Effexor Withdrawal
    ackeiyword is offline Banned

Default Effexor Withdrawal

I have heard that Effexor is the hardest of the antidepressants to come off of once you are on it. I really don't look forward to being on any medication for the rest of my life, especially for depression. Has anyone out there had any experience coming off and staying off Effexor?

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Quote Originally Posted by ackeiyword View Post
    I have heard that Effexor is the hardest of the antidepressants to come off of once you are on it. I really don't look forward to being on any medication for the rest of my life, especially for depression. Has anyone out there had any experience coming off and staying off Effexor?

I have helped othes get off effexor though I haven't used it myself. It has to be done very slowly and in extremely small increments. I've found the best way is to simply add hours between your doses rather than days.

You can add an hour between dosing times for a week, Then add another hour between doses for another week. It takes times to get off doing like this but it's relatively painless when done like I've described. God bless.

4MeandL is offline New Member

Default My Effexor story

I was on Effexor for a very short amount of time and it made me have horrible headaches. Getting off of it sent me to the emergency room with me begging them to commit me because I thought I was going crazy. The er doc's wife happend to be a psychiatrist and he gave her a call. She confirmed that I was having withdrawl symptoms and was not going crazy. I was experiencing zappy feelings in my head, confusion, slurred speach, histerical crying spells, internal vibration, and itching. I am very sensitive to meds and she did say I was having the more rare side effects but that they were "normal" withdrawl syptoms. They discharged me with more drugs to counteract the side effects.I was better the next day but it took a few weeks for it all to go away. Unfortunately, I have had friends experience the same symptoms when tapering off but not to the same degree. Hope this helps, not trying to scare you away from trying it as everyone is different. Just pay attention to how you are feeling and any changes you may feel.

LadayBrownEyez is offline New Member

Wink

I took Effexor 150 mg for about 7 months and decided to come off the drug cold turkey, not the smartest thing to do. I lost my insurance and couldn't afford to see my psychiatrist or pay for Effexor, at that time there was no generic. I experienced that brain zap feeling (VERY annoying), light headedness and cried profusely for days upon end. I was like a mad woman, my fiance thought I had lost it. I remember walking around in the rain as fast as I could trying to exersize the stuff out of my body!

The most dangerous issue is that Effexor effects your blood pressure, so tapering slowly is really the safest way, done under the care of a physician or nurse. I didn't die from it or have any long lasting maladies from cold turkeying it, but that's not saying someone else won't. I felt those symptoms for about 11 days, and for about three months my moods were very unstable. I really hope you do well and feel better.

dianelap is offline New Member

Default Effexor withdraw

I would be very careful about with drawing from effexor. Talk to your primary doc & watch your BP. I had a heart attack while i was going thru with draw. I had no other factors- no fam history, good lipids, etc. Altho the docs said effexor wasn't the cause, I believe it caused me to have major BP spikes resulting in a vascular spasm which caused a thrombus. During the withdraw I felt completely nuts & my BP went way high, but I figured i could tough it out. I also thought the BP machines at my local drug store were broken because I never had high bP. Even after my release from the hospital I had to take apart the capsules & reduce my dosage by granules. I may have tried to wean myself too quickly. If you do it very very slowly you will probably be ok. I would do it gradually over 1-2 months.

chrisjospeh91 is offline New Member

Default talk to doc

I was taking this med for quite some time a few years ago. I thought that it wasn't doing anything for me and just stopped taking it one day. I was fortunate not to have some of the withdraw effects that some have stated having but it was very very uncomfortable. The worst one for me was this feeling that I could only liken to someone sticking my brain into an electrical socket. It seemed at times like electricity was coursing through my head. After a few weeks it went away and not until recently did I know it was from not taking the med. I would definitely say talk to your doctor and ween off the med if possible.

writersarah is offline New Member

Default Re: Effexor Withdrawal

I had a terrible experience coming off of Effexor. For about three days straight, all I could do was lie in bed and writhe in pain. And I felt somehow "off" in my mind for at least two or three weeks after that. I don't know if my experience was typical, but I do know that I will never let a doctor put me back on Effexor. It was the sickest I have ever been.

Anonymous Guest

Default cold turkey effexor withdrawal experience

I wanted to add to this site on my cold turkey effects of Effexor 75mg. I was on this medication for about one year.
    I also want to say, like the previous post response, I am not going to ever take this drug again and I can only remember feeling as sick as I have been while withdrawing from this drug perhaps one other time in my life.
    I went to this site to see what others were experiencing and found it helpful, so I wanted to return some of the help I feel I others gave in their writing on their withdrawal symptoms from Effexor. Thanks everyone who contributed.
    I quit cold turkey on a Thurs just less than three weeks ago.
    I experienced many of the side effects that others listed: extreme nausea (bad -no vomiting though); off and on some diarrhea; my head had sounds like distant clacking of poles they use in some dances when the poles are clacked on the floor (I was really happy when these stopped as I couldn't imagine having that continue indefinitely - that frightened me a bit - but it did stop within about a week); vertigo (bad); muscle contractions (about a week later, short ones in my sides, arms, legs and feet - the ones in my feet occurred when I was walking into a store in the evening and at first I wasn't sure what was happening so I am glad I read the other posts as I realized what they were- I have had muscle contractions in my feet for about 2 weeks off and on and a few in my legs - these come and go); some small pains here and there and in my eye in which i had lazar surgery about 10 years ago a few small pains (not severe) but enough and localized enough to recognize it was related to the withdrawal); and emotional effects - feeling that I was more awake to things in life but also feeling the impact of being closer to the reality of feeling the truth of situations, both personal and those that impacted the world) - also I have continued feeling swept off balance in terms of frustrations, feelings of anxiety, feeling weepy, and getting emotional out of context, unfortunately sharing a bit of this unbalance at work and with family that I love. I experienced super nauseousness when on the computer.
    I began the withdrawal with the frame of mind that I was going to remain as positive as I could and that my goal was to stop taking this medication. For the first 4-5 days I felt really sick. I had the good fortune that I only work about 3 hours a night from Mon. to Thurs. and that gave me the days to rest and recover. I also decided to leave my decision as to whether I would go to work until an hour or so before I left. I was so nauseated and nausea/vertigo is what I was having the most difficulty with during the worst part of withdrawal in the first days. I was also freezing to the point of shaking a lot of time during the first 5-6 days. I was often freezing and sweating at the same time. I would cover up with many blankets and wear socks and slippers in bed as well as 2-3 pair of winter pajamas. I would cover my head with a blanket too. I would wake up with my pjs soaked with sweat, but I had been so cold. I had to change the sheets a few times to feel clean that first week.
    The first days were the worst. The first day was nothing but from the 2nd to the 5th or 6th day was not good at all. I would say very bad and thought if it got any worse I should go to the hospital.
    Something that really helped was that in the first days of the withdrawal was that I slept as much as I could in order to try to sleep it off until I felt better. Sometimes I just had to lay down - I felt too sick.
    Strangely enough in the few hours I was at worked I was fine, but as soon as I stopped working I began to feel really sick again. I also did not feel that I could work more than the few hours I did a day, as I felt weak and really bad generally.
    I craved different foods that I normally did not crave, and a few times really wanted cold pop or cold sugar drinks like ice tea. I really wanted fresh fruit. Some foods that I would normally have once in a while just nauseated me immediately, even the smell of some foods that did not normally bother me effected me - nauseated me. This passed after about a week.
    Everything has pretty much passed in this third week. I still am not completely adjusted or healed. I still feel overwhelmed by emotions at points and feel anxiety about things but am on the mend. I still feel slightly unhealthy at times but generally I feel good - much better.
    This was a cold turkey withdrawal and I would not recommend cold turkey for someone who was not well to begin with, or maybe not for someone that is older - I am sixty. It is really hard on you but I feel better everyday. I think after about 6 days the symptoms all decreased. Many still came and went but they were milder and periods without feeling sick came as well. It was also great to feel that one is getting the medication out of ones system and that there are signs of recovering - that gave me a lot of encouragement.
    I think that this drug should be taken off of the market. I don't know what is in it but it is not good. I look forward to the week I look back and see that I have felt completely healthy.
    I went through this and unless someone has gone through it, it is really hard for them to know how sick you feel, especially in that first week - at least that was the worst time for me.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 05-10-2015 at 10:53 PM.

Anonymous Guest

I wanted to add to this site on my cold turkey effects of Effexor 75mg. I was on this medication for about one year.
    I also want to say, like the previous post response, I am not going to ever take this drug again and I can only remember feeling as sick as I have been while withdrawing from this drug perhaps one other time in my life.
    I went to this site to see what others were experiencing and found it helpful, so I wanted to return some of the help I feel I others gave in their writing on their withdrawal symptoms from Effexor. Thanks everyone who contributed.
    I quit cold turkey on a Thurs just less than three weeks ago.
    I experienced many of the side effects that others listed: extreme nausea (bad -no vomiting though); off and on some diarrhea; my head had sounds like distant clacking of poles they use in some dances when the poles are clacked on the floor (I was really happy when these stopped as I couldn't imagine having that continue indefinitely - that frightened me a bit - but it did stop within about a week); vertigo (bad); muscle contractions (about a week later, short ones in my sides, arms, legs and feet - the ones in my feet occurred when I was walking into a store in the evening and at first I wasn't sure what was happening so I am glad I read the other posts as I realized what they were- I have had muscle contractions in my feet for about 2 weeks off and on and a few in my legs - these come and go); some small pains here and there and in my eye in which i had lazar surgery about 10 years ago a few small pains (not severe) but enough and localized enough to recognize it was related to the withdrawal); and emotional effects - feeling that I was more awake to things in life but also feeling the impact of being closer to the reality of feeling the truth of situations, both personal and those that impacted the world) - also I have continued feeling swept off balance in terms of frustrations, feelings of anxiety, feeling weepy, and getting emotional out of context, unfortunately sharing a bit of this unbalance at work and with family that I love. I experienced super nauseousness when on the computer.
    I began the withdrawal with the frame of mind that I was going to remain as positive as I could and that my goal was to stop taking this medication. For the first 4-5 days I felt really sick. I had the good fortune that I only work about 3 hours a night from Mon. to Thurs. and that gave me the days to rest and recover. I also decided to leave my decision as to whether I would go to work until an hour or so before I left. I was so nauseated and nausea/vertigo is what I was having the most difficulty with during the worst part of withdrawal in the first days. I was also freezing to the point of shaking a lot of time during the first 5-6 days. I was often freezing and sweating at the same time. I would cover up with many blankets and wear socks and slippers in bed as well as 2-3 pair of winter pajamas. I would cover my head with a blanket too. I would wake up with my pjs soaked with sweat, but I had been so cold. I had to change the sheets a few times to feel clean that first week.
    The first days were the worst. The first day was nothing but from the 2nd to the 5th or 6th day was not good at all. I would say very bad and thought if it got any worse I should go to the hospital.
    Something that really helped was that in the first days of the withdrawal was that I slept as much as I could in order to try to sleep it off until I felt better. Sometimes I just had to lay down - I felt too sick.
    Strangely enough in the few hours I was at worked I was fine, but as soon as I stopped working I began to feel really sick again. I also did not feel that I could work more than the few hours I did a day, as I felt weak and really bad generally.
    I craved different foods that I normally did not crave, and a few times really wanted cold pop or cold sugar drinks like ice tea. I really wanted fresh fruit. Some foods that I would normally have once in a while just nauseated me immediately, even the smell of some foods that did not normally bother me effected me - nauseated me. This passed after about a week.
    Everything has pretty much passed in this third week. I still am not completely adjusted or healed. I still feel overwhelmed by emotions at points and feel anxiety about things but am on the mend. I still feel slightly unhealthy at times but generally I feel good - much better.
    This was a cold turkey withdrawal and I would not recommend cold turkey for someone who was not well to begin with, or maybe not for someone that is older - I am sixty. It is really hard on you but I feel better everyday. I think after about 6 days the symptoms all decreased. Many still came and went but they were milder and periods without feeling sick came as well. It was also great to feel that one is getting the medication out of ones system and that there are signs of recovering - that gave me a lot of encouragement.
    I think that this drug should be taken off of the market. I don't know what is in it but it is not good. I look forward to the week I look back and see that I have felt completely healthy.
    I went through this and unless someone has gone through it, it is really hard for them to know how sick you feel, especially in that first week - at least that was the worst time for me.