Results 1 to 15 of 15
adderall situation please help!
  1. #1
    itsjustme123 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1

    Default adderall situation please help!

    I am 19yrs old and since I was a freshman in high school I have been under the "care" of my psychiatrist who has been refilling my adderall. I still need to take the adderall for classes and studying but I can't have a prescription written unless i have at least a 30-min session every month with my psychiatrist (350 dollars for each 30min session). I am really tired of these pointless visits but my mother (who has been treated by the SAME doctor for the past few years) feels more comfortable when I go see her. Soooo... I was wondering, since I have the diagnosis paperwork for my ADHD test, can I get a prescription from my general practitioner using the paperwork? Its important that I keep going to see my psychiatrist so that my mother won't have an emotional breakdown but i was hoping to decrease the visits.
    ALSO.... if I have one prescription for adderall from my psychiatrist and my general practitioner gives me another prescription how do i go about getting them filled or how much would it be to fill the new one without using insurance?

  2. #2
    JustSomeGuy is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16

    Default

    First of all, I have never heard of anyone paying $350 for a half hour appointment. But I guess it could happen. However, I feel that you are getting ripped of big time. I am on a very high dose of Adderall (240mg/day) and I see my doctor once every four months and pay $90 for 15 minutes. I know that most psychiatrists charge about the same as that, some more, some less. You should look for another doctor.
    And for the two doctor deal, this is definitely considered drug seeking behavior, or doctor shopping. I'm not sure how it all works, but many states have started prescription tracking programs that keep track of such things, and notify the doctors if anything unusual is found, like two different doctors prescribing the same controlled drug - that sort of thing. I would be careful about that.
    Price of Adderall - The cost greatly varies depending on a few factors: What pharmacy you go to, the brand of the drug (name brand >> generic, a few different generic versions are available and also vary in cost - name brand is MUCH costlier than any generic version, but I feel it works much better also, at least for me it does).
    Personally, I do not think that doctor shopping is a wise thing to do. Especially for a schedule ll drug such as Adderall, and others in the same class. I see it as kind of like playing with fire - not a good thing to do.

  3. #3
    carnalisious is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4

    Default

    if you are being honest, then you need to have a conversation with you parent(s) about your issues with your doc, and find a new one. I have never heard of a doc charging that much, 80-100 is average for a half, 150-200 for a whole hour sessiion (generally deduct 5-10minutes for your Doc to right his notes. Also, almost every shrink and consuler will work with you to make payments, and if you are not able to $rates, work on a sliding scale. If your having monthly appointments, then your Doc wants to see you for more than drug maintance (depression, drug abuse?) If your looking to get extra meds, you are not being honest, either using it or selling it. Enjoy jail time if thats the case.

  4. #4
    Strike 502nd is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
    First of all, I have never heard of anyone paying $350 for a half hour appointment. But I guess it could happen. However, I feel that you are getting ripped of big time. I am on a very high dose of Adderall (240mg/day) and I see my doctor once every four months and pay $90 for 15 minutes. I know that most psychiatrists charge about the same as that, some more, some less. You should look for another doctor.
    And for the two doctor deal, this is definitely considered drug seeking behavior, or doctor shopping. I'm not sure how it all works, but many states have started prescription tracking programs that keep track of such things, and notify the doctors if anything unusual is found, like two different doctors prescribing the same controlled drug - that sort of thing. I would be careful about that.
    Price of Adderall - The cost greatly varies depending on a few factors: What pharmacy you go to, the brand of the drug (name brand >> generic, a few different generic versions are available and also vary in cost - name brand is MUCH costlier than any generic version, but I feel it works much better also, at least for me it does).
    Personally, I do not think that doctor shopping is a wise thing to do. Especially for a schedule ll drug such as Adderall, and others in the same class. I see it as kind of like playing with fire - not a good thing to do.

    How is it someone is prescribed 240mgs of Adderall? Wait till you are forty and your heart just stops. Not smart and unless you are suffering from narcolepsy I see no reason for that amount.

  5. #5
    JustSomeGuy is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Strike 502nd View Post
    How is it someone is prescribed 240mgs of Adderall? Wait till you are forty and your heart just stops. Not smart and unless you are suffering from narcolepsy I see no reason for that amount.
    Well, I'm 46 now, and have been on that dose for over 5 years. I get regular checkups, get yearly physical exams, and check my blood pressure every day (which is consistently at an optimum level). And everything is just fine, thank you. Along with the medical supervision, and the checkups, etc., I always get plenty of exercise, and I eat healthy, well balanced meals - basically I live a healthy lifestyle.
    I appreciate the "concern", but you are not my prescribing physician. The physician I have seen this whole time is a renowned ADD/ADHD board certified specialist who has written books on the subject, is an Ivy League professor, and is also well respected by his peers within the medical community. He has been an M.D, for over 40 years, and I trust him 110% when it comes to giving me the best possible medical care and treatment.
    Unless you have similar qualifications, I would appreciate it if you didn't post negative comments. You do not know a single thing about my situation, my history, or anything else besides the fact that I take 240mg/day, and the little bit about me I just told you in this post, Otherwise, you have no clue. True, you are entitled to your opinion, but I take it personally. But thanks again for your 'concern'.

  6. #6
    SiestaKeys is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    23

    Default

    JustSomeguy, dont you just love it when others feel the need to inject their "concern" which is just a cover for criticism, especially when they know nothing about your situation. When I tell people I am on Adderall AND hydrocodone, people immediately think I'm an addict.
    To the original questions: Dr shopping will get you arrested; find a new Dr and your insurance might fill a 3month supply under a single co-pay. I have Blue Cross' Carefirst and they do.

  7. #7
    SiestaKeys is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    23

    Default

    I forgot to add that I agree with JustSomeGuy about the quality & effectiveness of brand name Adderall >> generic. It is like night and day between the two. Furthermore, the XR (extended release) is only available in brand name whereas the instant release(IR) is available in both. The generic IR is much more "speedy" even though the XR can make a person tired if too much is taken(at least for us with ADD). Also, the generic gave me tightening of the chest and horrid palpatations and tachycardia when combined with caffeine. However, I can drink large amounts of certain energy drinks(my fav is BooKoo) with the XR and have mild side effects.

  8. #8
    theguest688 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    9

    Default

    You need to work it out with your parents and psychiatrist and insurance company to answer all your questions about maintaining your supply of Adderall. While many family practice doctors will not like prescribing psychiatric medication (this is not their field after all), they can legally prescribe almost any controlled substance, including amphetamine based substances such as amphetamine, d-amphetamine, methylphenidate, d-methylphenidate, and the notorious d-methamphetamine (very rare). As long as the time frames involved and what not don't make it look like you're doctor shopping or anything, the insurance may let it go through depending on the carrier. Being a Sched II, I would say even if everything works out and you can see a new doc and get the same drugs, dont get a prescription for the same adderall until you're almost out of your original supply from the old doc to be on the safe side.

  9. #9
    theguest688 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Oh and as for that speedy feeling and brands and what not...

    I think that has more to do with the IR formulation rather than the brand or company that produces the actual amphetamine salts. The levoamphetamine in both is primarily norepinephrinergic and less dopaminergic than the dextro isomer. It is also absorbed faster by the body and stays in the body longer than the d- isomer as well. Could be why it hits you differently and why it gives you that speedy/edgy feeling. I personal never liked adderall mainly because of that feeling but switching over to dextroamphetamine (generic sustained release), its definitely tolerated much better than the adderall was (brand name XR).

  10. #10
    SiestaKeys is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    23

    Default

    theguest, with dextroamphetamine, are you referring to dexedrine(sp?)? I ask because I've heard several people say that it works better than adderall and I now wonder if the L-amphetamine is what causes more negative side effects in adderall. Also, I applaud your knowledge of amphetamines. Its nice to have someone else on these forums with quality knowledge.
    However, I dont understand your logic with the L-amph causing the speedy/edgy feeling because the XR is simply the IR x 2 doses, and they are exactly the same chemically(at least the brand name is). I think you will agree that adderall consists of 4 amph salts: a "L-amph", and 3 variations of d-amph. It is made like this because each has different strengths, effectiveness and durations. I think this is why adderall seems to have ups/downs compared to dex, which is 100% d-amph.

  11. #11
    EnoughPercs is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    , , USA.
    Posts
    38

    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
    I am on a very high dose of Adderall (240mg/day)
    How are you alive, buddy?
    I was on 80/mg a day & supposed to be on 40/mg a day + about 7-8 10/325 percocets & my doc said he's shocked I'm not dead after 3 years.
    EnoughPercs

    1st Clean Date: 3/26/07 - (Cold Turkey)
    2nd Clean Date: 9/1/07 - (Suboxone)

    ** Remember: Believing in a better you starts with believing in a higher purpose **

  12. #12
    EnoughPercs is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    , , USA.
    Posts
    38

    Default

    I appreciate the "concern", but you are not my prescribing physician. The physician I have seen this whole time is a renowned ADD/ADHD board certified specialist who has written books on the subject, is an Ivy League professor, and is also well respected by his peers within the medical community. He has been an M.D, for over 40 years, and I trust him 110% when it comes to giving me the best possible medical care and treatment.
    Unless you have similar qualifications, I would appreciate it if you didn't post negative comments. You do not know a single thing about my situation, my history, or anything else besides the fact that I take 240mg/day, and the little bit about me I just told you in this post, Otherwise, you have no clue. True, you are entitled to your opinion, but I take it personally. But thanks again for your 'concern'.[/quote]No, either your physician is worse than an idiot or you're full of horse manure.

    You can't possibly be on that dose by a prescription. Any doctor who would prescribe you to even 100mg / a day would be brought up on serious charges. I know this because I'm in the medical business myself.

    Let me educate you a little, 'Smart Guy':

    [quote]It is recommended that the maximum daily dose not exceed 40 mg (PDR). It has been reported that the duration of behavioral effects or of Adderall is generally dose-dependent, with higher doses resulting in longer duration of action (e.g., 5 mg = 3.52 hours; 20 mg = 6.40 hours). This same study found similar results for the time of peak effects for Adderall with lower doses resulting in shorter times to peak effects (e.g., 5 mg = 1.5 hours; 20 mg = 3.0 hours). In general, both the duration of action and the time to peak effects is longer for Adderall compared to methylphenidate The half-life of Adderall has not been conclusively determined, but given its chemical composition, it would be expected to be similar to that for Dexedrine! (e.g., 6-7 hours). Adderall XR has a much longer duration of action (e.g. 10-12 hours)
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-20-2018 at 12:38 AM.
    EnoughPercs

    1st Clean Date: 3/26/07 - (Cold Turkey)
    2nd Clean Date: 9/1/07 - (Suboxone)

    ** Remember: Believing in a better you starts with believing in a higher purpose **

  13. #13
    JustSomeGuy is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EnoughPercs View Post
    How are you alive, buddy?
    I was on 80/mg a day & supposed to be on 40/mg a day + about 7-8 10/325 percocets & my doc said he's shocked I'm not dead after 3 years.
    I am alive, and very well, "buddy"

  14. #14
    JustSomeGuy is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16

    Default

    First of all, I resent your first attempt to insult me with the line, "No, either your physician is worse than an idiot or you're full of horse manure."
    Also, based upon your comment that I cannot possibly be on that dose by prescription, I feel that you are calling me, more or less, a liar. Worse yet, you are implying that I am getting the drug through illegal channels. And I most certainly take offense to that. I have absolutely no reason to lie about it, so why would I??? Simply stated, you do not have the right to insult others just because you don't necessarily agree with them. And I never asked for your opinion in the first place. Furthermore, I could give a rats a** what you think about my situation.
    But you aren't satisfied with just a few insults, are you?. No. You feel compelled to add yet another, as you did with, "Let me educate you, 'Smart Guy.'" I do not appreciate your sorry a** attitude in the least bit.
    For someone who is allegedly in the medical business, you really are clueless, aren't you? Not only are you an expert in the area of drugs, and their 'appropriate' dosages, but you also imply a knowledge of the laws governing the practice of medicine as performed by licensed physicians, as evidenced by your comment regarding the serious charges that a doctor would be subject to for prescribing even 100mg/day of Adderall. You don't hesitate to quote some bull from a website regarding the 'proper' dosing of Adderall, but I fail to find any evidence presented which supports your "serious charges" line of BS. BTW, the site your quote was taken from, as if you didn't already know this, is geared toward children, and not adults. It should be obvious to you that a distinct difference exists between the two, and what may be a recommended dosage for a child is not necessarily the same that an adult would receive.
    In short, I find your attitude to be rude, offensive, unnecessary, and totally unwanted in a place such as this, where people are supposed to be helping others.
    I am normally a kind, compassionate, and caring individual who has respect for others. In this particular instance, however, I find only one way to describe how I really feel about you, and your uninformed commentary: F*** YOU, A***OLE. It is as simple as that. If that offends you, too bad. It was not I who fired the first shot. I'm merely defending myself, and rightfully so.
    As for me, I will not even bother returning to this site again. So, reply with whatever you want to. I really don;t care one bit what you say. I won't be back to read it. I have better ways to occupy my time. Having to deal with someone as obnoxious as you is nothing but a waste of my time and energy. I don't know about you, nor do I care, but my time is valuable, and I cannot afford to spend even a minute more of it on belligerant individuals like yourself.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-20-2018 at 12:38 AM.

  15. #15
    ericett is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Hi...I'll share what I know...hopefully it'll help.

    Quote Originally Posted by itsjustme123 View Post
    I am 19yrs old and since I was a freshman in high school I have been under the "care" of my psychiatrist who has been refilling my adderall. I still need to take the adderall for classes and studying but I can't have a prescription written unless i have at least a 30-min session every month with my psychiatrist (350 dollars for each 30min session).
    That does seem a bit pricey, and it almost seems as though a full hour every 3-6 months, >> this short visit would be more productive, I think I can understand your frustration.

    Quote Originally Posted by itsjustme123 View Post
    I was wondering, since I have the diagnosis paperwork for my ADHD test, can I get a prescription from my general practitioner using the paperwork? Its important that I keep going to see my psychiatrist so that my mother won't have an emotional breakdown but i was hoping to decrease the visits.
    Seems reasonable. To the best of my knowledge (note: I am not a physician or other type of expert) any M.D. with the proper license can write a prescription for Aderall. I don't think it *HAS* to be a psychiatrist. The only thing about Aderall is that because of the type of drug it is, you can't get refills and the prescription can't be called in...so you need a new, printed prescription every month. So, in theory, your general practitioner, *could* agree to do this for you. Your age might cause him or her concern, so having your history would probably help them in deciding to do this.

    Quote Originally Posted by itsjustme123 View Post
    ALSO.... if I have one prescription for adderall from my psychiatrist and my general practitioner gives me another prescription how do i go about getting them filled or how much would it be to fill the new one without using insurance?
    Why do you need 2 filled at once? If you can get a new prescription every month, why would you pay extra to have the 2nd prescription at the same time?

    Hope this helps...
    Eric

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22