Sub question for Robert....
    bschao is offline Member

Default Sub question for Robert....

Hi Robert,

You've been helping me taper off of my sub..thanks so much for all of your help! I'm hitting some bumps so it's slowing me down a bit..but I'll just keep plugging along.

My question is....if I take a pain med such as a darvocet or a vicodin would it help me at all with pain since I am on the sub? I am a chronic pain patient and it was my choice to come off of my pain meds I used for 3 years..but there would be no point in taking anything b/c of the naloxone component in sub correct? I'm probably answering my own question, but just wanted to ask the expert
    I've just been having a lot of pain the past few days.

Thanks,
    Sherrie

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

You dose of pain med woudl not cut through the sub in your brain receptors. It's not the nalaxone but the bupernorphine. The nalaxone is only put in sub to stop people from injecting nad snorting sub. It has a short half life and is barely absorebed when taken under the tongue. But the bupe itself will block the effect of ordinary pain meds. This is why you are advised to stop the sub for a few days before any kind of elective surgery.

bschao is offline Member

Thanks for the reply. So, if I was taking Subutex instead..a pain med would help me then since there is only naloxone in it?
    I may be having a surgery in the near future..that is why I'm inquiring, and also am a chronic pain patient.

Thanks,
    Sherrie

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by bschao View Post
    Thanks for the reply. So, if I was taking Subutex instead..a pain med would help me then since there is only naloxone in it?
    I may be having a surgery in the near future..that is why I'm inquiring, and also am a chronic pain patient.

Thanks,
    Sherrie

Sherrie ........ Subutex is straight buprenorphine. It has NO naloxone in it. Bottom line is you don't take pain meds while on either subutex or suboxone as the active ingredient in both drugs is the buprenorphine.

Most of us are chronic pain patients originally. If you give this some time to get clean and reassess your situation you'll find like the rest of us that your pain level is actually less without the pain meds as opiate dependency is painful in itself with you going into w/d every four hours or so. Hope that makes sense. There is NO USE to be taking pain meds while on any subs PERIOD.

When you know the actual date of the surgery let me know and we'll make plans to work around that date. I know how to do it I promise you. God bless..
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-07-2010 at 01:59 PM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

bschao is offline Member

Thanks Robert. My pain level is less now than what it was when I was taking oxycodone and morphine..so I'm very happy about that.
    Unfortunately, I do still have chronic pain and probably will for quite some time.
    I'm currently at the 1.9mg of suboxone. I went back up b/c the anxiety level was getting soooo bad..I just don't understand it. Man I wish I could get off of this medicine..but I know it's a slow process, it just gets frustrating sometimes ya know?

Have a great day,
    Sherrie

Thanks Robert. My pain level is less now than what it was when I was taking oxycodone and morphine..so I'm very happy about that.
    Unfortunately, I do still have chronic pain and probably will for quite some time.
    I'm currently at the 1.9mg of suboxone. I went back up b/c the anxiety level was getting soooo bad..I just don't understand it. Man I wish I could get off of this medicine..but I know it's a slow process, it just gets frustrating sometimes ya know?

Have a great day,
    Sherrie

Sherrie ....... No one said this would be fun but you've got to hang in there long enough for the miracle to happen. Don't give up on yourself. You can do this, just keep on the taper plan.

Talk to me and if you're freaking with pain we'll figure out something. But know it's going to be a little uncomfortable. It's part of the deal. But you'll feel better the lower your dose gets. Hang in there. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

bschao is offline Member

Thanks for the encouragement! I just don't understand why the anxiety gets soooo bad. If it wasn't for that..I could keep on going..I can handle the pain much better than the anxiety and panic.

Ok, so I am going to cut down to 1.4mg tomorrow and hopefully not need to add any extra slivers.
    Robert....if I can push through the anxiety without adding any slivers and staying on each dose for 4 to 5 days..will the anxiety get worse if I just keep up the consistent taper schedule..or do I need to wait until the anxiety is close to gone before I do the next cut? Does that make sense?

Thanks,
    Sherrie

Thanks for the encouragement! I just don't understand why the anxiety gets soooo bad. If it wasn't for that..I could keep on going..I can handle the pain much better than the anxiety and panic.

Ok, so I am going to cut down to 1.4mg tomorrow and hopefully not need to add any extra slivers.
    Robert....if I can push through the anxiety without adding any slivers and staying on each dose for 4 to 5 days..will the anxiety get worse if I just keep up the consistent taper schedule..or do I need to wait until the anxiety is close to gone before I do the next cut? Does that make sense?

Thanks,
    Sherrie

Just talk with me in a couple days and let's see how you're doing. We do everything according to your symptoms. So I have to see when the time gets here. You'll do fine. God bless.

tucson157 is offline New Member

Hello Robert,
    I recently included you as a friend and you accepted, but I have not been able to contact you privately. I am not getting the link when I click on your avatar. My wife has been on Suboxone for over two years after transitioning from oxycontin and fentanyl for 15 yrs. We started tapering on our own before we found this site. She went from 16 mg a day down to a tiny bit of powder from a crushed 8mg tab over the course of a year. She was stable at that level for almost a month before she took her last dose at 11 pm on Aug. 29. We expected 5 or 6 days of symptoms based on the manufacture's information and Dr's advice. On the seventh day of severe symptoms over the holiday weekend, of course, I found this site and made my first post. Thanks to all that replied for the encouragement and helpfull advice. Got several recomendations that we contact you. She is now almost 10 days off sub, (we didn't find your advice on skipping days or the Thomas recipe until we were already seven days into w/d), and she is still having very frequent and severe restless legs, mild fever, insomnia, and muscle aches. The nausea and diarrhea has subsided. Still anxiousness and very sensative nerves all over. We have employed the Thomas recipe, except for the L-tyrosine. Her Dr prescribed clonidine and she takes 1 mg @ 6 to 8 hours, which seemed to help at first, but not so much now. She is on several other Rx. meds, but the only pain med is a topical cream that contains ketamine. We apply it to her low back and it sometimes seems to give a little relief. She was taking Diflucan until today. We found on the interactions tool that it can slow the body's ability to flush out the Sub. Don't know if what we are experiencing is par for the course or something unusual. How much longer can we expect to deal with this level of symptoms? Is there anything else we can do to deal with it? I have heard of using Mirapex to help with the restless legs, and something about a med called colesteramine? We have a call in to all three of her drs, but no reply yet.

Quote Originally Posted by tucson157 View Post
    Hello Robert,
    I recently included you as a friend and you accepted, but I have not been able to contact you privately. I am not getting the link when I click on your avatar. My wife has been on Suboxone for over two years after transitioning from oxycontin and fentanyl for 15 yrs. We started tapering on our own before we found this site. She went from 16 mg a day down to a tiny bit of powder from a crushed 8mg tab over the course of a year. She was stable at that level for almost a month before she took her last dose at 11 pm on Aug. 29. We expected 5 or 6 days of symptoms based on the manufacture's information and Dr's advice. On the seventh day of severe symptoms over the holiday weekend, of course, I found this site and made my first post. Thanks to all that replied for the encouragement and helpfull advice. Got several recomendations that we contact you. She is now almost 10 days off sub, (we didn't find your advice on skipping days or the Thomas recipe until we were already seven days into w/d), and she is still having very frequent and severe restless legs, mild fever, insomnia, and muscle aches. The nausea and diarrhea has subsided. Still anxiousness and very sensative nerves all over. We have employed the Thomas recipe, except for the L-tyrosine. Her Dr prescribed clonidine and she takes 1 mg @ 6 to 8 hours, which seemed to help at first, but not so much now. She is on several other Rx. meds, but the only pain med is a topical cream that contains ketamine. We apply it to her low back and it sometimes seems to give a little relief. She was taking Diflucan until today. We found on the interactions tool that it can slow the body's ability to flush out the Sub. Don't know if what we are experiencing is par for the course or something unusual. How much longer can we expect to deal with this level of symptoms? Is there anything else we can do to deal with it? I have heard of using Mirapex to help with the restless legs, and something about a med called colesteramine? We have a call in to all three of her drs, but no reply yet.

I'm going to copy and paste this over to a thread with your name on it so you have your own thread. Will just take a second and then I will reply.