Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Anonymous
  • 1 Post By disabledleo
If you have used Cymbalta.. please share!
    indigo415 is offline Member

Default If you have used Cymbalta.. please share!

Hello, thank you for reading!

I was just put on Cymbalta 3 days ago. Since then I read a lot about people getting brain zaps when coming off of it. I talked to the pharmacist today about it and he told me that it doesn't happen if you wean off, but it does if you just stop taking it cold turkey. Is this true? I really won't mentally be able to deal with months of something like that, especially since I have headaches everyday anyway. Even without headaches, I know that would make me lose what's left of my mind. So hearing this has me wanting personal experiences of what Cymbalta has done for you. Did it help you with your depression and/or anxiety?. I want to know all of the good and the bad now, before I put a lot of this in my body. Thank you very much!

RandiDavis34 is offline New Member

Default Cymbalta Response

I did take it for two weeks and was so sick, I couldn't take it anymore. Flu like symptoms. and when I came off, I didn't have have brain zaps, but was in the bed for two days with flu like symptoms. And I did taper off with a doctor.

Anonymous Guest

My friend takes it and if she forgets to pick it up and runs out her face goes numb and she just falls apart...try and find some a/d threads on here you might get some more info...
    I'm not a good person to ask for this I hate a/d...it is just one more pill the doctors can get you addicted to...
    Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide
    Melinda
    disabledleo likes this.

OverUnderAndThrough is offline New Member

@indigo415

I'm here to put an end to the fear-mongering. I used Cymbalta and it helped with my depression. When I stopped using it, I slowing weaned off by decreasing the dose gradually. I experienced no withdrawal symptoms.

Remember, everyone reacts differently to a given medication, so you can't take the advice of a couple people. You won't know how the drug is going to affect you until you actually try it yourself.

You should be under the supervision of a psychiatrist; do not attempt to self-medicate. If you are taking Cymbalta, do not suddenly stop taking it or you may experience withdrawal symptoms. If you have to stop taking it, you must slowing decrease the dosage by a small amount every few days or so.

Bottom line: this drug may be of great help to you. Don't let people scare you into not trying it because of the horror stories you hear or read about on the internet.

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

Of course, everyone reacts differently to every single medicine but a person should have all the facts, realizing that each post is just that person's experience.

Having said that, I once was put on Cymbalta as an antidepressant and it didn't do a thing for me, good or bad. I just stopped after a couple of weeks with no ill effect. However, my husband has severe nerve pain from neuropathy in his feet. He was put on Gabapentin which wasn't working well enough so they added Cymbalta to the mix. The side effects were SO severe that he had to stop taking it and they then increased the gabapentin. The side effects include SEVERE anxiety and nervousness and an all around weird body feeling. I read an article recently in Time or Newsweek, I forget which, that stated that the scientific community is coming to realize and admit that the a/d's are really not all they're cracked up to be. Many many people don't respond to them and they are addictive in a serious way. But, yes, they do help many too. You just need to be careful and take them under a doctor's care.

jayjaynkay is offline New Member

Default Cymbalta - 1 month into it

I have been on Cymbalta 20mg for about 6 weeks. Not sure how I feel about it yet.
    I did experience pretty severe nausea and headaches when I first started, but it's definitely gotten better.

Prior to Cymbalta, I was on Effexor XR 150mg for over 10 years. The reason for the switch was because I am thinking about trying Chantix to quit smoking. I've read alot of negative things about mixing Chantix with Effexor, thus the reason for the switch.

Honestly out of all antidepressants I've taken over the last 20+ years, Effexor was the best. The Cymbalta took almost a full month before I started noticing it working. And I should probably be on a higher dose than 20mg, but Cymbalta increases my RLS to the point where I'm now having to take Ambien at night to be able to sleep. Doesn't seem like it's worth it at this point, but I'll give it another few weeks.

disabledleo is offline Member

Default weeks into it

I've been put on 40 mgs a day & have been on it for a few weeks & feel absolutely no change what so ever so I will talk to my doctor monday & see what he says. As far as zaps all the pain meds over the past 12 yrs have taken most of the zap out of my brain. Good luck & I agree only take as directed by doctor & let them know what you are experiencing & what your fears are.

l5pine is offline Junior Member

Exclamation cymbalta

Good Day,
    I've been taking cymbalta for about 4 yrs now. Started at 120mg-1xday and am now at 90mg-1xday. Last April I was cut from 120 to 60 x day with no titration. It was hell on earth! No joke! Brain zaps, joint pain, mood ???? - Hell! - my own bro won't even visit me anymore. Yet, as you can see I still take it and allowed my doc to increase it from 60 to 90 x day. That's because it works. I would be a basket case of pain related depression without it. I suggest you Google "Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms" and do not stop at the 1st page. Go 2, 3 even 4 or more pages back until you see some pages written by actual uses. Check those out as they will give you 1st hand reports from people. As for me, I expect to be on it for the rest of my life, and I realize that. So I don't worry so much about the withdrawal aspect.

Best,
    L5Pine

Default Upped my dose today

Went in & dropped the pain meds big time & upped the cymbalta to 60 mgs a day so we share see....? Good luck & I am willing to try anything as I have over the years to see if it helps. The people that love me want me back so I will do anything to try.. Just find doctor - pharm - you can ACTUALLY TRUST because they are out there & its amazing what they will do for YOU.. But you have to be honest because they know what they are doing & can see past the BULL just by looking at you & listening to you. I have an incredible team that I have put my life of trust into.

yezdegerd is offline Senior Member

It is a hit or miss with EVERY anti depressant. I too tried cymbalta and it made me feel like a retarded zombie coming down off cocaine. There are several anti depressants and if one isn't working or has to many side effects don't be afraid to move on and try the next

Default to be honest even tripled my dose

Even them tripling my dose to 60 mgs a day I am not feeling anything different. So I do not know what to do with this stuff or not...?? I won't see my doctor for awhile & will maybe talk to my pharm next week when I go in for my injection to see what he thinks.. I would think I should feel somethiing BUT will give it time & "ASK" the family if they've seen a change in my behavior & go from there.

Post Cymbalta

Hi Leo, Gosh - u should have started to feel better by now. How long have you been on it? It's been a week at 60mg, hasn't it? I don't wanna alarm you but I'm starting to worry about withdrawals should you decide to stop taking it.If you do decide to drop it and don't start on another ssri, then titrate down VERY slow. Maybe 10mg at a time or so. All you need to do is open the capsule and take out some of the little caplets inside. Maybe you won't need to, but I am still suffering from withdrawals and I'm still on it.
    Have you tried Lexapro? That one was excellent for my mood and well-being but my body just doesn't like it, darn it! But apparently your bods diff. seeing as how the Cymbalta isn't working for you. And yes! Do talk to your Pharma!
    ? - you get injections at your pharmacy?!?

Best,
    Des
    ~~"I WANT TO THANK EVERYBODY THAT EVER SAID NO TO ME, BECAUSE OF THEM - 'I DID IT MYSELF!'"~~

Default Leo,cymbalta

Hey again Leo. I came across this site and it made me think about you. Follow this link to a page about anti-depressants. What made me think about you was that they mentioned that it takes 4-6 weeks for a anti-depressant or and increase of said anti-depressant to work. So me thinks that you need to be patient for awhile.

Best,
    Des

Go here:

https://www.drugs.com/fda-consumer/u...ations-73.html
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-08-2011 at 06:44 PM.
    ~~"I WANT TO THANK EVERYBODY THAT EVER SAID NO TO ME, BECAUSE OF THEM - 'I DID IT MYSELF!'"~~

Default Yup thats what I was thinking

I will go into pharm & talk with him on Monday but I figure it will take a few weeks to build up in my system. As for other meds like this YES been on EVERYTHING possible. You truly wouldn't believe everything thats been pumped thru my system. I posted somewhere once before at 1 point I started keeping the meds that I was put on just 1 bottle per kind of med. I had a full 55 gallon leaf blk trash bag full after 2 years of bottles. Most half full because of their reaction they had on my body. At 1 time I was taking like 9-12 different pills a day - different meds / thats a serious cocktail that ended me up in the ER with an OD because my bladder shut down & the chemicals all written by 1 doctor became toxic & killed me. If it wasn't for my wife I would have died that day. END OF STORY
    Thank you Tina for saving me & I will prove it was not a mistake & show you I was worth all the trouble. Time to enjoy life together & remembering it all.
    Thanks I5pine for thinking about me & yes I'm getting test. cypinate weekly because the meds shut my body down in several areas. Several organs with problems & vitamin def. big time.. So when I say I'm fighting I am fighting several areas all at once. But winning this time

leebeached is offline New Member

Default Cymbalta saved my life

I've been off and on(mostly on) antidepressants since my early 20's and I'm 54 now, I was on Prozac for about 5 years and had lots of problems with tics and tremors, sweating and inconsistent results with depression marked by suicidal ideations since puberty. About 3 years ago I was switched to Cymbalta- unfortunately too quickly and lost about 2 weeks according to my family, curled up on the couch but over around 3-6 months I began to feel better, lost the tremors, tics, although as with all ssri's sweated like crazy .starting on 60 mg, inc to 90mg for most of this time- i've dec the dose now to 60 mg and still ok so far. There are a lot of drug/drug interactions and I had some problems with elevated bp, bp lability( it went up and down) and a lot of times my body felt plugged into an electrical socket.however at 60 mg this is much improved. Why did I do anything to stay on it! It works!!! I no longer am plagued with suicidal thoughts- at ALL and finally feel like I can enjoy life. The longer I'm on it the better I feel. I've never tried to come off of it and can't really think of why I would. Exercise helps with a lot of the side effects, although I do have nausea a lot and IBS symptoms which I think are the most unpleasant issues which may or may not be caused by the cymbalta- I recently started on Librax( an older med) that works great for this when donnatal and other gi meds didn't work. I've had to be careful when adding other meds- i.e. it was totally incompatable with beta blockers( a type of bp med) causing my bp to go way high and then drop quickly. I learned with my dr. to be very careful and pay attention to all symptoms when I started a new med- I do now have to take a a bp med all the time which I didn't before taking cymbalta although due to other illnesses, regular exercise has been difficult to keep up with. I have chronic mild liver disease( chronic hep c) which is highlighted in the literature as a possible contraindication but I've just become ever vigilant and take care of my liver. I believe at doses of 90mg or above the risk for serotonin syndrome is always something to watch out for. I get "head sweats" sometimes too. Magnesium supplements have been most helpful in curtailing the severity of a lot of problems as well as anticholinergics( likewhat's in librax and other common gi meds). As I read over this it sounds like a lot of problems but after suffering with such severe and unrelenting depression cymbalta is giving me a chance to live and smile. I've heard and read the horror stories of the difficulties in eventually coming off of it but if done slowly and with support of a good physician( if you haven't tried acupuncture- I urge you to ) I have no fear that it can be done. It can't be worse than getting off of prozac! All SSRI's have these type side effects and I hope this encourages rather than discourages you, Please feel free to ask me if something is not clear and I wish you the best of luck in addressing your problems. God bless p.s.- I also quit having bad headaches!!!! It takes time

dc.angle.4eva is offline New Member

Red face Cymbalta-Taken On & Off 4 times

In the last few years, I'd taken it & stopped with out any bad side effects. When I went off it the last time (for good) was due to being put on Fiorcet for headaches & migraines because I did at that point have bad side effects from cymbalta interfering with Fiorcet (as in driving & having thought of driving off the road...) BUT as for taking Cymbalta & stopping, I did not have ay side effects at all. My dose was 1 a day for the 1st week then 2 a day after that.... I had just stopped taking it & no side effects. The 1st time I stopped taking it I did drop the 2 a day dose 2 only 1 and then 1 every other day... However, I did stop taking Cymbalta completey ALL the other times & I was fine. Each & every time I was taken Cymbalta it was at least 3 months or longer. I wish that it had not had a bad inter-reaction with the Fiorcet.... or I'd still be taking it.... Hope this information helps you in your choice to take or not... Feel better!!!!!! Jess

Default been @ 60mgs awhile

Hey I just wanted to see what you all think because I have been on 60 mgs of the cymbalta now a couple weeks & I feel no difference at all from taking it. If you have followed my other threads you know I am experiencing EXTREME headaches & at a sitting calm nice fuzzy feeling my bp was taken by my pharmacist & he got 186/106... I'm 6' 225 pounds give or take but weight is not a real issue because I am built as an athlete & have never been under 200 lbs even during college ball so ok could lose a few pounds but come on..... I'm worried this stuff is resulting in the extreme head aches I'm having & if thats the case I'll flush these things too.....
    Any suggestions would be appreciated... To read up on my head aches if you choose they are in the need to talk under robert melinda will be gone all day I think..
    Thanks

Stay with it, Pal. My body mass is probably only about 70% of yours and I take 90 mg x day. As a pain medication it's max therapeutic dose is 120 mg x day so maybe you should consider upping it to 90 and see what happens. But I'd give it time, Leo. I've read many times where it can take 4 to 6 weeks before it reaches it's full therapeutic potential.

Best,
    Des

Default Giving it time

Thanks & had a great session with my phycologist & she said "KNOWING" what she knows about me 60 mgs is a drop in the bucket (her quote) for me to take. So as everyone that has been involved with what I've done is tried everything they have done to me. So will wait & talk to pharm. & doctor to see what they want to "try" next.
    Phycologist was shocked with just 1 more event I've been living with burried deep inside of mne & she said I must be 1 of those "cats" with more than 9 lives...... Many many more than 9x's I've been TRIED to be taken away from this place called EARTH. All I can say is my work here is not done yet but will take yrs for me to unload everything that has been buried inside of me. She told me thats FINE she will be there for me every step of the way. Today was a knife driving into chest tomorrow I'm not sure of yet??? But my mind is open & ready to bring the next event that has created me who I am out & share it with her.
    Time will tell
    l5pine likes this.