Gabapentin for back pain
    biagina is offline New Member

Default Gabapentin for back pain

Question- Does this fully work to relieve pain and will I ever be able to drive again?

I started Gabapentin in June while in rehab for intense back pain. Saw a neuro who upped it to 600 mg 3x a day as well as on baclofen 10 mg 3x a day.
    Have arachnoiditis , L1/2 fractured disk and L3 4 bulging. Differing opinions on surgery- also I have an L5 S1 PLIF that failed.
    This is my first full week on this dosage.
    How long to work-does it work to relive pain enough so I can do daily activities >?

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Scroll down and look at the charts:

https://www.drugs.com/pro/gabapentin.html

The trial was for post herpetic pain, and I don't know of any studies with your type of pain, but if these trials are any indication, at a daily dose of 1800 mg you should notice some pain relief after one week and pretty much all you'll get by four weeks. If you fail to get significant relief after four weeks on 1800 mg per day, if it were me, I would go back to the doctor with this information (these charts), and tell him the drug is not working. Furthermore, as you can see in figure 2, if he tried to increase the dose again I would refuse. A dose of 2400 per day is no more effective than 1800 per day.

biagina is offline New Member

Thank you
    I have been on it - Gabapentin- 1 week 4 days and will check those charts. I have some relief and hope more people who are on it will write in. I also a seeking another Md opinion as thetwo neuros I saw want to operateon two diffeent disks. Appreciate the help

Discussed is offline New Member

Get another doctor. Gabapentin is for seizures and nerve pain Like neuropathy. It didn't helpv me but I took full advantage of side effects

Discussed is offline New Member

It's just like Lyrica

isaacs is offline New Member

they gave me gabap at first, I have chronic back pain and both legs pain & burn, it really did not help, they made me wait and wait for pain relief.

without oxycodone and fent I may as well be dead, I still can only stand for about 15 min doing kitchen chores or any chores, I hate all of this

they may send you to a pain clinic, the drs do not want to prescribe pain meds, all these rules just make it hard for patients in chronic pain and they do not care how far away a pain clinic is

Anonymous Guest

I took Gabapentin for a while. It's better than Motrin but don't expect a huge change. It's pain relief is subtle but notable after a week or two. I prefer Lyrica - almost the same thing but it takes a lot less. Again a subtle but noticeable improvement. I take it for neuropathy which opiates never seemed to help.

I guess if I compared either to regular meds it's like an effect of having taken a few Motrin and Tylenol, and maybe some Valium, but it lasts, once built up in my system.

If you get surgery and need pain meds, try not to take them for very long. I got very dependent on them in a short time. Stopping them became more painful than the original condition.