Beware Ambien
    sue13 is offline Member

Default Beware Ambien

I haven't been on here for a while, but I have been so helped by this site.

News from the front: my daughter has been taking Ambien and discovered (is this true?) from her DR. that Ambien is an amesiac, which is to say you THINK you have slept, but you haven't hence the same tiredness, and no real relief.

Anyone have experience with this?

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Sue .... Ambien is called a hypnotic drug, I don't think that is necessarily an amnesiac. I stand corrected but that doesn't sound right. I don't totally understand the term amnesiac. It doesn't cause amnesia, but SOME people don't remember certain things they do while taking it. Calling it an amnesiac to me means that it specifically causes amnesia. Here is the ambien link.

https://www.drugs.com/ambien.html

It goes without saying that natural sleep is better than any "drug-induced" sleep. I don't do well ambien, lots of people don't. But having some sleep beats no sleep even if it's drug-induced after going without for long enough.

I don't like ambien for me. I don't recommend it. But if a person goes without sleep for long enough it does have a purpose for short term use. God bless.

cherry14 is offline Member

Ambien is a sedative/hypnotic, and one of the side effects can be amnesia, but not to the degree that you think you've slept and actually haven't, so I do not believe that that's accurate, no. It's not like you're actually awake the whole night but just don't realize it. Many people don't have that tired feeling the next day when taking Ambien (for me it works well, and I feel more tired the next day if I take Benadryl than Ambien).

karenr888 is offline New Member

Thumbs down AMBIEN REACTION (Thread: Beware Ambien)

Quote Originally Posted by Sue13 View Post
    I haven't been on here for a while, but I have been so helped by this site.

News from the front: my daughter has been taking Ambien and discovered (is this true?) from her DR. that Ambien is an amesiac, which is to say you THINK you have slept, but you haven't hence the same tiredness, and no real relief.

Anyone have experience with this?
    "I can only tell you that I will NEVER take Ambien again. I had a major surgery and took 1 Ambien at night for 7 nights only. Thank GOD I stayed at my daughter's home--I had sleepwalking incidents for not only the 7 nights but for also the following 72 hours. I actually "petted" my daughter's black purse, thinking it was my 25 lb. black cat!! My daughter thought I had flipped out! I do have a friend that has not had the same negative reaction as I, but for me, NEVER AGAIN!! Good luck.

LondonToLA is offline Member

I can make a list of the stupid and dangerous things I've done while on Ambien. Though this drug does allow me to sleep if I take it correctly, it's fairly dangerous IMO.

delaney81 is offline New Member

Oh Ambien is a horrible sleeping medication. My boyfriend was prescribed & the first night he took it he woke me at 3am to have me look out the window b/c he saw girls laying in our yard swinging their legs in the air... LOL.. then another night he said the speakers to the radio were walking towards him. After that I immediatly called his doctor & told him to take him off of it! It was giving me insomnia b/c i was afraid to go to sleep for fear of what my boyfriend might do while on it!

rcszigeti is offline Banned

Talking just say no

ro ambien or stilnox cause it's not worth taking - just stay up and read a book until you feel tired.

tired2 is offline Senior Member

Ambien can make you do strange things...I actually drove to McDonald's to get an ice cream cone and do not remember driving home...that was scary.
    I even got up thru the night ate a pcs of cheese cake and never remembered
    eating it just saw the fork and plate in the garbage. I never felt like I really slept would wake in a fog.

bev49 is offline Banned

Ambien has actually been used as a defense in several criminal cases. For example, a hit and run where the person swore he had no memory of even getting in the car. Whether that is true or not I have no idea but it documented to some people sleep walk, have no memory of things they've done during the night so it could be dangerous. Having said that, I used to take it with no ill effects whatsoever. It just didn't work too well. It would make me fall asleep but then I'd still wake up 4-5 hours later. Doc wanted to give me the long acted but I passed. My .5 Klonopin works better (not advising that either, just saying).

blackrainbow is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb

Yes, there is alot of probs associated with this drug. I must say though its helping me alot. Especially since I am detoxing from pain killers. This helps me sleep... Ambien is nice. I think once I kick my primary habit "percocets" I will have to then stop with ambien. I can say from personal exp! I have had long conversations where I didn't remember what was said. Someone I lived with was also taking advantage of me and my ambien use. I know its something you hear about but it does happen..... Happens all the time. I sleep good though on this and somedays are foggy.

I also hope I never get in my car and drive while on ambien.....omg! LOL

I got up in the middle of the night while asleep on ambien and cooked steaks and sausages on the grill, ate a bunch of peanut butter and Ritz crackers, I still don't remember any of it to this day. There was still a fire on the grill the next morning when I got up which kind of concerned me.

I am very careful about how I use Ambien. Having sleep disorders I've tried just about everything there is to try for sleep. Make sure how you react to it before compromising anyone. God bless.

Businessman1 is offline Member

Default A different experience

I was a little scared of ambien after everything I had heard and read. I took it in the end when nothing else worked. I had no negative experiences with it. It did make me forget some details from the time I took it until I fell asleep but other than having to watch the same episode of Entourage twice, no issues.

I also woke up the next day feeling well rested which I hadn't for a while. I guess everyone is different. If any of you are thinking of trying it and have concerns, tell someone who can watch out for you before taking it the first time.

They wouldn't prescribe it if it made everyone do dangerous things.

As a side-note, it is only a temporary solution and like many drugs, if you take it everyday you will build a tolerance. I try to limit the days I take it but I still find it really difficult to get a good night sleep naturally. None of the OTC meds work for me.

BTW, Robert, were the steaks good?

businessman .... hell ya the steaks were good! Everything I cook is good whether it's ambien-induced or not! God bless.

That's funny I never cooked, ate, or drove but hey maybe I just don't remember . I agree with the others make sure someone is there. Always take caution in meds period...Make sure to speak to someone who is qualified in prescribing this drug. What works for some may be entirely different to others...

Businessman1 is offline Member

That's awesome, maybe I'll give some to my girlfriend and see if it makes her cook - that really would make it a miracle drug.

rcszigeti is offline Banned

Red face

I used ambien in the past and I regret it.