Have You had SEVERE Muscle Spasms from Use of Trazodone?
    TwoDimes is offline New Member

Default Have You had SEVERE Muscle Spasms from Use of Trazodone?

I am trying to discern which medication that I am using may be causing me to have SEVERE muscle pain, cramping, and spasm.

I am using 300mgs of Trazodone per day. I have read where it can cause muscle pain. I have SEVERE pain in my lower back and buttock, (with diagnosis of bulging disc and sacroilliitis). I also use 1.5mgs of Clonazepam per day.

Recently, I increased my intake of Trazodone to 450mgs per day. Curiously, it helps to reduce my muscle pain after ingesting it; however, after waking up, I am in CRITICAL pain.

I certainly would like to hear from those who have experienced severe pain from the used of Trazodone.

Thank you!

Two Dimes

hendrix992 is offline New Member

Default Trazodone cause muscle spasm and mid/low/upper back pain

I assuming the OP has moved on since it has been forever with no responses, BUT I wanted to share my experience and was curious if anyone else had the same.

Background:
    I have a bulged disc in t7 / t8 (middle back). I've had this for 2 years and my pain is generally ignorable (i've learned to cope) and my pain level on average is probably 2-3 24/7. If i put heavy weight on my shoulders it will irritate it and my muscles in mid/upper back will lock up for a day or two and pain increases to about a 4-5 (sharp pain if i move swiftly or arche back etc.), but then itll go away and go back to the standard pain.

I'm schedule for an epidural so hope that goes well.

NOW TO MY ANSWER!..... I have trouble sleeping because of insomnia and sometimes cuz of back pain, so I NORMALLY take ambien (10mg). Puts me to sleep comfortably and as long as I have 6-7 hours.. wake up totally refreshed no groggiyness.

I am staying with a friend and they use trazodone for sleep. I thought I would try. I took a 50mg (one pill). It helped me sleep and I feel asleep a little slower than when using ambien, but once I was asleep I did not wake up throughout the night (usually I toss and turn). When i woke up I was a bit groggy.. BUT WAS TOTALLY LOCKED UP!

My back was extremely tight and now it seems my pain symptoms have flared up. Muscles spasms are present and sharp pain in the vertebrea joints when I move at a normal speed (bend over, but not like a grandpa).

ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS HAPPEN? TRAZODONE Actually creates pain the next day??? It seemed to help 25 minutes after taking, I didnt feel as much as my normal 2-3 pain. BUT IN THE MORNING! YIKES! THE PAIN WOKE ME UP!

Thanks. I never reply to these things, but I have tried to see if anyone else has had this issue and only about 5-6 people have spoken up.

THANKS! BE WELL!

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix992 View Post
    I assuming the OP has moved on since it has been forever with no responses, BUT I wanted to share my experience and was curious if anyone else had the same.

Background:
    I have a bulged disc in t7 / t8 (middle back). I've had this for 2 years and my pain is generally ignorable (i've learned to cope) and my pain level on average is probably 2-3 24/7. If i put heavy weight on my shoulders it will irritate it and my muscles in mid/upper back will lock up for a day or two and pain increases to about a 4-5 (sharp pain if i move swiftly or arche back etc.), but then itll go away and go back to the standard pain.

I'm schedule for an epidural so hope that goes well.

NOW TO MY ANSWER!..... I have trouble sleeping because of insomnia and sometimes cuz of back pain, so I NORMALLY take ambien (10mg). Puts me to sleep comfortably and as long as I have 6-7 hours.. wake up totally refreshed no groggiyness.

I am staying with a friend and they use trazodone for sleep. I thought I would try. I took a 50mg (one pill). It helped me sleep and I feel asleep a little slower than when using ambien, but once I was asleep I did not wake up throughout the night (usually I toss and turn). When i woke up I was a bit groggy.. BUT WAS TOTALLY LOCKED UP!

My back was extremely tight and now it seems my pain symptoms have flared up. Muscles spasms are present and sharp pain in the vertebrea joints when I move at a normal speed (bend over, but not like a grandpa).

ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS HAPPEN? TRAZODONE Actually creates pain the next day??? It seemed to help 25 minutes after taking, I didnt feel as much as my normal 2-3 pain. BUT IN THE MORNING! YIKES! THE PAIN WOKE ME UP!

Thanks. I never reply to these things, but I have tried to see if anyone else has had this issue and only about 5-6 people have spoken up.

THANKS! BE WELL!
    Yes i have taken Trazodone50 mg for a few months and i did experience pain..in my chest as well as i had headaches, i consulted my doctor about it and he has put me on Cymbalta now.

So far so good is offline New Member

Default Yes

Trazodone makes my husband full on kick in his sleep, repetitively every few minutes. This happens that I notice around once a week. Dr. said it isn't happening enough to take him off of it and that he has never heard of that affect but it is the only thing different he takes. He has no pain the day after so I really suffer because I can't sleep thru his kicking. He's been doing it for
    2 years, hasn't resulted in any other issues.

faith2122 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by TwoDimes View Post
    I am trying to discern which medication that I am using may be causing me to have SEVERE muscle pain, cramping, and spasm.

I am using 300mgs of Trazodone per day. I have read where it can cause muscle pain. I have SEVERE pain in my lower back and buttock, (with diagnosis of bulging disc and sacroilliitis). I also use 1.5mgs of Clonazepam per day.

Recently, I increased my intake of Trazodone to 450mgs per day. Curiously, it helps to reduce my muscle pain after ingesting it; however, after waking up, I am in CRITICAL pain.

I certainly would like to hear from those who have experienced severe pain from the used of Trazodone.

Thank you!

Two Dimes
    Hi, I'm expieriencing the same thing. Its been quite a few years since you've posted but if the pain has subsided, how long did the spasms last?