Any idea of what my psychiatrist might prescribe?
    inlove89 is offline New Member

Default Any idea of what my psychiatrist might prescribe?

Hey everyone,

I am new here and have some questions. So about 2 years ago I was diagnosed with GAD (generalized anxiety disorder), sever depression, and obsessive thoughts and was put on zoloft and I went through CBT, which led me to get off of the medications and have my anxiety and depression under control. However, in November my dad passed away and my depression returned along with some anxiety.

I had gotten behind in school during the time my dad passed because all of my siblings left everything up to me: calling funeral homes, getting everything out of his apartment, and taking care of all the other business that needed to be taken care of... this happened to be right at the end of an 18 credit semester, so I was depressed and severely behind. In an act of desperation a friend of mine gave me an adderall because I had an assignment that would determine if I passed or failed a class. I am not necessarily happy that I took it, but the funny thing was a 30 mg XR did not hype me up like everyone had described me. Infact it took my depression away, took away my anxiety, and gave me enough focus to write a 30 page report in a night. After this I decided I needed to get professional help for my depression.

Anyways, I went to my school psych and he has been willing to work on me with anything. A few sessions ago I told him I sometimes still get in a funk (Ive been given Wellbutrin) and go back to my depressive moods, but not like it was before the medication. He asked me if I felt like I needed "something that is fast/instant acting on depression" and being worried about addiction I quickly told him no, I would try to use my CBT skills to work on it before I get something else. Well, recently the mood funks are out of my control and I am just such a negative and depressed jerk, but it isn't long term... just a few days at most. I am considering taking my doctor up on his offer as an occasional treatment.

My question is does anyone know what a doctor might prescribe that is fast acting for depression? I told him I don't want him to give me xanax as I already have many scripts for it, but resist taking it because of its addictive properties.

Thank in advance for any answers and sorry this is so long!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-22-2011 at 07:23 AM.

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Quote Originally Posted by inlove89 View Post
    Hey everyone,

I am new here and have some questions. So about 2 years ago I was diagnosed with GAD (generalized anxiety disorder), sever depression, and obsessive thoughts and was put on zoloft and I went through CBT, which led me to get off of the medications and have my anxiety and depression under control. However, in November my dad passed away and my depression returned along with some anxiety.

I had gotten behind in school during the time my dad passed because all of my siblings left everything up to me: calling funeral homes, getting everything out of his apartment, and taking care of all the other business that needed to be taken care of... this happened to be right at the end of an 18 credit semester, so I was depressed and severely behind. In an act of desperation a friend of mine gave me an adderall because I had an assignment that would determine if I passed or failed a class. I am not necessarily happy that I took it, but the funny thing was a 30 mg XR did not hype me up like everyone had described me. Infact it took my depression away, took away my anxiety, and gave me enough focus to write a 30 page report in a night. After this I decided I needed to get professional help for my depression.

Anyways, I went to my school psych and he has been willing to work on me with anything. A few sessions ago I told him I sometimes still get in a funk (Ive been given Wellbutrin) and go back to my depressive moods, but not like it was before the medication. He asked me if I felt like I needed "something that is fast/instant acting on depression" and being worried about addiction I quickly told him no, I would try to use my CBT skills to work on it before I get something else. Well, recently the mood funks are out of my control and I am just such a negative and depressed jerk, but it isn't long term... just a few days at most. I am considering taking my doctor up on his offer as an occasional treatment.

My question is does anyone know what a doctor might prescribe that is fast acting for depression? I told him I don't want him to give me xanax as I already have many scripts for it, but resist taking it because of its addictive properties.

Thank in advance for any answers and sorry this is so long!

inlove ....... First let me say that I totally respect your being conservative and trying to rely on Cognitive Behavior Therapy for your episodes/bouts of anxiety >> taking a bunch of pills. However sometimes, at least for short periods, meds are in your best interest, especially when you've shown consistent restraint with the xanax like you have. That's a difficult thing for lots of people to do. Proud of you for being prudent like that! I'm impressed and I don't impress easily

I hate to try to out-guess what a psychiatrist would prescribe for you as I am not a medical dr and there are so many meds available to choose from. Your blood pressure and lots of variables will come into play when the "good" drs prescribe meds to help you. If you are having actual panic attacks xanax used for a couple weeks, even a few weeks might help you. You are correct though that one can develop a dependency on them quickly if not very careful. If you kept the dose low and as aware as you have proven to be regarding their addictive nature they might help you. I can't say for sure.

Most antidepressants take a good 2-3 weeks to even begin helping you at all and you would likely end up on a more extended regimen using them than a benzodiazapine that will start working immediately. Plus it doesn't sound like you are clinically depressed to me. Sounds like you're just dealing with some acute emotional issues.

If you are just experiencing simple GAD issues >> severe panic attacks then xanax might be a little much for you and something with a longer half life that is specificaly designed for GAD such as klonopin or valium might help you more for a short period of time. Even ativan/lorazepan might be better, but leave that call to you and your dr to work out together. I can only emphasize to be totally honest with your dr so he can help you the best way possible.

I would give your dr a chance and see what he suggests. Adderall is not my favorite drug personally being an amphetamine but for the right person it could help you and you don't have to take it for months on end like lots of antidepressants. It's just also very addictive and you need to be careful with it as it's easy to get carried away with it.

You sound responsible to me, not like someone who is drug seeking any prescriptions unless you have totally fooled me which is hard to do. I've done this a long time and can read people pretty well. You sound responsible to me. I would say you should go see your dr, that is what they are for. Express your concerns about becoming dependent to medications in detail and see what he has to suggest. You can always say NO to what is suggested. I just contend that sometimes it helps to take a klonopin a day for just a few weeks. Even an adderall a day for a few weeks might help you. But I would give the dr the benefit of the doubt to help you for the short term. Just be aware that lots of drs tend to prescribe meds longer than required. You, however, are the customer and you don't have to take anything for a long period. I bet you will know if the time frame for using is getting carried away.

Keep us posted how things go for you. But for what it's worth, I would give the dr a chance to at least see what he suggests. Hope that helps. Don't feel like a low life because you may need some meds for a few weeks. That is what they are for, a medicinal use. Just continue to be conservative and don't allow anyone to talk you into doing anything you feel uncomfortable with doing. . I am here if there is anything I can do for you. I wish the best of luck to you and God bless.

inlove89 is offline New Member

Thank you for your reply

I am not sure if I said what I meant clearly, but I am currently taking Wellbutrin 250 mg 2x Daily and have been for about 2 months. I def am suffering from depression, I didn't really include much background info in my last post, but I feel so worthless, ugly, and disgusting. I never want to do anything but lay in bed, and when I get in one of my moods I am just one negative Nancy and nothing can change it. My anxiety is definitely something I can spot very quickly, and luckily I have not had too much anxiety in recent months. In addition before I was put on wellbutrin I could NOT remember ANYTHING, seriously I would say something and 3 minutes later I couldn't repeat it back. Also, I was having an awful time focusing on anything, I would be reading for class and I would reread the same sentence or paragraph maybe 30 times and still not retain anything that I had just read. I am still having problems with that, but it is a little better since I have been on Wellbutrin.

I was just wondering if there was maybe a specific drug that is for instant relief of depression symptoms. I know benzo's are good at fast acting in cases of anxiety, but I am really not suffering from that during my down days. Also, benzo's don't do too much for me, I don't feel anything from even a 0.5 mg tab and I do not take it regularly, or pretty much ever.

Have you heard of any drugs that are specific for treating depression symptoms as a quick fix type of thing?

shybaybe2003 is offline Member

i have worked in mental health facilities for years, plus i am also an addict. I dont believe there is any "fast acting " depression pills except benzos, which like you said , are for anxiety. Just dont start trying to self medicate with opiates like some of us have, or amphetamines. I wish you all the luck in the world!

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

inlove ....... It's that desire for good old "instant gratification" that landed most of us in this mess to begin with. As shybaby said, other than benzos, which are often more addictive than lots of street grade >>>>>>, it takes time to overcome clinical depression. And we often have to go through several meds back to back before we ever find the one that helps us and doesn't cause so many side effects it's worse than the illness itself. Be very careful and get with a good dr. Good luck and God bless.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-22-2011 at 09:44 PM.

MaisieC is offline Senior Member

Hi inlove,

As others have mentioned, there is no medication that provides instant relief for depression. If that's really what your doctor said (is it possible you misunderstood?), you should find another doctor.

My understanding is that Wellbutrin can sometimes work very quickly, but for some people it doesn't work at all, so it's not known as a quick remedy.

The SSRIs can take a while to be effective. My doctor explained it this way: of the people who will respond positively to an SSRI (some don't), 50% will get relief by the first week, 70% by the second week, 90% by the third week, and the last 10% require four weeks to get relief from the medication. So when they say it takes a month for an SSRI to work, they're being conservative to avoid getting your hopes up and to prevent you from giving up on the medication if you don't get quick results.

You mentioned in your first post the idea of taking meds as an "occasional treatment." I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that, but anti-depressant meds are not meant to be taken when you're having a bad week and then dropped. I think they ask you to commit a minimum of six months on a course of treatment. Going on and off them is too close to pill-popping, from a behavioral standpoint, and it's actually not good for your mood over time.

I'm sorry for the loss of your father. I know how hard that is, and it sounds like your siblings put too much of the burden on you. I know how that is, too, unfortunately. Maybe a six-month course of treatment with something would help you push the "reset" button. There's a difference between normal grieving and depression, and you want to be able to grieve your loss without feeling desperately miserable.

I hope you feel better!

Maisie