PLEASE HELP! Quiting Lexapro
    irish123 is offline New Member

Unhappy PLEASE HELP! Quiting Lexapro

Brief History: I don't drink or smoke(weed or cigs) and I don't do drugs either.

I was recently diagnosed with anxiety that gives me very bad IBS-D. 6 days ago the doctor prescribed me 10mg of Lexapro to help for it. I was scared to take it for the first 2 days, and by the 3rd day I mustard up enough courage to take 2.5mg(1/4 of the pill).

The first day was one of the worst of my life. My anxiety was worse than it has ever been and my D as also much worse than normal. Couldn't imagine what would have happened had I taken the whole pill.

I called my doctor and they said to just keep pushing.

Anyways have continued to take 2.5mg for 3 more days and every day has gotten worse. I originally just had anxiety but today I woke up and felt majorily depressed and extremely tense(I had to pace around my room for 3 hours until I finally calmed down). I have also continued to have extreme D these past 4 days, which again, is what this medicine was supposed to be preventing.

Anyways, I am quitting tomorrow. I know I am supposed to give it 4-6 weeks but I honestly think I would kill my self if I was on this medicine for that long and I just seriously can't do it. I would much rather just live with my IBS.

Since I have only been taking 2.5mg for 4 days, will it be okay to go cold turkery? I am not sure if I can taper these 10mg down any more as I have already been splitting them into 1/4ths and they are very small pills.

I am also going to see my doctor tomorrow to tell him I am qutting too because the cost of the medicine is not worth the benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by irish123 View Post
    Brief History: I don't drink or smoke(weed or cigs) and I don't do drugs either.

I was recently diagnosed with anxiety that gives me very bad IBS-D. 6 days ago the doctor prescribed me 10mg of Lexapro to help for it. I was scared to take it for the first 2 days, and by the 3rd day I mustard up enough courage to take 2.5mg(1/4 of the pill).

The first day was one of the worst of my life. My anxiety was worse than it has ever been and my D as also much worse than normal. Couldn't imagine what would have happened had I taken the whole pill.

I called my doctor and they said to just keep pushing.

Anyways have continued to take 2.5mg for 3 more days and every day has gotten worse. I originally just had anxiety but today I woke up and felt majorily depressed and extremely tense(I had to pace around my room for 3 hours until I finally calmed down). I have also continued to have extreme D these past 4 days, which again, is what this medicine was supposed to be preventing.

Anyways, I am quitting tomorrow. I know I am supposed to give it 4-6 weeks but I honestly think I would kill my self if I was on this medicine for that long and I just seriously can't do it. I would much rather just live with my IBS.

Since I have only been taking 2.5mg for 4 days, will it be okay to go cold turkery? I am not sure if I can taper these 10mg down any more as I have already been splitting them into 1/4ths and they are very small pills.

I am also going to see my doctor tomorrow to tell him I am qutting too because the cost of the medicine is not worth the benefit.

I forgot to mention that this is my first time ever taking anything for anxiety. I have never taken any other meds unless they were like antibiotics or something like that when I was sick.

csmith86 is offline New Member

Lightbulb Lexapro dosage

Hi irish 123,

I've been on Lexapro 20mg/day for about a month now, and started out at 10mg for 2 months. I would recommend trying what your doctor prescribed you as 2.5 mg may not have much effect. But everyone responds to it differently, if it makes your depression or anxiety worse than make sure to talk to you doctor and be as honest as possible.

The drug has significantly helped my depression and ability to function, improving my mood/anxiety, etc. I was on it a few years ago at 10mg and stopped cold turkey which resulted in feelings of emptiness, anhedonia (unable to feel pleasure) and more depression/anxiety. At 2.5 mg/day for only 4 days you should be fine to cold turkey without any, or very little, withdrawal symptoms.

This is my first post on drugs.com, so let me know how it goes! I can keep you updated on how 20mg/day is affecting me as well.

Cheers

Hello csmith. I ended up getting off the lexapro and my doctor switched me over to Paxil. A week into the Paxil I was having suicidal thoughts every day nearly all day and my family was starting to worry about me so he got me off that. I currently take .5mg of klonopin twice a day and it was been a miracle drug for me. My anxiety is gone, I have normal bowel movements, I've stopped grinding my teeth at night and blighting my nails. I also no longer am constantly shaking my legs whenever I am sitting down so it really has been a game changer for me.

I will keep you updated on if anything changes but so far I am doing great.

I also no most people will say this not the method I should be going but my doctor thinks it's okay, especially since I don't drink or smoke or do any drugs and have never had any addiction problems in the past.

Please keep me updated on how the lexapro is working for you! I hope it continues to help. I know for a lot of people is has really helped them out. For some reason with me though my body just freaks out on SSRIs.