Need help getting off Suboxone
    JLKL is offline New Member

Default Need help getting off Suboxone

i've been opiate dependent for 20 years about, the last of it was the worst, I was abusing anything and everything taking way more than I should. I went on the suboxone program about a year ago,to get off of all of that, and i've been sucessful, except now im ready to get off of suboxone. im on 8m/2mg strips, twice a day..i started off with the pills but they switched it to strips recently. i've had to pay dr visits, and the presciprtions out of pocket due to funds, and its getting harder and harder to pay for them, when i've been short money and didn't have any, I'd go through the painful withdrawals and felt like I was going to die. I'm starting a new job, and can't afford to go through withdrawals of quitting, and i've been reading the posts on here about the sucess of people tapering off, I'm hoping someone can help me, the posts on here talk of tapering with the pill form, im not sure how it applies to the strip form. Can anyone help me with a schedule and how much to cut back?

Robert_325 is offline Retired

You've been taking WAY too much sub but most drs do that to people and that's why they end up here. Makes me mad drs do this to people. You need to start tapering immediately. Dropping from 16mg you can drop pretty quickly at first. I would drop to 12mg tomorrow. You won't even notice it. Post over the next few days and let me know how you're doing.

You should plan on reducing by 25% of your current dose at the time every four days or so. Then we'll make adjustments as you go forward. I've done this a thousand times and know how to do it. I just need you to follow the instructions and we'll have you clean off the subs in about 90 days with little discomfort even considering you have been on way too much. Stay in touch if you want my help. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

thanks robert, i plan to start this, my problem I gotta go to the pharmacy, i took my last strip yesterday, so i havent taken this mornings dose yet.

i probably should have mentioned, i have a dr's appointment on the 28th of this month, i wanted to talk to him about tapering off. i've been reading about switching to subutex, i tried with my dr before but he discouraged it, but i cant afford the pills. is that a good option if i want to taper off of anything, if he goes for it, to switch? im kind of upset with my doctor because my appointment was changed, so now that I can't go until the 28th, I only have enough of a prescription to get through a few days, i talked to the pharmacist and he will give me 7 strips, which gives me 10 to get through until the 28th, and i've called the dr repeatedly because like I said, I start work on weds, and I do not want to loose this job, they are so far and few between these days, and I have a family and we're struggling to keep a roof over our head. but they have no availability until the 28th. will this affect the tapering only having 10 strips?

JLKL ....... Doing this the way I'm telling you to do it ten will be enough until the 28th appointment. Main thing is starting the taper NOW .... TODAY!!! Trust me you'll have leftovers if you do what I say when the 28th gets here. I'll have your dose way down to a reasonable level. You'll just have to trust me. But start the taper now and drop to 12mg today. You have enough for that, then go get the others from the pharmacy. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

alright, got the prescription, i took one strip then i take the other one minus the 25% in a few hours, and I do this for four days..ill keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by JLKL View Post
    alright, got the prescription, i took one strip then i take the other one minus the 25% in a few hours, and I do this for four days..ill keep you posted.

NO!!! One strip is 8mg. Cut the other strip in half. That is 4mg or 12mg for the day. And starting tomorrow split the total 12mg into two equal 6mg doses. You want to keep the doses equal.

HenryNCBA is offline Advanced Member

Hey JLKL,

Just wanted to chime in. Only advise I can give is to make sure you listen to Robert's recommendations VERY closely. I keep saying and will so again that subs are darn powerful little meds and many do not realize what a narrow spectrum of use they adhere too. Too much or not enough and you will not feel well. Stay right on the edge of that fence centered and true and that will lead you to your goal of being clean in the most trouble free and pain free way.
    Bottom line? Now this is going to sound funny but I am VERY serious as I found out myself when I tapered. Just follow directions period! No diviations. Same dosages agreed upon at the same times. That simple.
    I'll be checking up on you to see how you are doing.
    Hang in there you will be fine!

Henry

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

The strips are the best thing for tapering because they can be folded and cut and then folded again and again into small pieces. I promise you, 16 mgs. is ridiculously high. Doctors do it all the time because tthey don'tt know any better. I am a long time addict, methodone for 30 years, and as I tapered down, I never had any problem whatsoever. You won'tt nottice the difference at all unttil you get down to the low doses (4 mgs or even 2 mgs.). If you drop every 4 days you won't even nottice much difference tthen. The main thing is get off that 16 mgs. now. It's way more than anyone needs.

ok so far so good

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

and it will continue to be good until you're down to the low doses and maybe it will still be good even then. Many here have tapered off with little tto no problems. I hate the doctors who perscribe this stuff. Most of us started at 12-16 mgs. which is just plain dumb and unnecessary. I guarantee 16 mg., 8 mg., 6 mg. - they all feel exactly the same.

ok..i did alright on the 12 mg..last night i got a bit of anxiety,do i need to start a new dose tomorrow? the pharmacy gave me pill forms instead of strips for some reason, so right now i have four pills left.

Quote Originally Posted by JLKL View Post
    ok..i did alright on the 12 mg..last night i got a bit of anxiety,do i need to start a new dose tomorrow? the pharmacy gave me pill forms instead of strips for some reason, so right now i have four pills left.

It's been long enough that I would drop to 8mg tomorrow. Stay there four days and you should be ready to reduce to 6mg. You'll start feeling much better once you get stable under 4mg trust me. God bless.

i was cutting down, doing good except the anxiety.. but now we have some drama around here, i had enough to last as you said, but a neighbor came in and used the bathroom and now i have only one pill left..the rest dissapeared. im clueless now, i dont want to go through what i have been going through, i need to function. im screwed, i dont know what to do..i got one pill, an appointment the 28th, im scared, i cant go through the withdrawals

another couple of questions..

im calling the dr tomorrow trying to get an appointment if there is any cancelations, im not optimistic about it, but if i cant go to the dr, if i go to the ER i know they won't prescribe suboxone, do er's prescribe subutex?

i've talked to detox people and people who have gone off of things, and some people don't seem to recover from it, because the receptors in their brains have been burned out..ive been on opiates for so long, im afraid my receptors arent reproducing anymore..is there any other kind of medication to take or what happens after i stop taking everything, what will happen with my receptors, do i have to take some sort of vitamin or something so im not going through life, all blah? to replace the burned out receptors.. there was a period when i wasn't on anything, and i was like that, blah, didn't care about anything, will I be that way again?

Normankay is offline Member

You have done opiates for so long that you really need to get to a recovery based program. As addicts you know what I mean we are used to instand gratification. We want to be off drugs and we want to feel perfect right now. The bad thing about a lot of opiate addicts is that they sit around not trying to do anything about it, hoping that out of nowhere they are just going to feel ok. You have to get out, talk to new people and do exciting things to start to stimulate the receptors. The gym will work, but you really need a complete lifestyle change and even more you need to not be affraid to try new things and open your mind to new ideas. Without a complete change chances for going back to what works easiest is what most people do. Most addicts don't recover. There are a lot of drugs that a lot of my friends take in the anti-depressant category and a lot of them started off doing good and ended up worse off than they were before. I don't know if it is the anti depressants or what exactly it is, I just know they change quickly and not always for the better.

alright..managed to get in today, got my new Rx..doctor didnt go for subutex of course