Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
LEXAPRO = I want positive feedback only
    pfd572 is offline New Member

Default Lexapro

I used Lexapro for about 3 years and only problem I had was weight gain, lots of cravings, but helped pretty well. Recently, my neurologist put me on Cymbalta for depression, neuropathy, fibromyalgia. Now that is a HORRIBLE drug. After about 3 weeks I started have major wishes to die, non-stop crying, lethargic, stomach pain, leg cramps, nausea-major, to name a few side effects. So I would suggest trying the Lexapro and stay away from Cymbalta should your doc suggest. Good Luck. Everyone reacts differently.

shotty1 is offline New Member

I just took it for the first time last night.. it made my stress enduced anxiety worse.. I could not sleep at all. Should I continue to take it? Any advice out there?

clarkrrt is offline New Member

Default Klonopin/Lexapro Combo for SAD/GAD

Can anyone share their experiences with starting these meds?
    I started 0.5mg Klonopin on Tuesday to "get my nerve up" enough to try the Lexapro. Years ago, I tried Effexor/Prozac which both were activating to me.
    It made me panic after the first dose. The klonopin is relaxing but not helping with my social abilities if you will. I've never taken anymore than advil and I'll admit, I am scared enough taking klonopin much less adding another med.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by shotty1 View Post
    I just took it for the first time last night.. it made my stress enduced anxiety worse.. I could not sleep at all. Should I continue to take it? Any advice out there?
    My doc advised that it would cause increased anxiety for two to three days. She started me on 5mg initially. Please let the group know how you are doing.

catie25 is offline Junior Member

Default Suggestion when first starting lexapro

I started taking lexapro about 5 weeks ago. After a few days I had a bad reaction of feeling very panicky (and have not felt like that before at all) even at a low dose (2.5mg). But I didn't want to give up on the drug so my doctor had a good suggestion: break your daily dose in half and take one morning and one night (both times with food). You are still taking in same mg/day but just breaking it in to 2 doses. Doing that really seemed to help. Insomnia was also worsened at first but I am now sleeping much better for the most part. I know lots of people have had a hard time tolerating lexapro but I have to say it has really helped me so far. I have increased the dose to 7.5mg/day (5mg morning/2.5 night) and I am doing great....keep me posted! I like to hear others experiences with lexapro.

Veronica001 is offline New Member

Smile Lexapro for GAD/Panic attacks

Hi, My name is Veronica (23 yrs. old) and about a week after New Years this year I had my first panic attack. My son and I (3 yrs old) were sitting in our apartment watching Chicken Little (a common thing for us to do on the weekends), and all of a sudden my heart started racing, I had cold sweats, and my mind was racing and I felt like I was going crazy. I felt like if I didn't get out of my apartment at that second that I would lose it. I called my parents who live about 30 miles away and asked if they would pick us up. My mom said my gma had panic attacks when she was younger and this may be what I was having. I refused to go to the hospital for what seemed like a 'mental problem' so I had her drive us to their house. This is already a long story so to make it short I ended up basically living at their house for almost 2 mos. I was scared to come to my apt. thinking that this might happen again. (While I was staying with my parents I still had a few milder panic attacks.) After a couple 'pointless' counseling sessions, I met with my doctor and she had me start on Lexapro for GAD and panic attacks. This was early February. I was also one of those people that was TERRIFIED of having to be on medication especially for a mental health problem but if you've had a few panic attacks you know that after a while you're almost desperate to do anything to feel like yourself again. I'm taking 10mg/day and have been for about 2 mos. now and I'm sooo happy I finally went to a doctor and got treatment for this. At first I had a little bit of drymouth but nothing a little water couldn't take care of. And at first I had a little trouble sleeping but I think that was just because I was so scared in general of having to take meds for a mental health problem that I couldn't stop thinking about it. All in all I think Lexapro was the best thing that's happened to me since I started having these attacks and maybe it's not for everyone but if you're as desperate for relief as I was it's worth a shot. In no way do I feel like a 'zombie' or not myself, I feel like for the first time since January I DO feel like myself, and the last month or so I haven't had any symptoms whatsoever. If anyone reading this has anymore questions for me about Lexapro or wants to talk about anxiety/panic attacks PLEASE feel free to ask or email me. I know I was embarassed to even read about my disorder let alone talk about it but trust me I know what it's like but it's better in the long run!
    Take care,
    Veronica

Veronica,

Thanks for sharing your message. It helps alot. Did you start at 10mg or titrate your dose up? My doc gave me a script for 10mg but advised me to break them in half to start. I was even thinking of starting at 2.5mg if I can figure out how to get that accurate of a dose from a 10mg tablet. Best of luck and thanks for the advice.

grasshoppersusan is offline New Member

Default reply

Quote Originally Posted by clarkrrt View Post
    Veronica,

Thanks for sharing your message. It helps alot. Did you start at 10mg or titrate your dose up? My doc gave me a script for 10mg but advised me to break them in half to start. I was even thinking of starting at 2.5mg if I can figure out how to get that accurate of a dose from a 10mg tablet. Best of luck and thanks for the advice.
    Hi. I started on 10mg and stayed on it until the last week or 2 of tapering. I have known people to take 5mg though but most psych people say 10mg is the lowest therapeutic dose.

dehemmin is offline New Member

Default Lexapro saved my life

With a long history of depression, I've been on virtually every SSRI and a couple of different MAOIs at one time or another. Lexapro has been the only medication that has really helped me.

I took 70mgs a day for over a year and am currently taking 80mgs a day. Initially I had a few side effects, but they wore off after a few weeks.

The important thing with ANY anti-depressant is to give it a few weeks at least before you give up on it. Often you feel the side effects before you feel the benefits. In the long run the side effects go away but the benefits stay.

bking126 is offline New Member

Default Two cents

I understand that a lot of people have had rough withdrawals and vent about it here, so I just wanted to pitch in my two cents to those of you who are just starting on it. Don't panic. (There, that'll be two pennies!)

I took Lexapro for about a year, under supervision of my family doctor and my therapist. COMMUNICATION with your primary care person is really important, and I recommend keeping notes if you can on how you're feeling -- it will help you AND your doctor know whether the medication seems to be working for you. We did it as simply as rating my depression on a scale of 1=10, and me giving her a list of any new side effects each week.

I didn't have any major side effects during "ramp up" other than jaw pain (muscle tension) and dizziness. While taking it I had some weight gain but for me that was just much less important than the fact that I was now able to get out of bed in the morning and get through my day, actually interact with other people... care about my life.

But anyway, I want to bring some balance to this thread. I read the lexapro withdrawal threads, and scared the ******************** out of myself, but in actuality... not so bad. No worse than banishing any other steady-dose chemical from one's system. I weaned very carefully and slowly because I was terrified. The dizziness and the jaw pain came back a little bit... I had a couple of days where I felt more irritable or moody than "usual.." and since then I have really been okay. My libido, well, I guess that's not as vital to me as it is to some (and that's fair!), it has taken some time to 'recover,' but the affection and the happiness are there and I'm finally in an emotionally healthy relationship again so really, that's more of a priority for me. With exercise and paying attention to what I'm eating the weight has come back off and I'm feeling FINE.

So. Again, to sum up: Don't panic.

...breathe...

Kaddie is offline New Member

I also looked for positive comments regarding Lexapro. After reading blogs I decided not to take it and continued going it on my own. Well, two months later I realized I could not feel much worse, so I took it. It has been a bit over a month since I have been taking Lexapro. Now I feel like my real self for the first continuous time in my life.
    I have a long story if anyone wants to hear more about it. For now, I expecially wish to say that Lexapro is the answer to never knowing how I was going to feel when I opened my eyes in the morning. Now I awaken with a sense of enthusiasm for the day. I am not afraid when the telephone rings. I look forward to getting the mail. I sleep like a baby. My appetite is normal and I am able to follow a healthy diet. My blood pressure is under control, probably due to not being under a "startle response" all the time. And the list goes on.

That's all I have to say for now. I just wish everyone the same kind of reponse as I have, and I have been looking for an answer since 1962.
    Kookaburro likes this.

harleybluz is offline New Member

Default I take those 2

It has worked wonders for me. I have been taking Klonopin for 15 years and have never had to up the dose. I take .5 mg in the morning and evening. Not much really. I take 10 mg of the lexapro and it seems to have the least side effects of all and I've tried everything. Both these drugs help with anxiety/panic attacks. I just told myself I was not going to take more Klonopin than prescribed. I'm not a strong person when it comes to drugs, have a history of drug abuse (many years ago) but this has not been difficult. I wouldn't worry so much about this sweetie. If it is going to help you get through the day without fear, it's worth it. Good luck.

cherry14 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by dehemmin View Post
    With a long history of depression, I've been on virtually every SSRI and a couple of different MAOIs at one time or another. Lexapro has been the only medication that has really helped me.

I took 70mgs a day for over a year and am currently taking 80mgs a day. Initially I had a few side effects, but they wore off after a few weeks.

The important thing with ANY anti-depressant is to give it a few weeks at least before you give up on it. Often you feel the side effects before you feel the benefits. In the long run the side effects go away but the benefits stay.
    80mg a day of Lexapro? Really? I'm not calling you a liar (and maybe I missed something), that just doesn't sound right? My psych said they SOMETIMES will prescribe up to 20mg, but the normal dose is 10mg a day. I am currently on 15.

To the OP....I'll preface the rest of this by saying, I haven't read all of the other replies to this thread, nor have I read the threads about the bad side effects/withdrawals.

I have been on Lexapro for a couple of years now. Was on 10mg a day that whole time, was increased to 15mg a couple of months ago (due to a worsening of my anxiety/depression, which was situational; I won't go in to why). The fact that I can't REMEMBER what it was like when I started on it tells me that the side effects were minimal. If they had been bothersome, I would remember, I figure! I also can be a tough one to take my meds regularly, so I've gone through plenty of periods where I've stopped it, and then restarted it, and do not recall dealing with any symptoms other than knowing my depression symptoms were coming back, which would be expected when discontinuing and antidepressant. I've battled severe depression for many years, so I've tried several different medications (Zoloft and Wellbutrin come to mind right off the bat; I also tried Cymbalta but that was also for chronic pain, so I didn't stay on it long, as it didn't help the pain issues).

AD's definitely take time to show their effectiveness (up to a month), so just give it enough time to see if it works for you. Side effects generally lessen the longer you take it, so if there ARE things initially that bother you, they may bet better. if, say, after a month's time, you don't feel that it is helping you, you can ask your doctor about trying something else. I don't think a month would be enough to cause any kind of bad "withdrawals" or anything like that (just my opinion). If you WOULD end up needing to change, your doctor can advise you if you need to do anything to wean off of it, or if it's ok to just stop it.

Hope this helps, and good luck to you.

RichJON is offline New Member

Default Lexapro withdrawal

Lexapro was fine for the 20 months I was on it, the problem is when I started to come off it. Anxiety, intense panic, palpitations, nausea, depression multiplied by about 1000, distressing burning sensations.
    The depression I was going through was mild before I was first started on it and in essence was not worth going on compared to what I have been going through the last three months. It is okay if nothing goes wrong, but if something goes wrong the medical profession throw up their hands and say well 'We don't know?' and you are left in agony. This drug has given me terrible withdrawal symptoms and 'discontinuation syndrome' is a euphenism used by withdrawal symtoms.

I am only giving you my experience and everyone's metabolism is different. You may not experience what I went through. I am also not a doctor. The only thing I can do is relay my experience. I wish you well.

rxqueen is offline Junior Member

Wink Love Lexapro

So far so good. Although I just started Lexapro I would highly recommend it. Been a little over two days, 20 mg and I feel fantastic. I suffer from severe depression that gets so bad I will lay in bed all day, not eat or talk to anyone. I have been on Wellbutrin, Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft and Effexor and quit them all. I never felt any improvement except a slight one with an Effexor and Wellbutrin combo. However, my insurance policy was cancelled when I changed jobs and I could no longer afford the meds. Wellbutrin by itself was useless.

I feel like talking again and my appetite has come back. It was weird, for a while I had no appetite whatsoever. I don't want to gain weight so to speak but I am glad my appetite has returned because I know it doesn't help my energy level when I don't eat all day. The only side effect I feel is a little bit of insomnia right now. I am usually long asleep by this time but tonite I am still awake. I also woke up very early this morning, a lot earlier then usual alone without any alarm clock. If anything my thoughts might be a little racey but other then that I feel very good. I did not feel this good with any of the other SSRI's and most of them made me tired and lazy which compounded the lackluster energy level that came with the depression. Hope this one works out, it's also $4.00 at Wal-Mart, can't beat that!

futuredoc4u is offline New Member

I'm glad everything's doing well with you guys regarding Lexapro. Have a good one.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-09-2018 at 10:20 PM.

missusmadness is offline New Member

I was on Lexapro for about 9 months, and it brought me out of some pretty rough depression. The side effects were difficult to deal with at first. I felt high a lot of the time for the first two weeks, and I was awfully constipated. All symptoms went away in a week or so, and I was back to being my happy, energetic self.
    I stopped taking Lexapro when awful ADD kicked in, which my therapist attributed to a norepinepherine deficiency, so I switched to Cymbalta. I am not furious with myself for leaving Lexapro, but as I'm controlling my depression without meds now, I don't need it. If I ever need antidepressants again, though, I will definitely return to Lexapro.

harleybluz is offline New Member

Default Lex and Klonopin

Yes. I have been on this combo for 18 months. It works well, however, the Klonopin will strengthen the dose of Lexapro so you may want to start low on the Lex and increase as needed. Klonopin will make you tired at first but, believe me, you get used to it and....I never had to start using more of the Klonopin like many people say they do. Good luck on this combo.

Buzz79 is offline New Member

I was so resistant to any kind of medication for the longest time. I tried to get better on my own through self help, therapy and sheer will power. For the past ten years I have been a severely depressed person. I thought about suicide every day and woke up every morning wishing I was dead. This past year I started cutting myself in an attempt to quell the pain and I almost hung myself in my apartment. Then I just gave in. I don't have health insurance so had to see a doctor at the free clinic where I live. Sitting in the waiting room at a free mental health facility in a major city is not the most pleasant experience, but I'm glad I did becase the depression has lifted. I have been on Lexapro for a week now. I'm only taking 5 mg. The only side effect I have experienced is drowsiness. My libido has possibly declined somewhat but this is not a problem since I was basically a walking hard-on before. I am tempted to start taking 10 mg to see if it will make me feel any better. I do hope the drowsiness subsides because I don't like feeling "stoned" all day everyday but even if it didn't I wouldn't care because anything is better than how I was feelin before...

MaisieC is offline Senior Member

Hi Buzz,

I'm glad the Lexapro is helping you. I was on it for a while and I know that it prevented me from killing myself. Thanks be to God.

I just want to say PLEASE don't mess with your dose without getting permission from your doctor! You've only been on the medication for a week, and it can take longer than that for the full effect to be felt. I know how great it feels to begin to feel better, but it's really important for you to be patient right now and work with your doctor to find the right dose. (Also, your side effects could get worse if you raise the dose.) Self-medicating (which is essentially what you're doing when you tweak your own dose) is a very slippery slope. It can lead to all sorts of bad things: trust me on that. Try to hang in there and talk with your doctor if you're still feeling bad or if you have any questions.

Take care, and please let us know how you're doing.

cjgittens is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by catie25 View Post
    I started taking lexapro about 5 weeks ago. After a few days I had a bad reaction of feeling very panicky (and have not felt like that before at all) even at a low dose (2.5mg). But I didn't want to give up on the drug so my doctor had a good suggestion: break your daily dose in half and take one morning and one night (both times with food). You are still taking in same mg/day but just breaking it in to 2 doses. Doing that really seemed to help. Insomnia was also worsened at first but I am now sleeping much better for the most part. I know lots of people have had a hard time tolerating lexapro but I have to say it has really helped me so far. I have increased the dose to 7.5mg/day (5mg morning/2.5 night) and I am doing great....keep me posted! I like to hear others experiences with lexapro.
    I started Lexapro 2 days ago and am having a tight feeling in my chest intermittently since last night and most of today. My doctor started me out at 10mg and since it's the weekend, I can't get in touch with her to ask her advice. I'm afraid to keep taking it the entire weekend until I can go see her on Monday, but do not want to stop it completely since I've already started. Will this cutting in half work for the meantime until I can find out exactly what to do? Or is messing with the doses unwise. I'm on no other medication except birth control (microgestin Fe 1/20)

I wast to give it a chance because I do feel better on it emotionally even after two days
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-13-2009 at 06:42 PM.

rxqueen is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up Update

Hi,
    I had replied to this thread when I was pretty new to Lexapro so I thought I would update my experience. I am absolutely THRILLED with the results so far. It has been about a week beyond one month and I am feeling truly amazing. It totally blows my mind that I can go to Wal-Mart for $4.00 a month and purchase this medication and be so, so, so, happy. First off, not only has my mood improved dramatically. My appetite is great. Before Lexapro I was barely eating 500 calories per day, if that. Mind you I am 225 pounds. I had no desire to eat whatsoever, which did not help the lack of energy. I was a total potato. My boyfriend who is 16 years my senior was getting quite irritated with my laziness, although he did understand my depression. I had no desire to get out of bed and do anything. I have 3 days off per week. Sunday I relax, sleep in, hang out in my pj's, and spend time with my family. I cat nap all day. Monday and Tuesday I am out and about, shopping, doing laundry, taking my 15 month old to Chuck E Cheese and Funspot, enjoying the weather, running errands, cleaning the house very thoroughly, making contact with friends, responding to phone calls and e-mails from family and friends, having lunch dates with friends etc. All of these things were way beyond me before. I never answered the phone, e-mail's piled up, family members became angry and confrontational, and I just went back into my hole. I am showering consistently, keeping up with my apperance. Prior going without a shower till I couldn't stand my own smell was normal. I would bathe my daughter but not myself. My car is clean, and I recently signed up for a Medical Transcriptionist course which I am doing well at so far. I have been actively studying and passed two quizzes. Today in the grocery store I laughed. I was the person I was always giving ugly looks to before. The person who was smiling, laughing, singing the song playing on the stereo, smiling brightly at people, saying excuse me and thank you with a BIG cheesy smile! Before I would groan and say "What the hell is that person on?" Now I think I know their secret! LOL. Few side effects. One is very dismaying, and that is it's difficult to reach the big O. I still make an effort to have regular sex and do enjoy it very much. I make use of the experience as a time of closeness and privacy, a time to share our deepest love without interuption, looking into eachother's eyes, etc. Minimal weight gain, about 3 pounds. Feel a little bloated, but not too bad. Although on the bright side, I'm actually thinking about joining the gym! OMG I haven't had that urge since I was 19! I do experience some nausea when taking the drug without food. It has greatly improved the quality of my sleep. I have sleep apnea which makes restful sleep something I don't get much of. For some reason since I started the Lexapro my sleep has greatly improved. I feel SO refreshed when I wake up from sleep or naps. I am always tired by the end of the day no matter how late I slept, and I LOVE THAT! Although I don't sleep in much, when I do I can easily sleep till noon, which can make it difficult to fall asleep at a normal hour that night. I sleep like a rock, and I wake up refreshed. I am a bit more sleepy then I was before, but that's okay. I was anxiety ridden before starting Lexapro. Even on a regular benzo for anxiety I was still riddled prior. Unable to nap, sleep correctly, or fall asleep till ungodly hours. I haven't seen 1 am in months! I love it! Sorry this is so long, but the poster asked for positive and I thought I would be thorough. I think it helps us identify with eachother better. If anyone has anymore questions e-mail me at ladaybrowneyez@aol.com If your considering Lexapro I would definately, definately reccomend it. Coming from someone with DIAGNOSED clinical depression and anxiety, and having been hospitalized for both three times. I have tried Paxil, Prozac, Wellbutrin, Effexor and Zoloft. Doses were tweaked, I stuck through with them all to let them work properly and was totally unhappy with all of them. When I had just given up hope my Doctor gave me a prescription for generic Lexapro and my life has been nothing but wonderful since. It took about one month to reach peak effects but the ride has been great. Every day I felt better and better, I wonder if it gets better than this? I felt change almost immediately. I know everyone says your not supposed to but I did, and I am not accepting that it was placebo with my history. I had no faith in A/D's when I started Lexapro. One last fairly bothersome side effect is VERY vivid dreams, some are quite disturbing. I am thinking of a way I can theraupeutically work through this. But the side effects are nothing compared to the wonderful things Lexapro has done for me. Anyone considering Lexapro I would tell you go for it. I've never felt better as you can see Again I apologize for the lengthy post!

PS Thank you for the information on Klonopin and Lexapro, as Klonopin is part of my regimen. And also for the note on constipation, I have been experiencing serious constipation but I did not think it was the Lexapro. I am also on Methadone which I thought was causing all the constipation.

rxqueen
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-16-2009 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Thank you's!!

JBStoltzfus is offline New Member

Default JBStoltzfus

I've had tremendous success with Lexapro. You've got to give it a proper chance.

I had several heavy stresses in life. I thought I had the flu but the Dr. diagnosed me as having Severe Depression. He strarted me on 10mg Lexapro. Oh Dear God that was hard. I was feeling Deppressed already, the side affectes made life very hard indeed including almost no sleep. I had a supportive wife who urged me on to stay on the medication or I may have quit. After 1 week on Lexapro I began taking Omega 3-6-9 and the B12 vitimin complex each time I took the Lexapro and things definately improved but I wan't much better.

After 2 weeks on Lexapro I had days that were a bit better but nothing to write home to mom about. I was getting more disappointed. I went to the Dr after two weeks and he prescribed a low dose of loranzapam for anexiety. I took one in the morning and one at bedtime and oh how sweet the sleep came (with out the heavy night sweats). By now most of the side affects have gone.

Three days later the sun began breaking through. I am not home free yet (only being on the Lexapro 3 1/2 weeks but I am able to work, laugh, attend functions, ride my motorcycle.

One more thing. We see all the horror stories of the people who quit Lexapro, many of them going cold turkey. I did researdh that indicates if the drug is weaned properly only 1/3 of the users have withdrawl symptoms more than a headache. So keep up the good attitudes!!!

This Lexapro is a God-send for me because with my depression I could barely go out of the house. I recommend you give the antidepressant enought time 3-5 weeks to work, and do the other good things that others have success with like supplements that help the brain.

Best wishes to all.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-31-2009 at 10:21 AM.

JBStoltzfus is offline New Member

I've had tremendous success with Lexapro. You've got to give it a proper chance.

I had several heavy stresses in life. I thought I had the flu but the Dr. diagnosed me as having Severe Depression. He strarted me on 10mg Lexapro. Oh Dear God that was hard. I was feeling Deppressed already, the side affectes made life very hard indeed including almost no sleep. I had a supportive wife who urged me on to stay on the medication or I may have quit. After 1 week on Lexapro I began taking Omega 3-6-9 and the B12 vitimin complex each time I took the Lexapro and things definately improved but I wan't much better.

After 2 weeks on Lexapro I had days that were a bit better but nothing to write home to mom about. I was getting more disappointed. I went to the Dr after two weeks and he prescribed a low dose of loranzapam for anexiety. I took one in the morning and one at bedtime and oh how sweet the sleep came (with out the heavy night sweats). By now most of the side affects have gone.

Three days later the sun began breaking through. I am not home free yet (only being on the Lexapro 3 1/2 weeks) but I am able to work, laugh, attend functions, ride my motorcycle.

One more thing. We see all the horror stories of the people who quit Lexapro, many of them going cold turkey. I did research that indicates if the drug is weaned properly only 1/3 of the users have withdrawl symptoms more than a headache. So keep up the good attitudes!!!

This Lexapro is a God-send for me because with my depression I could barely go out of the house. I recommend you give the antidepressant enought time 3-5 weeks to work, and do the other good things that others have success with like supplements that help the brain.

Best Wishes to all

tired123 is offline New Member

I've been taking lexapro (for depression) for 2 months and haven't experienced any changes. I went from 5 to 10 to 15 to 20 ml. I'm hopefully that it will eventually work, but thought I would ask if anyone experienced it taking this long to see changes?

Happy Mom is offline New Member

Smile

I would like to say that I agree with you completely. These medications are not to tree just the occasional bad mood, and I think that some doctors may prescribe them a little too readily. If you are someone you seriously suffers from depression, the temporary side effects that you will more than likely experience will definitely be worth the positive side effects that Lexapro can have on your life and the lives of your family members.
    I have been diagnosed with anxiety and paranoia. I am not the nut case that people typically associate with those terms. I am a married mother of two. I work 40 hrs a week as an office assistant. My husband is dedicated to me and to my children (we are not a perfect couple, we have had our problems, but are working through them).
    I have always been somewhat of a Debbie Downer. I tend to keep my hopes DOWN, but about three months ago I started experiencing anxiety. My husband works away from home for a week at a time, and during the weeks that he was gone night time was horrible. I would be petrified in my bed. Scared that someone was going to break into my house and kill me or my children. I was scared someone was stalking me, but I didn't know who. I was afraid someone was waiting in my house for me when I came home from work to kill me and my kids and leave my husband with a bloody nightmare when he came home. It got so bad that I would lock myself and my children into my room at night. They had to stay in the same room as me whether they were asleep or awake. They were not allowed out to play, because I was afraid someone would see us and know that we were alone without someone to protect us. I wanted a weapon to use for defense but was scared that when someone broke in to harm me that they would use it against me. I did keep a tee ball bat beside my bed, but I knew it would never protect me from the gun or knife that I was sure this person was planning on using.
    This rocked on for weeks, and finally I told my doctor about it. She recommended Lexapro for anxiety. She also recommended some counseling. I was soon diagnosed with paranoia (obviously). I have been taking 10 mg of Lexapro only once a day for 3 wks now. Almost immediately ( I would say within a few days) the thoughts began to fade away. I am no longer scared to take a shower, or to go to bed. I live in reality now, instead of the insane world I had unknowingly slipped into. I really felt justified in the way I was thinking.
    I have had a few side effects. Night sweats, nausea, some fatigue. However, they have all been mild. I wake up feeling like life is worth living. Not like I don't even want to brush my teeth or bathe my children.
    Lexapro has helped me. Please give it a chance. If it doesn't work for you then try something else, but it is definitely worth a try.

Paul G. is offline New Member

Default no side effects for me

I've been on a low dose (10 mg) for about 2 years. The most positive thing I can say of my experience is there are NO SIDE EFFECTS for me. I don't feel that the dosage is strong enough because I am not benefiting from it. Of all the meds I've taken for depression, Lexapro has been the one I tolerate the best as far as side effects go. I'm looking into taking something else with it. I'll keep you posted.

Quick update: I have doubled my dosage to 20 mg. (per my regular MD). The first day brought a dull headache, fogginess and irritability. Second day the headache and fogginess dissipated but I was still irritable. Third day feel fine physically....no side effects but no benefit either. Depression is the same as if I were still on the lower dose. I need to give it time. Seeing a psych next month to see if I can add another med to Lexapro or change regiment altogether. Stay tuned.

Continuing on 20 mg. for about a month now. No side effects. No benefit. No change. No nothing. The Lexapro alone is doing nothing but at least I tolerate it quite well. But there is no point if there is no positive change. It might need to be paired with something else. My regular doctor is hesitant to pursue this with me because he does not specialize in these meds. Saw a psych after a long wait but his arrogance and habit of answering his cell phone to talk with other patients DURING my session sent me reeling. I won't go back to see him. Trying to get in to see another psych but the waiting list for these clowns is 6 months long. Seems the more help I seek the worse it actually makes it. Unbelievable.

I'm so desperate for help but it's so hard to find someone who genuinely cares. 30+ years with this and no light at the end of the tunnel. Not only have I taken dozens of other meds but I've also tried so many other alternate treatments but nothing has even put a dent in this blackness. Hypnosis, homeopathic supplements, vitamins, Chinese herbs, exercise, neurofeedback, acupuncture, meditation, cognitive therapy, group therapy, prayer, self-help books and CDs....the list is endless. Why does it always come back to drugs? Why must I look to a pill to feel human? It's all so wrong and so sad. Okay, I'm done venting.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-08-2009 at 01:11 PM.

Now taking 3.75 mg of Abilify as an add on to the Lexapro. Started with 15 mg and I almost ate my hand off from the irritability it caused. Cut them in half to 7.5. Still awful side effects. Cut them again to quarter tabs....still antsy, restless, fatigued from this tiny piece of pill. How long until the side effects subside from Abilify? God I hate these retched things. I'm worse, not better.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-14-2009 at 04:02 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast