Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Catslady
Been on Suboxone for almost 6 yrs now and worried to stop
    HandyGuy is offline New Member

Question Been on Suboxone for almost 6 yrs now and worried to stop

So I have been on suboxone for nearly 6 yrs now. I am currently on a 2mg pill and I quarter that, so .5mg each day. Before getting on suboxone I was into the black tar and I knew I needed off. I tried to just stop but the withdrawal was bad enough that I wanted to die. I ended up finding suboxone,which helped me. I do take it everyday and I do notice that somedays before work if I miss it I start to get cold sweats during the day and the blah feeling. I really want to completely get off suboxone but I think having gone through the real withdrawal I am worring myself. Has anyone been on suboxone for this long and stopped? What did they experience? Do I need to take off from work? Is there anything I can take before hand or to speed up the process if I am going to be sick? My wife says that it is all in my head and its easy to just stop but this is coming from someone who does even drink alcohol. Any advise...

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

First off...this is not all in your head. It's difficult for most people (even addicts) to imagine that only .5 or even less of sub is enough to make a difference. The half life of subs is really long, as long as 72 hrs. This means that in no time at all the amount of sub that has built up in your system is significantly higher than what your daily dose is and the longer you take it, the more it has accumulated. There is good news though and that's the sub taper plan used here works and if done correctly, any symptoms you have will be mild and shouldn't interrupt your life.

You should begin to reduce your daily dose by very small amounts. Most people do 25% reductions and stay there until any mild symptoms subside. Do not attempt another reduction until you are stable. There are others who reduce by smaller amounts like 10% and because you have been taking them for so long, this just might be a good choice for you. The important thing to remember is to be consistent in the amount of sub you take per day and to stay at that dose until you're stable, usually 4 or 5 days, but if you need to stay at a dose longer then you should do it. It's far more important to be stable than to reduce again before you're ready.

It can get tricky cutting accurate doses once you're down to these smaller doses. Someone suggested that you crush the pill and divide it into piles of the correct dose. So, if you have 2mg pills, you could cut it in four getting (4) .5 doses. Take the .5 dose and crush it. If you intend to reduce by 10%, divide that into 5 equal piles and take four of them by using a business card to pick up the dust and pour it under your tongue. It won't matter that it's crushed. Put the last pile into an old pill bottle. You can keep track of the number of .10 piles you've put into the bottle and use it after a few days when it reaches your daily dose.

You will probably feel each reduction but it will be nothing like what you have experienced trying to jump from H. Keep the Immodium handy in case your stomach rebels and you are needing the bathroom. Drink tons of water and take a B6 vitamin. Gatorade or some other drink similar to replenish your electrolytes. Common sense goes a long way. Just eat healthy and drink plenty. It will make you stronger and it won't hurt. I just recently began to make smoothies in the morning using protein powder and fresh or frozen fruit. I've been clean for over 6 years but I've read so many people here doing this and saying they felt better for it, I decided to try it too. I have to admit that I seem to have more energy. If it's all in my head, it's OK. I at least know it's good for me and much better than skipping breakfast as is my habit.

Read around this Forum and post with updates. You'll get good advice and you'll be done with those subs before you know it. Do the math. Even with 10% reductions made every 4 or 5 days, you're only a few weeks away.

Peace,

Cat

Sorry. I should have mentioned that the percentage of your reductions is based on your current dose. So, 10% of .5 would have you at a new dose of .4. Your next reduction would be 10% of .4 and so on. Most people reduce to under .25 and some to .125 and then begin skip days. Dose, skip a day. Dose, skip two days. Dose and you're done. It makes the jump go smoother this way as your body adjusts to very low doses and allows for the long half life.

Peace,

Cat

kclarke is offline New Member

It's not in your head. Do exactly what Catrina says. I got tired of tapering down and feeling like >>>> for a few days while I adjusted to the smaller amount, I cut down to 1/4 of a strip for almost a week and I got tired of it and just jumped off. Bad news. I did ok up until the 7th day and then it got hard for me for some reason. Day 9 now and I'm feeling better except for the pain in my back. Get off the Sub and realize that your emotions have been non-existent for 6 yrs. It's been a super weird detox but I will never take it again. I had to take it because I went through 2 years of pain and surgeries and came out addicted to the pain meds. The Subs made it so easy. My doc said they were great and I went with it. It causes more problems than I knew if used long term. I used it for two years and he really should have done a quick detox with it,. I'm pretty sure he gets kickbacks to keep me on it. Get some Kratom. Ive had friends that swear it works to keep the withdrawal down. I'm using Calm Support and I think it helps. Good luck and go for it. Do it the right way and don't jump off early the way I did.

Catslady is offline New Member

Default In the same boat but much higher dose

Hi. I just wanted to make contact with someone else who's been on Sub as long as me. I got down to 1/4of an 8 mg pill per day (2mg) but that's the lowest I've every been. I'm back up up to a whole pill and and a half now, it's awful.
    I need help, motivation to quit. My husband takes Suboxone 1/2 a strip or less per day. He's been in on it five and half years. I got him off it once by giving him fake crumbs of Trazodone that be thought were Subutex but be decided to go back on when he found out. Now he's sorry.

How go I go from 1 1/2 pills off? Woould using other opiates help during the first couple of weeks when it's at the worst?

Please reply someone, I'm 60 mow and need off this stuff. It's ruining - and running my life now. I HATE the doctor I get it from. He's a jerk with a God complex. He told me he "wields his power with his pen" meaning he threatens to withhold your script if you don't keep your nose up his butt.

Please help

Dagny
    Catrina likes this.
    I know I can do whatever I have to. I am blessed to have been forced into learning this at a relatively early age.

Quote Originally Posted by Catslady View Post
    Hi. I just wanted to make contact with someone else who's been on Sub as long as me. I got down to 1/4of an 8 mg pill per day (2mg) but that's the lowest I've every been. I'm back up up to a whole pill and and a half now, it's awful.
    I need help, motivation to quit. My husband takes Suboxone 1/2 a strip or less per day. He's been in on it five and half years. I got him off it once by giving him fake crumbs of Trazodone that be thought were Subutex but be decided to go back on when he found out. Now he's sorry.

How go I go from 1 1/2 pills off? Woould using other opiates help during the first couple of weeks when it's at the worst?

Please reply someone, I'm 60 mow and need off this stuff. It's ruining - and running my life now. I HATE the doctor I get it from. He's a jerk with a God complex. He told me he "wields his power with his pen" meaning he threatens to withhold your script if you don't keep your nose up his butt.

Please help

Dagny
    Catslady,

Start your own thread. There's a link on the home page so just follow the prompts. If you're taking 1 and 1/2 tabs per day that's 12mg! Way too high. The plan used here tried and true is Roberts Sub Taper Plan. It's absolutely not too late to get you off these things once and for all.

Please start your own thread. That way it will be easier to find you and easier for you to find responses directed to you. We can help! Trust me on that. I have questions, but get that thread going and we'll get you going. By the way, at the high dose you're at, the initial reductions will hardly be noticeable, (if at all) if you follow the plan.

See you on your new thread.

Peace,

Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Catslady View Post

Please help

Dagny
    Ive been on strips for 3 years. 12 mg a day. I've already written my story a couple times and waiting on responses . I want off these so bad but am very afraid. I don't know what to do. I also can't seem to figure out how to start my own thread. I just joined this today. I can take 3 weeks off work and may tough it out at home. Kinda scared too. Once the physical symptoms pass i feel if I exercise n get healthy I'll manage the psychological part. Just not sure how long the physical will last. Is 3 weeks enough time? Ugh... i wish I never got on these. I hate subs. What makes it worse is i don't go to the doc. I get with this girl that goes and I get 40 strips a month. She needs me as much as I need her but very stressful relying on her. My soon to be ex wife is the one that went to the doc n we split the script. She moved out due to other addictions that were out of control. She chose them. I'm better off. Anyway, that's a whole different story. I'm alone and kinda scared to detox alone. I can prepare and am gonna try to lower my dose so by the time I can take my 3 weeks off I'll be down to less than a whole one. Sorry, I'm rambling. Just tired of living in fear and worry. Wanna be free. Just very afraid.

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by 3yearsncounting View Post
    Ive been on strips for 3 years. 12 mg a day. I've already written my story a couple times and waiting on responses . I want off these so bad but am very afraid. I don't know what to do. I also can't seem to figure out how to start my own thread. I just joined this today. I can take 3 weeks off work and may tough it out at home. Kinda scared too. Once the physical symptoms pass i feel if I exercise n get healthy I'll manage the psychological part. Just not sure how long the physical will last. Is 3 weeks enough time? Ugh... i wish I never got on these. I hate subs. What makes it worse is i don't go to the doc. I get with this girl that goes and I get 40 strips a month. She needs me as much as I need her but very stressful relying on her. My soon to be ex wife is the one that went to the doc n we split the script. She moved out due to other addictions that were out of control. She chose them. I'm better off. Anyway, that's a whole different story. I'm alone and kinda scared to detox alone. I can prepare and am gonna try to lower my dose so by the time I can take my 3 weeks off I'll be down to less than a whole one. Sorry, I'm rambling. Just tired of living in fear and worry. Wanna be free. Just very afraid.
    I replied to your original thread, Others will be by to chime in also. It's slow in the forums on the weekends so it might take a while to get more responses?

Serveothers23 is offline New Member

Default Had a question

Quote Originally Posted by Catrina View Post
    Sorry. I should have mentioned that the percentage of your reductions is based on your current dose. So, 10% of .5 would have you at a new dose of .4. Your next reduction would be 10% of .4 and so on. Most people reduce to under .25 and some to .125 and then begin skip days. Dose, skip a day. Dose, skip two days. Dose and you're done. It makes the jump go smoother this way as your body adjusts to very low doses and allows for the long half life.

Peace,

Cat
    I have been tapering about 3 months . I have been on .25 for several days and messed up out of fear that my dose was wasted and took close to 1 mg today. Any suggestions on what I should do tomorrow...go back to .25 or start back higher...this is the most I have taken in several weeks as I have followed the taper as close as possible..
    Thanks

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Serveothers23 View Post
    I have been tapering about 3 months . I have been on .25 for several days and messed up out of fear that my dose was wasted and took close to 1 mg today. Any suggestions on what I should do tomorrow...go back to .25 or start back higher...this is the most I have taken in several weeks as I have followed the taper as close as possible..
    Thanks
    Edit / Delete Edit Post Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message
    I would go back to your .25mg/day! You should be dosing at the same time everyday, this is important to keep an as level and stable amount of sub in your system as possible. Are you thinking of jumping off soon or tapering a bit more?

Serveothers23 is offline New Member

I am going to reduce way down using liquid method...I did this once before last year when j had to have surgery. Probably as low as possible was my thought , really ready and that's why yesterday was so disappointing . I took .5 today and will go back to .25 tomorrow...thanks for advice. I assumed your notion since my levels overall would still be low from previous tapering

Sisco510 is offline New Member

I just came off sub was clean for two weeks then took some kratom its now been 3 weeks im a little woried because slight withdrwal symptoms kick back in im not sure if it is the kratom or sub still leaving my body any advice