Question on Brand Adderall
    Violence is offline Junior Member

Default Question on Brand Adderall

Hello All,

So today I was prescribed generic Dextroamphetamine IR tablets, which I am now to be taking along with my Wellbutrin & Effexor (both generic). Although I have no complaints really of using this version of amphetamine (though a longer onset of action) in comparison to Adderall which I've used before, my pdoc mentioned that generic amphetamine salts are hard to come by at this point in time. I've read about this as well on forums and such.

I am just wondering if there is a shortage for the generics only, or for both the generic formulations of adderall and the brand name. My pdoc is pretty flexible so in the future if I request it I would like to know beforehand if there are shortages too. I would imagine that there would be less of an issue with availability with the brand name as it is more expensive (although my insurance will likely cover it).

Info appreciated

Alternatively, does anybody know anything of similar nature to my question with consideration to brand name dextroamphetamine (Dextrostat, Dexedrine) compared to the generic ? I am currently taking the Barr generic formulation.

script101 is offline New Member

You can check the FDA for shortages of each brand, but I hear there is a shortage on the generic brands only. I also learned many pharmacies don't keep brand name on the shelves so you will have to let them know ahead of time so they can order it. What generic did they put you on? Corepharma seems to cause the most unwanted side effects from my own experience and research into the subject. The delayed onset is due to the fillers (lactose in this case) used as they are not the same in many others. I gathered this information after I learned I had such undesirable side effects in concerns to my stomach's effects while on the medication (as well as more jittery feeling, headache when wore off, and generally feeling a little drugged) as I am lactose intolerant.Barr is the other one commonly available (although the other less common ones I learned work well too) and is much better and has less side effects and generally lasts longer.

script101 is offline New Member

IF you are considering requesting the brand name adderall I have learned that walgreens is the least willing to work with your requests (or they will have an attitude) and CVS and Shopko both seemed much more willing too, but it may be different in different areas. As I read different forums online, which was about a month ago and I forgot to save the link, I read several complaints about walgreens being less than willing to order other brands (and I received quite an attitude when I asked if they would order me another brand if I had it there a week ahead of time...bc he said the lactose probably isnt what is upsetting my stomach for lactose intolerance...and it seems to me they should be willing to work with myself and my intolerances).

As of this point of time with some further experience with the generic dex, I do not plan to continue on this generic when I visit my pdoc next week. I noticed that the general physics colloquialism applies here "what goes up must come down". After about an hour of taking my dose, I notice a relatively uncomfortable "jitteriness" that sweeps over me, which stops any good mood that I get from the initial euphoria soon after taking it. It just feels more like a roller-coaster effect, and I'm not cool with going through that every day of the week.

Also, while Adderall does tend to last a bit longer for me and has a less pronounced 'crash', I still am not preferable for the relatively short duration of its therapeutic response.

As from what I know, Vyvanse is essentially an extended-release brand formulation of dexamphetamine, but lasts up to 14 hours (or at least in the ball-park).

Does anybody have any input on Vyvanse in comparison to its IR formulation ? I'm thinking of asking about that next week, because I would imagine that it does not have as much of a noticeable 'crash'.