I need to get off of Effexor XR. Help!
    Juliana727 is offline New Member

Exclamation I need to get off of Effexor XR. Help!

Hi Everyone!

I know this has probably been asked before but I thought I would start a new thread because I haven't seen a recent one.

I have been taking Effexor XR 150 mg for 14 years. I also have been abusing laxatives for 23 years. I have been very sick for 2 months, and today I had an endoscopy. I have a paralyzed stomach from the laxative abuse.

They put me on Metoclopramide HCL 5mg/5ml. I haven't taken it yet because I can't take it with Effexor. If I don't take it,(Meto) or if it doesn't work, I am looking at a feeding tube for the rest of my life.

I am a young 54, single, no boyfriend, and fairly attractive. I am hoping to get married one day, or at least date, but the feeding tube would be a turn off to men...I am assuming. Plus, I don't want to be on a feeding tube. I love food. Hence the eating disorder.

So, how do I safely, and somewhat swiftly, wean off of the Effexor XR as not to have horrible withdrawals. I have some 75 mg from a few years back, and I could ask my psych Dr to prescribe a different dosage, say 125mg, 100, mg, but I want to hear from you all what worked for you. I have tried to stop previously cold turkey, but I will never subject myself to that torture again.

Thanks so much in advance, and may you find peace in your life without any drugs or alcohol. Or laxatives.

IndigenousRX is offline New Member

So what happened. Its taken me a few months of heck to get from 300mg after 14 years to 75 currently.

Juliana727 is offline New Member

I am on 225 mg of Effexor. I am planning to start going down 25 mg at a time next week or the week after. I just got off of buproprian. My mom passed and I was a mess, so they upped it to 225 mg. Didn't help except for maybe 2 weeks. I am only on 2 laxatives a day though. Gained 100 pounds over the past 2 years though. The Drs took another test and I don't have paralyzed stomach.
    How did you wean yourself off? Do you think 25 mg is too much to go down at a time? What withdrawal symptoms did you have? I heard Vitamin C and Fish Oil is good for brain zaps. Thankyou and congratulations! You are almost off. I want to go back to Paxil but have to get off Effexor first. Seratonin Syndrome. Did you go on something else? Thanks!