Nothing Works for my Pain
    FullTimePain is offline New Member

Default Nothing Works for my Pain

Hello, Im new here, Ill let you guys know a little about myself and my situation. Im a 23 year old male, Been suffering with lower back pain from the age of 13 which is when they discovered I have an extra vertebrea in my lumbar. The pain only seems too be getting worse as I age.. I,ve been trying everything for the past 10years. acupuncture, chriopracter massage and stretchs for the back. and for the past few months my doctor has been trying too find a combination of medication that will work for the pain, and nothing takes the pain away, we started off with tramecet, then went too ultram 50mg and finnaly tridural up too 300mg along with diffrent meds such as gabapentin, celebrex, arthrotec. lyrica. no success with any of those combinations... lately i,ve tried junista which did nothing, and now am on Hydromorph Contin which also does nothing..

The pain has gotten too the point where im starting too miss work and even having trouble getting my socks on in the morning..Im only 23 and worry about my future as there seems too be nothing that can be done.

Anyone have a similar experience? what has helped? where should or can I go from here.

zerberbaby is offline New Member

Default Understand your pain

I am not having much luck with finding medication that is working for me either. I have received some relief from Cymbalta. I was on 30 mg for 2 weeks and was able to cut my other meds in half. However, I began to feel very spaced out and disconnected. My GP has moved me down to 20 mg of Cymbalta, and it is not helping as much, but it is a drug which has to build up in your system and I have only been taking it a few days.

My best advice is to keep trying. If you are not getting anywhere with your current doctor, then find a new one. Look on line if you have to. Really read the bios and look for training and specialities that fit your situation. Don't be afraid to travel! You do not say where you live, but a really good doctor is worth the trip (even if it involves flying!), they will usually be able to then hook you in to work with a local doctor for more routine office visits and things so it is worth the time and effort to make that initial contact no matter the distance.

I know how bad it can be sometimes, but there is an answer out there for you!

reeltime is offline New Member

Default Pain

Hey, I've had lower back pain for years. I fell off a ladder while working for a cable company and have had severe pain ever since. One thing that works for me is Hydrocodone 10mg. I only take a half pill if I'm in pain. Sometimes I go the whole day without taking anything. The other thing that works for me is stretching and walking and working out as much as possible.
    Anyway, Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Oxazolidinone is offline Banned

Celebrex should work just fine in combination with any strong opioid. I never seen this before anywhere.

Try oxycodone or oxymorphone.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 11-30-2010 at 11:53 PM.

zaringu is offline New Member

Lightbulb Similar Pain?

While it's not identical, I think I might have similar pain to what you're experiencing. I'm a 19 y/o male and a couple years ago I broke L3, L4, and L5 by landing on my feet after falling several stories. They're called burst compression fractures (shatter is more accurate) and might have some of the same aspect of your pain. (The feeling of excessive pressure; the bones not fitting together the way they should, etc.) Something I tried recently due to the highly positive (if short lived) response to the local anesthetic coupled with a cortisone injection, was Lidocaine Patches.
    They're non addictive and seem to be fairly effective. While the cortisone was in one of my ankles, I use the patches on my back 12 hours at a time and find it really helps to dull the pain whether it's for sleeping or getting on with your day. You said that the opiates (Hydromorphone) didn't seem to be doing anything so my advice to you would be to stop taking them ASAP. There's just no reason to be putting your body and mind through the side effects and, eventually, addiction and withdrawal if you're not getting the pain relief you need.
    One more thing, I've also been put on celebrex and gabapentin to little effect except the gaba which made me sleepy and foggy.

disabledleo is offline Member

Default Reading your post I noticed

Hello & welcome... I noticed that your Dr. has not written you any stronger narcotics & that might be something you should take up with him/her. Your Dr. might be trying to keep you OFF of the meds that have caused us all problems to some point & iy might be the best thing for you to stay off of..? I do not know. All I know is I've been in horrible back pain for 11 yrs now & have gone on everything possible & the stronger the med the more problems added to your pain. Just in my opinion NOTHING has taken me OUT OF PAIN @ ANY DOSE!!!! So I am doing what I can with as little as I can. I'm 41 yrs old & now my testosterone has completely been shut down & it sucks!!!! Don't take this wrong you have to do what you & your Dr feel is best but Ive been on incredible doses of Oxycontin & was still in pain (taking 80 mgs 5-6x's a day adding Oxy IR 15 mgs 4-8 x's a day) That Dr in my opinion should be arrested for writing those amounts & doing to me what it has done.
    Good luck

gatman is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by FullTimePain View Post
    Hello, Im new here, Ill let you guys know a little about myself and my situation. Im a 23 year old male, Been suffering with lower back pain from the age of 13 which is when they discovered I have an extra vertebrea in my lumbar. The pain only seems too be getting worse as I age.. I,ve been trying everything for the past 10years. acupuncture, chriopracter massage and stretchs for the back. and for the past few months my doctor has been trying too find a combination of medication that will work for the pain, and nothing takes the pain away, we started off with tramecet, then went too ultram 50mg and finnaly tridural up too 300mg along with diffrent meds such as gabapentin, celebrex, arthrotec. lyrica. no success with any of those combinations... lately i,ve tried junista which did nothing, and now am on Hydromorph Contin which also does nothing..

The pain has gotten too the point where im starting too miss work and even having trouble getting my socks on in the morning..Im only 23 and worry about my future as there seems too be nothing that can be done.

Anyone have a similar experience? what has helped? where should or can I go from here.
    you say you have hydromorph you can do 1 of 2 things ask dr for oxymorphone its stronger then the hydromorphone or take what you where givin and go to a methadone center and get on tell them you have a hydromorphone habit but use it for pain dont tell them that you can keep going up till you start to feel better good luck

Anonymous Guest

For Nothing Works for Your Pain;
    Reeltime I believe mentioned stretching, exercise helped and Zaringu (sp)? mentioned lidocane patches i think. I have MS and RA. I was put on a lot of pain meds a few years ago and detoxed off them. Then 3 yrs ago after some bad problems was put on 200 fentanyl patches after going way high on oxycontin.
    I know you are really really miserable right now. in a way you are so lucky to be posting now. You also may be very lucky in the doctor you have. I will totally admit that the oxy and patches helped me.......but it is inevitable that you will become tolerant and have to detox some day and what a lousy cycle to get into as young as you are.
    I'm not telling you not to take meds, I'm just saying opoids will lead you down a very dark path. I am going off the patches to evaluate my pain, I have been exercising, doing yoga, walking my dogs, everything i can do so that when i'm off the patches i'm hoping to be able to use these methods plus if I have to, the least problematic med i have to. Altho i must say i am not wanting to ween myself off of meds a third time in my life.
    I know that the meds have added to my pain as i have become addicted. i never abused the meds, never used to get high, only relief. But it has led to so many side effects.
    My only advice to you really is to be involved in the decision making with your doctor and to research on this board and anywhere else you can what you may be getting yourself into.
    If this sounds judgmental at all, then I phrased it incorrectly; not meaning to advise merely share my experience with disabling pain. There is pain and then there is pain with addiction.. UGH!
    I'm very impressed that at your age you knew to ask for assistance from others going through similar experience.
    I realize now that I'm going to be living with pain. I'm just hoping to deal with it with exercise, stretching and yoga. I now know it is possible that meds will add to my pain as well put me into a position of detoxing.
    The best of luck to you no matter what you do. Vaya con Dios and Merry Christmas!
    Marian

TOLLY1942 is offline New Member

dude you should go on oxycontin,fentanyl patches will make you feel like a new man. the trade off is you will prbobly get dependent .if you follow the drs orders youll be fine

Quote Originally Posted by disabledleo View Post
    hello & welcome... I noticed that your dr. Has not written you any stronger narcotics & that might be something you should take up with him/her. Your dr. Might be trying to keep you off of the meds that have caused us all problems to some point & iy might be the best thing for you to stay off of..? I do not know. All i know is i've been in horrible back pain for 11 yrs now & have gone on everything possible & the stronger the med the more problems added to your pain. Just in my opinion nothing has taken me out of pain @ any dose!!!! So i am doing what i can with as little as i can. I'm 41 yrs old & now my testosterone has completely been shut down & it sucks!!!! Don't take this wrong you have to do what you & your dr feel is best but ive been on incredible doses of oxycontin & was still in pain (taking 80 mgs 5-6x's a day adding oxy ir 15 mgs 4-8 x's a day) that dr in my opinion should be arrested for writing those amounts & doing to me what it has done.
    Good luck
    go on fentanyl patches.you will feel l ike a new man

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwally View Post
    for nothing works for your pain;
    reeltime i believe mentioned stretching, exercise helped and zaringu (sp)? Mentioned lidocane patches i think. I have ms and ra. I was put on a lot of pain meds a few years ago and detoxed off them. Then 3 yrs ago after some bad problems was put on 200 fentanyl patches after going way high on oxycontin.
    I know you are really really miserable right now. In a way you are so lucky to be posting now. You also may be very lucky in the doctor you have. I will totally admit that the oxy and patches helped me.......but it is inevitable that you will become tolerant and have to detox some day and what a lousy cycle to get into as young as you are.
    I'm not telling you not to take meds, i'm just saying opoids will lead you down a very dark path. I am going off the patches to evaluate my pain, i have been exercising, doing yoga, walking my dogs, everything i can do so that when i'm off the patches i'm hoping to be able to use these methods plus if i have to, the least problematic med i have to. Altho i must say i am not wanting to ween myself off of meds a third time in my life.
    I know that the meds have added to my pain as i have become addicted. I never abused the meds, never used to get high, only relief. But it has led to so many side effects.
    My only advice to you really is to be involved in the decision making with your doctor and to research on this board and anywhere else you can what you may be getting yourself into.
    If this sounds judgmental at all, then i phrased it incorrectly; not meaning to advise merely share my experience with disabling pain. There is pain and then there is pain with addiction.. Ugh!
    I'm very impressed that at your age you knew to ask for assistance from others going through similar experience.
    I realize now that i'm going to be living with pain. I'm just hoping to deal with it with exercise, stretching and yoga. I now know it is possible that meds will add to my pain as well put me into a position of detoxing.
    The best of luck to you no matter what you do. Vaya con dios and merry christmas!
    Marian
    what about swimming i hear it works wonders.fentanyl patches will also make you feel wonderfull but im sure u know the trade off

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TOLLY1942 View Post
    what about swimming i hear it works wonders.fentanyl patches will also make you feel wonderfull but im sure u know the trade off
    Tolly, i don't have any easy answers. Yes swimming is another exercise that helps tremendously. unfortunately for me, water temp can send me into an MS episode quick as a week, and yet it would work wonders for my RA. My best medium besides regular exercising and walking seems to be yoga.
    I'm certainly not trying to tell anyone what to do. Just research your options and realize what may happen later.
    I loved the patch when i started, I now wish i had known where it would inevitably land me.
    Best wishes and good luck to all!
    Marian`

Ladynpaindaily is offline New Member

Ok let me explain that I understand what you are going through, except my situation is slightly worse with my back in the sense that I have degenerative disc disease which has deteriorated 2 discs completely in my back, plus I have a herniated disc, a torn disc, a blown disc, scoliosis of the spine, the nerves in my spine are separating and many docs told me there was nothing they could do because my back was too far gone from car accidents.
    I agree, the pain can be very excruciating but I did find some help and this might be something for you to think about if all else fails. Talk to a Neurosurgeon about getting an Intrathecal pain pump put in or if that is an option for you. I had one put in and my mom had one put in as well. I was at the point where I was dragging my body across the floor by my hands until I finally found a doctor to help me and decided to put the Intrathecal pain pump in. It has medicine in it that pumps the meds into your spinal cord to help get rid of the pain. It has no side effects like oral pain medicine does. Currently I have 4 different medicines in the pump right now and have to get it refilled every 3 months but I also have oral pain medicine as well. I have Oxycodone 15 mg 5 times a day and Robaxin 750 mgs 4 times a day ON TOP of the medicine that is in my pump. Might want to talk to your doctor or find a Neurosurgeon to help you. Some Neurosurgeons do not require a referral. The one I went to didn't and I was able to see him immediately.
    Now I am able to walk and do my normal routine, to a point. Some days are worse than others as I have many other medical problems besides just the severe back problems.
    I do hope this helps you.
    Sincerely,
    Ladynpaindaily

madhattersbash is offline New Member

Hi: I have had extreme chronic neck and shoulder pain for many, many years.
    I went to a doctor and had Prolotherapy, which seemed to help, but I had to stop, as he was too far away. BUT, he did prescribe SOMA for the extreme muscle pain, and it WORKED!
    You can get it as a generic, and it isn't that expensive. If you have an addictive personality, you should not take it; otherwise, it is OK. I have been taking the same dose since '06 and have never had to increase it. AND, the wonderful 'side effect' is that it allows me to sleep--after 35 years of insomnia (with no drugged out feeling in the morning!). Be sure to check it against any other meds for interactions.