Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Soma
    nycemsmedic is offline New Member

Default Soma

Soma
    Generic Name: carisoprodol
    Treatment for: carisoprodol is a muscle relaxant used to treat injuries and other painful muscular conditions.

Have you taken or do you take Soma?
    We want to hear your story. Please feel free to share your experiences.

Consumer Information at:
    https://www.drugs.com/soma.html

Professional Information at
    https://www.drugs.com/pro/soma.html
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-29-2008 at 12:45 AM.

Bosli222 is offline New Member

I'm not sure of the long-term effects but soma definately does put you in a relaxed, opiate like state. There are certain bad side effects that come with the use of soma though, there's a common side-effect coined the "Soma Shuffles." This is where one takes soma (sometimes too much) and experiences a shaky, tremor-like state. I've experience it myself, I wouldn't go as far as saying that it's like a convulsion but it's a strong effect. As far as I know soma is the strongest muscle-relaxant available on the market, I know I enjoy it.

anhalonium9 is offline New Member

for your info, carisoprodol(soma)is converted into meprobamate (miltown/equinil) by the body. that's why soma is so relaxing. meprobamate is an addictive tranquilizer similar to benzodiazipines, barbituates, or methaqualone. it is also a schedule IV controlled substance. so soma is not a controlled substance, but its effects are very similar or identical to one.

most people don't know. they only know they like the way soma makes them feel.

link:http://www.usdoj.gov/ndic/pubs10/10913/index.htm

queen_B is offline New Member

My mother took soma one week later she passed away in her sleep we still haven't found out the cause but i believe soma killed her. we should look at drugs more carefully b/c they could kill us. she hated having to take medicine such as muscle relaxers and pain killers. the doctor had her on vicodin and soma that i believe is what killed her. my question is.... is the mixture of soma and vicodin deadly?

quote:Originally posted by nycemsmedic

Soma
    Treatment for: carisoprodol is a muscle relaxant used to treat injuries and other painful muscular conditions.

Consumer Information at

hey all was just wondering if anyone was familiar with soma(carasopradol). what are the long term side effects, and the like. i have taken flexeral for my back, but soma really works for me. it not only dulls the pain, but puts me in a realaxed state. i really dislike
    opiates so i am kinda thinking that this it the best solution. thanks.
    [xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]

she_hermit1 is offline New Member

As home health care provider for a long-term, now bedridden, pain patient, I have thoughts and over twenty years of personal experience to share with you about soma and opoids. But first, I need to collect my thoughts and data to made sure I a can prove, verify, etc what I post before posting an informative message.

So please stay tuned, I'll be back online in a couple of days with some helpful info for you all.

she_hermit1

PMANN is offline New Member

Soma

Consumer Information at

hey all was just wondering if anyone was familiar with soma(carasopradol). what are the long term side effects, and the like. i have taken flexeral for my back, but soma really works for me. it not only dulls the pain, but puts me in a realaxed state. i really dislike
    PATRICIA MANN

PMANN is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by queen_B

My mother took soma one week later she passed away in her sleep we still haven't found out the cause but i believe soma killed her. we should look at drugs more carefully b/c they could kill us. she hated having to take medicine such as muscle relaxers and pain killers. the doctor had her on vicodin and soma that i believe is what killed her. my question is.... is the mixture of soma and vicodin deadly?

Soma

Consumer Information at

REPLY............ANY DRUG CAN BE DEADLY. ONE SHOULD BE MONITORED FOR THE USE AND EFFECTS OF ANY MEDICATION.
    DID YOUR MOTHER TAKE AS DIRECTED, DID SHE TAKE IT EVERYDAY BEFORE HER DEATH ONE NIGHT? DID SHE TAKE IT WITH THE VICODIN, AND HAVE ANY COMPLAINTS PRIOR TO HER DEATH ABOUT PROBLEMS SHE WAS HAVING TAKING THESE TWO MEDS?
    WHAT DID HER DOCTOR SAY REGARDING THIS QUESTION YOU HAVE, OR HAVE YOU SPOKE WITH THEM ABOUT YOUR CONCERNS.
    THE CORONER SHOULD KNOW THAT YOU ARE CONCERNED ABOUT THESE DRUGS AND YOU AS A FAMILY MEMBER COULD ORDER A TOXIC WORK UP ON HER.
    I AM SO SORRY YOU LOST YOUR MOTHER.
    THERE MAY OR MAY NOT BE A CONNECTION TO THE MEDS AND HER SUDDEN DEATH, BUT IT DOES NOT MAKE IT ANY EASIER RIGHT NOW LOOSING YOUR MOTHER!
    BLESSINGS GO TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

PATRICIA MANN
    Daisy27 likes this.

miznye is offline New Member

I HAVE BEEN A SOMA USER SINCE 1989 AND STILL CURRENTLY TAKE THEM. MY RX IS FOR 240 A MONTH. I HAVENT FOUND ANY REAL SIDE EFFECTS EXCEPT THAT IF I TAKE TOO MANY , FOR EXAMPLE I TAKE MY USUAL NIGHTLY AMOUNT OF TWO PILLS, SOMETIMES I FIND THAT IT ISNT WORKING AND I WILL TAKE A COUPLE MORE....ON OCCASSIONS I WILL EXPERIENCE LEG JERKING. WHICH IS UNCONTROLLABLE. I HAVE ALSO FOUND THAT IF I AM GETTING TO THE POINT WHERE THE USUAL DOSAGE ISNT WORKING...I WILL NOT TAKE ANY FOR 30 DAYS, THEN WHEN I START TAKING THEM AGAIN THEY SEEM TO WORK THE WAY THEY SHOULD. I HAVE HAD MULTIPLE BACK SURGERIES, AND THEN BROKE 4 VERTABRAE
    2 YEARS AGO.....SO I SUFFER SERIOUS PAIN IN THE BACK, AND WITHOUT THEM I WOULDNT BE ABLE TO LAY DOWN IN BED FOR ANY SUBSTANIAL PERIOD OF TIME LET ALONE GET ANY SLEEP WITH MY BACK. I WAS TOLD MY SURGEON IN 1989 THAT THEY WERE NOT ADDICTIVE.......BUT I TELL YOU WITHOUT THEM I CAN HARDLY MOVE.....AND WITH THEM LIFE IS A LOT MORE TOLERABLE.

sherry nye

hberry is offline New Member

DOES ANYONE KNOW A GOOD/TRUSTWORTHY WEBSITE TO ORDER SOMA'S WITHOUT A PRESCRIPT FROM A DOCTOR?
    I WAS SING MYRXFORLESS.COM- IT N LONGER EXISTS! I HAVE CHRONIC PAIN IN MY MUSCLES DUE TO SCOLIOSIS AND INTERFERON TREATMENT BUT LIVE IN HOLLAND WHERE THEY PRESCRIBE NOTHING STRONGER THAN AN ASPRIN I NEED HELP DESPERATELY! BUT, IT ALSO HAS TO BE AFFORDABLE! I WAS PAYING UNDER 40 CENTS ON THE MENTIONED WEBSITE.
    PLEASE HELP! THANKS!

J.D. is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by miznye

I HAVE BEEN A SOMA USER SINCE 1989 AND STILL CURRENTLY TAKE THEM. MY RX IS FOR 240 A MONTH. I HAVENT FOUND ANY REAL SIDE EFFECTS EXCEPT THAT IF I TAKE TOO MANY , FOR EXAMPLE I TAKE MY USUAL NIGHTLY AMOUNT OF TWO PILLS, SOMETIMES I FIND THAT IT ISNT WORKING AND I WILL TAKE A COUPLE MORE....ON OCCASSIONS I WILL EXPERIENCE LEG JERKING. WHICH IS UNCONTROLLABLE. I HAVE ALSO FOUND THAT IF I AM GETTING TO THE POINT WHERE THE USUAL DOSAGE ISNT WORKING...I WILL NOT TAKE ANY FOR 30 DAYS, THEN WHEN I START TAKING THEM AGAIN THEY SEEM TO WORK THE WAY THEY SHOULD. I HAVE HAD MULTIPLE BACK SURGERIES, AND THEN BROKE 4 VERTABRAE
    2 YEARS AGO.....SO I SUFFER SERIOUS PAIN IN THE BACK, AND WITHOUT THEM I WOULDNT BE ABLE TO LAY DOWN IN BED FOR ANY SUBSTANIAL PERIOD OF TIME LET ALONE GET ANY SLEEP WITH MY BACK. I WAS TOLD MY SURGEON IN 1989 THAT THEY WERE NOT ADDICTIVE.......BUT I TELL YOU WITHOUT THEM I CAN HARDLY MOVE.....AND WITH THEM LIFE IS A LOT MORE TOLERABLE.

sherry nye
    I'm very sorry for the pain you are in and have been through. I do hope there is something out there to help you.

240 a month? Is the same doctor who told you they are not addictive still prescribing them to you - after 16 years? And I'm really surprised a pharmacist would fill that month after month. It seems that if you've been taking 240 pills a month for the same condition - I don't know, maybe there's another kind of treatment.

May I say your surgeon was wrong? Soma is soooo addictive, most of the doctors around here refuse to even prescribe it. Life was more tolerable for me, too, when I was taking them by the handful and passing out in all kinds of places. Of course it wasn't all that tolerable for my family. I hope you find a way to feel better soon - without being all doped up.
    Daisy27 likes this.

bobbyslady is offline Junior Member

This is to the Queen B whose mother died while taking soma and vicodin.I was also on both of these meds for over a year and I did fine on them only they didnt take away the pain as much as my oxycontin and soma does.Your mother couldve had an allergic reaction to one of the meds though so anything is possible.Im so sorry to hear about your loss though and hope this helps at least a little.

This is to Queen B,I took soma and vicodin for years and did okay.Your mother might have had an allergic reaction to them or even one of them. I totally agree about getting a toxicology done,maybe that will give you some answers to put your mind to rest.I overdosed once on 1 pill because I had an extreme allergic reaction to it and my heart stopped beating but of course they brought me back so anything is possible.You need answers and I say dont stop untill you get them,go to the coroner,her doctor,anything you can think of.Im so sorry for your loss and God Bless you.

thanks a bunch will try the above mentioned websites!

thanks again bobbyslady. I tried United Pharmacy sine they were really cheap but, they said that they do not carry them anymore [V] but, i found one of my own - that delivers over here in Europe and a doctor in the Netherlands actually wrote the prescription- i do not know if this was a coincidence or if they have doctors who live in your own country actually write the script for legal reasons? - meds4yourhealth.com - but, I ordered them and had them within a week. Haven't tried them out yet- made in the UK- Carisoma. But, am very pleased with the service and price- about 0,50 EUR cents per tablet. more than from the last place I ordered form - but, A LOT cheaper than most. What I don't get about this whole thing is, why does this drug not exist in Holland? Does anyone know what is up with that?
    thanks again bobbyslady. will keep you informed on how these treat me.

quote:Originally posted by hberry

thanks again bobbyslady. I tried United Pharmacy sine they were really cheap but, they said that they do not carry them anymore [V] but, i found one of my own - that delivers over here in Europe and a doctor in the Netherlands actually wrote the prescription- i do not know if this was a coincidence or if they have doctors who live in your own country actually write the script for legal reasons? - meds4yourhealth.com - but, I ordered them and had them within a week. Haven't tried them out yet- made in the UK- Carisoma. But, am very pleased with the service and price- about 0,50 EUR cents per tablet. more than from the last place I ordered form - but, A LOT cheaper than most. What I don't get about this whole thing is, why does this drug not exist in Holland? Does anyone know what is up with that?
    thanks again bobbyslady. will keep you informed on how these treat me.
    I dont know why they dont have them in Holland.Alot of doc's think they are toxic and dont like to give them out.I did some research and they are only toxic in high doses in pregnant lab rats,since Im not pregnant or a lab rat I told the doc I didnt have to worry about that......lol.Did united pharmacies tell you they didnt carry them anymore or just didnt have them in right now? I hate to lose that site because they are the cheapest,most places the most you can get is 120 at a time and UP you could get 250.I hope they didnt stop carrying them,that will be really expensive on me since I take more than 120 a month I didnt know you werent in the US,the places I order from I can get overnight but Im in the US And so are they.Any place that isnt takes 1-2 weeks.If I run across any others in your neck of the woods so to speak Ill let you know.Hope they help and here's wishing you pain free days!

Did united pharmacies tell you they didnt carry them anymore or just didnt have them in right now? I hate to lose that site because they are the cheapest,most places the most you can get is 120 at a time and UP you could get 250.-
    Well, they actually told me the didin't carry them anymore! [V]
    But, like I said the one pharmacy i ordered from- meds4yourhealth.com - delivers to the US and delivers free.but, yes, they are more expensive than United Pharmacies- there, they were too cheap to be true. as was the other site i ordered from that is no longer there!
    good luck and we will keep filling each other in

But, like I said the one pharmacy i ordered from- meds4yourhealth.com - delivers to the US and delivers free.but, yes, they are more expensive than United Pharmacies- there, they were too cheap to be true. as was the other site i ordered from that is no longer there!
    I ordered and recieved from there a few times but it figures they dont carry them anymore.It was the best deal Ive found.I am fighting with a company now that Ive ordered from in the past with no problems and this time they took the money out of my bank account and didnt send the soma and every email I send them bounces back and they wont return my phone calls so I called my credit union to have them take off the charge because I didnt get what I paid for,my credit union is real good about taking off the charges too.So whatever you do dont EVER order from eprescriptionsmd.com or eprescriptions.com,not sure which one it is but they are a rip off!!Let me know if they help you and take care.

Ariel4444 is offline New Member

I was just recently introduced to Soma, 3 months ago. I have neck and lower back pain and one in the morning works fine for me. If I have a hard time falling asleep, it works at night but I also find myself waking up around 2 or 3 am when it wears off. So I stick to taking it in the morning. I can say with conviction, that they can be EXTREMLEY addicting!!! My Co- workers are messed up on them half the time and it's very frustrating. I've seen the soma shakes, the soma-coma, irritability afterwards, forgetfulness is a biggie too! It's depressing and frustrating. I've seen the effects of people taking 3 or even 5 at a shot if you can believe it. It's horrendous. It's nothing to fool around with. Yes, I experimented with them at first like most people do, I didn't like how I felt when I took 2 at once. I also noticed that sometimes it affects you differently than other times. Once, I took one at 9am and then one at 12pm and it knocked me for a loop. Never again, I'm telling you all, IT'S NOT SOMETHING TO BE ABUSED. Please be careful!!!!

A major thing I forgot to mention. Even if you take one in the morning,, word to the wise,, if you drink alcohol at night it will KICK YOUR BUTT!!! You may not feel the effects of soma, but the alcohol will!!!!

quote:Originally posted by Ariel4444

[font=Arial] I can say with conviction, that they can be EXTREMLEY addicting!!! My Co- workers are messed up on them half the time and it's very frustrating. I've seen the soma shakes, the soma-coma, irritability afterwards, forgetfulness is a biggie too! It's depressing and frustrating.
    Yes some of those side affects do appear in some people but soma being extremely addicting is a matter of opinion.Ive been on them for years on and off and at the times I was off of them I had no problems or withdrawals other than the other meds didnt control the pain and spasms.Some people have addictive personalities,this Ive even verified by a doctor,so no matter what they take they become addicted so you cant necessarily blame it on the soma.I respect your opinion and am not trying to put you down but from my experience and my mom's it hasnt been addictive.Like I said,it all depends on the person,their system,their behaviour,there are many variables.If you dont like the affect it has on you tho by all means get off of it,it isnt for everyone I totally agree on that.Some of us tho have to have it not because addiction but because its the only thing that works.Good luck to you and here's wishing you pain free days.God bless.

Some of us tho have to have it not because addiction but because its the only thing that works.

yes, it is he only thing that works for me as well. the doctors here in holland try to give me diazepam- that just doesn't cut it.
    but, i do notice that sometimes it definately affects me more than others. that part i do not like- i like to know what to expect. but, most of the time, it is ok. Especially since i am not driving over here.with this med, i would be extremely careful if driving a car!

I agree. I only take one per day if needed so obviously I'm not suffering as much as most have from what I read here. I just wanted to put my opinion up here as to what I've seen when it's abused. I hope that tid bit of advice makes someone, anyone think twice, before abusing it.

olwitch is offline New Member

My two centsI have tryed most of the other muscle relaxants, flexiral makes my head spin, and the others wouldn't touch the spasms. I am prescribed 3 a day by my reg. Doc yet, I built up a tolerance and have to order online. I probably take too many some days, but I have been without and the only withdrawel was lack of sleep. I also must use Davacet to just get out of bed in the am, take 2 and wait for the pain/stiffness to ease away. Davacet seems to give me energy. The soma stops the spasms.
    I apprecieate the new online sites, as I had been paying more than that.
    ANYONE can die at any time, some people are much more drug sensitive than others. You have to wiegh the risks/and functionality of a quality life.
    I don't like the soma shakes, yet I can simply eat anything and it goes away right away.[:X]

quote:Originally posted by olwitch

My two centsI have tryed most of the other muscle relaxants, flexiral makes my head spin, and the others wouldn't touch the spasms. I am prescribed 3 a day by my reg. Doc yet, I built up a tolerance and have to order online. I probably take too many some days, but I have been without and the only withdrawel was lack of sleep. I also must use Davacet to just get out of bed in the am, take 2 and wait for the pain/stiffness to ease away. Davacet seems to give me energy. The soma stops the spasms.
    I apprecieate the new online sites, as I had been paying more than that.
    ANYONE can die at any time, some people are much more drug sensitive than others. You have to wiegh the risks/and functionality of a quality life.
    I don't like the soma shakes, yet I can simply eat anything and it goes away right away.[:X]
    You sound just like me,I too have built up an tolerance to it and have to supplement with buying online.I get the shakes sometimes but usually only in the mornings and it does affect me differently at times also.Sometimes it only curbs the spasms and sometimes I get loopy,I hate that part but as you say you never know when its going to do that and really nothing you can do about it other than not take it and have NO quality of life,at least I dont.I will admit one thing,and Im sure this will be taken by some the wrong way but thats okay ,I do start to panic a little when I see Im running out but NOT because Im addicted its because I know then the spasms will come back ten fold and I do NOT want to go thru that anymore than I have to.All medications are different for everyone and therefore I dont try to critisize anyone's opinion of any drug,I am a little bit more passionate about oxy's tho because Im tired of them having a bad name because MOSTLY being misused and worrying about them taking one of the only meds off the market that even allows me to get out of bed in the morning or be able to walk at all with the help of my cane.But I respect the right to agree to disagree Here's wishing you all pain free days.

quote:Originally posted by Ariel4444

I agree. I only take one per day if needed so obviously I'm not suffering as much as most have from what I read here. I just wanted to put my opinion up here as to what I've seen when it's abused. I hope that tid bit of advice makes someone, anyone think twice, before abusing it.
    First of all you ARE very lucky to only have to take 1 a day and I hope you remain that way.Second I totally agree with you that I hope our experiences and advice can help someone to not abuse ANY medication to the point of being dangerous to themselves.I truly value your opinion,we all have a little something to give that might help others.

quote:Originally posted by bobbyslady

I ordered and recieved from there a few times but it figures they dont carry them anymore.It was the best deal Ive found.I am fighting with a company now that Ive ordered from in the past with no problems and this time they took the money out of my bank account and didnt send the soma and every email I send them bounces back and they wont return my phone calls so I called my credit union to have them take off the charge because I didnt get what I paid for,my credit union is real good about taking off the charges too.So whatever you do dont EVER order from eprescriptionsmd.com or eprescriptions.com,not sure which one it is but they are a rip off!!Let me know if they help you and take care.
    UPDATE:
    I finally recieved the meds and found out the reason it took so long is because they moved distribution centers so they were behind.They said they would give me a 15% rebate but I havent seen it yet,they mightve meant on my next purchase,Im not sure.

M Lewis is offline New Member

Soma 4 me is a better choice except for the fact the first time I took it with VICODEN 10 MG 4-5 TIMES A DAY FOR YEARS.But with soma my famly said They found me past out asleep in the middle of the floor. It Difently WILL reduce breathing. On a elderly patiant it Can Be Deadly when combine.

quote:Originally posted by queen_B

Soma

Consumer Information at

optimist is offline New Member

i have used soma for some years now, and i find it to be invaluable for my condition. i also take loratab. the combination helps me be mobile to work and acctually get out of bed in the morning. there is nothing more doctors will do, as there is so many things wrong with my back. i've tried just about everything on the market, including non-narcaotic drugs but nothing else worked. i don't experience the shakiness someone had talked about because of taking too much. i just take what i need. all i have is my medication and try to keep a positive outlook. i might add that my tolerence to pain medication is high, and i could be taking stronger pain meds, but i'm sticking to what i believe is the less stronger meds, simply because i don't want to not be able to function at all. hope this helped at least one person.

DBel is offline New Member

My 41 year old sister died one year ago today at 2 p.m. CST from a SOMA overdose. She had been addicted to SOMA's for 3+ years. She was prescribed 90 pills on Monday 11/15/04 and she died exactly 48 hours later. The doctor who prescribed these pills is a Louisiana doctor whom I believe knew he was prescribing SOMA's to an addict who did not have a medicinal need for this drug. I am appalled at the ease of obtaining this pharmaceutical legally and from information received, illegally ("street" sources) also. My sister had been clean for 3 months from this drug and through rehab more than once. The only option we had left was to seek involuntary commitment for mental health reasons. Regretfully, I did not move through the judiciary system to try the last hope of saving her life soon enough. She died in vain unless someone else reads this and thinks twice about using any drug, prescription for an illegal purpose or otherwise "street drugs". She left two children, one of whom was 10 years old and the pain that she ended for herself has only begun for the rest of the family she left behind.

thanks for the help, insomniac. i knew about xl pharmacy, but not the other. I am tryingt o placeans orderthrough them right now, but there is something wrong with their payment part right now so i am waiting until they call or email me back and hopefully we can get this straightened out. i am all out and in a lot of pain!
    and easymeds2005, i am afraid there is nothing you can do to help unless you deliver to the netherlands? would you be willing to? nhow much is it for Watson brand?
    I go home to America once or twice per year so i might be able to get thm fomr you then if your prices are right sinceI prefer Watson.
    please loet me know.
    thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast