liquid morphine
    me2000 is offline New Member

Default liquid morphine

I am concerned my sister is taking too much for her cancer. She is 32 and 140 pounds and new to liquid morphine. I can't get a hold of her doctor so could someone tell me what would be a good ballpark for her to take so I can guide her better? I know it's hard to say exactly but if I could know how much is too much, you know? Some general safety guidelines? Thanks.

TTTDogs is offline Member

Hello,

So sorry to hear your sister has cancer - my heart goes out to you.

Thought I would give you my feedback on liquid morphine - I was prescibed it for a rare kidney disease for 10 long years and just recently detoxed from it and have been opiate free fo 2 months.

She is most likely being administerred through a mouth syringe- ususally measuring mg/ml - she will build up a tolerance over time and need more to kill the pain, Is she under the care of hospice? - what are the doseges listed on the bottle - normally hospice patients start out at .25 to .50 and work up from there - not unusual to work up to a dose of 2.0 or more - gradually - what are the frequescy of her doses - every 4 hours or so?

Is she in endstage disease? that would make a difference as well.

Hope this helps a bit.

HUGS TTT

Anonymous Guest

hiya, hey i know a bit bout the liquid morphine as well.

depends on the mgs per ml, some are 1 to 1, but others get as high as 10 to 1

if your sister is nodding off, or being sick, it is possibly too much. but its a hard one, my uncle died of cancer this year, and they plied him with far too much as far as i was concerned. but cancer pain i have never suffered, and apparently it sucks big time, so as long as your sister is not in pain, that would be the main thing ay.

good luck mate, sounds like your sister has a great person helping her out.

cheeky

newyorkgal is offline Advanced Member

I have to say something here, about a very sensitive subject. I hope and pray the sister is not in endstage or that the cancer is even terminal. I am talking in generalities and not about the sister.
    If a person has terminal cancer, is in severe pain, is in endstage, what the HELL is too much? It drives me nuts that doctors hold back with pain meds for terminal cancer patients and you have to look far and wide for a compassionate doctor who isn't afraid. I mean, whats the fear? That someone will become addicted or even OD, 6 months before they pass? It's one of my biggest fears, the thought of being in terminal pain and not being able to be comfortable because some doctor holds back. It's cruel and inhuman to refuse meds because of fear of addiction or whatever stupid reason they give when that person is dying. I believe ANY drug at any amount should be used at that time of life. Death is as natural as life but when peoiple pass on in extreme pain, with ZERO dignity, when there ARE drugs that could help if given in the proper amount, something is very wrong. Cheeky, I don't believe your uncle was given too much. There is no such thing as "too much" when you're where you're uncle was at. I only hope he died in minimal pain. Both of my parents passed at home with hospice care. Thank God for hospice care, where they believe in pain management above all else, as long as you accept its the end and are finished with other treatments. Both of my parents were getting morphine type suppositories. I was there with both and they didn't seem to suffer and I am so grateful to the compassionate hospice workers and their drugs for that. If your uncle or any terminally ill patient was nodding and out of it, cheeky, so much the better.

Anonymous Guest

he was pretty wasted at the end. i talked to him about drugs, and his service in the RAF, he was on the gaza strip driving in the early 50's just after the war. and in northern africa somewhere.
    he still suffered tho, and it sucks to see someone like that. not fair alright.
    no, at one time he was on too much he was sick as a dog. he had two different doctors giving him opiates. the hospice one and his gp. it was crazy. but i was honest with him about where my knowledge came from, and i fed him smoothies and was just there with him.

me2000, as long as your sister is not in pain, she will know if it is too much. i am sure of that. i hope she can get thru this as best she can.
    sometimes when people are suffering like that, i really wonder about the so called god.
    i wish you and your sister all the best, and be strong
    cheeky

ok, if its to the point where you feel sick from it, then its too much. I misunderstood. I was just talking about stupid docs who underperscribe terminal patients because of the DEA or the government or whatever. Or they say they can't because the drug is "addictive". I highly doubt it matters when you are at the end of life if you get addicted or not. But yeah, I know what you mean. My mom always had a terrible reaction to narcotics of any kind. They made her too nauseaus and miserable. (I can't even imagine a bad reaction lol. The difference between the addictd and non-addict) If it makes you feel awful, then its too much but I meant it in a different way. I believe you should get as much as you need to feel less pain, no matter what that amount is.
    And cheeky, I have the same doubts as you. Its hard to watch the sufferinmg that goes on and believe at the same time. It's very hard and makes you wonder.
    NYG

Cats Meow is offline Platinum Member

OP, there's no way we can really say, there's so many factors such as, pain level, what and how much of what she was on prior, and for how long, and whatever else she's taking in addition. I guess the best answer is, what are the doctors directions printed on the prescription? I kind of doubt it's prn (as needed), she should be taking it as directed and no more, and I would think no more them qid (4 times a day), and it sounds like she should be on a CR of some sort in addition to the liquid morphine. If you give us more information we might be able to help you out some, but I advise you to go with her to her appts and express any concerns there, because of HIPPA laws they really can't tell you anything over the phone and without her consent, except maybe basic Rx directions.

How much is too much?
    Look for signs of OD, not being able to wake her, especially with a painful pinch, shallow breathing, if she's awake watch for stupor, nod outs, drooling, coordination problems. Google for more.
    Be aware there is a antidote for narc OD, it's called Narcan (Naloxone), all ambulances carry it, most people who OD and die fall into respiratory depress from too shallow breathing, they go to sleep and never wake up, it usually takes an awful lot of the drug for an opioid tolerant person to OD on, but everybody has a limit, morphine has no ceiling, it all depends on your tolerance.
    Hope this helps.
    Cats
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-18-2009 at 04:09 AM.

Cat, this is just a hypothetical question. Do you believe you can give a terminally ill patient too much pain relief? Of course, you can't give so much as to kill someone but to go just below that level, if necessary, well, I know if I were in that boat, my one concern would be to be pain free, at any cost. This is just the way I see it. If I were truly terminal and in pain, I would hope some compassionate soul would give me enough to be out of it and unaware. My tolerance is so high I wonder if there is enough in the world to help in that situation though.

kidmonster is offline Junior Member

This is a tough subject. If a terminally ill person is suffering , why hold back on the medication, however, if the person does pull through having to overcome an opiate addiction could make the hell that much worse...

Sure, you can give them "too much", they don't need too much, they need adequate pain relief, I believe they should have what ever they need to relieve their pain, of course limits have to be set.

kid, I'm not referring to someone who might pull through (even though they would deserve adequate pain relief too). I was talking about someone in hospice care with a limited time left. They say when pain med is used in that situation, you brain is in such a state that you don't get addicted in the normal way anyway. And in any case, you could worry about addiction after, but a compassionate doctor would help your pain first.
    I remember a Boston Legal where the father was definitely dying in an ugly, undignified way (the norm) and Candice Bergen (daughter) went to court to get them to up the morphine. It was unspoken that since there is no ceiling, it would eventually end it for him. Of course this is TVland and not real life but she won her case, they increased his morphine and he died (but he was dying anyway). I personally think it was the right thing to do.

There was an episode of ER where a child was terminal (with end stage leukemia or something), at home, and hooked up to a PCM machine (or whatever its called) with a Dilaudid drip, and not getting adequate pain relief, even though he was unconscious, the doctor (George Clooney) could not up the titration, but the mom watched how he adjusted the machine, and got his code, she ended up increasing the titration with a single fatal bolus (purposely). What she did was/was not ethically/morally correct, that was for you to decide, but Clooney was the one who got in trouble. In my opinion, I don't blame the mom, but it helped raise the issue of children's palliative care. In the real world the mom would be tried for murder, and the doctor's medical license pulled. We have more sympathy and compassion for our animals quality of life at the end stage of life then we do people, and that's the crux of it.

Anonymous Guest

well i would have to agree with your last statement cats because i have seen animals put down who were suffering less than my uncle at the end.
    at first i thought they had him on too much, he was really sick and i was sure it was from too much, they had him on morphine and methadone. liquid and pills and he couldnt handle the both. oh and benzos too. and sleepers. it was ridiculous, that was in the earlier stages.
    in the end tho, i was tempted myself to give him a massive dose of morphine, which i had available. just to end his suffering. or methadone.
    its bloody awful watching someone die like that,
    and kidmonster, a terminal illness, is just that. you are going to die. so the addiction part is irrelevant...

alls i know is i hope no one else i know has to suffer that way. it sucks.

cheeky

actually someone over here got charged not that long ago for the very same thing, basically giving their loved one a fatal overdose to end their suffering. i think it was a son letting his mum go. it was really sad. he didnt go to jail in the end, but he had to go through a court case. i would probably do the same if it was my mum. or dad.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-19-2009 at 04:54 PM.