Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Randy35
First few days on Suboxone... what to expect?
    kristyk1 is offline New Member

Default First few days on Suboxone... what to expect?

Hi everyone. I wish I didn't have to be here, but I am.

My brother just moved in with us to get himself clean. He's addicted to Vicodin and a very high dose of Xanax. Last weekend, he asked if I could help him find a way to get off these things and then he mentioned that his friend is on Suboxone.

We found a Suboxone treatment facility nearby. Since we live 3 hours from my brother's home, he isn't near any of his old friends or connections. He dropped everything to move here to get help.

On Wed., he went in for the induction. They gave him 1/2 an 8 mg pill and then another half four hours later. My brother said he felt better than he felt since he was a teenager.

He went back again yesterday (Thurs) and they gave him 1 and a half 8 mg pills and told him to take another one later in the day.

My brother didn't fare well on this. He was anxious, fidgety, disconnected. Couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, etc...

So today, the first day he didn't go into the clinic, he's supposed to take 2 pills at one time. He was scared to do this because of the effect 1 and a half pills had on him yesterday. So he took half a pill at 8 am, half at noon, etc...

Now he's a mess. he called the clinic and they upped his dose to 2.5 pills a day.

I guess I don't understand why he felt so good on the first day, when he only took one pill total. It seems like the more he takes, the worse he feels.

Does anyone have any advice? Also, he's not able to sleep at all. He said he just can't rest. This also may be the side effects of no Xanax, right?

I'm so proud of him though. He is really trying to do this. I'm amazed by his strength. I never realized what a stronghold drugs could have on a person until he came clean about what he's done for so many years. We lost a brother last summer to a drug overdose and I don't want to lose another.

Thanks,
    Kristy

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Default Kristy

I'm so sorry to hear about your brother that you lost as well as this current situation. I lost a brother years ago too. I can honestly say that I know how you feel.

He's getting sick the more he takes because the goofy dose keeps increasing and he's reacting to it. He doesn't need so much. This kind of stuff continues to annoy me so badly. Why do professionals keep adding more medication to people when they are obviously reacting adversely?

I don't know if you have read one particular post on this forum or not that you definitely need to read before we get into this deeper. Please go to the following link and then get back to me. I want what I say to make sense and reading this post that I wrote will help clarify some of what I suggest .....

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...apy-50887.html

We will help you guys work this out. Try to relax. It's not too late and I promise that as long as your brother will be naive enough to follow the suggestions (all of them) we will stick this out with him until he's past this and totally drug free.

Let me know what you think after reading the aforementioned link and we will proceed from there. What are the chances of getting your brother on here if we proceed forward together doing this? It would sure make matters much more simple. I understand you are trying to help him, but it would be best if we could get him on here in person. God bless.

Robert,
    Thanks for getting back to me. I have been reading on these forums for a few days and I keep telling my brother to get on here, but his reply is "It's weird to tell my problems to a bunch of people on the Internet." So I will keep working at it and maybe he'll post soon.

I read the link that you gave and will print it out for him. When he came up here this week, he left all of his pills behind, including his Xanax. He was on such a high dose of Xanax that he literally couldn't stay awake for more than a few hours at a time. And this was prescribed by his doctor! So I bet that some of these symptoms he's having is related to stopping Xanax cold turkey.

When we went for the induction appointment, I talked to a young guy in the waiting room. He said he's been on Suboxone for 2 years. When I asked him how long it would be before he's off it, he said, "Why would I want to be off this? My life is good now." My heart just sank. I'm pretty sure my brother wants to get off of drugs completely, not replace one with another .

So since he's on day 3, where should he go from here? He'll probably have to lie to his counselor next week if he's not taking what they told him to take. But maybe he can be done with this in six weeks instead of two years.

Thanks again,
    Kristy

Default Kristy

The first thing that DEFINITELY concerns me is your brother's xanax history. Detox from benzos like xanax, valium, klonopin, etc is dangerous being done cold turkey especially if he was previously on a high dose. Do you know how much he was taking per day? I need you to be accurate. The problem with this detox is the likelihood of seizures. This is not some far off one-in-a-million chance of a problem either. It happens all the time, it happened with me when I detoxed cold turkey off benzos. If he was taking much of a dose for very long he should be taking an anti-convlusant medication such as Depakote, Dilantin, or the equivalent. Believe me you don't want him to have a seizure especially at your home with no medical attention available. He needs to get the proper medication immediately IF he has been abusing xanax like you suggest. How much was he taking?

We really can't go by the standard procedure with the suboxone as he has to get himself at a dose that is comfortable for him. If I understand correctly he is now at 20mg per day. Is that correct? If it is he needs to begin reducing that dose back to an amount that is right for him.

So that you understand and so you can share with him about me, I have been clean for years but before I got clean I was taking thirty 30mg Roxicodone, 25-30 lorcets, 15-20mg of xanax, 6-8mg of klonopin and about 20-25 soma each day. So tell him to relax with me. I've been there right where he is or worse probably. He doesn't have to be embarrassed here. This forum is totally anonymous and the people here are just like him. He should be proud of himself for willingly making the decision to get clean and realize that we all have to start someplace.

When I started on subs it only took 8mg per day for me taking all of the garbage that I just described. I have never inducted anyone with subs that required 20mg. The average person uses 6-8mg at induction. Based on what you described about your brother's experience at the clinic I bet that he would do great at 8mg. You said he felt like a teenager again and that is exactly how he should be feeling every day.

He should not be adding more suboxone to his dose each day. That is obviously not working and I don't understand why they have people do that. If you look at my INDUCTION suggestions from the post you printed after three days at the amount you are inducted at it's recommended that you reduce the dose, not increase it.

The suggestions in that link come from when I went through the detox process with subs. I developed a process for myself that worked to help me be totally drug free including the subs in six weeks. Musicman, who also replies to lots of these suboxone questions, also followed my system along with lots of other people. I'm not a dr, I just wrote out what worked for me. Lots of people have followed the same suggestions for themselves and have been successful. The key to our system here is that we make suggestions based on each individual's symptoms. Everyone is different and most of these clinics just tell everyone to do the exact same thing. That is not what works best for most people.

Tell your brother that he can be relaxed here, have him read some first if he wants. With all due respect to you, it's just so hard to do this going through a third person when I need to know about how he is feeling, specific symptoms, me asking you questions and then you having to get the answers from him. I know that you can see what I am talking about. This is his decision but we have all been in the same place he is in at one time. Take care.

PS ... Get him to take care of the anti-seizure medication for the xanax detox immediately. His prescribing dr from the xanax could call in a script for the meds he needs but this is IMPORTANT. He does NOT need to put this off until next week. It's been three days and it is getting close to the time where it could be a concern. If he can't get any seizure medication until next week then he should take a very SMALL dose of xanax daily through the weekend. When I say a small dose I am talking about .5-1mg one time per day. And that is it! Again I would like to know how much he has been taking to verify that this suggestion is correct. God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    The first thing that DEFINITELY concerns me is your brother's xanax history. Detox from benzos like xanax, valium, klonopin, etc is dangerous being done cold turkey especially if he was previously on a high dose. Do you know how much he was taking per day? I need you to be accurate. The problem with this detox is the likelihood of seizures. This is not some far off one-in-a-million chance of a problem either. It happens all the time, it happened with me when I detoxed cold turkey off benzos. If he was taking much of a dose for very long he should be taking an anti-convlusant medication such as Depakote, Dilantin, or the equivalent. Believe me you don't want him to have a seizure especially at your home with no medical attention available. He needs to get the proper medication immediately IF he has been abusing xanax like you suggest. How much was he taking?

We really can't go by the standard procedure with the suboxone as he has to get himself at a dose that is comfortable for him. If I understand correctly he is now at 20mg per day. Is that correct? If it is he needs to begin reducing that dose back to an amount that is right for him.

So that you understand and so you can share with him about me, I have been clean for years but before I got clean I was taking thirty 30mg Roxicodone, 25-30 lorcets, 15-20mg of xanax, 6-8mg of klonopin and about 20-25 soma each day. So tell him to relax with me. I've been there right where he is or worse probably. He doesn't have to be embarrassed here. This forum is totally anonymous and the people here are just like him. He should be proud of himself for willingly making the decision to get clean and realize that we all have to start someplace.

When I started on subs it only took 8mg per day for me taking all of the garbage that I just described. I have never inducted anyone with subs that required 20mg. The average person uses 6-8mg at induction. Based on what you described about your brother's experience at the clinic I bet that he would do great at 8mg. You said he felt like a teenager again and that is exactly how he should be feeling every day.

He should not be adding more suboxone to his dose each day. That is obviously not working and I don't understand why they have people do that. If you look at my INDUCTION suggestions from the post you printed after three days at the amount you are inducted at it's recommended that you reduce the dose, not increase it.

The suggestions in that link come from when I went through the detox process with subs. I developed a process for myself that worked to help me be totally drug free including the subs in six weeks. Musicman, who also replies to lots of these suboxone questions, also followed my system along with lots of other people. I'm not a dr, I just wrote out what worked for me. Lots of people have followed the same suggestions for themselves and have been successful. The key to our system here is that we make suggestions based on each individual's symptoms. Everyone is different and most of these clinics just tell everyone to do the exact same thing. That is not what works best for most people.

Tell your brother that he can be relaxed here, have him read some first if he wants. With all due respect to you, it's just so hard to do this going through a third person when I need to know about how he is feeling, specific symptoms, me asking you questions and then you having to get the answers from him. I know that you can see what I am talking about. This is his decision but we have all been in the same place he is in at one time. Take care.

PS ... Get him to take care of the anti-seizure medication for the xanax detox immediately. His prescribing dr from the xanax could call in a script for the meds he needs but this is IMPORTANT. He does NOT need to put this off until next week. It's been three days and it is getting close to the time where it could be a concern. If he can't get any seizure medication until next week then he should take a very SMALL dose of xanax daily through the weekend. When I say a small dose I am talking about .5-1mg one time per day. And that is it! Again I would like to know how much he has been taking to verify that this suggestion is correct. God bless.
    Robert,
    Thanks for responding again. I told my brother about your post and your recommendations, but he declined and said he wants to follow what the clinic is telling him since they know his whole history now.

*sigh*

From some of your other posts, I see that you're a Christian. Please say a prayer for my brother. For 10 years I've prayed that he would get off drugs and find the Lord. So far, he's working on one of those things. I pray the other one will happen soon.

-Kristy

Quote Originally Posted by kristyk1 View Post
    Robert,
    Thanks for responding again. I told my brother about your post and your recommendations, but he declined and said he wants to follow what the clinic is telling him since they know his whole history now.

*sigh*

From some of your other posts, I see that you're a Christian. Please say a prayer for my brother. For 10 years I've prayed that he would get off drugs and find the Lord. So far, he's working on one of those things. I pray the other one will happen soon.

-Kristy

You did your best. I will keep you guys in my prayers. God bless.

idiotboy is offline Member

Kristy, you really need to tell your brother to at least get on here and read a lot of the threads with people getting clean using Suboxone, like I currently am.....I've read almost all the threads from the past couple of years on here and I can tell you right now that what Robert says is WAY better than any doctor...especially the one he's seeing right now....

Robert is truly a gift from God, Please Please Please convince your brother to follow Robert's way instead of the clinic....at least get him to read a bunch of these forums over the last year, then maybe he will be convinced!

I'll pray for you and your family!

I just wanted to reply to this real quick...

I believe my brother's Xanax withdrawels are over. He's feeling pretty good now on just the Suboxone. He's acting amazingly different... much different than I've seen him in years. Lots of energy, making jokes, fun to be around, having conversations, etc... The weekend was hard. I think Friday was the worst. I stayed up two nights in a row just listening to him breathe because Robert mentioned the possibility of seizures. I just wanted to make sure he was okay. On Friday, he checked his blood pressure and it was sky high, but by yesterday it was in the normal range. He said he's feeling nothing out of the ordinary.

He's still on 20 mg of Suboxone a day (per the clinic's orders), but today he is trying to only take 16. So far, so good, but it's early in the day still.

I'm still urging him to post here, but he's leary of sharing his problems with the Internet world.

Thanks again,
    Kristy

Kristy ... not to try to make you worry but the concern over the seizures isn't passed. I've seen people have seizures anywhere from 4-5 days into detox and as far along as three weeks or so.

Once he makes it beyond a month I probably wouldn't be overly concerned. I would keep an eye on him during the interim however.

IF the drs at this clinic are aware of his history I am shocked they wouldn't give him something to insure his safety. It's just a standard precaution that medical professionals do for people coming off high doses of benzos. He has told them about the xanax hasn't he??? I wish him the best of luck, have included him in my prayers. God bless.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-19-2009 at 04:37 PM.

Kayla541 is offline New Member

[deleted - breaching forum rules]
    Last edited by Anonymous; 11-30-2014 at 05:07 PM.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Hey Kayla - Robert has been retired from the forum for quite some time, but have no fears because there are many members that have knowledge and success with his plan, and used his sub plan to help get others clean like yourself. We promote Robert's plan every chance we get!

I doubt many will find your post here so you really should begin a new thread in the Suboxone part of the forum. Here's the link to it in case you have trouble finding it -

https://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone-treatment/

Click on the left side where it says "Post New Thread" and go from there. To find it again simply click on your user name until you find your way around.

Sounds like you have a good sub doctor making you wait to induct. So many have no clue about how subs work. When you make the new thread maybe tell us hopw much oxy you have been taking and anything else you care to share that may help us, help you.

Hopefully the doctor won't put you on a crazy high dose of sub. You want to be on the lowest dose that gets you stable and out of withdrawals. Each of us is different, but it shouldn't take you over 8mg to get stable, and probably much less than that.

Make sure to come back here and let us know how the induction went. We can get you through the entire process. The mods will probably delete your email as that isn't allowed here.

Hope to see your new thread and post tomorrow. Ask all the questions you want. We're here for you Kayla!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 11-30-2014 at 05:08 PM.
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.