sleeping ALOT more, ive noticed the sensitive skin thing has gotten alot better, thank god. i didnt realize til the other day how i must have been super sleep deprived these past few weeks, since ive been on this stuff so consistently. lol, i kinda forgot this was speed im being prescribed.

It seems you are online at night so expect an AIM! Glad the lower dose is working for you. Yep, I bet your body was exhausted from so much addy.

charmedguy18 is offline New Member

As soon as I started taking stimulant-type ADHD meds, I felt real bad. Like an addict. I just wanted some more.

I'm on 60mgXR a day, 120lbs, and it works amazingly. I love it. And it's also the only medicine that's worked for my depression (severe), because of something about a dopamine deficiency.

Vyvanse, on the other hand, when I was prescribed, can't be prescribed (as according to my ex-psych) more than 70mg a day.

To be honest, I've read about how much DAmph comes out of that, and yes, it's def the reason I feel that way on Vyvanse. I HATE that stuff.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-16-2010 at 01:08 AM.

savannah_ is offline New Member

Talking dkfigbwlegbl

Hello ! I am on 20 mg Adderall XR, and have been for abouttttt 3-4 months? haha, well anyway, I've noticed that after I take it , I feel light-headed when i stand up . I never got ticks or anything, Just the light-headedness. I've gotten high heart beats, followed by low ; Depending on what i've eaten that day. Before i took it, I had an EXTREME compulsion of eating. Don't get me wrong, I'm not fat, Just a little fluffy around the edges(: It's also helping me decide what to eat, (i.e fruits&veggies) . And i haven't had much of an appetite either . I did notice that after i started taking it, I was doing WAY better in school than i was , i could focus better and I was actually doing my work instead of making fun of the teacher ! haha. I was making A's + B's , but at the end of the 6 weeks (i got it 1 week before school ended) I made all A's & 1 92. (:but yeah, haha.

minniephillips26 is offline New Member

Hi this Minni.
    I was used this product, and i have a very big side effect from this. So i sugesst to all the member of this fourm that don't use this product.

Thankyou

Violence is offline Junior Member

I have been on Adderall for about 2 months, both XR (30 mg) & IR (10-30 mg) daily, and to keep this short, I am experiencing the chest muscle aches and rapid heartbeats. It used to work much better when I first took it, but now that I take it everyday it isn't as effective with regards to mood.

I am going to try out Vyvanse the next time I see my pdoc, as from what I understand pure D-amphetamine has less peripheral side effects than Adderall does (mix of d-amp & levo-amp).

I think the levoamphetamine is doing me in with the somatic side effects. I have a good feeling that Vyvanse will be better for me.

rxqueen is offline Junior Member

Adderall is amphetamine, of course its going to raise your heart rate, cause increases and drops in blood pressure, make you twitch, jumpy, easily agitated and even sometimes hostile. It can cause anxiety, tremors and rapid heart beat. Just because it comes from a pharmacy or cause they give it to kids does NOT mean its safe or without harmful side effects. Its side effects (decreased appetite, decreased sleep) also add to spikes and crashes in blood sugar and pressure; as these are directly effected by our diet and sleep patterns. If your snorting Adderall, it will cause chest pains and breathing problems. Your insufflating a powdered drug into your nasal cavity and directly depositing a much larger concentration of the drug into your blood >>>>>> then what should be medically therapeutic. It gets into your nasal cavity, respiratory system and further mixes with mucous and saliva to drip down and rot your teeth.

75 mgs of Adderall daily is about five times the dose I ingested with a raging addiction to it, buying it from others. If I took 75 mgs my heart would probably blow a gasket. Your lucky your not seeing stars. Be careful.

ethanboyle71 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    Its been a few days since I got the new dosage, 20mgs 2x, and I havent been completely faithful to it, since its pretty strong, and it makes running pretty tough. But I've noticed when I read, its a much more focused reading and I take way more notes and am much more into whatever the subject is. But I dont read as fast as I used to. Ive also noticed Im much better at socializing, I can sit and talk for hours. But the huge thing is not noticing time going by. Anyone else notice this time thing? When im on it, i couldnt care less that Ive been sitting and reading for 10 hours at a time. wacky.

im also on 2x 20mg....pretty much same as ur symptons....all u have to do is dont abuse it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12