Has anyone used Butrans? (buprenorphine)
    Solonne is offline Member

Question Has anyone used Butrans? (buprenorphine)

Hello, everyone!

It's been a long time since I posted on this site so I'll try and give some background. I have an autoimmune disease which causes a lot of pain. I had been on 10/325 Norco 5x daily for 7 years. I had resisted being put on Oxy or Fentanyl even though they are longer acting because I was worried about becoming addicted.

Anyway, to make a long story shorter, I quit taking the Norco CT and have remained opiate free for several years now.

It seems I've run out of options for controlling the pain and my quality of life has degraded to the point where I have to do something or risk losing my job. I went to a PM doctor and he wants to put me on Butrans (buprenorphine) transdermal patches.

Has anyone tried this medication and has it been effective for you? It's quite expensive! They did give me a rebate card but it's still going to cost me 3x what normal meds cost me. I would like to hear from anyone who has tried this medication for moderate to severe pain. I would appreciate anyone giving me any insight into how effective this drugs is, what side effects you experienced, or any other comments you may have. Waiting for some feedback before I fill the Rx.

Love & light ~ Solo

Problem child is offline New Member

Default Butrans

I am actually on it now. I haven't had much success with it but then to I havent had much success with any pain meds. I have tried everything from injections, to creams, and pills.. I have heard good things about it thats why I decided to try it. I hope it works better for you than it did for me.

Thanks for the reply! How long have you been taking it and what is your dosage?

Problem child is offline New Member

I've been on it for 2 months now taking 10mcg.

Katwontlisten is offline Junior Member

Omg I had the worse experience of my life with the Butrans patch. My Dr had me on 6 10/325 norco and 3 30mg ms contin a day. Then he wanted me to try this relatively new product. He did not warn me to stop the narcotic pain pills ahead of time so the bup in the patch threw me into a horrible case of precipitated withdrawls ever. I would have chose death had that been an option. It took ripping off the patch and a fat shot of Dilaudid in the ER to even get somewhat out of that misery. I heard this patch has helped many but I have also heard negative things. Please beware of this patch if you are on other narcotic pain relief!!!

Thanks, everyone! I think I might need to talk to the pain doc before trying this.