IS it safe to take a Valuim at night, while being on Suboxone
    no_more_tram is offline Member

Exclamation IS it safe to take a Valuim at night, while being on Suboxone

I wanted to know if this is a safe combination. The valium isn't something I would take every night, but it helps with sleep for me. So before I take it, I wanted to know if it's ok to just take one on occasion while being on Suboxone. thanks!

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

They are not a good combination. Not saying you'll die, but most sub drs won't even prescribe subs if you take any benzos. I would try OTC meds first if at all possible. God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    They are not a good combination. Not saying you'll die, but most sub drs won't even prescribe subs if you take any benzos. I would try OTC meds first if at all possible. God bless.
    Thanks for your response Robert. I just have nights where I need help with relaxation, and I got the Valuim from another doctor who prescibed them for my anxiety, just thought that if on occasion I took one it would be ok, thanks.

tired2 is offline Senior Member

Hi..I would have to agree with Robert I wouldn't start taking any benzo with the subs if you were not taking them prior. They are very additive even just taking them for a short time .You can become addicted in as little as two weeks. It's way to easy to say just this once next thing you know you are taking them all the time.
    I had been on every pain med and several benzo's for over 25 yrs . I did the sub taper first back in mid March and have been opiate free for a little over 16weeks now. I have started my benzo taper back in July with Robert and it is worse than any other taper . I even found myself increasing my benzo's on the sub taper way to easy just to sleep . I would say just this time but then it was a habit..the sad part was I would still have problems sleeping.
    Sorry I don't mean to tell you what to do I can only share from my own experiences. I'd hate to see anyone one start another addition while getting off another.
    Pam

Quote Originally Posted by tired2 View Post
    Hi..I would have to agree with Robert I wouldn't start taking any benzo with the subs if you were not taking them prior. They are very additive even just taking them for a short time .You can become addicted in as little as two weeks. It's way to easy to say just this once next thing you know you are taking them all the time.
    I had been on every pain med and several benzo's for over 25 yrs . I did the sub taper first back in mid March and have been opiate free for a little over 16weeks now. I have started my benzo taper back in July with Robert and it is worse than any other taper . I even found myself increasing my benzo's on the sub taper way to easy just to sleep . I would say just this time but then it was a habit..the sad part was I would still have problems sleeping.
    Sorry I don't mean to tell you what to do I can only share from my own experiences. I'd hate to see anyone one start another addition while getting off another.
    Pam
    Thanks so much for your response. I appreciate it, and I definitely don't want to start another addiction or habit!!

11Bravo is offline Junior Member

Default really a matter of dose and timeing

I took benzos on and off during a full blown opiate habit. I even took klonapin 1 mg for like 4 months straight a few times a day for what they thought might be panic attacks. Mind you I was on 100s of mgs of oxy. Now I am not telling you to get all Heath Ledger on me...but...just to provide some balance to whats been said thus far... its really about tolerance. I would not take the meds together-your just inviting trouble with any 2 depressant type drugs. But if you say were on a regiment(hypothetically) of 4 mg Subs 2 times a day(say at 6am and then at 12 noon) then went to bed at 8 pm and took 2.5mgs of Valium..I would be very surprised if you have a problem. i would on occasion take 10 mgs(knockout strength for me) of Valium at night to help me sleep while on sub and also while tapering it. Keep your meds with the same doctor though so he can monitor your dose. As far as addictiveness I have heard so many people with so many problems with benzos-that's never been me though thank god. But I dont like Alcohol either and benzos and alcohol are both GABAergic which explains to me why I never had a problem. When I tapered off the klonopin I felt a little squarally but nothing major. The moral of the story is this: if you cant sleep and are going nuts from sleep deprivation and your one doc is handling both meds and is closely monitoring your dose and timing then you should not have a problem.
    For me benzos are the only thing that will make me sleep if i am sleepless.