Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes
LEXAPRO = I want positive feedback only
    Paul G. is offline New Member

Okay. Abilify is manufactured in the deepest, darkest depths of hell. I could not tolerate that stuff even on a minimum dose. I'm done with it. I finally got into see a new MD and she is putting me on the Emsam patch. I have to wash out the Lexapro for two weeks before I can begin. So goodbye Abilify and Lexapro. Good riddance. Yet another drug and more empty hope. Let's hope I'm wrong.

Muffydog is offline New Member

Default Long-Time Lexapro User

I've been on some kind of SSRI for about two decades and on Lexapro ever since it came on the market. The most I ever took was 20 mgs. and that was for a very short time; mostly I just use 5 or 10 mgs. I have found it helpful except it is not great for the libido and can blunt the emotions. I have gotten off it several times; the trick is to make it VERY gradual and over at least six weeks time. I did not have withdrawal symptoms except eventually I became depressed again. Really, I would like to get off it but I have always relapsed in the past when I did. This time I am using some OTC 5-HTP to see if it helps and will prevent relapse. We will see.

harleybluz is offline New Member

My brother LOVES it. He had wicked panic attacks and depression and once this got into his system, approx 2-3 wks he felt whole again. It's been over a year and he is still doing great. Give it a try. So many people only want to tell you the negative things in life but you really have to try it yourself. You could be like my brother and have your life good again. Wouldn't that be worth the worrying you're doing now? You are not like anyone else so it's hard to put yourself in their shoes. BTW, I used to take mine at night and it helped me sleep. You might want to give that a shot. I always wait intil the weekend before switching from day to night just in case I don't sleep. Won't be as bad at work that way.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 10-07-2010 at 02:30 PM.

Ann2430 is offline New Member

I have been taking lexapro for about 7 months now. At first I had difficulty sleeping and it seemed like my anxiety increased a little (possibly due to the lack of sleep). However, after a few months it seemed like my body adapted to the drug and I now sleep well again. I haven't had any other noticeable side effects. I took Lexapro for mild depression/anxiety so I haven't seen any drastic changes, but I do feel that I am better able to cope with difficult situations and stress.

Overall I have been pleased with the results I have had from taking Lexapro. I feel that it helps to subdue some of my intense emotions so I can better deal with issues without being overwhelmed by emotions. However, I definitely still feel things and I am still able to cry which is important to me because I don't feel like a total zombie. I know that drugs work differently in different people, but I think my body/mind really benefits from antidepressants. I took paxil for 3 years in college and it completely changed my life for the better. I don't really want to be on a drug for the rest of my life or anything, but I am so thankful that there are medications out there that help so much.

However, I will say that I believe lexapro is a potent drug that is not easy to withdraw from. I stopped taking it for a few days this summer and after the third day I began to feel awful. I am not looking forward to the day when I really want to get off the drug. I do feel that I am in a way "addicted" to this drug even though there are no cravings or anything. So because of the withdrawal effects, I would only recommend lexapro to someone who seriously needs to be taking it. I'm not sure if I am one of those people or not, although I do feel I have benefited from it.

soulcandybt is offline New Member

Default Same story

Quote Originally Posted by clarkrrt View Post
    Can anyone share their experiences with starting these meds?
    I started 0.5mg Klonopin on Tuesday to "get my nerve up" enough to try the Lexapro. Years ago, I tried Effexor/Prozac which both were activating to me.
    It made me panic after the first dose. The klonopin is relaxing but not helping with my social abilities if you will. I've never taken anymore than advil and I'll admit, I am scared enough taking klonopin much less adding another med.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Wow, I've had the same exact experience (except I haven't tried Prozac) I was very scared to try both the Klonopin and the Lexapro, because Effexor gave me panic attacks. I'm in my 4th day now, and I just have to take it one day at a time. I'm taking Lexapro for high anxiety and moderate depression, and the klonopin for the anxiety in the mean time I guess until the Lexapro kicks in and to help me sleep. I'm just trying to take it day by day right now. It's not easy. But as long as I'm able to function and not having panic attacks I'm going to stick it out for a month. I'm also doing Cognitive Behavioral Therapy with my therapist and the "Attacking Anxiety and Depression" system at home. I wish you all luck and I will update with more info

soulcandybt is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G. View Post
    Okay. Abilify is manufactured in the deepest, darkest depths of hell. I could not tolerate that stuff even on a minimum dose. I'm done with it. I finally got into see a new MD and she is putting me on the Emsam patch. I have to wash out the Lexapro for two weeks before I can begin. So goodbye Abilify and Lexapro. Good riddance. Yet another drug and more empty hope. Let's hope I'm wrong.
    Thank you so much for sharing your struggle and your updates. I trully hope and pray for relief for you. (and me ) Please know that you are not alone.

PreyingMantid is offline New Member

I was on 5mg Lexapro for a little over two years.

At first it worked wonders apart from strong drowsiness in the first six weeks during which i would fall asleep at my desk in the afternoon. After that i was fine.

At first, it made me feel calm and relaxed and good. However i noticed it greatly reduced my heat tolerance and i was in a hot climate so i had plenty of opportunity to compare with how i'd been before taking it.

After a year i started to notice gradual weight gain and i also noticed that it reduced my motivation and flattened basically all my feelings. I was constantly fine but never great, but that was better than i had been while taking it as a result of a serious bullying and mobbing situation at a university department.

After two years on it i had such bad bloating, ibs, huge stomach where i'd had a flat one before, huge weight gain (30 pounds), low mental energy and motivation, worsening depression, and return of the obsessive thoughts, that i went off it. It only took me four days to taper off and apart from a little headache, nausea, and slight dizziness, i didn't notice any side effects. I noticed my heat tolerance improved immediately and the bloating reduced.

Unfortunately, i still haven't lost much of the weight at all, only a few pounds. I have been exercising and eating moderately. I am worried it has changed my liver or something, but at least the liver should heal, since it is supposed to heal amazingly.

I believe that for me this is a good drug, but only for shortish periods of time. Perhaps you should alternate with another. The only big problem is that i hope my metabolism gets back to what it was.

Nana-is-blessed is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I have to answer back on this. Please don't listen to all the negatives about Lexapro and give it a try. I currently am on it. I have been switched from Paxil. Paxil is another one that so many people said they had problems with and was a nightmare. I had only positive things to say about it. It helped me immensely with my anxiety disorder. In fact it changed my life for the better. It is a nightmare to get off of if not done correctly. I have been on Paxil for 4 years and my dr wants me to try something else. So it is Lexapro. I have had no side effects except maybe a few hot flashes which could have nothing to do with the medication. I don't have the sleepy feeling. Many of the side effects do go away after taking it for a while. I feel great!! I have found focusing on positive things and having positive people around me helps so much.
    Hello Griffin, I want to thank you for your positive side of Lexapro.. And I am glad you feel better.. I have not started taking it yet, I plan too.. I've tried Paxil, Prozac and Effexor. Paxil and Prozac made me secluded. Effexor kelp me in the bed. So I just gave up on any of the medications.. Once again, thank you.. God bless you and be bless with all He has for you!

lynn1954 is offline New Member

I had good experiences using name brand Lexapro and generic escitalopram.

I took name brand Lexapro from April 2005 through May 2009 (4 years).

I tapered off Lexapro summer 2009 and went without it for 6 months.

Then I took name brand Lexapro and generic escitalopram from January 2010 through April 2013 (3 years).

Now I'm tapering off it again.

Good experiences both times while taking Lexapro or generic escitalopram: they absolutely eliminated my depression symptoms.

Both times, it took 6 weeks for the medicine to take full effect.

I felt happy and more like my true self. Both times I started, I did have side effects: heart palpitations and racing heart, very mild brain zaps. These side effects went away.

The first time I took this medication was for general depression. The second time was for specific depression due to a relationship breakup.

The second time I took it, I started with name brand Lexapro then switched to generic escitalopram. For me there was no difference.

In my opinion based on what good doctors say, a person can stay or Lexapro or other anti-depressants their whole lives if that's what their body needs. It's similar to someone who requires medications for high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholestrol, or any other chronic illness.

Also in my opinion based on what good doctors say, a person might only need Lexapro or other anti-depressants short-term because of some stress or trauma they're experiencing.

Don't be afraid to start Lexapro or escitalopram if your doctor recommends it. Just notice whether the med makes you feel better, and notice how big or small your side effects are, and adjust from there.

Don't be afraid to stay on Lex or esc for a long time if that's what you need.

Don't be afraid to taper off and quit Lex or esc if you no longer need them or the side effects are too extreme for you. Taper slowly.

April 2005 through May 2009 was name brand Lexapro 10 mg tablet daily every morning.

Summer 2009 taper off was name brand Lexapro start at 10 mg tablet daily every morning, then 7.5 mg (3/4 of tablet) daily every morning for two weeks, then 5 mg (1/2 of tablet) daily every morning for two weeks, then 2.5 mg (1/4 of tablet) every morning for two weeks then none. Literally no problems and no side effects.

January 2010 through April 2013 (3 years) was name brand Lexapro 20 mg tablet daily every morning for about 2 years, then generic escitalopram 20 mg tablet daily every morning for about 1 year.

Current taper off was generic escitalopram start at 20 mg tablet daily every morning, then 15 mg (3/4 of tablet) daily every morning for two weeks, then 10 mg (1/2 of tablet) daily every morning for 12 weeks (not sure why I stayed at 10 mg so long, that's just the way it was) and now 5 mg (1/4 of tablest) for a week so far. It will be 5 mg for two weeks, then 2.5 mg for two weeks

https://www.drugs.com/answers/good-e...ic-702381.html

robertestokley is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by pfd572 View Post
    I used Lexapro for about 3 years and only problem I had was weight gain, lots of cravings, but helped pretty well. Recently, my neurologist put me on Cymbalta for depression, neuropathy, fibromyalgia. Now that is a HORRIBLE drug. After about 3 weeks I started have major wishes to die, non-stop crying, lethargic, stomach pain, leg cramps, nausea-major, to name a few side effects. So I would suggest trying the Lexapro and stay away from Cymbalta should your doc suggest. Good Luck. Everyone reacts differently.

Stay on lexapro it can take uo to 30 days to really work

Stay on lexapro 30 days

heck with weight gain ...exercise

ooops been on it 3 years....sorry

Obs
    Obs is offline New Member

Stick with it best med I've ever had for anxiety and depression

victor85 is offline New Member

Hi veronica. I took lexapro before and sympton repeated so o took it again.. my biggest problem is worry getting into sleep.. it is my 3rd week on 10mg.. will my sleep problem go away?

Default Lexapro

I have never taken any sort of AD - my doctor has me taking 5mg of Lexapro (generic brand) for a week then 10mg with a f/u appointment in 5 weeks. I am on day 3 - just wondering how long it will take until I start feeling better. Prescribed for anxiety, constant worrying, and all that goes along with that which causes me to feel down a lot.

Tess61 is offline New Member

It took me 1 month for me to start feeling better I had really bad anxiety attacks and depression,I started off taking 10mg and now I take 7.5mg.I have been on Lexapor for a year and a half...The side effects for me is weight gain which is making me more depressed..My next doctors appointment I plan on asking her to lower my dose to 5mg..How are you doing to far on your dose?

Mia1991 is offline New Member

Hi Veronica, I was wondering if years later you still felt the benefits of Lexapro and if you successfully stopped taking it at some point? Thanks, Mia

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123