Anxiety/ panic attack meds
    smakramen81 is offline New Member

Question Anxiety/ panic attack meds

About 6 months ago I started having panic attacks. I went to the doctor and she prescribed me lexapro which did nothing but made me feel like I was on fire and made me more irritable. I switched to Buspar and have been on it for about a month and Its not doing anything to help with the anxiety or attacks. Does anyone have any suggestions of what would actually work? I dont really wanna be medicated daily. It would be nice if I could find something I could just take when I needed it. Any suggestions? thanks...Stay

Mike VG is offline Member

Xanax.
    Mike VG
    Mike VG

smakramen81 is offline New Member

Default xanax

thats it.....xanax???

megan1019 is offline New Member

I take ativan for anxiety as needed. It has more affect for me >>. xanax, valium, klonipin, etc. Everyone is different though.

Well, no. Most Benzodiazepines tend to be short term prescribed, 4 months. Except for Xanax to my knowledge. Some Doctor's will overlook that though. Here ya go: alprazolam (Xanax), bromazepam (Lexotanil or Lexotan), diazepam (Valium), lorazepam (Ativan), Clonazepam (Klonopin), temazepam (Restoril), oxazepam (Serax), flunitrazepam (Rohypnol), triazolam (Halcion), chlordiazepoxide (Librium), flurazepam (Dalmane), estazolam (ProSom), lormetazepam ( Loramet), midazolam (Dormicum), nitrazepam (Mogadon), and mexazolam (Sedoxil). There are others but I'm sure you're capable of doing your own research. God Bless and take care.
    Mike VG
    Mike VG

blackcrow is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike VG View Post
    Well, no. Most Benzodiazepines tend to be short term prescribed, 4 months. Except for Xanax to my knowledge. Some Doctor's will overlook that though. Here ya go: alprazolam (Xanax), bromazepam (Lexotanil or Lexotan), diazepam (Valium), lorazepam (Ativan), Clonazepam (Klonopin), temazepam (Restoril), oxazepam (Serax), flunitrazepam (Rohypnol), triazolam (Halcion), chlordiazepoxide (Librium), flurazepam (Dalmane), estazolam (ProSom), lormetazepam ( Loramet), midazolam (Dormicum), nitrazepam (Mogadon), and mexazolam (Sedoxil). There are others but I'm sure you're capable of doing your own research. God Bless and take care.
    Mike VG
    I'm curious, though prescribed short-term, are there any known benefits upon discontinuing or are your right back to where you started.

blackcrow, although 4 months is the recommended cut-off point for anti-anxiety meds (Benzos), if you're situationally anxious (going through a death of a loved one, loss of a job, a divorce, etc...,) however, those people who are chronically anxious can be given a long-term prescription from their physician if he or she, (the physician), knows the symtoms and longevity of the illness.
    Mike VG

My doc wants to take me off wellbutrin ,clonazapam & lorazapam & put me on Lexapro & Buspar . I am concerned about the Buspar because it causes tardife dyskeniesia ( I am on another med that I have been on for years that causes tardife dyskeniesia ) I don't know if being on two meds with that potential side affect will make me more likely to get it ? Also does anyone know of any non-benzo prns ? From the people i have talked to who have tried buspar , it hasn't worked for them . If i start the Lexapro along with the buspar which is also good for anxiety at the same time & my anxiety gets better , I won't know if the buspar is actually helping & I may be putting myself at a higher risk for tardife dyskenisia when I don't need to .
    My doc thinks I am dependent on the benzo's since i have been on them for a long time . I have been on lorazapam as a prn for apx. 10 years & on clonazapam for about I think 4 or 5 years . How bad are the withdrawal symptoms coming off these meds ? what should I expect ? thanks , be well !

Minnieme is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by scared to try new med View Post
    My doc wants to take me off wellbutrin ,clonazapam & lorazapam & put me on Lexapro & Buspar . I am concerned about the Buspar because it causes tardife dyskeniesia ( I am on another med that I have been on for years that causes tardife dyskeniesia ) I don't know if being on two meds with that potential side affect will make me more likely to get it ? Also does anyone know of any non-benzo prns ? From the people i have talked to who have tried buspar , it hasn't worked for them . If i start the Lexapro along with the buspar which is also good for anxiety at the same time & my anxiety gets better , I won't know if the buspar is actually helping & I may be putting myself at a higher risk for tardife dyskenisia when I don't need to .
    My doc thinks I am dependent on the benzo's since i have been on them for a long time . I have been on lorazapam as a prn for apx. 10 years & on clonazapam for about I think 4 or 5 years . How bad are the withdrawal symptoms coming off these meds ? what should I expect ? thanks , be well !
    I was started on Paxil CR for my GAD, but had a bad reaction to it when the BP skyrocketed to over 200 and I began to have extreme panic attacks.

The Pdoc placed me on Lorazapam 1mg and it put me into a daily dream state, guess I'm sensetive to benzos. Buspar (30 mg daily) was the next try, along with Atenolol (50 mg daily) to combat hypertension.
    Been on it almost a year with no issues besides the start up side effects of light dizziness. Everyone is different and the ride will vary with meds.
    Be well!

Quote Originally Posted by Minnieme View Post
    I was started on Paxil CR for my GAD, but had a bad reaction to it when the BP skyrocketed to over 200 and I began to have extreme panic attacks.

The Pdoc placed me on Lorazapam 1mg and it put me into a daily dream state, guess I'm sensetive to benzos. Buspar (30 mg daily) was the next try, along with Atenolol (50 mg daily) to combat hypertension.
    Been on it almost a year with no issues besides the start up side effects of light dizziness. Everyone is different and the ride will vary with meds.
    Be well!
    Thank you Minnieme for your reply , it's good to hear that Buspar has worked for you . I was taking Lorazapam as a prn , With Buspar does it make your anxiety attacks go away completely or do you still get them sometimes ? I don't like the thought of not having anything to take when i get an attack . thanks .

Minnieme is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by scared to try new med View Post
    Thank you Minnieme for your reply , it's good to hear that Buspar has worked for you . I was taking Lorazapam as a prn , With Buspar does it make your anxiety attacks go away completely or do you still get them sometimes ? I don't like the thought of not having anything to take when i get an attack . thanks .
    Hi,
    So far so good-no panic attacks like I had in the past. Things that used to make me go into the fight/flight mode are still there and always will be but the meds make it a lot easier to deal with. Had quite a few cognitive sessions with my Pdoc which helped as well early on into the new med regimen.

Dealing with the demons is something I would not wish on anyone. If you can get the upper hand then that's half the battle. Take it slow and hope for the best.
    It took a little while to feel the full effect of the Buspar, around a month or so. For the Beta blocker about a week.

HydroAddict is offline Junior Member

I've taken Xanax and Klonopin for the past 14 years, off and on. NEVER simultaneously, though. Klonopin is newer and does not act as quickly as Xanax, but lasts longer. Xanax works within 10 minutes (for me), but does not last as long. Xanax withdrawal symptoms are also worse than Klonopin.

Please remember: Just because one medication works for one person, does NOT mean it will work for you. To me, Xanax and Klonopin work about the same, except I have a slight preference for Xanax.

There is now also a Xanax XR, which is a controlled-release version. The controlled-release versions of most medications, however, are usually related to when a pharmaceutical company's patent runs out. So you won't find a generic for Xanax XR. A few other examples are Wellbutrin XL, Paxil CR, and Ambien CR, which is the most recent one I know of. Funny how the minute the patent ran out, the commercials for Ambien CR, changed to: "...and look for the CR".

Zoloft is now also off patent, but I am unaware of an extended-release version for Zoloft. Celexa's manufacturer also has a new version called Lexapro, which may not be about the bottom line.

At any rate, for quick, short-term relief, I would agree with Mike VG. Xanax. If you don't have insurance, it is also the cheapest one.

Warning: Please don't take our suggestions to self-medicate. I don't believe any of us are doctors, although some doctors are either very irresponsible with writing prescriptions, and yet others have completely different philosophies where they are "against" certain medications for personal reasons. It took me several years to find that Paxil and Xanax was the right combination for me.

OFF-TOPIC: I also added Hydrocodone to my cocktail, which helps me a lot, but I am now addicted to it. Please don't make the same mistake I, along with many people out there, made.