Lexapro Withdrawals (advice please!)
    opheliatate is offline New Member

Default Lexapro Withdrawals (advice please!)

I am brand new to this site; literally made an account to post this exact thread. If anyone can offer me advice on how to deal with Lexapro withdrawal symptoms, it would be greatly appreciated. However, if you just want to share your own story, it would be comforting to me, even if I wouldn't wish these symptoms on my worst enemy.

Note: I might not be making a whole lot of sense... it's been very hard for me to focus/be coherent lately because of the withdrawals. Thank you for bearing with me!

Some background information: I have unfortunately been on just about every psychiatric medication under the sun. Literally. The only one I know of that I have not been prescribed is Thorazine, but I'm not sure they prescribe that one anymore? It all started with Zoloft when I was 14. They diagnosed me with a slew of mental disorders that all were symptoms of Bipolar Disorder type 1. However, I've been told they don't like to diagnose teenagers with that, so I was not properly diagnosed until I was 20 (I am now one week shy of turning 29). I don't remember all the names of every medication I have taken/have been prescribed unless someone names it specifically. That's how many I have taken, including anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, anti-anxieties, and sleep aids. I've also tried all the natural aids as well.

Anyway, my full diagnosis now is Bipolar type 1, Borderline Personality Disorder, PTSD, insomnia, Body Dsymorphoric Disorder, a non-specific eating disorder, and I have some bad anxiety (some of those go with Bipolar and BPD, I'm told), and then I have some medical problems (suspected endometriosis, multiple ovarian cysts, gastro issues, anemia).

I've been on Lithium for almost nine years now. My psych wanted to raise it, but cannot do so anymore because I'm testing high on my lithium levels (currently taking 1200mg). I also take 3mg of Lunesta as needed, 1 to 2mg of Klonopin as needed, a slew of vitamins for hormone imbalances, and either Vicodin or Norco or Percosets (they keep changing it) when I am on my menstrual cycle, and Zofran for nausea/vomitting.

One year ago, my doctor prescribed me Lexapro at 20mg daily. This started when I was in BHU, and it seemed like a miracle drug... until it stopped working. Last month (or maybe the month before that?) my psych upped my dosage to 40mg. Suddenly my depression went from bad to MISERABLE. I started cutting again, I was crying all the time, I isolated... well, I won't get too deep into it. I ran out of Lexapro before I could see my doctor again... just four days, and the withdrawals started. I didn't know what was happening to me until I saw my psych.

I started getting really intense migraines, abdominal cramping, painful diarrhea, really bad hot flashes, and what I guess people are calling "brain zaps". The last one... it feels like I am being shocked in the brain. My vision and my hearing cut out for a split second, and I can hardly walk. It was exactly so bad at first, just annoying and uncomfortable. But just today they got SO intense that I feel like someone is shaking me, and I cannot focus nor can I really do anything, but lay in bed just so I don't fall down. This is unrelated, but this is also my 15th day of having my period, so that cramping on top of everything else is a nightmare!

My doctor told me to stop the Lexapro immediately which was convenient since I had been off of it for four days. But when I mentioned the withdrawal symptoms (I didn't know it was related at the time), she offered to wean me off. I honestly just did not want to touch that >>>> again. Apparently, the brain zaps occur because my head is being flooded with serotonin again. That's what she told me. So she prescribed Abilify (I have been on it three times before, but not with my current dosage of lithium)... just half a tablet (so 5mg) then in a week, I'm supposed to move up to 10mg... and it's supposed to help with the withdrawals.

Does anyone know if that's true? Does anyone know of anything that can help? About how long will I be experiencing these withdrawals? I was on 20mg for a year, then 40mg for a couple months (I think that's the right timeline?). Please help! Any information would be deeply appreciated! Thank you so much! And again, I'm sorry if this post made little sense, I'm finding it very hard to write at all.

Please please please help!

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by opheliatate View Post
    I am brand new to this site; literally made an account to post this exact thread. If anyone can offer me advice on how to deal with Lexapro withdrawal symptoms, it would be greatly appreciated. However, if you just want to share your own story, it would be comforting to me, even if I wouldn't wish these symptoms on my worst enemy.

Note: I might not be making a whole lot of sense... it's been very hard for me to focus/be coherent lately because of the withdrawals. Thank you for bearing with me!

Some background information: I have unfortunately been on just about every psychiatric medication under the sun. Literally. The only one I know of that I have not been prescribed is Thorazine, but I'm not sure they prescribe that one anymore? It all started with Zoloft when I was 14. They diagnosed me with a slew of mental disorders that all were symptoms of Bipolar Disorder type 1. However, I've been told they don't like to diagnose teenagers with that, so I was not properly diagnosed until I was 20 (I am now one week shy of turning 29). I don't remember all the names of every medication I have taken/have been prescribed unless someone names it specifically. That's how many I have taken, including anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, anti-anxieties, and sleep aids. I've also tried all the natural aids as well.

Anyway, my full diagnosis now is Bipolar type 1, Borderline Personality Disorder, PTSD, insomnia, Body Dsymorphoric Disorder, a non-specific eating disorder, and I have some bad anxiety (some of those go with Bipolar and BPD, I'm told), and then I have some medical problems (suspected endometriosis, multiple ovarian cysts, gastro issues, anemia).

I've been on Lithium for almost nine years now. My psych wanted to raise it, but cannot do so anymore because I'm testing high on my lithium levels (currently taking 1200mg). I also take 3mg of Lunesta as needed, 1 to 2mg of Klonopin as needed, a slew of vitamins for hormone imbalances, and either Vicodin or Norco or Percosets (they keep changing it) when I am on my menstrual cycle, and Zofran for nausea/vomitting.

One year ago, my doctor prescribed me Lexapro at 20mg daily. This started when I was in BHU, and it seemed like a miracle drug... until it stopped working. Last month (or maybe the month before that?) my psych upped my dosage to 40mg. Suddenly my depression went from bad to MISERABLE. I started cutting again, I was crying all the time, I isolated... well, I won't get too deep into it. I ran out of Lexapro before I could see my doctor again... just four days, and the withdrawals started. I didn't know what was happening to me until I saw my psych.

I started getting really intense migraines, abdominal cramping, painful diarrhea, really bad hot flashes, and what I guess people are calling "brain zaps". The last one... it feels like I am being shocked in the brain. My vision and my hearing cut out for a split second, and I can hardly walk. It was exactly so bad at first, just annoying and uncomfortable. But just today they got SO intense that I feel like someone is shaking me, and I cannot focus nor can I really do anything, but lay in bed just so I don't fall down. This is unrelated, but this is also my 15th day of having my period, so that cramping on top of everything else is a nightmare!

My doctor told me to stop the Lexapro immediately which was convenient since I had been off of it for four days. But when I mentioned the withdrawal symptoms (I didn't know it was related at the time), she offered to wean me off. I honestly just did not want to touch that >>>> again. Apparently, the brain zaps occur because my head is being flooded with serotonin again. That's what she told me. So she prescribed Abilify (I have been on it three times before, but not with my current dosage of lithium)... just half a tablet (so 5mg) then in a week, I'm supposed to move up to 10mg... and it's supposed to help with the withdrawals.

Does anyone know if that's true? Does anyone know of anything that can help? About how long will I be experiencing these withdrawals? I was on 20mg for a year, then 40mg for a couple months (I think that's the right timeline?). Please help! Any information would be deeply appreciated! Thank you so much! And again, I'm sorry if this post made little sense, I'm finding it very hard to write at all.

Please please please help!
    I'm sorry you are going through this. I would go back on the Lexapro immediately and wean off very slow, the slower the better! I'm sorry, I don't know anything about the Abilify or if will help at all with the withdrawals? I know you don't want to get back on the Lexapro but I really think that's the best thing to do at this point, just taper very slowly so you can minimize or eliminate any withdrawal symptoms! Good luck and keep us updated? God bless us all!

Msrapid is offline New Member

I came here looking for answers to what my husband is experiencing and you've described it to a tee. He hasn't been able to move off the couch for 3 days now, sleeping patterns are way off and when he is awake he goes from being really vague to anger maxed out.
    He didn't plan to get off the meds, we moved and lost his script and couldn't get into the docs and anyway the withdrawal was unplanned.
    I finally found his script yesterday and got it filled again. He is going back on them and will work with his doc to come off when he is ready. Now that we know what the withdrawals are like we will be aware of them and plan accordingly.
    I hope your journey improves

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Agree with Ricky, I'd get back on the Lexapro at your old dose of 20 and see if you can't stabilize there. Also, your Lunesta and Klonopin "as needed", are you taking those more than once a week or so? If so, both those will contribute to brain zaps on the days you miss them. Even the painkillers you take on your period week, they will reduce the brain zaps, so the weeks you do not take them, you will be more prone to brain zaps and the other symptoms.

All those drugs feed into these symptoms if you don't take them very regularly. It's best to avoid taking Klonopin and Lunesta more than one day a week, preferably even less, because taking them more often will lead to severe symptoms if you stop suddenly. Taking them every day will make you physically dependent. If they are prescribed "as needed" then you really want to take very very rarely.

Rach87 is offline Banned

The best cure for all withdrawals is Kratom if you follow the safe guide amounts and don't over do it. My friend was on >>>>>> for a year and she just did this Kratom programme online and is nearly back to normal on her 3rd day!! It's like a miracle honestly. I've seen cold turkey and you wouldn't think she was even going through it. The best Kratom for withdrawals is red vein ones. It cost about £60 for the amount of powder they needed which is nothing to get you sorted right !! Please take this advice, it will cure you and ask me questions if need me

Linzum_k is offline New Member

I was on 60mg of lexapro when I stopped cold turkey. The withdrawl and brain zaps were pretty unbearable for a while. Especially within the first week. My psychiatrist said it could take a few months for the withdrawl symptoms to stop but the brain zaps aren't harmful. Luckily I don't recall it going beyond 3 weeks.

I recently went on 10mg of celexa and within 2 days started getting the same brain zaps I experienced while withdrawing from lexapro. Apparently it can be both an adverse side effect and a withdrawl symptom. Those celexa brain zaps ended within the first week of starting it. As unpleasant as it is to experience, it does subside and I've been reassured that it isn't dangerous.

It's always preferable to taper down rather than stop a medication abruptly unless the reaction is life threatening. In my case I was pregnant and lexapro was too risky to continue.

If I were you I wouldn't go back on the lexapro just to taper back down. The constant fluctuations might change the way you react to other medications. Since you're already on the abilify, I'd just stay with that and ride out the side effects and see it winds down.