Get off Lexapro the relatively easily way
    Cozzy is offline New Member

Default Get off Lexapro the relatively easily way

I have been on Lexapro for 2 years and 3 months. I tried several times to wean off lexapro very slowly, moderately and cold turkey and what I found is that I had the exact same torturous debilitating withdrawals no matter if I weaned slowly or suddenly stopped. However I have a good news story for all you people who want to get off Lexapro because of unwanted side-effect's or because you are just tired of putting synthethic chemicals into your body and polluting your organs.

If u suddenly stop taking lexapro BUT you replace it the next day with St' Johns Wort there is amazingly little or no withdrawal from the lexapro. It's the most amazing feeling I have had in a long time to finally be free from Lexapro 2 weeks tomorrow. I was afraid I would never get off of it because of the withdrawals, but it seems that St Johns Wort is helping to keep my Serotonin levels similar to Lexapro because I have not had any serotonin withdrawal syndrome. Thanks to St Johns Wort!

Keep the faith and keep smiling

GenRx is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cozzy View Post
    I have been on Lexapro for 2 years and 3 months. I tried several times to wean off lexapro very slowly, moderately and cold turkey and what I found is that I had the exact same torturous debilitating withdrawals no matter if I weaned slowly or suddenly stopped. However I have a good news story for all you people who want to get off Lexapro because of unwanted side-effect's or because you are just tired of putting synthethic chemicals into your body and polluting your organs.

If u suddenly stop taking lexapro BUT you replace it the next day with St' Johns Wort there is amazingly little or no withdrawal from the lexapro. It's the most amazing feeling I have had in a long time to finally be free from Lexapro 2 weeks tomorrow. I was afraid I would never get off of it because of the withdrawals, but it seems that St Johns Wort is helping to keep my Serotonin levels similar to Lexapro because I have not had any serotonin withdrawal syndrome. Thanks to St Johns Wort!

Keep the faith and keep smiling
    What you're doing is basically the same thing opioid users do when they go into maintenance therapy. You're replacing one drug, in this case and SSRI with another SSRI. Once you stop taking the St. John's Wort you'll withdraw from that as well.

rsmbruin is offline New Member

Default What does St. Johns Wart do for you?

Cozzy- I took Lexapro for a year and a half and finally got tired of being dependent when things were starting to level off in my life. If I forgot to take the med for a day I would get what everyone calls the Brain Zaps. I tapered off of it as instructed but after 2-3 days I was miserable with constant heavy brain zaps and fatigue. I read on this or another site that someone had success using bonine and other similar products to help control the brain zaps. I immediately found some dramamine at the house and by the second dose the brain zaps faded in intensity and frequency making the process more bearable. It's been 9 days without the drug and I'm still reminded of the withdrawal whenever I wait to long to take another dramamine, but I guess my long winded question is what specific side affects does St. Johns Wart work against.

I was terrified when the side affects kicked in and felt out of control. I began to panic a bit after reading this and similar sites about some of the awful experiences many people are experiencing. Thanks to all who share their experiences because that one tip has made this really bad experience so much more bearable.
    RSMBRUIN

Cozzy is offline New Member

I found that the SJW almost completely stopped the brain zaps. It also stopped any major feelings of depression and it definitely stopped my panic attacks. All in all it was not an easy transition from lexapro to SJW but it was "relatively" easy as I said before, much eaiser than any other way I tired to cut down or quit lexapro in the past. Its about 6 weeks now of being lexapro free and not one panic attack, though I must admit that I have given up alcohol too because I found the depresion the next day too much to handle after even just few drinks. I'm taking valerian to help me sleep everynight, This wont work straight away, the valerian herb will need a week of taking it once a day to build in your system. In clinical studies it never worked if taken sporadically, but it has been shown to work as a sleep/anxiety aid with a cumulative effect. And I am one who was taking xanax for nearly two years with lexapro. Now I just take SJW and valerian, and I am functioning well in work, and I sleep well generally too. I am refreshed aftre just 6 hours sleep. i often slept 10 hours on xanax and felt lethargic the next day. I never believed herbs could work for my severe disorders like panic disorder, and i always had depression since I was 12 but hey They are doing the trick now.

Goodluck and thumba up for self-empowerment!

Mike