Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Slashem
Going from Methadone to Suboxone tomorrow
    Slashem is offline New Member

Default Going from Methadone to Suboxone tomorrow

Third week on Methadone, and was tapering 2mg from 38 to 36. Seen a doctor last Friday, and this doctor asked why I want to taper so quickly. I told him I was doing fine on the current dose, so I wanted to go down 2, and see if that worked out. I currently have to go in twice a week anyways, so worse case I bump it back up, so why not start to try and taper a little bit?

Anyways, the Doctor asked if I thought about Suboxone. He said that he could give me carries faster this way, but it was totally up to me. Oh, and that I would have to skip my Sunday dose of Methadone (todays).

Anyways, I'm going to give it a try. I see the doctor tomorrow at 9am. He said it will take around 2-3 hours. Apparently, he will give me a small amount, then 40min a bit more (if needed), etc.

Any advice before going in? From what I've read here thus far, many people make the mistake of trying to take too much in the beginning. I've read the term "Less is more" with Sub fairly often on this site.

Thanks for any advice. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-15-2015 at 06:13 PM. Reason: spelling

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Please make sure your dr uses the COWS scale .
    Clinical opiate withdrawal Scale.
    It is a way to evaluate your withdrawal symptoms by rateing them with a number..
    Sub is so powerful it will knock any opiate methadone included off of your receptors all at once..
    You will be put into precipitaded withdrawals in about 1 minute..
    I have been there 3 times by not using the COWS..
    Not a pretty site..
    Time is not the issue when inducing you want to be at least 26 on the scale ..
    There is a copy on the sticky at the top of the suboxone treatment board on here..
    Many drs have never done this induction themselves so what they know was from a book..
    Definetly not the same..
    I induced to sub from methadone 10 months ago
    And
    Now sub free 44 days ago ..
    I have never looked back ..
    Getting off methadone was the best decision I have ever made..

It will take a few days to get stable ..
    Sub is a different drug than all other opiates..
    I didn't get high from it ..
    So It was easier to taper..

Others who have done the same will chime in to help you ..
    We will help you all the way..
    It can be done ..
    Check out the sticky ..

How are you feeling today?
    The idea is to get to the worst place the fastest meaning the methadone is out of your system.
    Don't take any comfort meds so you can honestly see where you are at..
    I will be back later
    Iluv2
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-15-2015 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Typo

I'm feeling the start of W/D's. The runny nose, etc. I still have 12 1/2 hours before I'm at the clinic, so hopefully that will be enough. This clinic specializes in the addiction area, so I have to assume they know what they're doing.

My only concern is going just the one day without, considering I was on Methadone. I've here that 30 is recommended before switching, and that 2 or 3 days without is preferred, so I'm freaked out a bit that I'll have to endure some massive W/D tomorrow morning.

I'll guess I'll wait and see. I'll let you know how things go. Thanks for the reply and information.

Best Regards,
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Slashem,

Please don't let them give you Suboxone unless you're in withdrawal. Using the COWS scale is absolutely necessary to prevent precipitated wirhdrawal (which is way worse than regular WD). Reaching a score of at least 26 will ensure that doesn't happen. A lot of Sub doctors/clinics don't know or simply don't care. It happened to me, and I can tell you it was a horrific experience.

Hope to hear from you soon.
    Kat

Thanks Kat.

Ok, I'm back. The doc did the COWS scale thing, and I was at 21, which he said was fine. He gave me 2mg, and said come back in an hour. Came back in an hour feeling only slightly better, so he gave me 4mg more, and said come back in a hour. Came back in an hour was was not too bad. I told him I wasn't 100%, but could probably get by ok at this does. He said he wanted me to feel decent, so gave me 2mg more (which finished the 8mg pill) and said come an see me tomorrow morning, unless I still did not feel that great, in which case he was there until 6pm tonight, so I could go see him again should I feel the need.

I think I'm ok now. It's been almost an hour since the final 2mg and I"m feeling ok. Nose is still a little runny, but I'm not feeling any other W/D systems thus far, so I'm probably ok at 8mg.

So I guess the Precipitated Withdraw depends a little on the person as well. It was around 45 hours since my last dose, but take 24hrs away, since that dose should last at least 24 hrs, so 21 hours of W/D really, and I was at 36mL, which is higher than they recommended 30mL. I was also at 21 on the COWS scale rather than the 26 recommended, and I didn't suffer any (thank the Lord). I was a bit scared about that.

Anyways, I go back and see him again tomorrow morning, so hopefully this will be a smooth transition.

-Slash

Default Typo

Yes it definetly depends on the person.
    I jumped from 150mg
    And didn't use the COWS but was also inpatient ..

Having put myself in precipitaded withdrawals I would not recommend only listening to the addiction specializt.
    They read some literature and are now experts..

I have seen them do it here many times..

But the good news is you are ok..

Sub will not be the same feeling as methadone..
    It is a partial agonist and a very different drug..
    Is his plan to keep you at 8 mg?

It may take a few days to stabilize..
    I will check back later.
    Please drink a lot of water sub can dehydrate you and the switch from methadone is a transition for the body.

When counting hours from last dose we don't factor in the half life in the actual hours off.
    because like you said it depends on the metabolism of the person.

So 45 hrs since last dose and coming off of a low dose for < a month ..
    You will do great..
    Are you planning on tapering off sub?

Take care
    Iluv2
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-16-2015 at 12:19 PM.

I went back to the clinic yesterday evening to see the doctor again (just before they closed) since I was still not feeling right. He gave me another 4mg (half of an 8mg) and then cut the other half pill into 2 2mg pieces to take with me, should I need them, and to bring back what I didn't use, so we could find out what works.

I waited 3 more hours then took 2mg, and that seemed fine. I still didn't seem right, but I wasn't sick, and this is a new drug, so I'm not sure how to expect to feel on it. Plus it was getting close to bed time anyways.

I went in this morning feeling pretty good, but different. My nose seem to run a lot, and I get hot flashes of all things (weird). Anyways, he set me up on a weeks supply of 14mg/day. This day is almost at an end and I still feel kind of weird on this stuff. It's only day two, but so far it does not satisfy me the way that Methadone did. It takes away any cravings, but I'm not feeling contented, if that makes any sense.

It's still early though. I'll give it another week or so, but I don't think I want to go through the trouble of switching back. Hopefully things will settle down once my body gets use to this new stuff.

And yes, I will absolutely be tapering. I was tapering already on the methadone which is part of the reason the Doctor thought it might be better switching to Suboxone. I want off this asap. I only need this stuff to avoid the W/D affects. I have no intentions of long term use.

-Slash

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slashem View Post
    I went back to the clinic yesterday evening to see the doctor again (just before they closed) since I was still not feeling right. He gave me another 4mg (half of an 8mg) and then cut the other half pill into 2 2mg pieces to take with me, should I need them, and to bring back what I didn't use, so we could find out what works.

I waited 3 more hours then took 2mg, and that seemed fine. I still didn't seem right, but I wasn't sick, and this is a new drug, so I'm not sure how to expect to feel on it. Plus it was getting close to bed time anyways.

I went in this morning feeling pretty good, but different. My nose seem to run a lot, and I get hot flashes of all things (weird). Anyways, he set me up on a weeks supply of 14mg/day. This day is almost at an end and I still feel kind of weird on this stuff. It's only day two, but so far it does not satisfy me the way that Methadone did. It takes away any cravings, but I'm not feeling contented, if that makes any sense.

It's still early though. I'll give it another week or so, but I don't think I want to go through the trouble of switching back. Hopefully things will settle down once my body gets use to this new stuff.

And yes, I will absolutely be tapering. I was tapering already on the methadone which is part of the reason the Doctor thought it might be better switching to Suboxone. I want off this asap. I only need this stuff to avoid the W/D affects. I have no intentions of long term use.

-Slash
    Wow, 14mg is quite the high dose. It's almost impossible to still be in WD after taking that amount of Sub. Remember, it's about 30x stronger than Morphine. Doctors never mention that part. My guess is your body is trying to adjust. Sub can actually cause sweating, so that may be why you're having hot flashes. I had the sweats on Sub, too (yuck, lots of showers during those days, lol!).

I urge you not to take any more. What you've taken is a big dose. I know it doesn't seem like it, but it is. A lot of people need several days (or more) for their bodies to adjust. I really hope you can get to tapering soon. The sooner you lower your dose, the better.

Don't forget to drink lots of water. Sub tends to dehydrate and cause headaches. Talk to you soon.

Kat

I am glad you are hanging in there..
    I know exactly what you meant when you said not feeling content on sub..
    It is because it's a partial agonist..
    You will never feel that warm kind feeling you get from methadone they why it is so much easier to taper.

You can start tapering as soon as you are stable.
    It may take 3-4 days to feel stable..
    I will talk to you tomorrow.
    Take care
    Iluv2
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-18-2015 at 01:32 AM.

Well, I see the Doctor again next Monday. I'm feeling a little more stable today. It's almost noon and I have yet to go in for my dose. I'm not sure I'm permitted to taper on my own, the doses are done daily and witnessed by the pharmacy. I don't think I can just take 75% and send the rest back, but I can ask the pharmacist until I get to the doctor on Monday.

I do have to submit a urine test Thursday, so if I'm feeling good then, I'm sure I can slip in and ask to be tapered a bit. I'll just have to play it by ear, and see how I feel.

I don't know if size has anything to do with dose, but I'm a big guy, 6'3 250lbs. From what I've read here, so long as I taper fairly quickly the induction dose shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Thanks for the advise and stuff everyone. I appreciate it.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-18-2015 at 10:35 AM.