Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
New on Wellbutrin... I need some reassurance...
    Janeparker87 is offline Junior Member

Default New on Wellbutrin... I need some reassurance...

Hi everyone , I've been reading here (and everywhere else, really) hoping to get some answers.
    After 5 years of knowing that I was severely depressed I finally stopped trying to convince myself that I could get out of this alone and finally went to seek help. I was diagnosed with severe depression and mild anxiety. Since lack of energy is my biggest problem, even more so than feeling hopeless and like I don't care if I live or die, my psychiatrist recommended bupropion (I was also very afraid of the weight gain associated with other ADs since I don't have a great relationship with my body).

Now this is where it gets tricky. First of all, I'm from Europe and my medication is called Elontril but they said it's sold in other countries as Wellbutrin XR. I've been reading about the XL and SR versions so I'm not sure if mine translates to any of these. It says modified release pill on the box... I'm really confused. What IS this? Anyway, I've been taking 150mg once a day (in the morning). Today is the 2nd day.

What is really worrying me is that I've been feeling kind of tired after taking it. I'm already tired the whole day usually, but now I've been yawning constantly and everything. I know it takes weeks for the medication to fully work but I keep reading stories of people who felt a boost of energy on the very first day. I was even prescribed sleeping pills (I also have really bad insomnia) but if anything it's making me sleep better at night. No energy boost, no jitters, no other symptoms at all. I think I might feel a little more irritable but I'm not even sure. I also feel worst because my negative mind is saying "of course the only drug that doesn't make you gain weight wouldn't work for you, you just can't have good things happen to you".

It's only been 2 days, I know, but I think this is a bad sign. A stimulant isn't supposed to make you sleepier. I would really want to know if there's any of you guys who didn't feel anything at first. Particularly the energy thing, and if it got better. I'm sticking to it but I'm feeling really hopeless about this...

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hello Jane, welcome to the forum..I have no knowledge with Wellbutrin but others here will be by to support you and share their experiences with you. Hang in there.

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Janeparker87 View Post
    Hi everyone , I've been reading here (and everywhere else, really) hoping to get some answers.
    After 5 years of knowing that I was severely depressed I finally stopped trying to convince myself that I could get out of this alone and finally went to seek help. I was diagnosed with severe depression and mild anxiety. Since lack of energy is my biggest problem, even more so than feeling hopeless and like I don't care if I live or die, my psychiatrist recommended bupropion (I was also very afraid of the weight gain associated with other ADs since I don't have a great relationship with my body).

Now this is where it gets tricky. First of all, I'm from Europe and my medication is called Elontril but they said it's sold in other countries as Wellbutrin XR. I've been reading about the XL and SR versions so I'm not sure if mine translates to any of these. It says modified release pill on the box... I'm really confused. What IS this? Anyway, I've been taking 150mg once a day (in the morning). Today is the 2nd day.

What is really worrying me is that I've been feeling kind of tired after taking it. I'm already tired the whole day usually, but now I've been yawning constantly and everything. I know it takes weeks for the medication to fully work but I keep reading stories of people who felt a boost of energy on the very first day. I was even prescribed sleeping pills (I also have really bad insomnia) but if anything it's making me sleep better at night. No energy boost, no jitters, no other symptoms at all. I think I might feel a little more irritable but I'm not even sure. I also feel worst because my negative mind is saying "of course the only drug that doesn't make you gain weight wouldn't work for you, you just can't have good things happen to you".

It's only been 2 days, I know, but I think this is a bad sign. A stimulant isn't supposed to make you sleepier. I would really want to know if there's any of you guys who didn't feel anything at first. Particularly the energy thing, and if it got better. I'm sticking to it but I'm feeling really hopeless about this...
    Hello Jane - I have some personal experience and knowledge with/about wellbutrin. Give me an update so I know that you are checking your thread here? Once I see you have updated I'll leave you a more detailed reply with my thoughts and suggestions! Take care... God bless us all!
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Hello, and thank you! Hopefully I'll be able to get some support and also give mine to others over time.

Hi! I'm here... I've been checking the forum somewhat regularly, but for some reason the replies don't go through on my phone, only in the computer. Do you have experience with wellbutrin? Hopefully not a bad one...
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Hang in there Jane, weekends are a bit slow on here. Keep checking in I'm sure you will get the support needed. Stay Strong for Today..

Just a quick update. I'm a wreck today (day 5). I got out of bed early (still super tired) and tried to feel motivated because I had plans with friends. The plans ended up falling through, it was something I was really looking forward to do and it's not the first time my friends have left me hanging in recent times. I just lost it. Cried uncontrollably for maybe 2 hours, I felt deeply sad and worthless and absolutely sure nobody in this world cares about me. After I stopped crying there was no relief, just this immense sadness. Now I feel numb and exhausted, like I can't even see clearly. I don't know, before I was feeling anything positive but there weren't any terrible side effects either. Now I'm just more and more convinced that this is not only not helping, it's really messing me up. I haven't felt this drained in a long time, and I'm already severely depressed... Not sure if I should call my doctor or give it more time. I can't handle another day like today.

Hey Jane, I'm Sorry your having a rough time. I'm sure Ricky will be by with advice soon... Hang in there I just really have zero experience with welbutrin.. but here to support you.keep posting you will get support here. Stay Strong for Today...

gee p is offline New Member

Are you taking the ((generic name bupropion 150 xl)) or the brand wellbutrin 150 xl which you take once a day. And what mfr. or what company made the medication..Sorry to hear of your problem.

Gee P
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-03-2017 at 10:01 PM. Reason: for Janeparker87

Hi again Jane - so sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you.

I was on wellbutrin myself and I felt worse on it in the beginning just like you are now! As you know antidepressants can take up to 6-8 weeks to work and that's if they work at all? Antidepressants do not work the same way for everyone, while one antidepressant may work great for some that same antidepressant could be terrible for another! I was ready to give up on the wellbutrin but I decided to give it at least 6 weeks, if I remember correctly it was around week 5 and I started to really feel better! So, my recommendation is to give at least 6 weeks then see how you feel? Finding the right antidepressant is really a guessing game, a process of elimination? It can take trying several different antidepressants before finding the best one that works for you?

I also have a recommendation for a book that you may find very helpful? It is called -
    Nutrient Power: Heal Your Biochemistry and Heal Your Brain by William J. Walsh. You can read reviews on the book at Amazon.com?

Let us know if you have anymore questions and/or concerns? Keep us posted? Best of luck to you... God bless us all!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    Hi again Jane - so sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you.

I was on wellbutrin myself and I felt worse on it in the beginning just like you are now! As you know antidepressants can take up to 6-8 weeks to work and that's if they work at all? Antidepressants do not work the same way for everyone, while one antidepressant may work great for some that same antidepressant could be terrible for another! I was ready to give up on the wellbutrin but I decided to give it at least 6 weeks, if I remember correctly it was around week 5 and I started to really feel better! So, my recommendation is to give at least 6 weeks then see how you feel? Finding the right antidepressant is really a guessing game, a process of elimination? It can take trying several different antidepressants before finding the best one that works for you?

I also have a recommendation for a book that you may find very helpful? It is called -
    Nutrient Power: Heal Your Biochemistry and Heal Your Brain by William J. Walsh. You can read reviews on the book at Amazon.com?

Let us know if you have anymore questions and/or concerns? Keep us posted? Best of luck to you... God bless us all!
    Jane - I wanted to add a couple more things! The wellbutrin that you are taking is the extended release version of the med, you only need to take it once a day. If the wellbutrin is making you feel tired then you might want to consider taking your daily dose at bedtime? After a few weeks at 150mg/day it may help to increase your dose to 300mg/day? They do make a 300mg extended release pill so ask your doctor about that? Update when you can? God bless us all!

PS
    What country do you reside in?

Quote Originally Posted by gee p View Post
    Are you taking the ((generic name bupropion 150 xl)) or the brand wellbutrin 150 xl which you take once a day. And what mfr. or what company made the medication..Sorry to hear of your problem.

Gee P
    Hi gee p, I explained in my first post that I'm a little confused by that. I'm from Europe, it's called Elontril but I don't think it's generic, just the name they use here. It's sold in other countries as wellbutrin XR. The lab is Bial!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    Jane - I wanted to add a couple more things! The wellbutrin that you are taking is the extended release version of the med, you only need to take it once a day. If the wellbutrin is making you feel tired then you might want to consider taking your daily dose at bedtime? After a few weeks at 150mg/day it may help to increase your dose to 300mg/day? They do make a 300mg extended release pill so ask your doctor about that? Update when you can? God bless us all!

PS
    What country do you reside in?
    Hi, Ricky, thank you for your reassurance and advice! I just really needed to hear from someone who also didn't feel much of an effect at first. I'm actually starting to feel a little better. These past 2 days I've been feeling a little more motivated (still far from what I would describe as an "energy boost"), and it's been easier getting out of bed in the morning, which was a nightmare for me because I felt super drained.

I know that these meds take time (and it's only day 8) but from the experiences I read online the lack of a honeymoon period seemed to be associated with poor long-term results so I guess I started to panic a little. I'm feeling a little better now . I'm living in Portugal. My psychiatrist is moving all the way across the country and I only have a prescription for 3 months. Hopefully she can still help with that later on, or I'll have to find a new doc. Anyway, I have her number so I'll call her next week and discuss eventually upping the dose. She didn't say anything about that! Thanks again and I hope you're doing great. I'll keep updating if anything noteworthy happens (hopefully good), maybe it will be of interest to someone else.
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

It's now day 14 on Wellbutrin... I guess it's safe to say that if I had no honeymoon period so far, it's not going to happen right? I'm so frustrated... Other than a few emotional outbursts, I feel absolutely the same as before. No energy, no motivation, and just sad all the time. Sigh....

Hello Jane, Sorry your not feeling any better did you find a new doctor yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Lvg nghtmare View Post
    Hello Jane, Sorry your not feeling any better did you find a new doctor yet?
    Hi Lvg nghtmare. Not yet but I called my doctor today and she said to give it 2 more weeks and if by then I'm feeling even the slightest improvement we can up the dose, if not then she'll refer me to another doc and I'll probably change meds. I'm not hopeful at all, because I see absolutely no improvement so far. I've been yawning all day and I have to leave for work soon (I got a part-time job since that's all I can handle right now). I believe there really is connection between having the "honeymoon period" and the med working or not. I didn't have that and I don't feel like it's going to work. I'm hanging in there but yeah, no hope. Thank you for your support. I'll keep you posted!

Hey Jane, Ricky's post said the exact same thing your dtr. advised. I'm sure he will swing by with his support. Keep us posted... Stay Strong for Today..
    Janeparker87 likes this.

It's now day 14 on Wellbutrin... I guess it's safe to say that if I had no honeymoon period so far, it's not going to happen right? I'm so frustrated... Other than a few emotional outbursts, I feel absolutely the same as before. No energy, no motivation, and just sad all the time. Sigh....
    Jane - I know it's frustrating but give it at least another couple of weeks to see if things change? I'm surprised that the doctor didn't up your dose to 300mg/day! Are you taking your dose before bed like I suggested earlier? How about that book I recommended? You may not need any antidepressants after reading that book, check it out? Keep us posted? I hope you feel better soon? God bless us all!
    Lvg nghtmare and Janeparker87 like this.

Hello Jane, checking in to see how your feeling today? I see that you haven't updated us as of yet... Have you checked on any of the suggestions Ricky posted to you?? Also take the time to read some of the threads on here, Ricky's thread you'll probably find his advice is coming from experience.. let us now Jane be well... Stay Strong for Today..

Hi guys, just wanted to check in to say I'm still here, but the news aren't good. This last week has been a nightmare. Still tired (drained is a better word) and I've been having emotional outbursts all the time. Not pretty. I actually have a mini meltdown yesterday at work, and now I'm afraid I'll get fired (my current job envolves dealing with clients and I was rude to one yesterday in front of my boss - which is not like me at all, I have many flaws but being rude isn't one of them).

I'll call my doc again tomorrow and BEG her to up the dose to 300mg. She told me to wait 2 weeks and it's only been one but I can't take this anymore. I feel no positive effects (curious fact, I'm a smoker and I feel no desire to stop), just increased irritability and hopelessness. I'm completely convinced at this point that this isn't for me but I want to at least give the 300mg a try, I don't know what I'm hoping for, maybe a magical kick? Rick, I have checked out the book you mentioned and it has great reviews, but I don't think it's available here in Portugal and I've been too down to actively search for it. I might order it online. Thank you guys for all your support, I really wanted to have good news and not sound like such a downer all the time, but it is what it is...

Ok, so I just spoke to my doctor. She's a bit wary of upping me to 300mg because of the irritability, sice it could get worse. So we agreed I'll keep taking the 150mg for a few more days and if I don't have any episodes during that time I can up the dose! Right now I'm convinced that I am probably not very sensitive to stimulants and things aren't going to get any better on the 150mg dose. Thankfully I had today and yesterday off as I've been so tired and depressed I barely got out of bed.

I should never have read about the freaking honeymoon period as it instantly convinced me that since I haven't had one this isn't going to work... I'm a horrible patient, I know. I'll do my best to stop focusing on every little symptom and just live my life, I currently have no expectations, if this works, great, if not there's always other meds. I'm not good at waiting and I'm already pessimistic enough without having to go through I don't know how many meds before finding one that works (which will only reinforce my "I'm so unlucky" feeling), but you know what? I've waited 6 years before seeking treatment, I can wait a few more weeks/months.

Hello Jane, sorry to hear your still not feeling better. I'm happy that your doctor is working with you.. stay positive it will eventually even out.. Stay Strong for Today...
    Janeparker87 likes this.

benz13 is offline New Member

Hi Jane, just thought I would share my experience with Wellbutrin. My doc first prescribed me 150 mg as well. Like you, it did absolutely nothing. Normally what happens at least in my experience I seen my doc two weeks after taking and she upped my dose to the 300mg xl. It did not make me feel agitated. Maybe your just agitated because your not getting any relief. After being put on the 300mg XL it was a game changer. I was no longer sleeping until 2pm in the afternoon but getting up at 7-8am and starting my day. It literally saved my life. Just from my experience if 150mg is not working by now, it probabaly won't. After being put on 300mg I felt better in a matter of days, not weeks. Hope this helps. I would say after one week after having built up on 150mg and if the 300mg doesn't start to work I would ask to be changed to something completely different. Take a chance on the 300mg, it was like a light went on. Amazing how it worked for me. I've now been on it 5 years and looking for a booster to the Wellbutrin that's why I came on here, but I think that's normal for antidepressants to stop working or slow down. Best of luck to you! Please update if you do try the 300mg. According to my doctor that is the average dose. They have to start at the lowest dose and build up. Take care!
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by benz13 View Post
    Hi Jane, just thought I would share my experience with Wellbutrin. My doc first prescribed me 150 mg as well. Like you, it did absolutely nothing. Normally what happens at least in my experience I seen my doc two weeks after taking and she upped my dose to the 300mg xl. It did not make me feel agitated. Maybe your just agitated because your not getting any relief. After being put on the 300mg XL it was a game changer. I was no longer sleeping until 2pm in the afternoon but getting up at 7-8am and starting my day. It literally saved my life. Just from my experience if 150mg is not working by now, it probabaly won't. After being put on 300mg I felt better in a matter of days, not weeks. Hope this helps. I would say after one week after having built up on 150mg and if the 300mg doesn't start to work I would ask to be changed to something completely different. Take a chance on the 300mg, it was like a light went on. Amazing how it worked for me. I've now been on it 5 years and looking for a booster to the Wellbutrin that's why I came on here, but I think that's normal for antidepressants to stop working or slow down. Best of luck to you! Please update if you do try the 300mg. According to my doctor that is the average dose. They have to start at the lowest dose and build up. Take care!
    Hi benz13, your reply couldn't have come at a better time. I'm starting the 300mg dose tomorrow! I gave it another week on 150mg like my pdoc asked, and since I haven't felt irritable I'm doing it! It's really nice to hear from someone who felt such a difference with the dose change because that's what I'm hoping will happen to me. I'll keep my expectations low though, it's for the best. But thank you so much for your input. I'll write back to say how it's going!

Good luck Jane....

Benz13, today is day 2 on 300mg and still nothing... Here I am yawning non stop. You mentioned you felt better in a matter of days, did you experience the burst of energy that most people experience when first starting? I guess I'll have to wait and see but I can't understand how this is possible, being this tired on a stimulant. Something must be seriously wrong with the way I'm wired... Or maybe serotonin is what I really need...

Hello Jane, take a breath don't beat yourself up.. it's only the second day give it some time for things to balance out.. Stay Strong for Today...

Quote Originally Posted by Lvg nghtmare View Post
    Hello Jane, take a breath don't beat yourself up.. it's only the second day give it some time for things to balance out.. Stay Strong for Today...
    Thank you for your constant support! Sending you lots of love Lvg nghtmare
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Hello Jane, doing a drive by to see how your coming along..Stay Strong for Today...

Hi guys... 2 weeks since bumping it up to 300mg and still nothing. This week in particular has been terrible in terms of tiredness (I feel like I could sleep for 24h if I didn't set my alarm) but that can be attributed to really bad PMS which always makes everything worse - sorry for the TMI! I'm hanging in there... Honestly at this point I have zero hope this will work but I want to give it at least 4 more weeks on the 300mg dose. Hope you guys are well!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast