quitting vics switching to subutex
    Anonymous Guest

Default quitting vics switching to subutex

if i've been on 60mg of vicodin 3x a day for 6+months... how long should i wait before taking my first dose of subutex? i have severe back pain, and the doc said switching to subutex may not help at all with the back pain. for this i am scared. so...
    since vics are not long lasting and have a short half life... do i really need to wait 24-48 hours before i dose with subutex? if after going into w/d's and doing this whole thing properly - and my back pain still remains.. can i go back to vicodin and stop the subutex? how does that process work? ill only do that until i can get a surgery scheduled and get prescribed a more potent opiate to help the pain. (been self dosing w/o doc care becuz of no insurance)
    how long after taking subutex will the early w/d symptoms subside?
    hope this makes sense. im just sooo terrified of doing the switch. i dont have clonodine or any help to get me thru the transition process. and im even more terrified of screwing up the switch to subutex and causing the "worse" w/d's that i hear about.
    please help as i took my last dose of vicodins an hour ago.. have my subutex ready to go - and am in the thick of this mess i got myself into.

appreciate the help y'all.
    =z

Robert_325 is offline Retired

I will induct you properly if you want. Here is the link to the sub therapy I used on myself and others for years. Let me know if you want my help. I could induct you at about 3mg. God bless.

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...apy-50887.html
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

yezdegerd is offline Senior Member

You should probably follow Roberts advice, it sounds like your doctor has given you absolutely no information on this subject. First off though let me say that if you're planning on using opiates in the future don't bother with the subs. All you'll do is raise your tolerance. Subutex also DOES NOT HELP WITH PAIN! So if you're using it for a longer acting painkiller, don't. Another thing to note here is its very hard to get a surgery done while using subutex. Many doctors will not operate if they can't ease the pain levels. I hope that covers just about everything.

Cliffs notes- don't use subutex for any reason other than to quit opiates

Subutex does not help with pain

Most doctors won't perform surgery if you're on subs

Once you've been on subs for a while vicodin will do nothing for you

If you do intend on quitting today you need to follow the link Robert provided. In it you'll find a link to the COWS worksheet where you need to score a minimum of a 26 to induct. Follow Robert for the induction so you can start at thwarting lowest effective dose. If you don't and take 8-24mg like a doctor will tell you to do, you'll feel like a retarded zombie and have one heck of a time quitting. Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by yezdegerd View Post
    You should probably follow Roberts advice, it sounds like your doctor has given you absolutely no information on this subject. First off though let me say that if you're planning on using opiates in the future don't bother with the subs. All you'll do is raise your tolerance. Subutex also DOES NOT HELP WITH PAIN! So if you're using it for a longer acting painkiller, don't. Another thing to note here is its very hard to get a surgery done while using subutex. Many doctors will not operate if they can't ease the pain levels. I hope that covers just about everything.

Cliffs notes- don't use subutex for any reason other than to quit opiates

Subutex does not help with pain

Most doctors won't perform surgery if you're on subs

Once you've been on subs for a while vicodin will do nothing for you

If you do intend on quitting today you need to follow the link Robert provided. In it you'll find a link to the COWS worksheet where you need to score a minimum of a 26 to induct. Follow Robert for the induction so you can start at thwarting lowest effective dose. If you don't and take 8-24mg like a doctor will tell you to do, you'll feel like a retarded zombie and have one heck of a time quitting. Best of luck!

I agree with everything except that drs can work around subs at a very low dose if they are aware you're on them. That's another reason I induct at such a low dose, in case of an emergency surgery. They can use drugs to compensate for the subs. But if a person is planning on going right back on opiates I would probably not mess with subs either.;

Subs are sometimes prescribed off label for chronic pain as with RA and some other illnesses but for bad acute injury they don't cut it for pain. Drs have used buprenorphine for chronic pain in other countries for years. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

yezdegerd is offline Senior Member

I basically just added that post so he/she didn't waste their and your time unless they were committed to quitting. I just read some confusion in there as far as what it would actually help with. They also mentioned a surgery and then a stronger medication which gave me the assumption subs would be a temporary thing.

You were right basically. That is why I said that if they were going right back to opiates I wouldn't do it either. It would be a waste of everyone's time, I agree with you..