Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fedupnow
quick ? on clonidine
    sjan17 is offline Member

Default quick ? on clonidine

Anyone....
    Is clonidine ok to take for the sweats if you are on suboxone film? Today was a bit better on 1.5mgs, but the last 2 days was pretty rough with sweating/hotflashes!! It's the only w/d I get that's unbearable to me. I went to my primary and asked for clonidine, told him I'd read it helps with sweats when w/d-ing. He prescribed .01 mg (smallest amt) + it's for lowing BP, and I could use that as I have high BP. I'm on Lorsartan for that, but seems to still spike up. Just need all the help I can get while trying to taper. Thanks all.

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

It would be okay to take clonidine with the subs, but only if your blood pressure spikes up to at least 140/110, and that would call for ONE .1mg clonidine. Don't take more or you could have a pressure drop where it went too low. You can ask your dr if you like but I'm right. If your pressure went up to 180/120 then you would need two .1mg clonidine. I would monitor my blood pressure every four hours, especially if you are replacing the Lorsartan with the clonidine. You could continue to take the Lorsartan and still use the clonidine if you monitor your pressure and follow the aforementioned guidelines. Hope that helps. God bless.

sjan17 is offline Member

Default thank you for you input

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    It would be okay to take clonidine with the subs, but only if your blood pressure spikes up to at least 140/110, and that would call for ONE .1mg clonidine. Don't take more or you could have a pressure drop where it went too low. You can ask your dr if you like but I'm right. If your pressure went up to 180/120 then you would need two .1mg clonidine. I would monitor my blood pressure every four hours, especially if you are replacing the Lorsartan with the clonidine. You could continue to take the Lorsartan and still use the clonidine if you monitor your pressure and follow the aforementioned guidelines. Hope that helps. God bless.
    Hello Robert_325,
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, my BP is always in the 145's/90's (today was 146/92). I really want to do a better job at tapering and staying consistent and I hope this clonidine will help with my sweats during the day so I can not take the sub until time. Yes, I will limit to the clonidine to just once a day. I plan on staying on my one pill of Lorsartan as well. I really hope this helps. The sweats were a bit better today, but I'll be convinced that they've subsided if it continues to stay away of course. I only have 7 films left and I really want to kick this. I've read such horror stories of how hard kicking subs are compared to just going CT, but too late now. I've got to taper so I can be sub-free.

One more ? - do you know if one sees an additionologist, if that shows up on a background check? or does it differ from state to state? Just in case I don't make it with the 7 strips I have left, I was thinking of finding one in my area as I do not have confidence in my PM dr. Please get back with me on this if you know. Thank you for always being on here and for helping us all. You truly are a godsend to us all. It is such a comfort to know you are here for us

fedupnow is offline Member

Hey sjan17 your doing great! I can tell you want this bad!

I also take clonidine and usually only take it at night and only when needed, I will use it more during my jump.. I don't have issue's with the sweats any more because I'm on a pretty low dose.. They pretty much stopped for me around the 1mg mark..

But while i was on methadone or sub's and working in the sun, I always took it to slow the sweats and it works quite well too, You will be good with it. As Robert said keep on eye on your BP and if you feel it slows you down too much then just take a half or quarter..

I find if i take a whole one then it makes me extremely lazy and i don't get up much because it drops your blood pressure pretty good. When i take half I'm fine and can function normally. Sometimes if I'm real busy and think i need it then a quarter does the job too..

Try small doses of it until it kills your sweats and keeps you functioning normally

And don't forget to check on your BP if needed..
    Robert_325 likes this.

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

sjan ..... The subs only show on a drug test if they give you a test that checks for buprenorphine. That takes a higher panel test like a nine or ten panel test. Standard five panels don't check for it, but lots of people are starting to abuse subs so pain drs are going to run a full ten panel. You can count on it.

Clonidine is not checked for being a bp med. You're safe on that one. God bless.

sjan17 is offline Member

Default thanks for writing and staying in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by fedupnow View Post
    Hey sjan17 your doing great! I can tell you want this bad!

I also take clonidine and usually only take it at night and only when needed, I will use it more during my jump.. I don't have issue's with the sweats any more because I'm on a pretty low dose.. They pretty much stopped for me around the 1mg mark..

But while i was on methadone or sub's and working in the sun, I always took it to slow the sweats and it works quite well too, You will be good with it. As Robert said keep on eye on your BP and if you feel it slows you down too much then just take a half or quarter..

I find if i take a whole one then it makes me extremely lazy and i don't get up much because it drops your blood pressure pretty good. When i take half I'm fine and can function normally. Sometimes if I'm real busy and think i need it then a quarter does the job too..

Try small doses of it until it kills your sweats and keeps you functioning normally

And don't forget to check on your BP if needed..
    Hey Fedupnow,
    Yeah, I want this bad....It's like I'm in constant w/d..my back pain is getting really bad and the subs help with that as it takes the edge off the pain about 15 minutes after I take my dose. Tonight, I took my 2nd dose of .75 at 5:00 and I already feel some discomfort, but plan on fighting it. I just picked up the clonidine so I think I'll try half....thanks for the suggestion. I'm a petite being so maybe that's a good idea to just take half. I was just thinking .1 mg, heck that's nothing so I was going to take the whole thing. Anyway, I'll see if half does anything since my head is starting to feel hot. I sure hope you're right about the sweats and hotness going away soon as I will be at 1mg's soon. Man, I wish I didn't have this upper back pain...would make it a bit easier, but then, they say, once the drugs are out of you, the pain somehow may not be as bad. I'm probably at the worse place right now. I, being that I never detoxed before think this is not as easy as I thought I read it to be...I have found that it depends who's postings you read. Some say weaning from subs is a nightmare. I wouldn't say that, but I certainly don't think it's a cakewalk.
    So, how are you doing? So glad to know you and others on here are all on the same journey. It is truly comforting to me and I am determined to make it. I only have 7 films left..I'm taking it one day at a time though. Hey, can I ask, how much do you pay when you go see your PM dr for subs? Mine charges 300.00 each visit...and I don't have any confidence in her ability....she didn't do the induction right AT ALL, way overdosaged me to start and I put up a fight and said NO to taking more.

Anyway...I'll deal with this decision when I get closer to running out and see where I am at. Thinking of finding and going to an addictionologist as they do not prescribe narcotics or pain, only the subs. They don't try to keep you hooked I wouldn't think. I asked Robert and I'll ask you too, do you know if you go see one, if it shows up on your background check? Just curious... it may differ state to state. I'm in FL, you're in Canada - correct?

sjan17 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    sjan ..... The subs only show on a drug test if they give you a test that checks for buprenorphine. That takes a higher panel test like a nine or ten panel test. Standard five panels don't check for it, but lots of people are starting to abuse subs so pain drs are going to run a full ten panel. You can count on it.

Clonidine is not checked for being a bp med. You're safe on that one. God bless.
    I guess I wasn't clear...what I meant was if you were say applying for a job and they did a background check on you, if you see a addictionologist, would that show up?

fedupnow is offline Member

Well you might not like this answer but being in canada i was at a methadone clinic and pay nothing to be on the program, doc's and counseling are free here.. We have total health coverage but we deduct more taxes on our pay cheque.. I Also have health insurance through work and pay about $20 for my sub's, whether it's 50 tab's or 100... down fall is, the last while i was getting 2 mg tabs and still pay $20 lol.. hey can't complain tho..

It's very hard to get on Suboxone here in Canada and the only way i could was to go through the methadone clinic i was on at the time..

Also just because it's your first time don't be too worried.. this is probably the 3 time I have detoxed and hate it more because I know exactly what's going to happen lol.. Well never detoxed of sub's so that's new at least..

Also don't pay too much attention to all the horror stories out there, everyone is different and reacts different..

If you have to go back and see your main doctor just do it and don't tell them you have tapered.. I've done this and have gotten urine samples done bi-weekly and was never questioned about it. Just got my script and got out of there! When I finally did tell my doctor i was tapering he was surprisingly ok with it and supported me.

I'm doing good and think I'm finally becoming stable at .50mg.. I will most likely drop to 0.37 tomorrow or sunday.. It's hard at times but this is the price we have to pay to get through this. I can definitely say tapering Sub's is much easier then tapering with methadone.. Also tapers can be done much faster..

Keep in touch, I'm right here with you! we will get through this!