Klonopin' extended peak...
    fitnesslifestyle is offline New Member

Default Klonopin' extended peak...

I'm more or less just curious if others feel this way. I've used Benzos on and off for 7 (Xanax, Xanax XR, Klonopin, Attivan, Valium...) and the longest any of them has ever taken to notice full anti-anxiety effects is Valium, which takes about an hour for me to have desired effects and feel a peak. I recently switched back to Klonopin (it's been years since I used it) and the first night, I felt it within 30 mins. But the 2nd night I thought I didn't feel it at ALL and then I noticed some anti-anxiety effects when I went to bed 3 hours after ingesting. So I did some research and found out that it can take 1-4 hours to reach peak blood conentration levels and after over a week, I can now say that Klonpin takes about an hour to even notice and a bit over two hours for me to truly feel all my anxiety being lifted. No other benzo has ever taken this long to work. I find it to be a very good medication though (although not if one is in need of something to quickly strike an occurring panic attack), just wanted to know if others had this delayed reaction to it because a lot of people claim to get effects within 30 mins.

Thanks and take care all!

Do we have Mods that can move this to the "Drug Information" board!?

Lol at 119 views, you guys can even say things like "Nope, that never happened to me on Klonopin", that would count as a post fyi.

Anyways, I'd appreciate the move!

Thank you.

ARTIST658 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by fitnesslifestyle View Post
    Do we have Mods that can move this to the "Drug Information" board!?

Lol at 119 views, you guys can even say things like "Nope, that never happened to me on Klonopin", that would count as a post fyi.

Anyways, I'd appreciate the move!

Thank you.
    141 readers now... still no responses. So I guess I'll jump in. It sounds like you've been taking benzodiazepenes for a long time, and that raises a "red flag" to me. Benzos (the drug class of all of these meds) are generally intended for short-term use only, as the effects of long-term use have not been fully researched by the drug companies. [Or, if it has been, those studies have not been widely released, as they don't like what those results are showing.]

One of the foremost respected authorities on benzodiazepene drugs is Dr. C. Heather Ashton, Emeritus Professor of Psychopharmacology, School of Neurosciences, Division of Psychiatry, University of Newcastle, England. Here is a link to her website, which is devoted to the topic of benzos: http://www.benzo.org.uk/index.htm You can gain a lot of insight into these drugs through this site.

One monumental problem with this class of drugs is the frequent increase in anxiety experienced by those using benzos over a long period of time. Yes, in other words, taking benzos for anxiety can lead you to... more anxiety... requiring more drugs... and adding more anxiety. It's a true "catch 22" situation, best to completely avoid.

Personally, I suggest trying any and all other forms of anxiety relief before resorting to benzodiazepenes. There are non-addictive drugs for anxiety. There are also many alternative forms of treatment, from acupuncture and biofeedback, to meditation and exercise. Popping a klonopin may seem like a quick fix, but in the long run, it's anything but.

Knowledge is power - I hope you'll read through some of Dr. Ashton's site.

God bless,
    Ruth

PS. You may want to "cut and paste" this posting under the "Need to Talk" forum, as it appears the most readers go there.

Quote Originally Posted by ARTIST658 View Post
    One monumental problem with this class of drugs is the frequent increase in anxiety experienced by those using benzos over a long period of time. Yes, in other words, taking benzos for anxiety can lead you to... more anxiety... requiring more drugs... and adding more anxiety. It's a true "catch 22" situation, best to completely avoid.
    The only Benzo that has had this effect on me is Xanax instant release, as the half life is so short that the rebound anxiety it causes is awful. In 7 years, no other Benzo has caused this. I've always had the luxury of never becoming too dependent as well. I've went from 4mg Xanax / day to nothing without any taper and was perfectly fine.

I've used every Anti-Depressant you can name, MAO Inhibitors, Anti-Psychotics, BuSpar, even tried a few Beta Blockers. I've tried tons of "Off-Label" medications too. Trust me, daily use of Benzodiazepines is the ONLY thing that works for me. There's plenty of people out their with refractory forms who only respond to Benzos or sometimes an "Off-Label" treatment. I would rather have mild dependency with the use of Benzos than to deal with the GAD that I would have to everyday. That's a choice I made years ago.

Your advice is solid, it just doesn't apply to me. Thanks for chiming in though.

Oh, I exercise too. Competitive Bodybuilding, it's my life. I've been in PT for years too. An old friend and colleague of mine is now an Acupuncturist, so I have access to that anytime I want. I do enjoy it but anxiety relief? Sure, in the moment but that's all.

No feedback on Klonopin though? No worries, thanks again for the response at least!

kitkat73 is offline Junior Member

For me clonazepam has always taken longer to kick in than diazepam, sometimes up to 1 hour. It also seems to have a longer-lasting and more "steady" effect than diazepam, which would generally kick in after about 30 min but be "gone" a couple of hours later. Years ago there were times when I had to use clonazepam 4x daily at a fixed dose, then diazepam for break-through anxiety. Thankfully I don't seem much prone to addiction because it was never a problem to come off them cold-turkey, even though I took something like 8 mg clonazepam and 30-60 mg diazepam daily at some points. I think maybe because benzos never had a very strong effect on me. I only use them very occasionally nowadays, and when I do it's clonazepam. I was always terrified of trying Xanax because of the fast onset and short action. I've had this feeling that would be such a relief sometimes that one could very easily become dependant on them psychologically - if not physically. I tried oxazepam too at some point which did nothing.

arcanoidcyst16 is offline New Member

Well here is another reply for you my friend.I would like to say that they do make Klonopin Wafers.I don't know if you have tried that yet.Which If I am not mistaken dissolve in your mouth and should work almost instantly.I am not completely sure about that though.I would like to say although klonopin may take a while.The benefits are worth it.I am also on Klonopin and have also noticed that the more I take them and I am not saying that I am taking more than prescribed.The more my body becomes IMMUNE to it and eventually will require a higher dosage.So if you are not getting the full effects that you used to get with it.I would advise speaking with your doctor about that because I just recently went up from 0.5mg of klonopin to 1mg and I have got back to the desired effects that I like.

BadKneesDude is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by fitnesslifestyle View Post
    I'm more or less just curious if others feel this way. I've used Benzos on and off for 7 (Xanax, Xanax XR, Klonopin, Attivan, Valium...) and the longest any of them has ever taken to notice full anti-anxiety effects is Valium, which takes about an hour for me to have desired effects and feel a peak. I recently switched back to Klonopin (it's been years since I used it) and the first night, I felt it within 30 mins. But the 2nd night I thought I didn't feel it at ALL and then I noticed some anti-anxiety effects when I went to bed 3 hours after ingesting. So I did some research and found out that it can take 1-4 hours to reach peak blood conentration levels and after over a week, I can now say that Klonpin takes about an hour to even notice and a bit over two hours for me to truly feel all my anxiety being lifted. No other benzo has ever taken this long to work. I find it to be a very good medication though (although not if one is in need of something to quickly strike an occurring panic attack), just wanted to know if others had this delayed reaction to it because a lot of people claim to get effects within 30 mins.

Thanks and take care all!

Honestly, I have never had that problem. I been taking Klonopin on and off for 4 years now. It always kicks in about 20 minutes and stays in my system a long time. It has always kicked in pretty quickly for me.

Everybody is different though and reacts to meds in different ways.

For example, Xanax does NOTHING for me, but others its great for.

LadayBrownEyez is offline New Member

Wink

I have been taking Klonopin for 8 years now and feel it's peak effects within about an hour of the last dose. Although these types of drugs have an extremely long half-life, so trying to compare one day's results with the next day's results can be difficult and fruitless when trying to extrapolate data. There are quick dissolving Klonopin and Xanax wafers, and I know the drugs are available in liquid form, not sure if they are prescribed that way.