Lexapro and Lupus
    llamakiss is offline New Member

Default Lexapro and Lupus

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with lupus (SLE) last summer, and about 4 weeks ago I started taking 10 mg of Lexapro. I'm in the process of upping the dose to 20mg. I'm just curious about the experiences of other lupus patients on this drug. I read that Prozac can cause "lupus-like symptoms" or trigger lupus flares in some patients, which is why I opted against that drug. I haven't read anything like that about Lexapro and so far my experience with it has been really positive. How about you? Any stories, concerns, thoughts would be appreciated..

Thanks!

jennisun22 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by llamakiss View Post
    hi everyone,

i was diagnosed with lupus (sle) last summer, and about 4 weeks ago i started taking 10 mg of lexapro. I'm in the process of upping the dose to 20mg. I'm just curious about the experiences of other lupus patients on this drug. I read that prozac can cause "lupus-like symptoms" or trigger lupus flares in some patients, which is why i opted against that drug. I haven't read anything like that about lexapro and so far my experience with it has been really positive. How about you? Any stories, concerns, thoughts would be appreciated..

Thanks!
    hello, i have had fibromyalgia for 18 years, and had come up positive on a lupus test back then, but am just now having a severe lupus flare-up- extreme swelling and pain in my feet, legs, knees, and those joints, and quick wieght-gain of 12 pounds in a few weeks. The doctor put me on prednisone now to try to reduce the swelling, along with a hydrochlorothiazide (a prescription diuretic.

He will then put me on celebrex. I asked him about lexapro, and he said he had concerns about it, and wanted me to see how other lupus patients are responding to it's use. Can you, and anyone else out there, please tell me if lexapro has been helpful, and for what conditions it helped, and what side effects anyone has had.

I saw that your letter was written in august, and wonder if you are still taking lexapro, and are you finding it helpful for pain management, mood swings, etc.?

I would appreciate any response from anyone who has fibromyalgia and lupus, and what treatments help you, and what medicines have not been helpful, or had bad reactions to anything. Are there any other groups you can refer me to?

Thanks to all, wishing all of us health and sunshine!
    Jenni in key west
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-28-2012 at 04:09 PM.

ct10 is offline New Member

Smile I take Lexapro and have Lupus

I am 32 years old and was diagnosed last September with SLE. I originally took Lexapro 20 mg for depression, once diagnosed with Lupus I changed to Cymbalta, dr. thought it might help some of the pain I was having. So wrong..... I did not like it at all, felt light headed all the time and it was not helping my depression at all. Went back on Lexapro 20 mg and it is working better than ever now. Good Luck to you!

DILE is offline New Member

Default DILE and Lexapro

One weeks ago my wife went from taking Lexapro to taking Lexapro Generic and the next day she could hardly move, she was in so much pain. She went to the Urgent Care and they did a full blood work up on her. Today we got the results that said she has Lupus. I immediately went on line and found out about DILE (Drug-induced lupus erythematosus). She has stopped taking Lexapro and will be seeing a Rumatologist on Friday. Everything I've read about DILE says that the symptoms will go away now that she has stopped Taking the drug.