Fentanyl Patch dose too high? Starting at 100mcg! Is this normal?
    kdcraig is offline New Member

Exclamation Fentanyl Patch dose too high? Starting at 100mcg! Is this normal?

Hi all,

I am a 39 year old female who has 3 herniated discs, previous c-spine surgery, nerve pain and arthritis. My doctor has me on Vicoprofen, Soma, Lyrica, Cymbalta and 10mg 3x per day. I'm still having a lot of pain, so she has prescribed me Fentanyl Transdermal Patches (100mcg/hour). I've done a little reading about these patches and am scared to start using them. It seems like most people start using them at a much lower dose, around 25mcg. Should I be worried about starting at such a high dose? Any advice about these patches is very much appreciated!! Thanks!

kdcraig is offline New Member

Sorry, that should have been 10mg 3x per day Oxycontin.

kevinb529 is offline New Member

Your Fentanyl dose is pretty high - normal starting dose is 25-50 micrograms or higher, depending upon whether you are tolerant to opiates. You're taking lots of meds that could potentially interact with each other. Most of your meds, Lyrica, Soma, Cymbalta, and OxyContin all produce drowsiness. Also, most of the time, OxyContin is taken only twice per day - every 12 hours. If more pain control is needed, the dose is raised but the dosing schedule remains the same - 12 hours apart.

PoisonAlice is offline New Member

I started out on 100mcg/hr myself, but then again, by that point I was already on enough OxyContin to kill a horse, and it still was too low for me. I started out there from taking something like...80-160mg OxyContin 3 times a day. And to kevin, it IS prescribed occasionally to take every 8 hours instead of every 12 hours, because there are some people out there, such as myself, who metabolize it a bit faster than the average person and it only lasts 8 hours rather than the 12 hours that it's usually prescribed.

kdcraig, how much Vicoprofen are you taking every day? Your doctor might have figured that dosage into the patch dosage he/she prescribed you. I really can't give you too much of an answer, as far as if that's a very high, or low, dose for you until I know the average amount of hydrocodone you take each day. However, considering the OxyContin alone, without the hydrocodone, 100mcg/hr does seem like a very high dose for you to start out with.