• 1 Post By Anonymous
  • 1 Post By Denny_D
  • 1 Post By primetimegrape
  • 1 Post By Anonymous
  • 1 Post By And.the.wisdom.to...
  • 1 Post By ekidrocks2112
Doctor told me Subutex will not longer be available in US due to abuse
    SWIM942 is offline New Member

Question Doctor told me Subutex will not longer be available in US due to abuse

Im trying to find out of this is a rumor or not, but he said he was in contact with the manufacture and told me i would have to go back on suboxone or the film versioin. I said even the 2 companys that are generic? He said yes, and he would keep prescribing subutex to me until the time comes.

Subutex has been a great improvment to me over suboxone. Suboxone always felt like it was fighting itself inside my body. I do not get high on subutex when i take it orally. I did hear that you can inject it, and heard so many horror storries of peoples artieries clogging up that i didnt even try to attempt it.

Im clean and sober(i dont think subutex is just tradding one addiction for another like methadone is) I could probably come off subutex, but i like its anti depressive properties.
    Lance79 likes this.

Denny_D is offline Advanced Member

SWIM ..... I haven't heard anything of the sort about the Subutex not being available in the US shortly. Not saying it isn't true, just haven't heard anything.

On another note, you can not consider yourself clean when you are taking Subutex/Suboxone. They both are an opiate. Granted they are a much different one, but still an opiate.

On the forum you are not considered to be clean while taking Subs. You may have stopped taking your other drug of choice, but you're still taking opiates. Sorry to have to be the one to tell you this and I mean no disrespect to you.

Hope this helps and God Bless.....Denny
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-27-2018 at 06:22 AM.
    Robert_325 and primetimegrape like this.

SWIM942 is offline New Member

well call me addicted to an anti depressent. we are almost all adicted to something(video games, gym etc)
    what456 likes this.

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

That's a crock! They are not going to stop prescribing subutex or buprenorphine in the United States.
    primetimegrape likes this.

Just wanted him to realize that unlike other forums or doctors statements that a person is considered clean if they are using Suboxone. That is not true. This person will never be considered clean until he is free of the very substance that he may take for the rest of his life which is opiate based.

I support him all the way, but he must realize where he is at in his recovery. If he thinks he is "clean and sober" that's perfectly fine with me. As I said he must also be told in no uncertain terms that this is truely not the case. God Bless....Denny
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-28-2018 at 03:43 AM.
    sdonna68 and Robert_325 like this.

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Denny ..... I would like to get you hooked up with a few of us on facebook or at least by email as soon as you are able. I saw your message to Henry yesterday and I understand your situation. Just let me know when you can do it and we'll figure out a way to connect. Then we can talk about things in more privacy as friends. Headed to the pool as I only have a few days left. God bless.

Robert .... that would be fine with me. I'll have my computer back from the repair shop when you are back home and had a chance to recover. We'll figure it out then. Praying for you to have a successful time in surgery and a speedy recovery! God Bless.....Denny

p.s. If I can help Melinda with anything while you are away please don't hesitate to have her ask me. I mean it to.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-28-2018 at 03:43 AM.

Excellent point. These drugs, although very useful for detox, have their own addiction risks. I posted something earlier in another thread where someone said that he was running low on Suboxone because he started feeling withdrawals from his 4 year Oxy abuse. The strange thing was he said he had been detoxing with the Subs for a year now. I don't know alot about Subs, but a year on them detoxing sounds strange. I thought they were for short term use, of course depending on the individual and DOC and amt..etc.. but a year on them???? He has a refill on Tuesday and was tempted to take a hydrocodone to ward off withdrawal and said he would wait to take it until it became just unbearable. I highly discouraged this and told him maybe it was not even w/d's from the Subs, he could have been sick, physically sick with an illness. Told him he should have talked to his doctor before raising his Sub dose, but y'all def. know more about Subs than me, so I do not know if staying on Subs for a year is considered normal detox off a four-year Oxy habit. I could be wrong. That post is a new one. Forget which one, but it is there, anyway I couldn't agree more with saying no-one is technically "clean" while on Subs. Going in the right direction, yes.. as long as u follow proper procedure which u and Robert know all about. Subs can be addicting, but there is no way I see Subutex being taken off the market. That makes no sense, and as far as the other guy being on Subs for a year, I am interested in knowing if ppl actually do have to stay on them that long. Again, my knowledge is expansive in general but I have limited knowledge on Subs and would like more info. (which I am gaining in these forums) on how long someone should be taking such a drug. God Bless
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-28-2018 at 03:45 AM.

Anonymous Guest

grape, there have been people on subs for over 5 years on this forum. yup....

and although the taper and treatment method suggests the 6 to 8 week taper. its not set in stone alright. and even robert knows, there are exceptions to the rule. some of us long termers, need it more as a back stop than anything. till we get our lives in order.

as ive said before, i used for over 2o years, and took 1 year 3 months on subs. i actually got reasonably low, got to .5mg and sat on there for ages. it was like a back up for me. i knew i couldnt use while on them, even if i felt like it.

so for me. it was the perfect amount of time. my doctor would have me still on it. on a high dose i guess. but i wanted off. so i did it in my time.

cant see them takin it off the market, heaps of people are addicted to it and its a money makin game for heaps of them.
    shrimpboat 1942 likes this.

primetime ..... The question was are they going to eliminate Bupfrenorphine in the United States. The answer is no they are not! Period.

And also there have been many people on this forum that have been on Subs for many years. I'm talking 3 or more. Several that I have personally been trying to help have used Subs for 5 or more years. There are many more.

Suboxone/Subutex was designed to be used short-term. And the Sub Induction and Taper Plan developed by Robert was to be used for 6 to 8 weeks or so. It is not written in stone. If someone takes 6 months to 1 year to get him/her self clean, that's just fine. Or even more time like Cheeky says. If you get yourself clean does it really matter how long it takes? Not really.

It's just that the ideal way to use Subs is certainly short-term to hopefully get a person clean before they have an addiction problem with the very thing designed to get them clean in the first place. That's it.

Some people really struggle with Subs because as I have said so many times that I'm almost tired of saying it is, Subs are just so strong and powerful that it is not taken seriously by many. When it was first used in Europe it was prescribed as a "pain medication". It was dispensed in doses of 0.02mg and 0.04mg. That is so small of a piece, you could barely see it if it was actual Buprenorphine. Fillers were added to make the pill larger. Hope this helps and God Bless....Denny
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-28-2018 at 03:44 AM.
    sdonna68 likes this.

Thank u Denny and Cheeky. I am really just learning about Subs but am fascinated by all the posts I have seen with y'all and Robert helping ppl on Subs and how the taper process goes. I never took subs to taper, heck never even knew of them back in those days, lol, but I think it is awesome that y'all have a detailed POA (plan of action) that u implement for ppl depending on the person's situation and DOC and amt of time..etc that u can help ppl to taper, as long as he or she listens to your advice. It is ppl like u and your hard work that help addicts who want to get clean, get clean and that only makes the world a better place. God Bless and thanks for the info!
    sdonna68 likes this.

Anonymous Guest

Some people really struggle with Subs because as I have said so many times that I'm almost tired of saying it is, Subs are just so strong and powerful that it is not taken seriously by many. When it was first used in Europe it was prescribed as a "pain medication". It was dispensed in doses of 0.02mg and 0.04mg. That is so small of a piece, you could barely see it if it was actual Buprenorphine. Fillers were added to make the pill larger. Hope this helps and God Bless....Denny

Hey Denny, fyi, they used to be available here too, if you google, or wiki the name, temgesic. you will see.
    they came in .2mg and .4mg ,

i can remember them from the old days, interesting read anyway.
    i know you want to be giving correct information, i definately know these doses. temgesic was also available in injection form.

no worries.
    cheeky
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-25-2011 at 05:05 AM.

I know that Cheeky. I put the decimal in the wrong place is all. I have read and read everything I can find about these things. Thank you....Denny

I put 0.02 and 0.04 should have been 0.2 and 0.4 as you say.

Anonymous Guest

haha yup right. one little decimal can make a huge different is all.....
    PersephonedeHades likes this.

Default My Doc also told me Subutex & all generic bupe will no longer be avail after Dec'11

The reason my doctor heard was also this trumped up abuse angle, specifically through insulation. That is a load of hooey, might as well discontinue the manufacture of all narcotics b/c some ppl may (and will) abuse them. After any period of time, even as short as a week, there is NO EUPHORIC EFFECT from taking them. Naloxone only blocks the effects of intravenous use (see addtl. comments below) This is clearly being driven by the pharmaceutical lobby, particularly the RB lobby (Reckitt Benickiser, manufacturer of Suboxone) who wants a captive market of the drug buprenorphine, currently the most effective drug for opiate addiction maintenance and detox as well as the only other alternative to treat chronic pain with a partial agonist opiate versus the full agonist, highly addictive opiates (oxycodone, hydrocodone, methadone, codeine, etc.). None of this rumored ban (I have not been able to find any official gov announcement regarding this impending restriction) has to do with safety, abuse or addiction...it is greed pure and simple. Anyone who knows anything about the action of buprenorphine (36-72hrs+ half life) knows that it is the drug itself and how it binds to the opiate receptors, not the Naloxone (1.5hr half life) in Suboxone, that blocks the effects of full agonist opioids. Maybe if the folks making the laws did their homework rather than being hood-winked, bullied and paid off by the pharmaceutical lobbyists, none of this would be an issue. **If anyone does find some sort of official announcement of the FDA's discontinuing of generic Subutex, please post a link to that information.**

When I severely injured myself after years in the Program, I refused traditional narcotics and I eventually found a great, ethical doctor who understands pain AND addiction. Suboxone gave me the ability to get through the day like a halfway normal person. Easy peasy, it the curbs the pain, I never feel high, and never crave anything else. Thanks to the good Lord above, I was never an IV user. (Which in fact happens to be the only method of ingestion the Naloxone in Suboxone counters.) I never got an early refill, never had a dirty urine and, most of all, was perennially sober, lucid and engaging but I was having trouble filling my ridiculously expensive Suboxone script plus buying food and keeping the lights on, so he switched me to generic Subutex. Through corrective surgery I had hoped to be able to be pain and medicine free this month, but this has been indefinitely postponed due to some medical issues uncovered during a routine pre-op blood test. I give this background both for the edification of any readers and to make the point that I am and remain a person in the Program person...you friends of Bill know of what I speak, and I am clean and sober and proud of it. Which brings me to...

Anyone on Sub maintenance or detox knows that there is absolutely no high or euphoria associated with taking it as prescribed and, because of this, it is quite easy to take as prescribed and a truly wonderful alternative to those of us who cannot take full agonist opiates without the temptation to abuse them. Just as no one can tell another that s/he is an addict, no one has the the right to judge another's sobriety. Shame on you Denny, you have no right to judge another's life of sobriety. There are the program fanatics everywhere, and I am NOT saying you are one, but where is the line? I have seen people told that they are not sober if they are on anti-depressants (Lexapro, Zoloft, etc.) and even as far as to say one is not clean if s/he still "uses" nicotine or caffeine. If someone obtains a higher quality of life on an anti-depressant or a mood stabilizer, whether it be Prozac and Lamictal or a cup of coffee and a cigarette, are they not sober? If someone is NOT ABUSING alcohol or drugs, who is anyone else to say that they are not clean and sober? Who or what is the almighty judge of sobriety? Please, to all those that have posts and to anyone else out there who may feel judged, if you feel in your heart that you are sober, then so you are. That is between you and your Higher Power

Good luck and blessings to all out there. Be healthy, be safe and stay positive.
    littln123 likes this.

ekidrocks2112 is offline New Member

The problem for me is that I can't take Suboxone, I can only take buprenorphine without the naloxone! My doctor has well documented the negative effects(I become very depressed, suicial on Suboxone) so I'm not sure if the generic for buprenorphine will still be available as nothing in the above link mentions it. At any rate, anyone taking the Suboxone pills will be forced to switch to the Suboxone film! Good luck to you all!!!
    sdonna68 likes this.

reapr is offline New Member

thats messed up. i have no insurance, so for suboxone ima have to pay $10 a pop, atleast with subutex they $5. i guess ima have go back to pain management

Aceman7018 is offline New Member

Yes my doctor told me in November of 2015 will be the last of soboxen. He sad you will have to go to an emergency room to get them!

Aceman7018 is offline New Member

Yes it's true my dr told me November will be the last you will have to go to an emergency room to get them

PersephonedeHades is offline New Member

I beg to differ, and this is why I don't discuss my medically prescribed drugs with people in recovery - because more than a few will try to make you feel "less than" if you're taking a "mood or mind altering substance." Buprenorphine saved my life, and I am not going to stop taking it based on an offhand remark made by someone with a superiority complex on an internet message board. I AM clean and sober. I take ALL of my medications AS PRESCRIBED by my DOCTOR. My lexapro is for depression - it apparently alters my mood, so should I stop taking that, too, and see if I commit suicide?
    "A ship in port is safe but that's not what ships are built for."

Crisroc1ny is offline New Member

I just started on Suboxone maintenance January 29th 2016 and this thread was written in 2011 so i doubt subs are going anywhere anytime soon. Subs (bup) been around since the 1970' and was approved in the 1990's. This drug shows results just as methadone did and been here for so long ..

Crisroc1ny is offline New Member

Opps sorry i made a mistake. Im speaking on Suboxone and u talking about subutex but just as im on Suboxone i had a few tex this month as well so it seems it aint goin anywhere either.

solaranoir is offline New Member

Default Subutex

Hi, Ive heard the reason subutex is harder to get is, the FDA has reclassified it. Ive never had addiction issues, bt my insurance would no longer cover it, due to FDA ruling. Ive been a chronic pain patient for 17 yrs & taken subutex for 9 yrs, bc there were no docs in my area, who would subscribe the dosage I got from the pain clinic, faraway, so I went to subutex. It worked very well, bt now, I too am out in the cold. I doubt my doc would lie & say Im an addict, when Im not, nt Im pretty sure, its how the doctor writes it up, Im almost positive. Ive been reading up on it & Ive read nothing about it not being available. Best of luck to you

nbarton87 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Denny_D View Post
    SWIM ..... On the forum you are not considered to be clean while taking Subs. You may have stopped taking your other drug of choice, but you're still taking opiates. Sorry to have to be the one to tell you this and I mean no disrespect to you.:)
    And why is this? MAT is not substituting one drug for another and is an FDA approved treatment for opiate addiction. Suboxone is not a full agonist opiate and does not provide the "High" of opiates but does treat the cravings for those trying to get off >>>>>> and other opiates. This type of "no disrespect-but you aren't clean" is what prevents those who are seeking treatment in NA/AA and other sober support groups who believe in "abstinence based theory" is the only way in which to "get clean" are not educated in harm reduction methods or how to deal with dual diagnosis patients. I've been working in this field for decades and the discrimination against addicts within their own population is high for those who use MAT to stay away from illicit substances and is coupled with the stigma and discrimination they get with the general population who don't understand addiction.

Nicholas Barton MA, LCDC

callmedonna is offline New Member

I want more than anything for the Talons of methadone to release me. Let me have a life...a real one. 52 yrs old and I cannot continue this way ...To be able to go back to work and have insurance and an income and take care of myself again,That is all I want to get away from Methadone and be able to get on suboxone. That would be FREEDOM

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by callmedonna View Post
    I want more than anything for the Talons of methadone to release me. Let me have a life...a real one. 52 yrs old and I cannot continue this way ...To be able to go back to work and have insurance and an income and take care of myself again,That is all I want to get away from Methadone and be able to get on suboxone. That would be FREEDOM

Donna, if you check back in and see this post then you'll want to start your very own thread in the "Need To Talk" forum, not in this forum! In your thread you'll want to tell us your complete history with methadone, how long have you been on it, how much per day, etc...? There are folks here that can help you get off the methadone and the best way to do that is to get your dose down to 30mg or less a day and then make the switch to suboxone or subutex? Subs are much easier to taper off than methadone! Get your thread started and we'll go from there? God bless us all!Donna, if you check back in and see this post then you'll want to start your very own thread in the "Need To Talk" forum, not in this forum! In your thread you'll want to tell us your complete history with methadone, how long have you been on it, how much per day, etc...? There are folks here that can help you get off the methadone and the best way to do that is to get your dose down to 30mg or less a day and then make the switch to suboxone or subutex? Subs are much easier to taper off than methadone! Get your thread started and we'll go from there? God bless us all!