Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
New to suboxen
    get clean1 is offline Junior Member

Default New to suboxen

Hello all
    I know there are several threads about this already, . Please help me with my individual case..somebody.here goes....
    Percocet user for about 2 years, got up to 10 pills per day. Started suboxen on Thursday September 10th. Doc gave me 2 week supply..28 pills 8 mg..says do 2 per day. today is my 5th day without a percocet.
    Took 2 subs the first day, and vomited, then felt better, I have felt fine since, using 1.5 per day. 3 times per day, until today, the 5th day, today I just did 1, split into 2 peices, 1 at 11 am, the other at around 4 PM.. I want to completely stop as soon as possible, without sub withdrawel. i saw several posts about this and am still confused. The doc scheduled another appt for 2 weeks from 1st visit to write a script for lesser dose. Do you feel i need to get this, or can i make it work with what i was given. I dont want to feel any w/d symptoms and so far so good. What tapering schedule do you recommend, please someone help me with a schedule to be completely done. im done with pills forever
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-14-2009 at 09:50 PM.

intelmetal is offline Senior Member

Default suboxone taper

GetClean1, You have enough subs to taper to zero. I have to run now, but will give you a plan tomorrow. Do not increase your dose from here on out. I will tell you what I think is best for you. I did a complete taper with 22 8mg subs, and I had a nasty methadone habit. I am pretty sure we can get you taken care of tomorrow, but I will have to ask you a few questions first. I will post on this thread in the morning.
    Good Night.
    Steve

Thanks steve

Default suboxone taper

get clean 1, It is going to be real close with the amount you have, considering what you have consumed so far. My advise to you, would be to only take this med twice a day MAX., as if has an extremely long half life. If you want to get off this ASAP then you should do no more than 8mgs (total) split into 2 equal doses for the next 3 days, then drop to 6mgs (total) split into 2 equal doses. You should spread the doses about 8-10 hours apart. I found that if you take your first dose mid morning and your second dose mid afternoon, it works best. Try not to dose after 4:00 p.m. if you are on a normal daytime schedule. Let me know if you have an unusual sleep pattern.
    It is important to dose at about the same time everyday, and never more than twice a day. Some people dose only once a day and are fine. If you want to be a little aggressive, now would be the time to do it, that way we can make the ending nice and smooth.
    I'll check back later.
    Steve

Thanks steve,
    I have a normal sleep pattern, I get up real early and go to bed around 10 ish. I could go see the doctor 1 more time, as he wants to put me lesser mg's. I would just rather not if possible to make it and still feel ok. I know from what i have read, it seems to try not to get fooled, as iam feeling fine right now, with just doing the 8mg split into two. I have exactly 18.5 subs left right now, with .5 still left to take for today. So you are saying to continue with the 8mg per day for the next two days, then on Friday, switch to 6mg..right?

RubyDean is offline Member

get clean, welcome. it sounds like you are really doing good. i really think you will do great on your taper, and we can offer you support and suggestions. you do the taper, and be done, and you wont ever have to get any more or drag it out. i have been on sub for longer than i wanted to, but i know it will only take me a little while longer. steve has been a good source for help and inspiration as he got it done, and did a great job. try your best to stick to the 25% reduction every 4 days, and you should do great. most of the challenges i have had to face were mental. It works easy if you cut your doses with a razor blade. Right now you just cut an 8mg pill in half. Next drop you will need to cut them in 4 equal quarters, giving you (4) 2mg doses. Then you will just need to cut one of the quarters in half in order to take your 3mg dose in the morning and late aftrenoon. Just get them as close as you can, and it gets easier the more times you do it. Stay connected. All the will.

Thanks Ruby and anyone else who can help
    I think im starting to get the idea, so on friday, i will change my dose from 4 mg twice per day to 3 mg twice a day, and do that for four more days, and then reduce to??? i noticed today i felt a little funky right before my 2nd 4mg dose

Default suboxone taper

get clean 1, You got the general idea down. After you do the 4 days at 6mgs, you will reduce to 4.5mgs for 4 days, 3.5mg for 4 days, 2.5mgs for 4 days, 2mgs for 4 days. Let's see how you progress and if we need to make any adjustments, we will address it at that time. Stay in touch, this is the right place to get clean.
    Steve

Thanks so much for the help, im so excited to be completely done, it cant come quick enough. still going to the gym every day, have plenty of energy. everything is going so well so far, its hard to believe that i wont feel bad withdrawels when these subs are finished

Default suboxone taper

get clean 1, just take it one day at a time and it will work out. I want you to remember that the reductions are fairly easy at the higher doses, so stay disciplined and follow the taper plan. I am not saying that you will have any problems as you get to the lower doses, but I want you to follow through with each reduction ( always be honest with yourself ). If you run into any problems, we can address them at the appropriate time. Keep your positive attitude, it will serve you well throughout this "process"!
    Keep posting.
    Steve

bev49 is offline Banned

Steve, thanks so much for filling the void. You're a real good guy. One of these days I'll let you bring me down the final .5, I promise.

Getclean, you're really doing great. If you follow Steve's advice, you will be fine, I truly believe that.

Thanks everybody,
    I am so happy I found this safe place... I look foward to any replies to my posts, as it continues to help motivate me. Its 8:30 am, I have not taken my first 4mg dose yet, and I am feeling absolutely normal. As a matter of fact, Ive notice as each day goes by, my mind seems to be clearer. I didnt wake up with the usual fog, or feeling of a mild hangover today. I forgot what it feels like to be normal..I think I like it
    Today is day 7 YAY
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-16-2009 at 07:39 AM.

RubyDean is offline Member

getclean, you are doing well. i have found that when i stay focused on making progress, and getting through the day without ever taking more than i need to, the better i feel. we do feel 'a little funky' at times before our next dose, but those times are important to push through, that is progress, and more than often just our minds playing tricks on us.
    as we string our days together at the given dose, those times fade away, and we become stable. we then are ready to make the next drop, and continue our taper plan. this is not a walk in the park the whole way, but it can be easier on us when we relax and push forward...the strives you make today, and each day forward will help you when you get towards the end. this is not a race, and tho our intentions are good, take it slow and steady. no doctor, no persons have i meet that know how this drug works like the people on this site. i feel very fortunate to have found this place. i tell my story so others can learn from my mistakes, as i have been on suboxone for 7 months, and am nearing the end.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-16-2009 at 08:54 AM.

Thanks Ruby,
    Im confused why yourself and many others on this site have been on suboxen for 7 months or longer, Is it because you did not know about the "fast Taper: program, or you needed to be on it for that long due to the length of your addictions,or there is still severe withdrawel to be had when i get down to a lesser dose, and I just dont know about it yet?? I have like 18 8mg subs left, and I have been told that I do not need to see my doctor next week for more subs, and that I should be able to make it work with what I have without a problem. Geeez 18 Subs left, if that was percocet 2 weeks ago, that would not have even been enough for 2 days

Default suboxone taper

get clean 1, I just did the math, and you will need a least 96mgs total. You said that you have 18 8mg subs left ( 18 x 8 = 144mgs ). That means you have a nice cushion right now, just stick to the plan and you will have plenty left over. Make sure you dispose of them when you are 100% positive you are done. Remember to be very honest with yourself throughout this entire process, it is the most important part of the taper plan. I have faith in you and know that you will do the right thing. If you have any trouble on the way down, just post here and we will help.
    Steve

bev49 is offline Banned

getclean, you're doing it the right way. People just have to deal with different issues in life. I've been on it over 7 months. Its not "right" but I have my reasons. I've come down alot. Started at a stupid 16 mg. a day which was unnecessary. I started taking 1/4 of a mg. (1/8 of a 2 mg. tab) once a day. I'm kind of older htan most people here, have a longer drug history, mainly methadone, also >>>>>>, valium, pills, whatever. I will tell you staying on long like Ruby or me is NOT the best thing. It will be MUCH easier to actually make the drop to 0 by staying on a shorter period of time. Some people are just fearful or sick. You keep up your good work.

Thank you so much intelmetal and bev49,
    I plan on sticking with the plan. Closing on a new home in 2 weeks, and I knew if i kept up my old habits, i would never have been able to afford my new life.. I will definately dispose of any leftovers at the end. What do you mean when you keep saying be honest with myself, do you mean dont do more subs than I say, and Iam supposed to?

Default suboxone taper

get clean 1, When I say "be honest with yourself", I am just trying to reinforce something that most addicts have had a problem with while they were using or abusing. No offense at all. When I was tapering, I had to be real honest with myself as it pertained to how much to dose, when should I drop, should I take a sliver, Am I really feeling withdrawals or is it just in my head, Is the addict in me trying to convince me to do something that I probably shouldn't. Those are the kinds of things that I had to be honest with MYSELF about. I guess I should just say to do the right thing, but I chose another way of phrasing it. No big deal, just something to keep in mind. It helped me win my battle.
    Steve

Steve,
    No offense taken at all!! I just wanted to know what you meant. I appreciate any advice you are willing to give. It is such a huge help!! I am totally new at this. I have only been without pills for more than 1 day, 1 other time, and that was because I couldnt get them. It was for 4 days, I did not have any subs, nor did I even know about them. It was extremely horrible. As Im sure with many addicts, That was one main reason I never stopped, due to the horrible feeling of withdrawal. I have been honest up until now, but i must admit, I am scared of feeling like ******** when I decrease my dose. Tomorrow I will be going from 8mg to 6mg for the next 4 days...then 4.5. Im sure I will feel some sort of discomfort..right?

Default suboxone taper

Wrong ! You will not even notice the drop from 8mgs to 6mgs, and that is a good thing for sure. You won't feel it at 4.5mgs either, trust me. I was on methadone for years without ever missing a day, then switched to subs on May 4, 2009. I only waited 52 hours from the time I took my last dose of methadone before taking 8mgs of suboxone. I took 8mgs for 3 days, then reduced to 6mgs (no problem) for 2 days, then reduced to 4.5mgs (no problem) for 4 days, then 3.5mgs (no problem) for 4 days, then 2.5mgs (no problem) for 4 days.
    Don't look for a problem that has not even happened. There is a GOOD chance that you won't have any problems. Just go with the 4 day and drop routine, and you will be fine, especially at the higher doses. We are all here for you whenever you need answers, just ask.
    Later.
    Steve

bev49 is offline Banned

Steve, I am NOT stepping on your advice. Just seconding what you said. Steve was on methadone a long time. I was on methadone even longer. I'm on well below 1 mg. and never felt any of the drops. I was lucky as could be that I didnt so have no fear. Really, this med is different. You will feel NOTHING. I understand fear of w/d. I have nightmares about it; hence I'm still on my low dose after too too long, but til now, its been a breeze. Forge ahead and be fearless this time. Honestly, you can.

Thanks again guys,
    Just prepped my next 4 days of subs...Impossible to cut them with a straight edge without losing some powder..anyway, im sure its fine. Everyone is such an inspiration.. Still enjoying the clarity of being straight.. Much sharper now, especially at work.. My employees keep asking me whats wrong..why am i acting different. To bad I cant tell them its because im totally straight now

BlackKats is offline Member

I have been off subs for 19 days now. Was on them 52 days, start to finish. My landing was a little rough, but that was my fault. I was in a rush to finally be off of the dam stuff. Do the 25% reduction as stated, and you will do fine. The last doses are very important. Go slow, and you will do just fine.

Gary

bev49 is offline Banned

Good job, Gary... As far as cutting with a straight razor, I personally find it too much of a pain in the ass. I have been breaking the 2 mg. pill into 8 very tiny teeny pieces. I realize they arent all exactly the same size but I feel like the half life is so long that it all equals out in the end. When I was breaking em into 4 it was the same thing. So I wasn't taking the same amount every day but I was taking 2 mgs. in 4 days and it caught up. All I know is I have yet to feel a w/d symptom so somthing is working right. It is a bit nerve wracking I admit. Breaking them into 8's sometimes makes me think I can't be getting much of anything but this stuff is so strong.

Thats great bev.. So your on less than 1mg per day..wow, how much longer do you do that for?? do you think it is even doing anything for you, or is it just piece of mind? and you recommend breaking them by hand into that small of pieces? ok I will try it! Congratulations to you.. Today is day 9 without a percocet..Ive already saved myself a ton of $$$..so excited to be like a normal person...somewhat

bev49 is offline Banned

It is DEFINITELY doing something. I was addicted to opiates for over 40 years. I'd be dying if it wasn't doing something for me. Also, something people don't realize is that this stuff is like 40-50 times stronger than morphine or so they say. Its weird because you don't feel it. And we're all used to "the more you feel the more it is". How much longer, that is a sensitive topic. I have not following the traditional school of thought about getting off this in a few months. I've been on it 13 months now. I'm 60, not too healthy and afraid of full w/d. I have managed to get off a long term methadone program and have gotten down to this low level but I guarantee its doing something psysical as well as peace of mind. I DONT necessary recommend breaking them by hand. Its the way I do it but it might cause some people stress, not being sure there getting a specific amount and I don't want to do that. I also dose 1x a day. Not the recommended way. You should probably follow the advice of someone who's totally tapered. I am glad to support you along the way in any way I can. I am just doing this in an unconventional way which has worked for me thus far but again, I havent totally finished. Great job on 9 days off the pills!!!!!! We are striving for normal - kind of

Thanks again bev, Man, you could drive yourself nuts looking on the web about the subs.. I was just reading..some people speak of the withdrawel of subs as worse than any other drug?? Does anybody know the amount of time it takes to become addicted enough to subs to suffer withdrawel, if starting like say I did with 1 8mg pill, and tapering down 25% every 4 days?? I think in my case, after using vicodin or percocet for about 2 years (no other drugs) And I was up to about 10 500mg pills per day, that after 9 days, the physical addiction would be gone? or close to it..am i wrong? Thats probably the question of the year..how long does it take to become addicted to subs.. I can understand for those that have been on it say over 6 months

Hey Everyone,

Today the last day at 6mg, Tomorrow I go to 4.5 mg for 4 days. Then what dosage it it..Im still feeling great

bev49 is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by get clean1 View Post
    Hey Everyone,

Today the last day at 6mg, Tomorrow I go to 4.5 mg for 4 days. Then what dosage it it..Im still feeling great
    Getting addicted to sub isn't the issue. It's a narcotic. You're coming off another drug you're addicted to so the addiction transfers over. HOWEVER, the trick is this: If you take the sub then taper the sub in the proper manner, per the plan advocated by Robert, you give yourself time to first, let the DOC leave your body while the sub replaces it and second, let the sub leave your body in such a way ("the taper") that you don't feel the withdrawal from them to any great extent.

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Quote Originally Posted by get clean1 View Post
    Hey Everyone,

If you drop by 25% the new dose would be 3.375mg. See how good you're feeling at the end of the four days. You can be a little agressive if you're doing really well and go down to 3.25mg. If it's going a little tougher then hold it at 3.5mg.

We have to use our own judgement a little here too. No one but you really knows how you feel. Try to react accordingly. And post with any questions. Hope that helps. God bless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast