Metformin Side Effects
    Ratler is offline New Member

Default Metformin Side Effects

Hello Group ! Im a T2 diabetic and have been prescribed metformin 500mg x 2 / day. I have been taking the meds for about 6 months. After the first week I started aching all over with flu like pains. Stopped taking it , pain went down , sugars went up so I reduced dosage , modified diet. I have just stuck with fighting the aches and pains , was prescribed Januvia before and it made me hurt worst. But aafter taking metformin for a month or so I started getting a felling in my throat like I was beginning to have problems swallowing. Just barely noticable at first and got worst some time later. Now the swallowing problem has reached a point where its there but not getting any worst. But now a soreness has developes in my throat. Its not like a infected sore throat pain but like a pain in the muscles of my throat. Not a sharp pain like sore throat pain but a dull pain sort of around and behind my adams apple area. . I have an appointment with a ENT pyscician . But I just read where metformin can give a person throat pain. Does anyone think that my throat pain is associated with taking metformin ? Ratler

So far nobody has responded to my post regarding muscle pain while taking

Default Metformin , Januvia causing muscle pain

Group , So far there have been no replies to this post. I have stopped taking Januvia due to it might be causing pancreas cancer. Im back on Metformin 500mg x 2 / day and Im hurting all over like I have the flu. Januvia did not make me hurt this bad and controlled my levels better but I dont want to take it with the cancer findings. Does anyone know if my muscle pain is from Metformin or from having T-2 diabetes ? If I stp taking diabetes meds my aches go away but sugars go up. Has anyone else had muscle pains while taking Metformin ? Help ! Ratler

Ludmom is offline New Member

Default Metformin gives me a sore throat and muscle pain, Check for lactic acdosis

Quote Originally Posted by Ratler View Post
    Group , So far there have been no replies to this post. I have stopped taking Januvia due to it might be causing pancreas cancer. Im back on Metformin 500mg x 2 / day and Im hurting all over like I have the flu. Januvia did not make me hurt this bad and controlled my levels better but I dont want to take it with the cancer findings. Does anyone know if my muscle pain is from Metformin or from having T-2 diabetes ? If I stp taking diabetes meds my aches go away but sugars go up. Has anyone else had muscle pains while taking Metformin ? Help ! Ratler
    I get a sore throat with metformin. I also had arm and shoulder pain, unable to lift my arm over my head or reach behind me. I asked for a lactic acidosis test, but my doctor did not get around to ordering it for ten days. As I quit metformin and the symptoms went away, by that time the test was inconclusive, though still over the standard range at 2 .6. As 50% of patient as with lactic acidosis die, I did not care to wait around while she took her sweet time ordering the test.

Ludmom is offline New Member

Default sore throat, muscle pains

Quote Originally Posted by Ratler View Post
    I get a sore throat with metformin. I also could not lift my arms or reach behind me. A test for lactic acidosis ten days after I quit metformin was inconclusive at 2.6, but by then my muscle pain and sore throat were gone. I quit both metformin and the doctor who took her sweet time ordering a test for something that could have killed me.