Question and scared about SSRI'S
    Chunkukdo is offline New Member

Default Question and scared about SSRI'S

I've posted this on other sites with no answers and I'm sorry if its a bit long and seems to ramble, but it's hard to type it all on my iPad. So here goes, please if you've experienced this or might understand..reply ....Okay this is a bit long but please bear with me. In 2010 my then wife kicked me out, revealed she was having an affair and then later that year our son was in a bad bicycle accident which he is okay now and I'm remarried. I've had OCD thoughts for a long time, saying a little prayer because I always thought something bad would happen to me or my family. In 2011 I started seeing someone who is now my wife, she said i should goto the dr because I started showing signs of depression, ie staying home, not wanting to do anything. I saw a GP dr who put me on 50 mg of Zoloft. On day 5 I had a bad reaction as we were driving home from a movie, hot flash that kept "rolling" thu my core, numbness in extremities, weird feeling in left side of face and eye. Went to ER In ambulance, thought was having heart attack. Symptoms gone after 8 hours, was told see dr and did a month later..he put me on Wellbutrin xl..2nd day had same type reaction only tolerable and it lasted about a week coming off and on all day. Stopped it, then became obsessed with my health, having every test known to man, stress tests, blood tests etc. all okay. Went to see a psydr who put me on 2 mg xanax xr 1 x a day and been fairly well on it up until now. I started being extremely grouchy to my family, being a butt to them, snapping over every little thing and not wanting to do much of anything anymore. I went to my psydr with my wife who she sees with me because of driving anxiety. He wanted me to try lexapro which is what she takes. He knows how I feel about antidepressants and I asked him of he thought I could have serotonin syndrome, he said no that the Wellbutrin can't cause that and he thinks I should start out on .5 mg of lexapro for 14 days then jump up a dose. This is day two and I've been so anxious, not wanting to have the reaction I had before. I want it to work for my sake and my family's. I also want these OCD thought about my health to go away and stop checking my pulse and bp 25 times a day. He told me all antidepressants are different. Please give me some encouragement or has anyone else experienced this?

I've had numerous views on every board I've posted this to. I'm beginning to think I'm the only one this has happened too.

hamstercircus is offline Member

Hi there, I am generally a lurker on this forum (only 2 posts for me so far, well 3 now it would seem). I originally came to the forum months ago as a lurker and still haven't stepped up and posted about what I actually need advice/support with, maybe one day I will gather up the strength to do it...So, in the meantime if I see a post I may be able to offer some support I jump in and I do have experience with SSRI's, as I was on them for over 15 years. Please know that I am not a doctor, I am a nurse, so that means: I cannot diagnose, prescribe or do anything outside of my scope of practice. As a nurse,I can offer support, answer some questions for you (not being able to do an actual assessment, there will probably be things that I will not be comfortable answering, so I will refer you back to your doc if anything like that comes up.). I am familiar with these meds on both personal and professional levels, I am also very familiar with many psychiatric disorders including anxiety disorders like OCD, again both personally and professionally. I Did OB/GYN nursing for years, currently working with individuals with varying types of psychiatric and medical disorders, so hopefully I can be of some help to you.

Do you mind if I ask you some questions just so I can get an idea of where your at, just a couple...1. Are Lexapro and Xanax XR the only meds you currently take (if not, are you comfortable listing other meds, including over the counters.)? Do you drink alcohol and how often? I only ask this because of the potential for med/alcohol interaction.

The symptoms you experienced with the Zoloft are quite similar to some of the symptoms of Seratonin syndrome, you said they were gone after 8 hours, did they keep you hospitalized at that point or were you discharged? We usually see at least a 24 hour stay for SS, but it usually ends up being longer. About the Wellbutrin-I doesn't seem that this causes SS when taken by itself, now when taken with certain other meds it apparently can contribute to SS.

It looks like your psych is starting you out on Lexapro very slowly, very smart and responsible way to do it. If you are comfortable with this, this is the best way to do it to keep a "handle" on adverse effects. In addition to meds, is your psych or his/her associate doing anything like Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy also? For some (me included) it really, really helps and even though I stopped the SSRI'S a couple years ago, I still go to "talk" therapy/CBT weekly. I saw your other post about b/p and hr and how you were feeling.

I never had any symptoms like yours while on SSRI's, however tapering off of them is no joke. Miss nurse here thought she could do it herself, ahhh-no. I had "brain zaps" constantly, couldn't focus, couldn't function at all really. After my doc chewed me out for stopping cold turkey, he started me on a taper plan that lasted close to six months, way better choice.

Sorry this is so long, but one last thing, you need to report these current symptoms to your doc ASAP, tell him about the physical symptoms and mental/emotional anxiety. Your doc may change your current plan of treatment based on how you are reacting (or not reacting)to the med. Ok, all done, good luck to you and let me know if you have any questions about my experience.

Thank you so much for replying! It's very helpful to know someone else can relate. Since you know the back story, let me fill in some blanks. I was actually on Zoloft once about 12 years ago, I took it for a month for what i thought at the time was depression. All I remember it doing was making it impossible to ejaculate during intercourse. I had forgotten about that up until earlier (that's the xanax for you). When I went to my GP doc in 2011 he gave me the zoloft which caused the reaction after 5 days..ie I got the increase in hr, slight bp increase, the funny left eye and arm thing (which I now know I have cubital tunnel in my left arm) and the arm shaking. I don't know if I'd mentioned that or not. I thought I was having a heart attack because of the hot flash feeling in my core that started in my chest and went down my body over and over. My extremities were also cold and numb. The hospital ran an EKG and two cardiac enzyme tests, they didn't give me anything and even took the Iv out that the paramedics had put in when they first put me in the ambulance. All my blood work was fine and EKG was perfect. They discharged me from the ER after about four hours and marked it up as either panic attack, which I'd never had before, or being allergic to zoloft. I didn't think it was panic because I wasn't in a panicked state when it hit me. Anyways, I got home and went to bed and when I got up it was all gone. I was fine after this, went back a month later and told him what happened and he gave me the Wellbutrin xl. Day 2 and I was having a warm feeling in my head, the left eye thing and it would come and go at different times of the day for a week before it went away. At this point I was convinced I had something wrong with me. GP gave me heart tests and everything and I'm healthy. He gave me regular xanax and sent me to see my psydr who has had me on regular xanax and then when that stopped working, he put me on the 2 mg of xanax xr one time a day. I've been on it for about 20 months now. It has been probably 4 months ago when I think I got tolerant to it. My OCD about my health came back strong and all day I am constantly checking pulse and bp. I was also becoming such a grouch to live with my wife, who sees him too, called and told his nurse what was going on and he increased my xanax to 3 mg xr which I did not pick up and told him I wanted an appointment because I sure dont want to increase my xanax. That's when he said he wanted me to try lexapro and he thinks I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. I asked him about serotonin syndrome and he said with Wellbutrin it was impossible. Now I did goto CBT but I had to stop because I moved and my insurance wouldn't pay. It didn't really help because I didn't get to go that much. As for my meds, I take the 2 mg xanax xr in the morning, I'm on day 3 of the lexapro, which I had a mild anxiety episode with 1 1/2 hour after I took it today at 3 pm. My bp has been high since then..150/90 in left arm and 130/80 in right. I am also addicted to afrin nasal spray which is hard to quit. Other than aspirin or tylenol that's all. And I don't drink or smoke.

One other thing..you said he was starting me out slowly on the lexapro. Is 1/2 a pill (.5 mg) not that much? He also said that my then GP dr should've known not to put me on Wellbutrin because it actually causes panic/anxiety attacks!

ecotime47 is offline New Member

Hey bro, I don't have any advice for you but I wanted to let you know someone is praying for you today. Believing God for wholeness and health.

I appreciate it very much. Been praying myself. Praying that if it works it does and that I don't have the same pro lem as I did with the other AD. Yesterday I took it and it was day 3. Came home took it at 3 pm and tried to take a nap because I only slept 2 hours Saturday night. Couldn't sleep, 1 1/2 hours later I got up and my face had felt flushed the whole time...I suddenly felt weird, hands n feet got cold so I took my bp and it was 155/101. It lasted about half hour then my bp was up all night. I tried to goto sleep but ever time I would close my eyes, I would have racing thoughts, a hot skin then shiver and jittery. My mind also was having like jumbled thoughts. I mean like I would think of something to try to ease my worries and my mind would think of something weird like for instance at one point I was thinking about my son and then somehow I thought of a sand crane ? I remember each time this happened, I was like why the heck am I thinking this? Lol. Finally even though I know I shouldn't have without talking to my dr, I got up and found an old regular xanax bottle I had like 3 in and took half of a .5. I was finally able to sleep a bit better. From 230 to 4 then back to sleep til I got up for work at 8. My wife is calling my psydr and she spoke with his assistant who is supposed to call her back.

I can't call my psydr during the day due to my job and not having cell service much of the day. Their phone system is set up to leave a message and they will call you back. My wife talked to his assistant today who said she would let him know and call back either today or tomorrow. They didn't call back today. My wife, who thinks I'm creating these symptoms with my mind, said his assistant said she didn't think I could have side effects after 3 days. I didn't think I'd be shaking like a leaf in Sams Club 2 days after I took Wellbutrin xl either! When are they going to realize everyone is different and AD's don't work for everybody? I'm taking the safe route and not taking my pill today to see what he says tomorrow. I mean last night I take the pill and my bp shoots up and all that other crazy >>>> and those weird thoughts! I'm almost tempted to just tell him look ill go up on my xanax! At least I know it keeps me calm as long as I'm not getting tolerant.

Quote Originally Posted by Chunkukdo View Post
    One other thing..you said he was starting me out slowly on the lexapro. Is 1/2 a pill (.5 mg) not that much? He also said that my then GP dr should've known not to put me on Wellbutrin because it actually causes panic/anxiety attacks!
    In my experience, Lexapro is usually started at 10 mg daily then eventually increased to 20 mg daily if the doctor feels that is in order. Are you sure your dosage is 0.5 mg and not 5 mg? 5 mg would certainly make sense as docs may start some patients at this dosage, especially if there is any indication of previous issues with other SSRI's. As far as the Wellbutrin, I have also heard that it can cause increased anxiety in some patients, so that really may have not been the best choice for you. (My opinion only )

Yeah it is 5 mg. I'm used to dealing with xanax so I always decimal everything. I didn't take my dose tonight. I'm gonna see what he says tomorrow. I may with his consent, just not even take it if its gonna make me feel this way after 3 days. That was so weird last night. Maybe some exercise, the xanax I'm on now and some CBT close to me will be better than this!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-08-2013 at 07:22 PM.

Thank you so much for replying! It's very helpful to know someone else can relate. Since you know the back story, let me fill in some blanks. I was actually on Zoloft once about 12 years ago, I took it for a month for what i thought at the time was depression. All I remember it doing was making it impossible to ejaculate during intercourse. I had forgotten about that up until earlier (that's the xanax for you). When I went to my GP doc in 2011 he gave me the zoloft which caused the reaction after 5 days..ie I got the increase in hr, slight bp increase, the funny left eye and arm thing (which I now know I have cubital tunnel in my left arm) and the arm shaking. I don't know if I'd mentioned that or not. I thought I was having a heart attack because of the hot flash feeling in my core that started in my chest and went down my body over and over. My extremities were also cold and numb. The hospital ran an EKG and two cardiac enzyme tests, they didn't give me anything and even took the Iv out that the paramedics had put in when they first put me in the ambulance. All my blood work was fine and EKG was perfect. They discharged me from the ER after about four hours and marked it up as either panic attack, which I'd never had before, or being allergic to zoloft. I didn't think it was panic because I wasn't in a panicked state when it hit me. Anyways, I got home and went to bed and when I got up it was all gone. I was fine after this, went back a month later and told him what happened and he gave me the Wellbutrin xl. Day 2 and I was having a warm feeling in my head, the left eye thing and it would come and go at different times of the day for a week before it went away. At this point I was convinced I had something wrong with me. GP gave me heart tests and everything and I'm healthy. He gave me regular xanax and sent me to see my psydr who has had me on regular xanax and then when that stopped working, he put me on the 2 mg of xanax xr one time a day. I've been on it for about 20 months now. It has been probably 4 months ago when I think I got tolerant to it. My OCD about my health came back strong and all day I am constantly checking pulse and bp. I was also becoming such a grouch to live with my wife, who sees him too, called and told his nurse what was going on and he increased my xanax to 3 mg xr which I did not pick up and told him I wanted an appointment because I sure dont want to increase my xanax. That's when he said he wanted me to try lexapro and he thinks I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. I asked him about serotonin syndrome and he said with Wellbutrin it was impossible. Now I did goto CBT but I had to stop because I moved and my insurance wouldn't pay. It didn't really help because I didn't get to go that much. As for my meds, I take the 2 mg xanax xr in the morning, I'm on day 3 of the lexapro, which I had a mild anxiety episode with 1 1/2 hour after I took it today at 3 pm. My bp has been high since then..150/90 in left arm and 130/80 in right. I am also addicted to afrin nasal spray which is hard to quit. Other than aspirin or tylenol that's all. And I don't drink or smoke.
    Oh yeah, as odd as some people find it, Afrin addiction is very real and no joke, it becomes a vicious cycle. Have you done any research on the one nostril at a time taper, interesting stuff. I am just throwing this out there, and is something that dawned on me...a potential side effect of Afrin is elevated b/p and hr, perhaps that could be playing a part in what is going on. It may be worth a mention to doc if you haven't already, the two may not be related at all, but I think it is important to explore every angle with any health related concern, especially as distressing as yours is. As far as the Xanax goes, it may be worth discussing adding a shorter acting benzo (at least temporarily) in addition to the XR. I do not take the prescribing of benzos lightly (no judgment at all, I just think they are very serious business), but it seems like they may be what you at need to get that acute anxiety manageable, in turn making it easier for you to progress in your long term management of the OCD/anxiety. Another thing just to think about is that there are other benzos that may work better for you, so that may be something to discuss with doc as well. Oh, this is important and you probably know this, but it is extremely important that you never stop Xanax or any benzo cold turkey. This can cause seizures and can be deadly, so please don't ever try to do that, you will need to be weaned if you have been taking them for any significant length of time.

Unfortunately, sexual side effects are very common with SSRI's, men and women alike. I wish I had better news about this side effect, actually Wellbutrin is one with a lower incidence of these side effects, but you know that is not a wise option for you.

Aspirin and Tylenol should not be problematic and no tobacco or alcohol use is always good, so it looks like there is no weird drug interaction making your symptoms worse.

How's this for a coincidence, I actually have antecubital tunnel syndrome! It is no fun at all, it drives me nuts.

I hope this helps you a bit, sorry to hear CBT wasn't helpful for you, it has been a Godsend for me, but what works for one person may not be helpful to the next. I truly hope your doc is not dismissing or minimizing your symptoms. Something is going on with you, be it physical or mental and I hope they truly attempt to get to the bottom of what is happening with you. Good thoughts friend, I will check back and be here if you need support.

I originally tried to get off the xanax xr with him and he gave me a script for .5 mg and 1 mg xr. That was a reduction of 25%! Needless to say it did not work. The CBT might've worked, it's just the short amount of time I went (10 sessions), I felt like all I did was talk and never got any activities or told what to do! There is a really good psychologist that my daughter sees for some problems with her real dad dying that is close to me and she does CBT so maybe that's an option. I'm just so tired of these antidepressants and the way they affect me. It's not in my head! Lol. Granted I do have anxiety and OCD but I know there's more than one way to deal with it.

Oh and if it takes awhile to get in my system, as the drs think...how come since day 1 when I started the pill I've had no appetite, upset stomach and a headache? I wonder if these drs got on their meds how they'd feel? Lol. For the past two days I've literally at times felt like I had the flu. I know I keep posting, but I've got so much to talk about n sometimes can't remember it all.

Oh and if it takes awhile to get in my system, as the drs think...how come since day 1 when I started the pill I've had no appetite, upset stomach and a headache? I wonder if these drs got on their meds how they'd feel? Lol. For the past two days I've literally at times felt like I had the flu. I know I keep posting, but I've got so much to talk about n sometimes can't remember it all.
    I think it's great that you keep posting, it really helps sometimes just to get it out. I see what you said about the CBT now, it does take a while to really get rolling with it, I think it really will be beneficial should you give it a go again. I agree about the docs, I would love to know how they would feel on the meds. I think it would be very cool to see a doc that was on these types of meds, personal experience with something like this can really add insight that someone who has never taken the meds cannot really understand. Sure, they may be very well educated about these meds, but unless you've taken them you truly don't know what it FEELS like! Could it just be as simple as a sensitivity to SSRI's? The are other types of antidepressants indicated for OCD as well that are not SSRI's, something else to consider.

I am hitting the hay soon, I get up at 3:45 A every morning for work, so this lady needs her beauty sleep. I will check back tomorrow and see how you are doing. I hope you have a pleasant night, hang in there!

Thanks again for replying. Okay so I decided to do a little experiment. Bp on lexapro for the past 2 days. 150/90. Bp this evening without lexapro 133/84. Normal for me. Go figure.