Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Halstrommegan
Methadone switch to butrans patch
    Halstrommegan is offline New Member

Default Methadone switch to butrans patch

Hi I'm looking for advice I'm switching from methadone to butrans patch I was taking 100 mg and have slowly tapered down to 60 I want to know if it's safe to take both without getting precipitated withdrawals my doctor said it is but said I couldn't do it at 70 and had to lower to 60 is he right I don't see why 60 and not 70 and can you even mix the two? Sorry if this is a repeat subject I'm new to online discussions and this site and don't know if I'm posting properly. Please if you can help me I do appreciate any advice and experienced with the subject. If there's maybe a better way I'm also open to suggestions.
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Halstrommegan View Post
    Hi I'm looking for advice I'm switching from methadone to butrans patch I was taking 100 mg and have slowly tapered down to 60 I want to know if it's safe to take both without getting precipitated withdrawals my doctor said it is but said I couldn't do it at 70 and had to lower to 60 is he right I don't see why 60 and not 70 and can you even mix the two? Sorry if this is a repeat subject I'm new to online discussions and this site and don't know if I'm posting properly. Please if you can help me I do appreciate any advice and experienced with the subject. If there's maybe a better way I'm also open to suggestions.
    Holy Moly! He's is dead wrong! The good news is that you can safely switch to the bup. You need to stop the mdone until you go into moderate to severe withdrawal. It's apt to take a few days but you can't go by time. The best and only way is to wait for your withdrawal symptoms to begin and then wait until you are good and sick. Look for and review the COWS. It's a system that assigns a number to each of the typical withdrawal symptoms. Add up the numbers you've given yourself and wait until you reach a 26. Only then will it be safe to begin the bup. Everyone is somewhat different but because of the long half life of done, it's going to take awhile.. Sorry.

Are you planning on tapering off? If you are, can you get tablets instead? You should find and read Roberts Sub Taper Plan. It calls for 25% reductions every four or five days. Your first reduction will take longer coming off of the mdone. Find the plan and read it and then ask questions. The hardest part is inducting (taking your first dose). What strength are your patches and how much did your doctor instruct you to take?

Sorry if I've alarmed you but you don't want to begin the bup too soon. Post again soon and Welcome!

Peace,

Cat