I'm on Subutex and need help
    justmex4 is offline Junior Member

Question I'm on Subutex and need help

I've been on Subutex since 1/18/11 because I was abusing Percocet. So I chose to put myself on Subutex. I've been doing pretty good on them. I have a lot of medical problems which cause chronic pain and this has been my main concern from day one with getting off of the opiates. My new Subutex Dr. assured me that after the detox stage that they would adjust me to a pain management level of Subutex that would manage my pain. So I now take 6 8mg Subutex's a day for pain management. I know from what I've read on here that that is a lot of Subutex. But my problem is that I am still in a lot of pain. This is not controlling my pain and I don't know what to do. I have paid a lot of money for this Subutex program and am in so much pain that I can barely get out of the bed and move. It has been this way for a couple of weeks and I keep hoping it will get better, but it's not. I don't know when I should throw in the towel and call my medical doctor. I want to be off the opiates but I cannot handle the pain. I just don't know if this is the right time for me to have taken myself off of the pain medicine. Could anyone give me any advice or is anyone going through something similar?

Thanks so much for listening.

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Grab all your meds and run from that stupid dr as fast as you can. 48mg is totally ignorant I don't care what he/she says. When you do that read the following link and let me know if you want help from me. God bless.

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...apy-50887.html

picablue is offline Member

High doses of bup can make some folks feel sick. That's a whole lot for someone who was on pain pills...

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Grab all your meds and run from that stupid dr as fast as you can. 48mg is totally ignorant I don't care what he/she says. When you do that read the following link and let me know if you want help from me. God bless.

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...apy-50887.html
    Thank you Robert....I'm getting ready to read your link right now. I'm so lost as to what to do. I paid so much money for this program I'm in and you want to believe and trust your doctor, but from just my own research I know that it's an insane amount of meds he has me on!! And I know that I can't put a price tag on my health, so what I paid for the program should be irrelevant, but in the big scheme of things I have to consider my financial status!! Ok, let me stop and go read your link - I hear that you are 'THE MAN' on here so I'm very interested in everything you have to say.

Thanks for listening and your input...I'll be back!!
    Amy

Default i have your answer

as you can see from my screen name ive been on pills for a long time. ive been through it all. started off snortin and eatin then went to shootin then went to subutex then started snortin those then shootin them. what you need is not subutex or suboxone. they tell you its for pain too but its not. if you want a maintenance drug and pain drug combined you should try methadone. it has very strong pain relieving effects and blocks opiates.

Default message to everyone about subutex/suboxone

i have a lot of experience with these drugs. ive been doing them for years. first and foremost i know i am a junkie and do not care to admit it. now, as for the naloxone in subutex, it does nothing. i shoot up suboxone or subutex everyday, usually 4 to 6 times a day at around 4mg each time.neither suboxone nor subutex has ever made me sick, nor any of the other 30 some people i know who inject these drugs. the only difference is that subutex hits you a little faster and lasts a little longer because it doesnt have the blocker. I KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT. i do it daily. as for the pain aspect, neither are good for pain. period. these are called maintenance drugs not pain management drugs for a reason. they were developed for narcotic dependence recovery, not pain relief. i also know every form of both drugs including the new strips. if you have a question about buphrenorphine or suboxone or subutex, however you want to put it, i CAN answer it. ask away ive researched them for years and have plenty of first hand experience

Normankay is offline Member

at my highest dose of methadone which was 140 mgs. It never blocked >>>>>>. I have plenty of first hand experience too and all it did was make me a zombie. If you don't mind sleeping all day then Methadone is for you. I was on methadone for over a year too, so I know I had a good enough experience with it. For pain methadone is the worst drug I have had to deal with and almost everyone I know that has been on Methadone hates life. I have never met anyone on Methadone with bad pain that honestly wanted to stay on it. They were stuck on it. I know many people that are on Methadone that are stuck on it, they are trapped in world of hurt and their whole life is viscious circle of adiction. I know people that have been on it 10 and 20 years. They still have pain.

Most people don't educate themselves on what Opiates do for pain. The main idea behind opiates is the release of Seretonin. The brain chemical for hapiness. After long term abuse your brain actually masks the pain and people tend to push their body into physical exurtion causing more pain. Then in the long run it makes the body not able to tolerate pain without the use of Opiates.

I have known many people that have all sorts of chronic pain that don't need opiates for their pain. Unfortunately opiates create pain and turn a lot of people into junkies. Diet and excercise really help to eleviate most pain.

If percocets were able to aleviate this guys pain then methadone is definately not an option unless this person wants to be another dependant opiate vegetable standing in line with a bunch of other people stuck to the Methadone clinics.

I just want relief from the pain, that's all I want. I would prefer to continue down the optiate free path that I am currently on. However, it is not looking very promising. I don't know how much more of the pain I can tolerate. It is just unbearable. And I'm not just saying this to try and get opiates, I just want something to help me, whatever it might be.

newyorkgal is offline Advanced Member

I have never heard of a sub program like yours. Sub is an opiate, but exceptionally poor at alleviating pain and VERY powerful. 48 mgs. is ridiculous as sub has a ceiling dose anyway and a lot of people feel way worse on high doses. I switched from methadone to sub, 16 mg. to start and it was too high and I felt terrible unttil I got down to a lower, reasonable dose which was about 4 mgs. If your pain is unbearable sub is NOT the route to go down. I was on methadone for a very long time, not for pain but for addiction. I was not a zombie. However, I was not on a high dose. Never above 80 and on 25 mg. for the last several years. It is one of the best pain relieving opiatets. However, investigating non opiate pain relief would be your best bet. If you end up needing an opiate for pain, methadone is better for thatt than sub. If the percocets were relieving the pain, then methadone is a huge step up and shouldn't be considered if lesser opiatets work. Hopefully, a good doctor can find a non opiate way to deal with your terrible pain issues.

Thank you Newyork gal...I promise they have me on 6 8mgs a day of Subutex for pain control..I didn't start out on that dose, it's just been increased due to the pain. Is Methatdone better for pain than Subutex? I just am so upset that I've spent so much money on this Subutex program and feel like I'm not being listened to, and am in pain unlike anything I've experienced before, and there's nothing I can do about it. I have to deal with it. I guess my pain threshold is higher than I ever imagined!! I know that my husband is getting annoyed with seeing me like this and is about ready to take me to the ER because of the pain and the fact that I can't move without his assistance. But I've tried to tell him that they can't do anything for me because of the Subutex. He just doesn't understand that.

I totally believe you mex. I wasn't implying you weren't telling the truth. I just never heard of anything like that. Sub has a super long half life so taking it that many times a day is unnecessary and just really increasing the amount of sub in your bloodstream at all times which will make it exceptionally hard to get off of. Methadone is by far a better pain reliever than sub. Sub is used somewhat for pain but it's main function is to help people get off other opiates. I think the program they have you on is really bad. This is my opinion but I think the proof is that your pain is at an all time high. I'm sorry you spent so much money for something that isn't helping at all. Methadone is the standard for severe pain. Of course, if there is a non opiate route to take, that's the best bet but I believe if pain is unbearable you have to give yourself some kind of quality of life. I don't know anything about non opiate methods for controlling pain. Hopefully someone can come here and give you some advice. I do know sub isn't the best pain killer and methadone is one of the best, but only for the most severe pain as it is extremely addiction with a long half life (the same as sub) and it's hard to get off of. You need to either go to the ER or see a medical professional ASAP to see what can be done. I wish you the best.

Thanks New yorkgal....every little bit of input I'm getting is helpful. I'm taking it all in and am going to have to make some sort of change, because this just isn't working. And I don't like the idea that I'm on an obscene amount of Subutex...I thought I was on a normal amount until I joined this board! Boy was I clueless! You trust that your doctor knows what they're doing! Especially being paid what I paid for this program, I'm really disappointed. And like you said, look how much pain I'm still in. Something's not right. Well thanks to all for listening, it reallly means a lot.

Mex, try to stick to one thread. I'm answering you all over the place lol.. You'll get better responses if you have one thread also. All I know is you can't go on like this. You need to get it treated and you need to decrease the sub dose. It's not helping your pain, therefore, there is little point to being on such a dose. There's a chance you'll actually feel better pain wise when you bring yourself down. Do it slowly but do it. I didn't have pain when I was on 16 mg. (ttoo high) but I did feel miserable.

Sorry Newyorkgal, I'll try sticking to one thread in the future! I'm going to wait until tomorrow and call my primary and tell him what's going on. Maybe he can help. I'm also going to start reducing the Subutex. Read Robert's thread again for help with that.

Thank you again!

Quote Originally Posted by justmex4 View Post
    Sorry Newyorkgal, I'll try sticking to one thread in the future! I'm going to wait until tomorrow and call my primary and tell him what's going on. Maybe he can help. I'm also going to start reducing the Subutex. Read Robert's thread again for help with that.

Thank you again!

I have only heard of a small handful of people in my life ever receiving such an absurd dose of subutex, even for pain control, and their drs were nutso too! Subutex is really not that good of a pain reliever, just like newyorkgal said. If you need that much pain control you need to be on methadone maintenance if it's a lifetime problem. But NO WAY you should take 48mg of subutex. That in itself causes all kinds of side effects like profuse sweating, sleep disorders, anxiety, the list goes on. You should be a basket case on that much subutex. You need to taper down rapidly off that dose and have a pain dr who knows what he/she is doing titrate you properly with methadone. Hope that helps. Let us know. God bless.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-21-2011 at 11:00 AM.

WellI I paid for a 6 week program on for this Subutex, which started January 18th, so I should be at the end next week. The only thing I've gained is that I'm not on opiates. But I can't give them anymore money knowing what I have learned on this board. It scares me that they have me on this much Subutex and I'm still in this much pain. And they seem to act like it's an everyday occurence. So Robert, are you saying that Methadone is a much better pain reliver than the Subutex? If that's the case I would want to be on that instead. Looks like I have a lot to do and short amount of time to do it in!

Thank you again for everyone's information and help. You don't know how useful it has all been. thanks
    Amy
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-21-2011 at 08:50 PM.

Amy ..... methadone is a MUCH better pain reliever than subs. They aren't even close in comparison methadone is so much more effective than are subs.

It's just that if you go with methadone longterm make sure you don't plan on getting off any time soon. Methadone is a last resort in my book, but it's a great pain reliever and safer on your body than most opiates if it's used properly regardless of lots of the bad print it gets. That is a fact. It's easier to taper off subs if you follow the taper plan I suggest, but methadone is even a harder taper.

Make sure that is what you really want to do before you make the choice. Methadone use for pain is for life or at least for the very long term. It's a quality of life issue that YOU have to make the decision on. You have to decide how bad your pain is and if you can tolerate it or not.

Hope that helps you make the right decision. I'm here if I can help, though newyorkgal or cheekysod either one are better authorities on methadone than me. I know subs but they are longtime methadone users and I would totally trust what they tell you in that area. Neither would steer you wrong with methadone. God bless.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-21-2011 at 08:56 PM.

Ok, Robert, that is very helpful. There is just such a stigma with Methadone, as with anything of this nature. Which I just need to get over that and do what's best for me. I'm just going to talk to my Dr about the amount of pain I'm in and tell him that the Subutex is not cutting it. I need something. I don't want to go back to using Percocet's, but I can't live like this either. Something's got to give.

Thanks again for your info and I'll see if Newyorkgal and Cheekysod can give me some more info.

Amy

Newyorkgal and Cheekysod - if either of you see this and are interested in helping me with some info on Methadone please hit me up. I need some info!

Thanks!
    Amy

First of all, the stigma with methadone has to do witth people going to methadone clinics. By law, if you are taking methadone for addiction (like I was), doctor's can't perscribe it in a private setting. However, if you are on methadone for pain, you can get that from a pain management doctor in a private practice reducing the stigma right there. What I would say though is that before you go on methadone, you should try other pain meds. There are pills that run the gamut from weak to super strong. Methadone is kind of the top of the line, or the end of the line. All I do know is that I can't even understand being on 48 mgs. and it's only for 6 weeks? And then what do they do? It doesn't make sense to me and appears to be a money making scam, not unusual at all unfortunately. It is just not the answer for you as even this high dose doesn't relieve your pain. Robert told you right aboutt everything. Sub is not great for pain. High dose sub causes a multitude of side effects. Methadone is great for pain but HIGHLY addictive and hard to get off. If he's never heard of anyone on your type of program, then it ain't happening because he's dealt with many. It sounds so bizzare. Anyway, the pain is awful. You need relief. I would try to see if a mid level pain med might work. I wouldn't go straight to methadone but would keep it in the back of my mind as something that might be necessary in the future. There is no stigma when someone is looking for pain relief and quality of life.