New to fentanyl
    Ct1986 is offline New Member

Default New to fentanyl

Hello everyone! I'm a chronic pain patient. I'm currently in pain management which surprisingly is amazing at accommodating my needs to be at a comfortable level of pain. In the last year I've been prescribed Vicodin, Percocet, BuTran patch, dilaudid, OxyContin and exalgo er! BTW exalgo er works great but was way too expensive! I also have a very high tolerance to pain medication which is the reason for ALL those narcotics prescribed within one year! Anyway I called PM today because I refuse to pay 400$ for a month supply of meds when yes it worked great BUT I am on 12 medications as it is! (for other reasons, I can go into detail if anyone is interested) I also have two children! So I told them yes it worked, not paying that much and they did agree that there's other pain meds that can and will work just as good if not better for much cheaper! So I got prescribed fentanyl 25 mcg every 3 days. I'm happy to have around the clock relief IF it works and I'm hopeful that it will, my husband is actually on his way to pick it up now. I'm curious from any of you how well it works for you? How fast did or does it takes to get into your system? I know everyone is different I'm just looking for personal experiences. And please don't reply if you're a person who uses and abuses the system to get high! I have no respect for people like that because for those of us just trying to get by day to day at a comfortable level to live a normal life or at least try anyway, you have ruined the system and now US people who are in pain for legit reasons have to suffer until we try almost everything else to be pain free which I know pain free does not exist but you know what I mean. While all the rest of you sit there and get high which I don't understand because why would you want to live your life that way? All you're doing is potentially killing yourself! ( sorry for the rant but I had to get it out if my system )

Good morning everyone! Can anyone help me? I placed the 25 mcg on my upper left shoulder/back. And a little over 12 hours later I feel "ok" I guess but it's not going to cut it with my pain everyday IF it stays at this level, I'm going to give it the full 24 hours or the full 3 days I do have 2 mg dilaudid to take every four hours until this works to the fullest and if I have to I can take two of the dilaudid.

dreamingfree is offline Member

Sorry not sure if your still checking in, its been a couple weeks. I was on 37.5 every 72 he's of the patch. It worked well for about a month but I found I built up a tolerance very quickly so it stopped working for the full 72 hrs. In the summer the patches fell off and I didn't always know it had fallen off so I went into WD and was so paranoid someone in my house would get it stuck to them. When it stopped lasting the 72hrs I would start to experience some pretty wicked WD...way way worse then missing a dose of oxy or anything else. The patches also increased my tolerance for my breakthrough meds. After a couple months I decided all things considered it wasn't worth it for me. Hope you have better luck.

Sounds like you have really been through the gammit pain med wise. Just curious as to what condition you have that causes such suffering that fentynal is an option. Have you found any non narcotic med options in addition to what you are on for relief? I really hope you find relief. Best wishes with everything.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 11-18-2013 at 08:14 PM.

Hi! Thanks for your responses! Since the last post I was once again changed to a different medication. He put me on opana er 20 mg bid and dilaudid 2 mg tid and it seems to be working out pretty good! My medical condition is bechets disease I've been sick since 2011 but have had an out break since February of this year and my life has turned upside down! Not a lot of people know what the disease is because it's very rare in the US! It's an auto immune disorder. It causes ulcers in the mouth/genitals (it's not std related) GI problems, joint pain and inflammation, skin lesions, neurological problems and so on! I've been hospitalized for this a handful of times. I've also been on prednisone, humira, colcrys. Right now I'm on imuran, humira injections, and I might be getting infusions of remicade but I'm not 100% sure yet. I also have plenty of back problems but usually injections take care of that unless I'm having a flare like I am at the moment. Anyway if you have any other questions or advice I'm more than happy to answer and receive I'm only 27 I'm married and have two beautiful boys and thank goodness for an awesome support system from my family! I was working as a nurse on a trauma unit when all this started and I'd do anything to go back to work!!! That's just a little bit about myself! Take care

Lord, that does sound horrible. I hate cortizone, I really feel for you on the predisone, that is a horrible drug. I was on it once, made me feel like that I was going insane. I would much rsther take pain killers anytime than that nightmare of a drug. Do u still have to take it? Hope you are feeling better.