Results 1 to 7 of 7
New Job, still on Methadone, freaking out!
  1. #1
    anfpak is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3

    Unhappy New Job, still on Methadone, freaking out!

    Hey all,

    I just recently accepted a job offer for a LOT of money for a contract position at a very large Oil company.
    I believe from here, I will go through the drug testing with the Oil company as if i were an employee.

    I just started a 6 month methadone treatment about 4 months ago, switched to maintenance 2 weeks ago, and am currently on a plan to be weened off in the next 2 months. currently on 65mg, i have no other drug use.

    ANYWAY, i am completly freaking out because the last job i took with an oil company in california used a 10 panel, which means it WILL show up.

    My issue is that these jobs are considrered "high risk" or something, so they require that you give your employer a copy of ALL medications you are taking. RX or not. EVERYTHING. and there is no option NOT to.

    So, assuming they do a 10 panel here, they will find out AND i have to give a copy to my employer. I even have to sign a form that gives the drug testing faclility the right to send my results (everything they found, not just "illicit" drugs) to my employer.
    I hate california.

    Am i screwed? they say they cant deny employment because of an RX, but it happens all the time.

    What do i do?

  2. #2
    Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    12,748

    Default

    If they do a ten panel test the methadone will show up. As a past employer of people with jobs that could place others' safety at risk, I can tell you that certain jobs require the employee to be on no narcotic medications and it's legal. It can be placing others' safety at risk and you don't have the legal right to do that whether you are bettering yourself or whatever.

    Example ...... HIPPA laws don't apply to a huge crane operator on the docks loading barges with a bunch of longshoremen's lives on the line. It doesn't matter if you have a legal RX or not, you wouldn't qualify legally for that particular job. I wouldn't want to be on the ground with a crane operator over my head lifting huge containers weighing tons and placing them in my vicinity risking my life nor would you.

    It would be different for a person doing filing in an office. But you have to look at both sides of this deal. If you are facing a drug test as a condition of your employment there is no way you can get off the methadone soon enough to beat a ten panel drug test. Sorry but that is the law. God bless.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 06-21-2011 at 03:43 PM.

  3. #3
    anfpak is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    If they do a ten panel test the methadone will show up. As a past employer of people with jobs that could place others' safety at risk, I can tell you that certain jobs require the employee to be on no narcotic medications and it's legal. It can be placing others' safety at risk and you don't have the legal right to do that whether you are bettering yourself or whatever.

    Example ...... HIPPA laws don't apply to a huge crane operator on the docks loading barges with a bunch of longshoremen's lives on the line. It doesn't matter if you have a legal RX or not, you wouldn't qualify legally for that particular job. I wouldn't want to be on the ground with a crane operator over my head lifting huge containers weighing tons and placing them in my vicinity risking my life nor would you.

    It would be different for a person doing filing in an office. But you have to look at both sides of this deal. If you are facing a drug test as a condition of your employment there is no way you can get off the methadone soon enough to beat a ten panel drug test. Sorry but that is the law. God bless.


    Thanks for the reply. So do the rules for these conditions blanket the entire company? I will actually have an office job that will mainly include just a bunch of computer programming. I know with other drugs (ie antidepressants, xanax etc) at my last job, i had to get a notice from my doctor saying it wont affect my job performance.

    What do you think my chances are being an office employee rather than someone actually in a high risk position? Do you thin the "no narcotics" will apply here? I am just hopeing it's not a 10 panel, but my last job was for sure (this was before the methadone tho). But if i dont tell them frmo the beginning and it IS a 10 panel, then i will fail. If I DO tell them, and it's a 5 panel lets say, then I will fail because I gave them proof.
    I cant believe i started this program. I would do anything to take that back.

    What do you think?
    Last edited by Anonymous; 06-21-2011 at 04:14 PM. Reason: more info

  4. #4
    Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    12,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anfpak View Post
    Thanks for the reply. So do the rules for these conditions blanket the entire company? I will actually have an office job that will mainly include just a bunch of computer programming. I know with other drugs (ie antidepressants, xanax etc) at my last job, i had to get a notice from my doctor saying it wont affect my job performance.

    What do you think my chances are being an office employee rather than someone actually in a high risk position? Do you thin the "no narcotics" will apply here? I am just hopeing it's not a 10 panel, but my last job was for sure (this was before the methadone tho). But if i dont tell them frmo the beginning and it IS a 10 panel, then i will fail. If I DO tell them, and it's a 5 panel lets say, then I will fail because I gave them proof.
    I cant believe i started this program. I would do anything to take that back.

    What do you think?


    I believe that you would be protected under the American's With Disabilities Act if you were only doing office work. I would be open and not try to deceive anyone as you haven't done anything wrong. I would go in prepared with documentation from my dr substantiating my claim and be prepared for them. Don't wait until after the fact and then try to come up with a defense. Definitely don't pray for a five panel test that you can blow through. Big companies mostly use the higher panel tests these days. I think your chances should still be good if you are under the care of a legitimate dr for cause and present the proper documentation from your dr considering you are not endangering anyone. That would be my defense at least. If this is the only reason they have for not hiring you I believe you have legal rights to keep that job based on your particular job description and responsibilities. Hope that helps. God bless.

  5. #5
    anfpak is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    I believe that you would be protected under the American's With Disabilities Act if you were only doing office work. I would be open and not try to deceive anyone as you haven't done anything wrong. I would go in prepared with documentation from my dr substantiating my claim and be prepared for them. Don't wait until after the fact and then try to come up with a defense. Definitely don't pray for a five panel test that you can blow through. Big companies mostly use the higher panel tests these days. I think your chances should still be good if you are under the care of a legitimate dr for cause and present the proper documentation from your dr considering you are not endangering anyone. That would be my defense at least. If this is the only reason they have for not hiring you I believe you have legal rights to keep that job based on your particular job description and responsibilities. Hope that helps. God bless.
    Thank you very much for spending the time explaining this to me. There is just about 0 information on these types of jobs on the internet, so this should hopefully help out someone else as well.
    I will go in with full expectations on holding my ground. The company is very excited to hire me and being that I only do office work I wont be putting anybody in danger.
    I just hate how companies these days make you sign paperwork that says they will pass off all ifnormation to your employer. Everybody will know about it, but hopefully that won't hurt my chances.
    My entire future (house, wife, etc..) are on the line with this job. So i'm praying all will be well.

    I believe honesty has got to be the best way to go.
    I already got a letter from the Dr explaining i'm on Maintenance.

    Thanks again.

    Regards.

  6. #6
    newyorkgal is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,687

    Default

    I also don't believe you will have a problem. Methadone maintenance programs are legal. If the job isn't high risk, I don't see how they can rescind their offer. I was on maintenance and while I never had a job that tested, I also don't know anyone who did test who failed to get a job because of being on a legal program. lf you aren't honest and they find out, you are done though so honesty is the best policy. Best of luck !!

  7. #7
    Snote is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    If they do a ten panel test the methadone will show up. As a past employer of people with jobs that could place others' safety at risk, I can tell you that certain jobs require the employee to be on no narcotic medications and it's legal. It can be placing others' safety at risk and you don't have the legal right to do that whether you are bettering yourself or whatever.

    Example ...... HIPPA laws don't apply to a huge crane operator on the docks loading barges with a bunch of longshoremen's lives on the line. It doesn't matter if you have a legal RX or not, you wouldn't qualify legally for that particular job. I wouldn't want to be on the ground with a crane operator over my head lifting huge containers weighing tons and placing them in my vicinity risking my life nor would you.

    It would be different for a person doing filing in an office. But you have to look at both sides of this deal. If you are facing a drug test as a condition of your employment there is no way you can get off the methadone soon enough to beat a ten panel drug test. Sorry but that is the law. God bless.
    What about someone who has Diabetes? It is just as self inflicted as someone needing to be on Methadone Maintenance. If they are required to be on insulin, then they will run the risk of passing out on the job, or being in an impaired mental state that would disallow running heavy equipment safely. I don't see how you can say, "I wouldn't want to be on the ground with a crane operator over my head lifting huge containers weighing tons and placing them in my vicinity risking my life nor would you." Without knowing more information about the very thing you're judging.

    The word narcotic etymologically leads back to meanings like "to cause sleep or stiffness". So, in people's minds, Narcotics put you to sleep or will cause you to react like "David after Dentist" which is just not accurate. I would leave the effects and side effects of these drugs to the doctors. If there is a reason to believe that a person you're hiring isn't physically capable of doing the job, send them to a doctor you choose to pass or fail a physical. Don't just assume you know anything about drugs or the people on them, well, ever. It only makes you look ignorant and could possibly lead you down a road of liability. Not to mention, you're unfairly and unjustly denying jobs to people who are trying very hard to get their life on track. Working within a program that very fitfully makes sure they are being of benefit to their patients and not allowing them to turn into drool faced junkies. I personally know people who have been in these programs that would work circles around your best guys, with more attentiveness and focus. So, please collect your own facts before you start handing them out.

    Also, the fact that you seem to think jobs that require filing aren't important enough to warrant attention or couldn't be undermined by the same things as a crane operator and with more disastrous results, shows your naivety and lack of understanding of any of this. Ask a person inputting doctor's orders if their attention can waiver for a moment. See if CPA's can mess up at work and it not cost them or their clients dearly. I don't know if I'm more upset at your ignorance individually, or the fact that you are a part of a system that is so full of misinformation and poor understanding. Sigh, if only one comment could fix anything...

Similar Threads

  1. tapering and freaking
    By LL82 in forum Suboxone Treatment
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-16-2017, 01:29 PM
  2. 17 hours in... and im freaking out
    By rainbowpoots in forum Prescription Drug Addiction
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 11-30-2014, 10:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22