buspirone
    preza is offline Junior Member

Default buspirone

Hello, I went to a doctor to explain him that I am having difficulties falling asleep.

He prescribed me buspirone (Bespar) to take as needed.

Is it working if I take it 3-4 times per week to help fall asleep?

Or is it working like SSRIs? (you have to take it daily and wait a couple of weeks to calm you down)

Thanks.

Aladdinsane is offline New Member

Default Buspirone

Buspirone is an anti-anxiety medication that takes 4 to 6 weeks to work. It is not sedating at all and won't help you sleep; in fact, it causes sleep disturbances and parasomnias such as sleepwalking and disturbed REM. You should ask your doctor for a sedative such as Dalmane (Flurazepam) or Halcion (Triazolam). The best sleep medecine i took (and i tried a lot, having been diagnosed with rapid cycling bipolar disorder a decade ago) is Klonopin (Clonazepam). It will provide you with an excellent night sleep and you'll feel refresh in the morning. Ask for 2mg per night. Avoid Seroquel or Zyprexa; sometimes, doctors prescribe these antipsychotic meds for insomnia but they have too much bad side effects. Avoid also Zopiclone since it can cause cancer and tolerance to its sedating effects comes fast, whereas there are no tolerance to the calming effects of Clonazepam, even after years of taking it.

Default Klonopin is an abusable drug

preza-
    I'd be wary of using a benzodiazapine, without knowing more about the causes and duration of your sleep problem. Aladinsane says tolerance doesn't develop, but that is not true according to the PDR. It has a warning on it that it has the potential for abuse,( same warning as xanax) and there are klonopin support groups elsewhere on this web site for people detoxing from this benzo. Many doctors won't prescribe it, if less habit-forming medications work. Hence, the buspar you've been given. It works best if you take it daily,regularly, to combat your anxiety. Then you will be relaxed enough so that at night you'll fall asleep naturally. Buspar won't force you to sleep like a benzo;it'll relax you over the course of time so that you can fall asleep naturally.
    Melatonin which in this country is over-the-counter can be very effective at 0.5 to 1 mg an hour before sleep. (In Europe it's a prescription drug.)
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-08-2011 at 01:46 PM. Reason: clarification

Well thanks for the unexpected replies.

I am very cautious with benzos and I do not want to depend my sleep to benzos. I have some very light ones (tranxene) which I use 3-4 times per month.

Thats why I was prescribed circadin (melatonin) in combination with Bespar.

As I was a two years lexapro user, and do not want another drug to take it daily, I rather prefer to take something as needed to help my fall asleep. I know melatonin can be taken as needed and not daily, thats why I asked about buspirone. As I can see I may need to avoid buspirone.

Default Melatonin

My daughter travels abroad for a living and she uses melatonin successfully. It may be the right thing for you. Our bodies only make naturally about 1 mg a day, so if you take a huge dose (more than 1 mg) you will suppress your bodies own ability to make its own melatonin and you'll end up an every night user.
    But you plan for intermittent use should be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by shrimpboat 1942 View Post
    My daughter travels abroad for a living and she uses melatonin successfully. It may be the right thing for you. Our bodies only make naturally about 1 mg a day, so if you take a huge dose (more than 1 mg) you will suppress your bodies own ability to make its own melatonin and you'll end up an every night user.
    But you plan for intermittent use should be successful.
    Hi shrimpboat, there are in Europe tens (maybe hundreds) drugs containing melatonin. Which one you suggest to be more effective?

Default I"m in the US

Preza--I'm in the US--I don't know the European brands of melatonin. Sorry.