Effexor and Alcohol
    filn is offline New Member

Exclamation Effexor and Alcohol

Although this information has been posted in the past, I think it is important to keep information on this mix available.

From my experiences, especially recently, Effexor and and alcohol do not mix. I have noticed in myself, and heard from others, that the effects of alcohol and its intensity change dramatically while on Effexor.

I have been on effexor for about 4 years now and really never drink. Every once and awhile I would go out and have a few drinks with coworkers or friends every 4-5 months, the latest being a few evenings ago. I came to a harsh conlusion that while I have been on effexor, the effects of drinking have changed from when I never was on this medication.

I have experienced a high desire to drink more and getting very drunk in a very short amount of time with few drinks. I never become buzzed or tipsy anymore. I realized the other night that after 2 beers, I was completely smashed. I know that through the night I had, at most, 6 beers. Normally, I would be somewhat tipsy and maybe slightly "drunk" were I not on effexor. But, this amount of alcohol caused me to vomit violently and have long periods of blackouts and memory loss from the evening.

It turns out, the effects of a couple of beers while taking effexor are the same as if I were on an all day drinking binge were I not to be taking it.

Has anyone else had these experiences? Got any good stories how you found out to not mix the two?

~Filn

eEugene is offline New Member

In Special precautions this medicine it is written " Use alcohol cautiously. Alcohol may increase drowsiness, dizziness, and confusion ".

filn is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by eEugene View Post
    In Special precautions this medicine it is written " Use alcohol cautiously. Alcohol may increase drowsiness, dizziness, and confusion ".
    It is now and has been for a little while, but it has not always been that way. Anyway, the effects stated hardly reflect the true nature of what happens.

birdbrained is offline New Member

Red face Late Response: Effexor and Alcohol

I've been on Effexor XR for almost 5 yrs. now and must admit that I've had a few bouts with alcohol intoxication. I am a light drinker; maybe three or four times a year and those times are usually at social functions. When I do drink, I like to at least feel a little tipsy, but since I've been on my meds my tolerance seems to be elevated so that I cannot feel 'slightly' intoxicated. I usually get bored, lose my taste for the alcohol, or get concerned about over consuming before I even get buzzed. There are times when I just keep drinking to see how long it takes before I do feel something(bipolar mixed episode) and usually it's somewhere around 8 mixed drinks or 12 beers! I feel like an alcoholic! I must add that I also take Trazadone, Klonopine, Topamax, Synthroid, Lyrica, and occasionally Percocet for breakthrough pain that the Lyrica doesn't catch(chronic pain patient).

AuroraMint is offline New Member

Default I'm definitely staying clear of alcohol after last night

Last night I was visiting friends in a different city. We had dinner; perhaps I didn't eat enough, because the food was not great. Then we go to the Daiquiri shop and get their 2 for $12 Large size deal. I get two flavors mixed, Octane 190 (which for those of you that don't know, it's 190 proof, so VERY strong) mixed with Hypnotic Chill (another very strong one). I realize that for most people, that's way too strong already, but before I started taking Effexor and Klonapin, that would have been fine for my tolerance. So, we go back to their place, and we're drinking our drinks. Apparently I'm drinking mine faster than my friends and I'm not feeling anything, so because I'm in need of an escape, my friend fixes me another drink. A concoction him and his wife thought up, Crown Royal Apple and Sierra Mist. The drink is delicious and by now I'm feeling a little warm, so I think, "Oh good, I'm getting a nice buzz going". After telling my friends that I'm getting hot, they're nice enough to point a stand-up fan at me. Then, no more than 10 minutes later, I'm extremely drunk and feeling awful. My friends have brought me a bucket, the fan is now right in front of my face, I couldn't stand up if i wanted to, and my boyfriend has put a bag of ice on my neck. At this point, I feel absolutely horrible, and my stomach is on fire. I legitimately have to hold my pants away from my stomach and I'm in terrible concerning pain. My friends tell me I'm sweating bullets. My head feels so heavy I lay it on the rim of the bucket and then look back up at the fan, trying desperately not to barf. I hate throwing up. They've refreshed my ice bag twice by now and are trying to get me over to the air conditioner, but I can't move because I'll be sick. I can't even turn away from the fan, because when I do, everything's spinning. Once I started feeling a little better and didn't need the bucket anymore, it was time to go home. It was 4am and my boyfriend had an hour and a half long drive to make. Meanwhile, I kept feeling more sick, he got me some fries at the 24hr McDonalds and I slept most of the way back. I only woke up twice; once when he had to get out and barf, because the food didn't set right with him, and once when we got closer to home and he was trying extra hard not to fall asleep at the wheel. We got home and passed out in our bed. It's now the next afternoon and I just woke up with the worst hangover and upset stomach. I'm also exhausted and paranoid. I NEVER want to go through that again!!!!! Consider this a cautionary tale I guess. I will NOT be drinking again on this medicine.

good1 is offline New Member

I was using venlafaxine in the mornings and had alcohol (wine or cocktails) every evening for extended period of time. I now have no alcohol ever. My biggest worry are not even the shameful things that I have done back then but memory losses, lack of decisivnes, lack of ability to think rationally and major depression I am experiencing now. Anybody can share what are their results of abusing alcohol while on this medecine?

good1 is offline New Member

Can you please share more? What really happens long term?