Robert...question please.
    hatethefire is offline Junior Member

Default Robert...question please.

I asked this in my thread below but it got glossed over...what do you think?:

Robert...finally got going after a couple of scheduling setbacks. I am just in the beginning but have a well plotted schedule.

I have a question about bad pain days however. In the past I took a single 10/325 hydrocodone/APAP in addition to the tramadol on bad days...maybe once or twice a week. Today is one of those really bad days and I want to check with you and see if doing so would mess up the tramadol taper since it is still an opiod.

Basically what I am asking is can I keep taking the Hydro on bad flare days during this....or will that screw it up?

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by hatethefire View Post
    I asked this in my thread below but it got glossed over...what do you think?:

Robert...finally got going after a couple of scheduling setbacks. I am just in the beginning but have a well plotted schedule.

I have a question about bad pain days however. In the past I took a single 10/325 hydrocodone/APAP in addition to the tramadol on bad days...maybe once or twice a week. Today is one of those really bad days and I want to check with you and see if doing so would mess up the tramadol taper since it is still an opiod.

Basically what I am asking is can I keep taking the Hydro on bad flare days during this....or will that screw it up?

I wouldn't do it. You're going to have lots of hard days getting off these things. If you take hydrocodone when you feel badly you're only going to prolong your agony. Plus you need to stick with one drug on a taper. Using multiple opiates is addictive behavior and not conducive to your ultimate success. Take it ten minutes at a time if you have to. You can do this. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Great...that's not what I was hoping to hear.

I think I may forget this because I am in severe pain and was before I was on meds. Since there is nothing else I can substitute or at least help me survive the days I want to shoot myself it seems pointless to put myself through this.

I don't have a drug abuse problem and I take low doses...I just wanted to get a baseline on my pain. This is the evil trap...the drugs are bad but there is nothing else to help. I know I cannot survive at full untreated pain levels. I remember them.

Quote Originally Posted by hatethefire View Post
    Great...that's not what I was hoping to hear.

I think I may forget this because I am in severe pain and was before I was on meds. Since there is nothing else I can substitute or at least help me survive the days I want to shoot myself it seems pointless to put myself through this.

I don't have a drug abuse problem and I take low doses...I just wanted to get a baseline on my pain. This is the evil trap...the drugs are bad but there is nothing else to help. I know I cannot survive at full untreated pain levels. I remember them.

I didn't intend to upset you as some people need pain medication and don't have any business NOT taking any. I agree with you. I was only saying what you should do if you wanted to be clean.

If you honestly think you feel like shooting yourself ( though I actually held a cocked 9mm to my own head at one time from being in pain) then perhaps you should accept the reality of your pain and medicate yourself accordingly. Pain can be debilitating. But that is a decision you have to make for yourself. And I mean that with all respect and sincerity.

If you require pain meds for life however I would get with a good pain dr who will properly assess you and put you on the correct medication for your issues. I'm not saying you're on the wrong meds, just be sure they are what's best for you. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

No no you didn't upset me. You are helping. I just wish there was an alternative. I am sick of tramadol...it like all meds come with just as many costs and problems as benefits but I have no options. Can't live with them and can't live without them.

Doctors are worthless and incompetent a lot of the time. Pain management docs in general have bad attitudes and assume a lot. I am as tired of them as I am the meds.

No idea what to do. Nothing works. Nothing mainstream....nothing alternative....not praying...not begging. Nothing.

I had to spend 30min arguing with secretaries a few days ago before being "allowed" to get an injection I was scheduled for because I had not paid yet even though I had arranged it. No money...no care. Yay America.

I am having a rough time with this spread. I am starting to get bad anxiety and that is the symptom I am least tough about dealing with.

I am 3 cycles in meaning doses are 33 hours apart rather than 24 and my body doesn't like it. I feel like I go through a mini withdrawal everytime the 24hrs passes. Up to this point it was just the aching and pain that got worse but now anxiety is popping up.

I have considered again getting the 50s and doing it MaisieC's way just to get it done and over but I don't know if I could really handle that either. I never could before though I didn't do it quite as regimented as either of you suggested.

Things are really stressful right now and I just don't have a way to bury my head and take it without family making it worse for me. I need to do it without freaking out and losing my bearing. But the anxiety is my mortal enemy. I don't know if I should try getting on Lexapro again to counter the loss of the antidepressant effect as I am coming off the tramadol or if it will just make things worse. I don't feel confortable experimenting with things like 5-HTP in the middle of battle.

I don't know if I can manage this. And then as mentioned above there is the pain issue. I feel trapped. The meds make me feel horrible but the pain is bad too. Don't know what to do and am feeling really bad now.

If you're having trouble with this way then going with Maisie's suggestions would be best. Then you can get it over with. No sense in stretching it out if it's not going to work. I would get the 50s and do like she said. God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    If you're having trouble with this way then going with Maisie's suggestions would be best. Then you can get it over with. No sense in stretching it out if it's not going to work. I would get the 50s and do like she said. God bless.
    Either way what about the severe mental effects? Should I start on an SSRI or use one of these "natural options" like 5-htp or something to help with that?

If you can get by with the natural products you're better off. I hate to create a second problem to stop. Unless you're clinically depressed I hate to suggest antidepressants. Try that first and see how you do. Be willing to accept some discomfort for a while in lieu of becoming dependent to an antidepressant that you'll also be stopping in a short time. God bless.