Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Thisweekforsure
  • 1 Post By Thisweekforsure
  • 2 Post By Randy35
I have been taking zyprexa for 9 years.How to cut it off correctly?
    JaSoN_TiGeR is offline New Member

Default I have been taking zyprexa for 9 years.How to cut it off correctly?

Hello my name is Jason i m 33 years old and i m from Greece.And i want to ask here to have an idea before to go to my psychiatric doctor next week.The question is: I have been taking zyprexa for 9 years.I was taking all those years 10mg/day .Now the last 2 months i m taking 5 mg/day.And if decide to stop it,how can i cut it off correctly? Can you make me a schedule with lower doses ?And how many months it will need it to safe stop it completely?

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

It's unlikely anyone will respond with a schedule for tapering off this drug. Depending on why you are on it, your psychiatrist might want to replace it with another drug and they will have to guide you in how to switch over. I do understand there are side effects that you might be finding unacceptable. If it were me, I would tell my psychiatrist that I want to either stop the drug and have a trial period with no drug to see how I do, or switch to a different class of drug that does not have the negative side effect. In no case would I stop this drug on my own or stop it suddenly without the doctor's guidance. It should probably be tapered very slowly.
    JaSoN_TiGeR likes this.

Yes.I would never stop it suddenly. This is what i mean.I would like to make me a schedule to stop it with tapered very slowly with the fact i m taking in it 9 years now (on 10 mg/day)

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Well you have the right idea. I have no experience with that drug, but other drugs I have tapered, I had to devise my own schedule. If the drug did not come in smaller doses I would have to divide the pill or capsule and only remove a tiny bit at a time. A good rule is to let your symptoms be your guide. If you feel very bad after making a cut then it was too big a cut. Sorry I can't give you any more specific information.
    JaSoN_TiGeR likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thisweekforsure View Post
    Well you have the right idea. I have no experience with that drug, but other drugs I have tapered, I had to devise my own schedule. If the drug did not come in smaller doses I would have to divide the pill or capsule and only remove a tiny bit at a time. A good rule is to let your symptoms be your guide. If you feel very bad after making a cut then it was too big a cut. Sorry I can't give you any more specific information.
    No, don't feel sorry .I get it.Thank you very much for your answers

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JaSoN_TiGeR View Post
    Yes.I would never stop it suddenly. This is what i mean.I would like to make me a schedule to stop it with tapered very slowly with the fact i m taking in it 9 years now (on 10 mg/day)

Hi Jason,

You may be able to taper the Zyprexa similar to what we suggest for tapering benzo's. Slow and steady. And no more than 5-10% dose reductions every 4-7 days. The slower the better to avoid symptoms. Seeing as you've been taking this drug for 9 years you probably should stick to 5% reductions every week, perhaps a bit longer. That would seem reasonable to me.

If you have 5mg capsules you can do as Thisweekforsure suggested and take a little out of each one and follow the schedule above. If they are pills you can probably cut them in half at least to get 2 pieces of 2.5mg each. Then you could use the crushing method by using the back of a spoon and crush one of those 2.5mg pieces, or the entire 5mg pill into as fine a powder as you can get. Then separate into equal piles. You can get any dose needed using this method. Place the correct dose on a business card and pour into your mouth. Not as difficult as it may sound.

Just my thoughts and suggestions. Good luck!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Randy35 View Post
    Hi Jason,

You may be able to taper the Zyprexa similar to what we suggest for tapering benzo's. Slow and steady. And no more than 5-10% dose reductions every 4-7 days. The slower the better to avoid symptoms. Seeing as you've been taking this drug for 9 years you probably should stick to 5% reductions every week, perhaps a bit longer. That would seem reasonable to me.

If you have 5mg capsules you can do as Thisweekforsure suggested and take a little out of each one and follow the schedule above. If they are pills you can probably cut them in half at least to get 2 pieces of 2.5mg each. Then you could use the crushing method by using the back of a spoon and crush one of those 2.5mg pieces, or the entire 5mg pill into as fine a powder as you can get. Then separate into equal piles. You can get any dose needed using this method. Place the correct dose on a business card and pour into your mouth. Not as difficult as it may sound.

Just my thoughts and suggestions. Good luck!

Randy
    Thank you very much Randy!